Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Horrible maternity leave

Horrible maternity leave

Old Jan 24th 2007, 6:31 am
Thinking about it

BigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Horrible maternity leave

Originally Posted by ironporer
Errr... you just DID.
Go Colts
Old Jan 24th 2007, 8:01 am
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BigDavyG
I won't dignify this with a response, except to say that if you want something, anything then you should pay for it yourself - seems fair to me.
Part of the problem with that remark is that I pay a lot of my income into state and federal taxes - if a program is funded by these taxes I feel no guilt in using them if I happen to qualify. That is what they are there for and that is what my hard work helps to fund. It may not be a nice thing to say but .... I'd rather see a working person such as myself benefit from government programs than somebody who has never worked and has no intention of ever working.
Old Jan 24th 2007, 8:39 am
who turned out the light?

Irn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Leslie66
I'd rather see a working person such as myself benefit from government programs than somebody who has never worked and has no intention of ever working.
*stand up and applause smilie*
Old Jan 24th 2007, 10:34 am

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Question Re: Horrible maternity leave

I won't dignify this with a response, except to say that if you want something, anything then you should pay for it yourself - seems fair to me.

On that basis I would assume that if you were living back in the UK and had a child, you wouldn't claim Child Benefit?
Old Jan 24th 2007, 10:40 am

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Angry Re: Horrible maternity leave

Originally Posted by BritGuyTN
**** off.

a friend of mine's wife wants nothing more than to not work - lazy cow, this is while he has a 1.5 to 2 hour commute to and from work and works a 60 hour week... she even tried to get them to move 2000 miles just so he could have a job where she would not have to work.
Well **** you too. :curse:
Old Jan 24th 2007, 12:25 pm
Mr. Grumpy

BritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Neathborn
I think this is fine if this is what you agreed upon together. However, please don't get the idea that being a stay-at-home mum is "stress free".
I would never think of that - I think a lot of people read between the lines and came up with something that doesn't exist.

Being a stay at home mum from what I can see is far from stress free, but given the personal choice between looking after a couple of sprogs compared to working a 60 hour week (plus commute plus out of state travel (friends of mine)), then I would think the reality is that the company-employed person is under a lot more pressure
Old Jan 24th 2007, 12:27 pm
Account Closed

Sally is an unknown quantity at this point

I would never think of that - I think a lot of people read between the lines and came up with something that doesn't exist.

Being a stay at home mum from what I can see is far from stress free, but given the personal choice between looking after a couple of sprogs compared to working a 60 hour week (plus commute plus out of state travel (friends of mine)), then I would think the reality is that the company-employed person is under a lot more pressure
Both parents working can be even more stressful.
Old Jan 24th 2007, 12:32 pm
Mr. Grumpy

BritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Leslie66
God you sound like a right smug bastard. All of the stress on you? Are you going to carry another life form in your abdomen for 9 months? Are you then going to breast feed said life form?

My suggestion to you is to go get a vasectomy immediately - and then you can spare us from all of your hideous misconceptions about life and parenthood. Apparently, a Porsche is more important to you than your wife or your child, loser.

PS - Based on the highlighted portion of your post - You live in a deluded fantasy world. When real life comes around and shits on you - don't be surprised.

wow, speaking as someone who left home at 17 with nothing, one thing I can't be accused of is living in a fantasy world - I want to be able to give (in moderation) my children the opportunities I never had the chance of.

what would your opinion be if I told me wife I wanted to be the stay at home dad and she would be the one getting home after kids have gone to bed etc...
Old Jan 24th 2007, 12:34 pm
Thinking about it

BigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Englishmum
On that basis I would assume that if you were living back in the UK and had a child, you wouldn't claim Child Benefit?
I wouldn't put myself in a situation where I knew I would had to rely on Child Benefit, or an employer's help that's for sure.
That's pretty much all I've said throughout this thread - what's wrong with that ???
Old Jan 24th 2007, 12:35 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

but given the personal choice between looking after a couple of sprogs compared to working a 60 hour week (plus commute plus out of state travel (friends of mine)), then I would think the reality is that the company-employed person is under a lot more pressure

Uuummmm, yeah right..... FFS, will people that DON'T have kids, nor worked having said kids, at home, just quit deciding they know what the heck they're talking about.
Old Jan 24th 2007, 12:37 pm
Mr. Grumpy

Originally Posted by Sally
Both parents working can be even more stressful.
Totally agree

which is one reason why my wife came up with the idea of us both working a 4 day overlap week

both parties working at 80% has got to be better for the family life as a whole than one working at 150% and one workig at 70%? I'm basing those percentages on my 'case study friends' where he has a middle-upper management job at a a fortune 500 company (just was hospitalised because of a stress related chest condition) and she looks after a 3 year old and a 5 year old full time.
Old Jan 24th 2007, 12:38 pm
Account Closed

TouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really nice

Why don't YOU try it for a few years and see how easy it is? I wonder where people get the idea that it is so easy, especially if you're an intelligent A-Type personality who all of a sudden is stuck in the domestic front coping with all that goes with looking after sprogs.

There are MANY days when I hark back to the halycon days when I buggered out of the house, into my car, all dressed up to the nines in my expensive boutique clothing, and sat working at my desk for 10 or 12 hours a day........ Being a SAHM/D might seem glamorous - but it is far from so - it is a real sacrifice.

I quit and worked from home for the years that the sprogs were small. I was lucky I was able to. My dh and I started a business when we were in our 20's and I was able to run it until it was viable enough for him to quit his job and take over. I was lucky. Many don't have such a choice. They have to work to make ends meet and not everyone has an IQ of 120 whereby they're able to educate themselves further. The majority of the world's population isn't that fortunate. Should they not be allowed to procreate?

Should we have a 'nazi' system of child-bearing? Only reproduce if you can stay home with your child? Most working mothers go through a tremendous amount of angst as it is without having asshole bosses freak out on them for something that is natural and perfectly normal.

Do us a favor. Grow up.
Old Jan 24th 2007, 12:40 pm
Mr. Grumpy

Originally Posted by AmerLisa
Uuummmm, yeah right..... FFS, will people that DON'T have kids, nor worked having said kids, at home, just quit deciding they know what the heck they're talking about.
do you have personal experience on the flip side - i.e. having a high-powered job working for an american corp where they want a pound of flesh and where you boss gives you lectures about working less than 60 hour weeks?

if you do have experience of both, fine, but if not then you also (by your own measure) have no clue what you are talking about. Just presenting the flip side.
Old Jan 24th 2007, 12:42 pm
Thinking about it

Originally Posted by TouristTrap
Should we have a 'nazi' system of child-bearing? Only reproduce if you can stay home with your child?
Haha - just when you think some of these replies can't get any more hysterical someone brings the 'n-word' into it - brilliant
Old Jan 24th 2007, 12:44 pm
who turned out the light?

Irn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond repute

Haha - just when you think some of these replies can't get any more hysterical someone brings the 'n-word' into it - brilliant
It was in quotes and you know what she means

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.