Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Horrible maternity leave

Wikiposts

Horrible maternity leave

Old Jan 24th 2007, 1:08 pm
who turned out the light?

Irn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Horrible maternity leave

Originally Posted by BritGuyTN
she compared me to her sisters husband who sounds like a selfish misogynist, without knowing anything about me - that was the reason for my outburst.

I think pretty much extremes of anything are bad - how can a reasonable balance in life be a negative thing?
Now you are coming across as sort of reasonable but earlier you weren't.
maybe she got what you were like from this earlier post - (*post 164)
I'm sorry I am with her and I am not normally rude but if thats how you feel about your wife telling her what she is 'allowed' to do etc then I really feel sorry for your wife

Originally Posted by BritGuyTN

My wife knows she has no choice but to work - if she wants river property and I want a new porsche and I earn all the money - guess what gets bought - the porsche.

When we first met she did talk about being a stay at home mom but I quickly informed her that this was not acceptable to me - why should the stress be all on me. The fact she had a stay at home mom and her older brother died during an unsupervised activity and her younger brother is an unemployable drug addict loser does not promote the concept for me....

Last edited by Irn-bru; Jan 24th 2007 at 1:12 pm.
Old Jan 24th 2007, 1:09 pm
Account Closed

TouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really nice

Originally Posted by BigDavyG
I don't recall saying anything to the contrary.
However I don't think people should expect any favours from anyone, especially when taking such an important step.

You can call me all the names of the day if you want, but its the people who expect their employers, their colleagues, the government to pick up the slack for them - they're the real ponces.
I see you're a compassionate conservative........
Old Jan 24th 2007, 1:09 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Who said that you silly cow - jaysus its like trying to debate with a washing machine.

Show me where I, or anyone else on this thread has said anything remotely like that - I dare you
So now you are resorting to name calling.......... tosser...
Old Jan 24th 2007, 1:14 pm
Mr. Grumpy

BritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by irnbru4u
I'm sorry I am with her and I am not normally rude but if thats how you feel about your wife telling her what she is 'allowed' to do etc then I really feel sorry for your wife

to be fair this was at an early stage of our relationship, a long time before I moved over here for her - keeping everything up front was I thought a pretty good way of setting expectations - at that stage its a lot easier for either partner to go a different route.

I can assure you, the only thing I've EVER told me wife to do is forbidding her to drink (alchohol) and drive - anything else and I would get a slap (or more likely just laughed at)
Old Jan 24th 2007, 1:15 pm
Thinking about it

BigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Elvira
So now you are resorting to name calling.......... tosser...
That's ok - just ignore the actual question - like I said - like arguing with a washing machine
Old Jan 24th 2007, 1:17 pm
Thinking about it

BigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TouristTrap
If men gave birth, I wonder how long paid maternity leave without any hassles would be......
Brilliant.
So this is how arguing by numbers works.
Old Jan 24th 2007, 1:22 pm
Account Closed

TouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really nice

Brilliant.
So this is how arguing by numbers works.
Listen son, until you have walked this particular walk, your opinion counts pennies. Leave it to those who have trodden this particular road before to truly understand why the OP is outraged at her superior.
Old Jan 24th 2007, 1:24 pm
Account Closed

Sally is an unknown quantity at this point

That's ok - just ignore the actual question - like I said - like arguing with a washing machine
The government and employers "pick up the tab" for a lot of things. You probably didn't pay for every penny of your education and healthcare. It so happens that women bear children, so they are the ones needing to take time off and have their job kept open. To say that a couple who need both incomes can never have children is unworkable and in my view unnecessary. The unbridled power of corporations should in my view be tempered with social responsibility, and then again many do wish to retain competent women staff.

