Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Here are my goals - which US state?

Here are my goals - which US state?

Old Mar 4th 2015, 11:31 am
Forum Regular

kancell will become famous soon enoughkancell will become famous soon enough
Default Here are my goals - which US state?

Hey guys,

I recently posted about applying for an internal job at GE in San Ramon, California. I’ve since been reviewing the others options across America and Europe.

It got me thinking about what I want to achieve from moving and what is important to me and whereabouts I may find the sort of lifestyle that would suit us, an early 30’s married couple with a 1 year old son.

I would prioritise as follows:

• Safe family friendly environment with good educational opportunities.
• A warm climate that will allow us to spend more time outdoors than we can in Scotland.
• Nice scenery and catered to outdoor pursuits, think hills, forests, mountains, lakes, beaches etc
• Reasonable salary expectations, housing and living costs.
• Varied culture, eating, dining and festivals.
• Sport, opportunities to play and watch as much as possible - ok so this is just me!! Ha ha!

Many places in Europe offer these goals (think Italy and Spain) but I’m really unsure as to which states might also. I’m aware that I’m in pursuit of Utopia, and perhaps one or two will need to be traded off as compromise but I’m interested to hear peoples perspectives.

From limited research it sounds like Oregon, California and Arizona may be suitable perhaps Florida.... but what do you think?

Last edited by kancell; Mar 4th 2015 at 11:34 am.
Old Mar 4th 2015, 12:56 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Here are my goals - which US state?

There isn't going to be one location that exactly meets all your requirements, but be wary about selecting a location based on mild winter weather because the trade-off is almost always offensively hot and/or humid weather in the summer.

In the states you mention, and many more besides, education is not generally given the priority that we are used to in the UK. Worse, to a fair degree, housing costs are related to the quality of education, so access to the best schools is often linked to living in the most expensive part of town.

Hiking or biking in the woods and mountains, while certainly popular pastimes in the US, have very different risks to the same activities in the UK with the very real risk of meeting bears, venomous snakes, and wild cats up to and including mountain lions. Then there is the matter of hunting on public and private land - you will almost certainly hear gunfire at least during part of the year while out in the countryside.

Last edited by Pulaski; Mar 4th 2015 at 1:25 pm.
Old Mar 4th 2015, 2:20 pm
Just Joined

ryanintheworld is an unknown quantity at this point

It's complicated, and you may need to visit and do some deep personal research to decide. I rank them as OR > CA > AZ > FL. I have never physically been in Florida. That ranking is pure personal preferences of mine subject to your priority list based on personal experience and word of mouth. I second Pulaski in re expense as related to educational quality. I disagree insofar as I think that outdoor opportunities in can be found of low risk (although I trespassed on bear territory in Washington state in February, but I never was in real danger).
Old Mar 4th 2015, 2:31 pm
Forum Regular

I think the city that I have visited before that most closely ticks the above boxes is Vancouver and the Rockies, sadly my company doesn't have any suitable business there.

I guess that is where my thought process has been leading me to west coast of USA. However I don't know much about other states in USA, so keen to hear what others think of where they live or visit.

I'm aware there will have to be trade offs, but it's nice to at least know what is important and what can be traded. I could accept 3 months of winter if it was nice sunny blue sky dry -15 snow conditions, however I just hate the dark, cloudy, rainy miserable winters we have in Scotland as I feel I am couped up.
Old Mar 4th 2015, 2:35 pm
Just Joined

ryanintheworld is an unknown quantity at this point

I love Vancouver, BC, and I lover Portland, OR, however, if you want to avoid darkness and clouds, then you've got to decide how hot (AZ is hot and dry but surprisingly lovely) and how humid (FL is humid) and how expensive (CA would probably take the cake, but you can spend money anywhere) you want to live. I know it's hard. Oregon may be the most Scotland-like without being too dreadful (to ease the transition), but I've never actually been to Scotland so that should be taken with a grain or more of salt.
Old Mar 4th 2015, 2:50 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Bears around here are sleeping.
Old Mar 4th 2015, 2:59 pm
BE Practitioner (Level 2)

username.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond repute

I'm aware there will have to be trade offs, but it's nice to at least know what is important and what can be traded. I could accept 3 months of winter if it was nice sunny blue sky dry -15 snow conditions, however I just hate the dark, cloudy, rainy miserable winters we have in Scotland as I feel I am couped up.
When you get a sunny winter's day in Vancouver, it can be absolutely stunning - the mountains in the background with a fresh frosting of snow... absolutely exceptional. Unfortunately, most days are definitely not like this - winters there are very, very grey with lots of rain. Not just the damp misty kind, I'm talking torrential downpours day after day (lived there for six years, loved it though). Summers are lovely there, but same length as English ones.

