Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Florida, California or UK?!

Florida, California or UK?!

Old Feb 20th 2014, 6:14 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Florida, California or UK?!

Oh jeez...SG1...it's Swiss Toni Mark 2
And that's a fact!

Old Feb 20th 2014, 11:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

Flabound oneday has a reputation beyond reputeFlabound oneday has a reputation beyond reputeFlabound oneday has a reputation beyond reputeFlabound oneday has a reputation beyond reputeFlabound oneday has a reputation beyond reputeFlabound oneday has a reputation beyond reputeFlabound oneday has a reputation beyond reputeFlabound oneday has a reputation beyond reputeFlabound oneday has a reputation beyond reputeFlabound oneday has a reputation beyond reputeFlabound oneday has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SG1
Sorry do you live in California?

Have you seen the taxes?

Have you seen the crime rates?

Have you seen the laws stripping people of their rights to defend themselves?

Have you seen the massive effects of Illegal Immigration?

Did you seen the LA Riots?
nope I live and love Florida....my points were pro Fl
I think you may have mis read
Old Feb 21st 2014, 12:21 am
Forum Regular

Sportychico is an unknown quantity at this point

holy smoke we are still debating this?.....its matter of personal choice and depends what wealth you have...I would like to live in Santa Monica and have a house over looking the ocean...unfortunately I don't have millions.

Many contributors make comments on here who 1) defend UK yet don't live here (laughable) and 2) live in awful US states and will unlikely ever have this choice.

For me and my wealth Florida would be best option. If money was no option then I would choose above and have a home in each place.

The SUNSHINE state is known for poor weather!!...The most ridiculous and ignorant statement on here....apart from 2/3 mths of afternoon tropical rain and humidity Florida's climate is one of the best in the world...Hurricanes generally only cause damage to trailer parks so not an issue...our wind and rain in UK has caused more damage
Old Feb 21st 2014, 12:41 am
Mouthy Yank

Speedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sportychico
holy smoke we are still debating this?.....its matter of personal choice and depends what wealth you have...I would like to live in Santa Monica and have a house over looking the ocean...unfortunately I don't have millions.

Many contributors make comments on here who 1) defend UK yet don't live here (laughable) and 2) live in awful US states and will unlikely ever have this choice.

For me and my wealth Florida would be best option. If money was no option then I would choose above and have a home in each place.

The SUNSHINE state is known for poor weather!!...The most ridiculous and ignorant statement on here....apart from 2/3 mths of afternoon tropical rain and humidity Florida's climate is one of the best in the world...Hurricanes generally only cause damage to trailer parks so not an issue...our wind and rain in UK has caused more damage
Hurricanes only cause damage to trailer parks... really? Do you really live in Florida? Honestly? Have you ever heard of Frances? Cleo? Jeanne? FFS, Andrew, the most expensive natural disaster in US history? I wasn't going to answer but this was just too wrong.
Old Feb 21st 2014, 12:42 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Speedwell
Hurricanes only cause damage to trailer parks... really? Do you really live in Florida? Honestly? Have you ever heard of Frances? Cleo? Jeanne? FFS, Andrew, the most expensive natural disaster in US history? I wasn't going to answer but this was just too wrong.
Yes have home in Naples / Bonita springs....no issues there with Hurricanes...
Old Feb 21st 2014, 12:50 am
Mouthy Yank

Speedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond repute

Yes have home in Naples / Bonita springs....no issues there with Hurricanes...
http://www.naples.net/govern/county/emrgmgt/never.htm Oh really. Notice it took me only eight minutes to respond to your post, seven of which were used typing a response in another thread and one of which was spent finding that link.
Old Feb 21st 2014, 12:58 am
Forum Regular

http://www.naples.net/govern/county/emrgmgt/never.htm Oh really. Notice it took me only eight minutes to respond to your post, seven of which were used typing a response in another thread and one of which was spent finding that link.
As mentioned unless you have a cheap old house or live in a Trailer park all Florida homes are NOW built to withstand Hurricanes...Naples (due to where it is) rarely gets hit and when it does its minor.....so even in the very unlikely event a cat 5 hits there your home will be fine...I was there when the cat 3 hit ..FOX news and many US citizens (very usual) sensationalised things.....it was fine..a few palm trees needed clearing which were done within 24 hours.....so in conclusion Florida weather is excellent hence all the wealthy & snowbirds have second homes there.....a non argument really x
Old Feb 21st 2014, 1:00 am
BE Enthusiast

