Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Here are my goals - which US state?

Here are my goals - which US state?

Old May 29th 2015, 8:30 pm

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Here are my goals - which US state?

Originally Posted by Pulaski
I ate some gator once. It was chewy, almost rubbery. I suspect that the chef didn't know how to cook it properly.
I've had it half a dozen times, but rarely by "choice" - normally included in one of those sharing platter things. Most of those it came out a bit like tasteless ccubes of calamari, but once it was quite tasty and tender - tasted like chicken...
Old May 29th 2015, 8:31 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Yorkieabroad
I've had it half a dozen times, but rarely by "choice" - normally included in one of those sharing platter things. Most of those it came out a bit like tasteless ccubes of calamari, but once it was quite tasty and tender - tasted like chicken...
That would be my description too - texture of calamari, on the over-done side, with a chickeny flavour.
Old May 29th 2015, 8:39 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by WEBlue
Not sure what you mean by 'monster'. However, NC does indeed get destructive, even fatal, tornadoes.

At the risk of repeating myself in this thread (first pointed out in post #50), this page from North Carolina State University says: .....
I read what you posted previously, but you apparently ignored my follow-up post entirely.

That must be a different North Carolina. ...... As per Yorkie's concerns about generalization of the weather in Texas, that is certainly not related to anything in the part of NC that I inhabit. ..... I suspect that most of those 22 deaths were related to the extraordinary tornado that demolished a Lowes near Raleigh, which as I said above, was extraordinary exactly because it was so very rare. Again, as I said above, they usually remove some guttering and roof shingles or remove a few tree limbs. I can assure you that they are nothing to lose any sleep over in NC. Anyone from Oklahoma would laugh at what get called "tornadoes" in NC.
Old May 29th 2015, 8:39 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

I ate some gator once. It was chewy, almost rubbery. I suspect that the chef didn't know how to cook it properly.
They taste like chicken....just fatty, chewy chicken. Usually covered in buckets of salt.

Gators are best turned into boots and bags I think...or wallets.
Old May 30th 2015, 1:04 am
Under blue skies

WEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond repute

I read what you posted previously, but you apparently ignored my follow-up post entirely.
I did read your (rebuttal) post, and carefully. You seemed to say tornadoes are rare and small in the Piedmont (--not sure where that is, but it might be where you live).

However, this latest post of mine was in response to your somewhat blanket statement that

So some parts of Texas get the monster tornadoes, whereas nowhere in NC does. I will try to make that clear in future discussions of differential meteorology.
I just want to make sure any newbies reading know that NC as a whole (not your part of it) does get tornadoes and occasionally big ones.

We all know your part of NC has no worrisome weather.
Old May 30th 2015, 1:32 am

I did read your (rebuttal) post, and carefully. You seemed to say tornadoes are rare and small in the Piedmont (--not sure where that is, but it might be where you live).

However, this latest post of mine was in response to your somewhat blanket statement that

I just want to make sure any newbies reading know that NC as a whole (not your part of it) does get tornadoes and occasionally big ones.

We all know your part of NC has no worrisome weather.
The only "monster" tornado in recent years was the one in 2011 that demolished the Lowes. I don't know when there was another one of that size that caused so much damage, except that I know that it was prior to 2003 when I moved here, and given the amount of publicity given to "the Lowes tornado", I suspect it was many years since the previous one

To be totally clear: there are relatively few tornadoes in the Carolinas, those that do form are mostly on the coastal plain, and almost all of those are pip-squeak tornadoes.

The Carolinas are divided into the coastal plain, the mountains, and a broad swath in between of hill, undulating ground known as the piedmont, I would guess around 80-100 miles wide. The hills seem to disrupt a storm's ability to form funnel clouds.

Here is a map, showing tornado fatalities over a 54 year period. If I count correctly there are 81, or about 1.5 deaths per year. In terms or deaths and risk I would make a large bet on there being many more deaths each year in NC from trees falling on houses and cars than from tornades.

As you can see, most counties have no fatalities over the 54 year period, even on the coastal plain. The figures make more sense if reviewed in context of the number of tornadoes that cause fatalities over the same period. You will see that most counties with one or more fatalities have only had one in 54 years that caused fatalities. Four counties had two, none had more than two.

