Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Here are my goals - which US state?

Here are my goals - which US state?

Old Mar 4th 2015, 8:52 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Here are my goals - which US state?

Originally Posted by kancell
• Reasonable salary expectations, housing and living costs.
The reasonable housing and living costs would rule out MA, well the Boston metro area and the cold winters, but the other points are all ticked. Plus it's a decent tech/science hub.

All moot if you don't have offices to transfer here though.
Old Mar 4th 2015, 9:05 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Hey guys,

I recently posted about applying for an internal job at GE in San Ramon, California. I’ve since been reviewing the others options across America and Europe.

It got me thinking about what I want to achieve from moving and what is important to me and whereabouts I may find the sort of lifestyle that would suit us, an early 30’s married couple with a 1 year old son.

I would prioritise as follows:

• Safe family friendly environment with good educational opportunities.
• A warm climate that will allow us to spend more time outdoors than we can in Scotland.
• Nice scenery and catered to outdoor pursuits, think hills, forests, mountains, lakes, beaches etc
• Varied culture, eating, dining and festivals.
• Sport, opportunities to play and watch as much as possible - ok so this is just me!! Ha ha!

Many places in Europe offer these goals (think Italy and Spain) but I’m really unsure as to which states might also. I’m aware that I’m in pursuit of Utopia, and perhaps one or two will need to be traded off as compromise but I’m interested to hear peoples perspectives.

From limited research it sounds like Oregon, California and Arizona may be suitable perhaps Florida.... but what do you think?
The USA isn't really the place to go for safety

What sort of varied culture? If you mean art and music, that tends to be in the more expensive parts. Otherwise it's strip malls and a cinema. If you mean different cultural backgrounds, you will tend to find there's a lot of segregation.

Hot places are also hard to do sports and outdoor pursuits in, again unless you have the money to live in the pleasanter parts eg Malibu rather than east LA.
Old Mar 4th 2015, 9:29 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
The USA isn't really the place to go for safety. ...., you will tend to find there's a lot of segregation. ......
Your comment about segregation really relates to the "safety" of living in the US too. The high homicide rate in the US is confined largely to certain ethnic groups and related to drugs, gangs, and other criminal activity. Most of the rest is domestic violence in households with guns.

In practice, if you live in the leafy 'burbs, don't rely on non-prescription pharmaceuticals for your income or recreation (and stay away from people who do, and the parts of town where they do business), and don't keep a gun in your house, the risk of living in the US is not significantly different from living in the UK.

Last edited by Pulaski; Mar 4th 2015 at 9:33 pm.
Old Mar 4th 2015, 9:45 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Gun? High fructose sugar maybe.
Old Mar 4th 2015, 9:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

I think the city that I have visited before that most closely ticks the above boxes is Vancouver and the Rockies, sadly my company doesn't have any suitable business there.

I guess that is where my thought process has been leading me to west coast of USA. However I don't know much about other states in USA, so keen to hear what others think of where they live or visit.

I'm aware there will have to be trade offs, but it's nice to at least know what is important and what can be traded. I could accept 3 months of winter if it was nice sunny blue sky dry -15 snow conditions, however I just hate the dark, cloudy, rainy miserable winters we have in Scotland as I feel I am couped up.
Did you visit Vancouver in the winter? It gets a lot of cloud/rain from late fall to early spring. Otherwise I would have suggested Seattle, WA which is close to Vancouver.
Old Mar 5th 2015, 4:27 am
BE Enthusiast

jeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond repute

Hey guys,

I recently posted about applying for an internal job at GE in San Ramon, California. I’ve since been reviewing the others options across America and Europe.

It got me thinking about what I want to achieve from moving and what is important to me and whereabouts I may find the sort of lifestyle that would suit us, an early 30’s married couple with a 1 year old son.

I would prioritise as follows:

• Safe family friendly environment with good educational opportunities.
• A warm climate that will allow us to spend more time outdoors than we can in Scotland.
• Nice scenery and catered to outdoor pursuits, think hills, forests, mountains, lakes, beaches etc
• Varied culture, eating, dining and festivals.
• Sport, opportunities to play and watch as much as possible - ok so this is just me!! Ha ha!