This is my first Arizona winter, but I'm really enjoying it so far. It's been beautifully sunny, most days are shorts and flip-flop days and we love to go hiking in the mountains which are surprisingly close (you can get a backpack to chuck the kids into). It's quite affordable, as well.

The one place that seems to tick most of your boxes is California... however do not underestimate how eye-wateringly expensive it can be to live in a nice part that ticks your boxes - don't forget, your list is basically the same as mine and most other people's too.
Old Mar 4th 2015, 3:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

Owen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond repute

If the biggest issue is finding somewhere drier, Oregon is not the answer. I just looked it up, and annual rainfall in Portland is 30% higher than Dundee.

But then, if not being able to be outside is a problem, you will find that Arizona is just too hot for much of the summer. And large parts of inland California have the same issue, to a lesser extent. San Francisco doesn't, but it gets plenty of fog instead.
Old Mar 4th 2015, 3:08 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

The OP might want to include the risk of hurricanes, tornadoes, flooding, and wildfires in his criteria.
Old Mar 4th 2015, 3:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

rebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kancell
Hey guys,

I recently posted about applying for an internal job at GE in San Ramon, California. I’ve since been reviewing the others options across America and Europe.

It got me thinking about what I want to achieve from moving and what is important to me and whereabouts I may find the sort of lifestyle that would suit us, an early 30’s married couple with a 1 year old son.

I would prioritise as follows:

• A warm climate that will allow us to spend more time outdoors than we can in Scotland.
• Nice scenery and catered to outdoor pursuits, think hills, forests, mountains, lakes, beaches etc
• Sport, opportunities to play and watch as much as possible - ok so this is just me!! Ha ha!

Many places in Europe offer these goals (think Italy and Spain) but I’m really unsure as to which states might also. I’m aware that I’m in pursuit of Utopia, and perhaps one or two will need to be traded off as compromise but I’m interested to hear peoples perspectives.

From limited research it sounds like Oregon, California and Arizona may be suitable perhaps Florida.... but what do you think?
Does your company offer any opportunities in other parts of the UK? Looking at your wish list, it seems to me that where I am in Dorset ticks pretty much all of those boxes - except perhaps access to actual mountains rather than gentle hills
Old Mar 4th 2015, 3:31 pm
Forum Regular

Yup, but looking to live out a dream and have a global adventure for a few years before son is school age. Plenty working years left in UK.
Old Mar 4th 2015, 3:34 pm

Originally Posted by kancell
Yup, but looking to live out a dream and have a global adventure for a few years before son is school age. Plenty working years left in UK.
If you're looking at returning to the UK before your son starts school, why did you include "educational opportunities" in your first bullet?
Old Mar 4th 2015, 3:35 pm
Forum Regular

Rickyk is on a distinguished road

Utah
Northern Utah does have a real winter but you can't ski without that.
Summers are relatively hot but low humidity
Cost of living is low(ish)
Some spectacular scenery
Plenty of sport, college mainly
Culture, its there if you look.
GE have a presence in Utah, not sure which division
Old Mar 4th 2015, 3:36 pm
Forum Regular

play school/pre school activities. if we enjoy it, who knows, we may stay, the world is our lobster.....
Old Mar 4th 2015, 3:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

Anian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond repute

Your problem is that the item in red conflicts massively with the other things you list:

The nicest places tend to be the most expensive places.

Don't forget that climate varies massively within states. Washington State contains both incredibly dry climates with rainforests, temperate area by the coast and extreme heat/cold inland. I always liked Denver in Colorado because despite the actual temperature it doesn't feel as cold or hot due to the low humidity and altitude.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.