I must say I think it is you who have shown unreasonble anger bordering on hysteria throught the course of this thread. Do you plan to have kids yourself?
Old Jan 24th 2007, 1:30 pm
Thinking about it

Originally Posted by TouristTrap
Listen son, until you have walked this particular walk, your opinion counts pennies. Leave it to those who have trodden this particular road before to truly understand why the OP is outraged at her superior.
Son ????
Was your bingo cancelled tonight super gran ???
Old Jan 24th 2007, 1:31 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Son ????
Was your bingo cancelled tonight super gran ???
Is name-calling and belittling those you disagree with the best you can do?
Old Jan 24th 2007, 1:40 pm
Thinking about it

Originally Posted by Sally
I must say I think it is you who have shown unreasonble anger bordering on hysteria throught the course of this thread. Do you plan to have kids yourself?
OMG
I haven't called anyone a Nazi - so not sure where your getting the hysteria from.
This is what makes me wonder about you - you can go from taking part in a sensible debate to making really stupid and baseless statements when your 'mates' show up - its not a great quality to be honest, but I'll just leave it there.
This is becoming a bit of a waste of time which is a shame, but hardly unexpected.
Old Jan 24th 2007, 1:40 pm
Thinking about it

Originally Posted by Elvira
Is name-calling and belittling those you disagree with the best you can do?
How come you still haven't replied to my earlier question ???

Just curious, that's all.
Old Jan 24th 2007, 1:46 pm
Homebody

How come you still haven't replied to my earlier question ???

Just curious, that's all.
Because I can't be arsed to 'debate' with someone like you.

Go read my earlier posts - I think I just about covered the main issues.
Old Jan 24th 2007, 1:52 pm
Account Closed

Sally is an unknown quantity at this point

OMG
I haven't called anyone a Nazi - so not sure where your getting the hysteria from.
This is what makes me wonder about you - you can go from taking part in a sensible debate to making really stupid and baseless statements when your 'mates' show up - its not a great quality to be honest, but I'll just leave it there.
This is becoming a bit of a waste of time which is a shame, but hardly unexpected.
You get so angry...I don't know why.

No-one called you a nazi.
Old Jan 24th 2007, 2:06 pm
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

OMFG.

BGT -- there's no way you and your wife will both find employers willing to let you work four-day weeks. To find one that will allow one of you to do it will be miraculous enough.

Paid maternity leave is budgeted for in the same way as other sick leave and vacation. If someone decides to forgo having kids, does that mean no one should take paid maternity leave? By that reasoning, those who take their full vacation entitlement are greedy bastards compared to those who don't feel the need to take a vacation.

Being pregnant, delivering, and recovering from the birth of my kids is the hardest thing I have ever done. No other illness or injury comes close. A charting error led to the nurses insisting that I hadn't lost blood.... until a routine test showed that I was in critical condition and needed an immediate blood transfusion. I had a hematocrit of 4.0 and couldn't walk. I didn't sue, despite having to stay in bed and rest for two more months past birth due to these complications. And I wasn't working then, so those two months weren't on anyone's else's tab.

I have been a part-time worker, a full-time worker, a stay-at-home mom, married, separated/divorced, remarried. Raising kids is far harder than working. Staying at home without an adult to talk to can drive you mad. Oh, and all the places at "mother's day out" were full while I was a stay-at-home. Currently I share custody with my ex-husband and work full-time while my husband stays home to study to get into a career that pays above poverty level wages. I work in a field that demands long hours and is male-dominated. I fought for four years to get back into my career after staying at home. My ex-husband sailed through since he'd been the one to keep the job. He makes twice as much as I do, for doing the same job, as a result.

To the OP: take as much time as you want to take. You'll never get this time back. You may be denied pay rises and promotions because you did it (I worked part-time for six months and was denied a pay rise/promotion for three years in retaliation and was explicitly told so long after the fact by a repentant ex-boss). In that case, get another job down the line. Plenty of guys get into car wrecks, or injure themselves at sports, or have massive coronaries, and have to take time away from work, and surprisingly, they aren't coerced into returning early. I wonder why?

If your marriage is so bad that you begrudge your spouse spending "your" money and the two of you can't agree on finances, then you don't have a marriage, you have a roommate. If you would be jealous if your wife didn't work and you had to, what are you going to think when 99.999% of her time energy and attention go to the baby and not you?

I knew chivalry had died out but I thought that Neanderthals had gone extinct as well.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.