Many places in Europe offer these goals (think Italy and Spain) but I’m really unsure as to which states might also. I’m aware that I’m in pursuit of Utopia, and perhaps one or two will need to be traded off as compromise but I’m interested to hear peoples perspectives.

From limited research it sounds like Oregon, California and Arizona may be suitable perhaps Florida.... but what do you think?
Married w/children, Cincinnati or Pittsburgh, Pa may do:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cincinnati
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pittsburgh
Old Mar 5th 2015, 12:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

Redwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Your comment about segregation really relates to the "safety" of living in the US too. The high homicide rate in the US is confined largely to certain ethnic groups and related to drugs, gangs, and other criminal activity. Most of the rest is domestic violence in households with guns.
Old Mar 5th 2015, 1:10 pm
Forum Regular

kancell will become famous soon enoughkancell will become famous soon enough

North Carolina, specifically the piedmont region, which includes Charlotte as the largest city, but extends into north western South Carolina.

From the Charlotte area you're looking at 3 hrs to the coast, and a couple of hours to the mountains. Three bed detached houses in the 'burbs start about $150k for 1,500-2,000 sqft , and $200-$250k will get you a 4 bed house, upto around 2,500 sqft.
Ok so how does South Carolina compare with North? Just seen a good job in Greenville, looked at the wiki and it seems like an altogether nice place.... reasonable climate, low crime rates, arts, sports.... too good to be true???

Just noticed that this really isn't far away from Charlotte area also.

Last edited by kancell; Mar 5th 2015 at 1:14 pm.
Old Mar 5th 2015, 1:13 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

The OP might want to include the risk of hurricanes, tornadoes, flooding, and wildfires in his criteria.
And mudslides.
Old Mar 5th 2015, 1:16 pm

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

Asking for a "state" is probably a bit too vague, because in every state you mention (heck, in most cities you will eventually start to narrow it down to) you'll have places that meet and that fail your expectation list. Good safe schools with decent housing can be only a few miles away from crap schools with drug dealers and trailer parks.

Do you have a more specific list of options? While I know GE is kind of humungous they probably don't have a position available for you in all 50 states and if you could turn it more into an A-B-C-or-D it would be easier than pick one of 50. If you can narrow it down a bit we can probably provide a much better reply.

Thanks

Last edited by penguinsix; Mar 5th 2015 at 1:21 pm.
Old Mar 5th 2015, 1:34 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Ok so how does South Carolina compare with North? Just seen a good job in Greenville, looked at the wiki and it seems like an altogether nice place.... reasonable climate, low crime rates, arts, sports.... too good to be true???

Just noticed that this really isn't far away from Charlotte area also.
I'd happily live there, certainly. There is a divide between the Carolina's over the school systems, with people on both sides of the state line swearing that their side is better. Lots of people from the Charlotte area have "fled" down to Rockhill and Fortmill, SC, often citing Charlotte schools as a reason to leave (like many big cities Charlotte schools have all sorts of "urban problems", but even so have been appalling badly managed, with the actions of the recently fired school district manager taking decisions that led to 30% teacher turnover in a single year! ) ..... But I digress.

Anyhow, yeah, Greenville SC is a nice area, very similar to my neck of the woods.
Old Mar 5th 2015, 1:49 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

...and stay away from people who do...
Which might be unintentionally harder than expected, with all the Joneses and their illicit prescription habits
Old Mar 5th 2015, 2:03 pm

The OP might want to include the risk of hurricanes, tornadoes, flooding, and wildfires in his criteria.
Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
And mudslides.
And Earthquakes.

We have low-no risk of any of the above.
Old Mar 5th 2015, 2:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

HumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond repute

In practice, if you live in the leafy 'burbs, don't rely on non-prescription pharmaceuticals for your income or recreation (and stay away from people who do, and the parts of town where they do business), and don't keep a gun in your house, the risk of living in the US is not significantly different from living in the UK.
- Yup
Old Mar 5th 2015, 8:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

kins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond repute

I've lived here 7 years. A few years ago a house on our street was burgled. It was such an unusual occurence that the police went door to door telling us that we really ought to start locking our doors. I do remember sometimes now...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.