By my count there appear to have been 27 tornadoes that caused one or more fatalities, or one every two years, so that statistic also shows tornadoes to be a rare phenomena anywhere in NC, even on the coast plain.

Last edited by Pulaski; May 30th 2015 at 2:29 am.
Old May 30th 2015, 8:08 am
Forum Regular

kancell will become famous soon enoughkancell will become famous soon enough

Certainly a storm brewing in this thread.....
Old May 30th 2015, 10:15 am
Under blue skies

WEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond repute

The only "monster" tornado in recent years was the one in 2011 that demolished the Lowes. I don't know when there was another one of that size that caused so much damage, except that I know that it was prior to 2003 when I moved here, and given the amount of publicity given to "the Lowes tornado", I suspect it was many years since the previous one

To be totally clear: there are relatively few tornadoes in the Carolinas, those that do form are mostly on the coastal plain, and almost all of those are pip-squeak tornadoes.

The Carolinas are divided into the coastal plain, the mountains, and a broad swath in between of hill, undulating ground known as the piedmont, I would guess around 80-100 miles wide. The hills seem to disrupt a storm's ability to form funnel clouds.

Here is a map, showing tornado fatalities over a 54 year period. If I count correctly there are 81, or about 1.5 deaths per year. In terms or deaths and risk I would make a large bet on there being many more deaths each year in NC from trees falling on houses and cars than from tornades.

http://nc-climate.ncsu.edu/images/cl...talities_c.jpg

As you can see, most counties have no fatalities over the 54 year period, even on the coastal plain. The figures make more sense if reviewed in context of the number of tornadoes that cause fatalities over the same period. You will see that most counties with one or more fatalities have only had one in 54 years that caused fatalities. Four counties had two, none had more than two.

http://nc-climate.ncsu.edu/images/cl...ornadoes_c.jpg
By my count there appear to have been 27 tornadoes that caused one or more fatalities, or one every two years, so that statistic also shows tornadoes to be a rare phenomena anywhere in NC, even on the coast plain.
Yes, I'm in agreement with you that NC (as a whole) does have some deadly, fatal tornadoes. That was my point.

Now we're all more educated on this subject, this is very clear.
Old May 30th 2015, 11:17 am

Yes, I'm in agreement with you that NC (as a whole) does have some deadly, fatal tornadoes. That was my point.

Now we're all more educated on this subject, this is very clear.
You say you "agree" with me, but I certainly don't agree with you, because my point is that the risk of tornadoes in NC is so remote that it can for all practical purposes be ignored, whereas you seem to think tornadoes in NC are a significant risk.

My post above tried to illustrate that the risk is extremely remote - in the 54 years covered by the maps above, in 77 /100 counties there wasn't a single death caused by a tornado - empirically, over more than half a life time the risk is zero. In another nine counties there was just one death, which in common parlance would be described as a "freak occurance".

I will admit the risk of being killed by a tornado is not as remote as in Connecticut ..... which also has a history of deadly tornadoes.

Last edited by Pulaski; May 30th 2015 at 11:31 am.
Old May 31st 2015, 10:17 am
Under blue skies

You say you "agree" with me, but I certainly don't agree with you, because my point is that the risk of tornadoes in NC is so remote that it can for all practical purposes be ignored, whereas you seem to think tornadoes in NC are a significant risk.

My post above tried to illustrate that the risk is extremely remote - in the 54 years covered by the maps above, in 77 /100 counties there wasn't a single death caused by a tornado - empirically, over more than half a life time the risk is zero. In another nine counties there was just one death, which in common parlance would be described as a "freak occurance".
Yes, we could go back & forth all day with links that prove our points. My link says tornadoes are a risk in NC, yours says not for half a century in 3/4s of the state.

I think we're down to splitting hairs here. Bad weather happens everywhere--perhaps people who love where they live notice the local weather episodes less (or become less upset) than those who are not so happy with their location. But to say, "My state has very little 'bad' weather" seems to be opening oneself up to rebuttals.... A bit of hubris just begging to be deflated, as it were.

I will admit the risk of being killed by a tornado is not as remote as in Connecticut ..... which also has a history of deadly tornadoes.

Yes, shall we agree that all US states have "history" of severe weather?

Even NC...