Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Here are my goals - which US state?

Here are my goals - which US state?

Old Mar 4th 2015, 3:49 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Here are my goals - which US state?

Originally Posted by kancell
play school/pre school activities. if we enjoy it, who knows, we may stay, the world is our lobster.....
I know somewhere that scores strongly/ very strongly on your second, third, and fourth bullets.

It also scores fairly strongly on the first bullet with a slight caveat on education, moderately on the fifth bullet, but not strongly on the sixth bullet unless you want to watch a second rate basket ball team or a third rate gridiron football team; a pro-soccer team has just been launched.

The area also has a direct flight to London, with a second daily flight about to be launched, and a low risk of tornadoes, a negligible risk of hurricanes, and no risk of anything other than highly localized flooding or minor earth tremors.

Originally Posted by Anian
Your problem is that the item in red conflicts massively with the other things you list: .....
Not necessarily!

Last edited by Pulaski; Mar 4th 2015 at 3:51 pm.
Old Mar 4th 2015, 5:18 pm
Forum Regular

kancell will become famous soon enoughkancell will become famous soon enough

Cincinnati, Cleveland and various other smaller cities in ohio seem to have lots of suitable jobs. There are also a few in oak Brook terrace in illonois and wisconsin. Don't know much about any of these states to be honest
Old Mar 4th 2015, 5:21 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Pulaski
I know somewhere that scores strongly/ very strongly on your second, third, and fourth bullets.

It also scores fairly strongly on the first bullet with a slight caveat on education, moderately on the fifth bullet, but not strongly on the sixth bullet unless you want to watch a second rate basket ball team or a third rate gridiron football team; a pro-soccer team has just been launched.

The area also has a direct flight to London, with a second daily flight about to be launched, and a low risk of tornadoes, a negligible risk of hurricanes, and no risk of anything other than highly localized flooding or minor earth tremors.

Not necessarily!
Oh go on then, you're such a tease....
Old Mar 4th 2015, 5:29 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Owen778
If the biggest issue is finding somewhere drier, Oregon is not the answer. I just looked it up, and annual rainfall in Portland is 30% higher than Dundee.
Have you lived in Oregon? Sure it rains but mostly during the winter months. Certainly it rarely rains hard enough during the day that being outside is a problem.

It has rained one day in about the last 10 days and there is no rain forecast for the next week. In the summer months it is mainly dry, an odd day when it rains. Portland is an hour from the mountains with hiking and skiing, and depending on where you go 90 to 120 minutes from the coast. The climate is reasonable to live in. Not too cold in the winter and mostly not too hot and humid in the summer.
Old Mar 4th 2015, 5:31 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Oh go on then, you're such a tease....
North Carolina, specifically the piedmont region, which includes Charlotte as the largest city, but extends into north western South Carolina.

From the Charlotte area you're looking at 3 hrs to the coast, and a couple of hours to the mountains. Three bed detached houses in the 'burbs start about $150k for 1,500-2,000 sqft , and $200-$250k will get you a 4 bed house, upto around 2,500 sqft.
Old Mar 4th 2015, 5:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

kins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond repute

I'm in Portland Maine, and if you can cope with 4 months of sub-zero temperatures and enormous snowfall (which we manage mostly by skiing a lot) then you'll get almost everything on your list. The downside is it can be hard to find jobs outside of Portland, depending on what you do. And the sub-zero temperatures of course...
Old Mar 4th 2015, 5:35 pm

Cincinnati, Cleveland and various other smaller cities in ohio seem to have lots of suitable jobs. There are also a few in oak Brook terrace in illonois and wisconsin. Don't know much about any of these states to be honest
How much snow and cold weather do you like in the winter? They can be seriously cold ..... think below zero, ..... Farenheit!
Old Mar 4th 2015, 5:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

Owen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lansbury
Have you lived in Oregon? Sure it rains but mostly during the winter months. Certainly it rarely rains hard enough during the day that being outside is a problem.
No, I have not. I'm hoping to visit the Pacific Northwest this summer for our family vacation, though it may be Washington rather than Oregon this time.

But then I'm pretty sure I'd be happy enough with the weather in Portland, or in Dundee, which, being on Scotland's east coast, isn't actually very wet. The OP seems to think it's too wet, though, which means Oregon would be too.
Old Mar 4th 2015, 6:15 pm
Forum Regular

Aye as you say, it isn't even that wet in Dundee, it's supposedly the driest and sunniest place in Scotland, however all things are relative ha ha.

My problem with the climate here is when it does rain, it pretty much always seems to at the weekend ha ha. Also, we don't get a summer, the hottest it ever gets is 20 degrees really. Before quickly fading back into a pretty dark cloudy and dreary winter for 6 months. I could handle the winter if I knew the summer was going to be good but it never is. If you're going to do winter then do it properly I guess, bring on the low temperature, snow and the nice crisp clean blue sky days.
Old Mar 4th 2015, 6:21 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

We have not had rain since September.

Last few days have been weird, even now it is showing 24 outside but all the weather sources have a high of 12 all day.
Old Mar 4th 2015, 6:26 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

Aye as you say, it isn't even that wet in Dundee, it's supposedly the driest and sunniest place in Scotland, however all things are relative ha ha.

My problem with the climate here is when it does rain, it pretty much always seems to at the weekend ha ha. Also, we don't get a summer, the hottest it ever gets is 20 degrees really. Before quickly fading back into a pretty dark cloudy and dreary winter for 6 months. I could handle the winter if I knew the summer was going to be good but it never is. If you're going to do winter then do it properly I guess, bring on the low temperature, snow and the nice crisp clean blue sky days.
Portland will be from 20C to 32C during the summer. Some days hotter. Summer is from July to at least end of September and often well into October, with hardly any rain. Winter this year has been very mild. While the east coast got hammered we have had temps in the 10C to 15C range in February. This weekend it could possible hit 20C on Sunday.
Old Mar 4th 2015, 6:33 pm

Portland will be from 20C to 32C during the summer. Some days hotter. Summer is from July to at least end of September and often well into October, with hardly any rain. Winter this year has been very mild. While the north east coast got hammered ......
FIFY

You might be 2,500 miles away, but there is a lot more to "the east coast" than DC, New York and Boston!

It's been cooler than average here this winter, but most days in my neck of the woods have had highs in the 10°-15°C range.

Last edited by Pulaski; Mar 4th 2015 at 6:36 pm.
Old Mar 4th 2015, 6:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

Owen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond repute

Portland will be from 20C to 32C during the summer. Some days hotter. Summer is from July to at least end of September and often well into October, with hardly any rain. Winter this year has been very mild. While the east coast got hammered we have had temps in the 10C to 15C range in February. This weekend it could possible hit 20C on Sunday.
Bear in mind that this winter is abnormal, though.

I know this, because I've been looking to go skiing at spring break, and there's barely any snow on any of the ranges close to the west coast. It's mostly that it's been so much warmer than usual, though I think the amount of precipitation is also below average.
Old Mar 4th 2015, 6:41 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Denver was mentioned earlier, record snow levels for February.

Odd bearing in mind one day hit 75.
Old Mar 4th 2015, 6:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Boiler
Denver was mentioned earlier, record snow levels for February.
Yes. And that's why I'm flying to Aspen (Snowmass) on Saturday.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.