Flabound oneday has a reputation beyond reputeFlabound oneday has a reputation beyond reputeFlabound oneday has a reputation beyond reputeFlabound oneday has a reputation beyond reputeFlabound oneday has a reputation beyond reputeFlabound oneday has a reputation beyond reputeFlabound oneday has a reputation beyond reputeFlabound oneday has a reputation beyond reputeFlabound oneday has a reputation beyond reputeFlabound oneday has a reputation beyond reputeFlabound oneday has a reputation beyond repute

technically speaking Bonita isn't Naples....if you have a home in BS and are trying to make out you are one of the Naples 'set' its kind of like saying you are from Kensington when really you live in wormwood scrubs.

have you seen the Jones' lately ??
Old Feb 21st 2014, 1:01 am
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

What the clucking bell is so special about Florida? What is it about old people and Disneyland that makes every single electrician and hairdresser in the UK want to move there?

I live in the North, where all the hard people live of course, so I can be objective. If I was to choose one of the two - California would win every time. The Sierra Nevadas, Yosemite, Sequoia National Park beats the Everglades, those godawful ravers from Miami and land yacht traffic jams hands down

I'd also consider Arizona or New Mexico. OK, I'm biased towards the southwest but I'd miss the cold ...
Old Feb 21st 2014, 1:02 am
Mouthy Yank

...so even in the very unlikely event a cat 5 hits there your home will be fine...
Folks, this is an example of not only misinformation but lethal misinformation. Homes in the path of a category 5 hurricane that is still a cat 5 when it passes over them don't survive intact, if they survive at all. It doesn't matter if they're built badly or well. They sustain damage and undergo flooding in a storm surge.
Old Feb 21st 2014, 1:37 am
Forum Regular

Folks, this is an example of not only misinformation but lethal misinformation. Homes in the path of a category 5 hurricane that is still a cat 5 when it passes over them don't survive intact, if they survive at all. It doesn't matter if they're built badly or well. They sustain damage and undergo flooding in a storm surge.
nonsense...modern buildings withstand Cat 5 thats why you never see them fall down
Old Feb 21st 2014, 1:38 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing
What the clucking bell is so special about Florida? What is it about old people and Disneyland that makes every single electrician and hairdresser in the UK want to move there?

I live in the North, where all the hard people live of course, so I can be objective. If I was to choose one of the two - California would win every time. The Sierra Nevadas, Yosemite, Sequoia National Park beats the Everglades, those godawful ravers from Miami and land yacht traffic jams hands down

I'd also consider Arizona or New Mexico. OK, I'm biased towards the southwest but I'd miss the cold ...
California very nice as well.(as mentioned) ..you need more $$$ to move there hence Florida you an have more for your buck ...I would go to santa monica
Old Feb 21st 2014, 1:41 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Flabound oneday
technically speaking Bonita isn't Naples....if you have a home in BS and are trying to make out you are one of the Naples 'set' its kind of like saying you are from Kensington when really you live in wormwood scrubs.

have you seen the Jones' lately ??
ignorant comment...Bonita Springs is stunning and many properties are more valubale than in Naples...some of Naples is run down as is some of Kensington.

Naples is mainly old people...though very nice. Bonita Springs and Estero are more for the under 45s....as is fort myers........if you don't own a home there please don't comment on things you have little experience of x
Old Feb 21st 2014, 1:44 am
Mouthy Yank

nonsense...modern buildings withstand Cat 5 thats why you never see them fall down
All it takes is one hurricane-spawned tornado. FFS, please go read about hurricanes before hurricane season starts, OK? I don't know how many people live in your Florida home, but I hope they are more informed than you are.
Old Feb 21st 2014, 1:45 am
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

California very nice as well.(as mentioned) ..you need more $$$ to move there hence Florida you an have more for your buck ...I would go to santa monica
Oh, I've no illusions about cost. My buck goes much further in the midwest. I'm far enough from Chicago and Milwaukee to avoid the 'city tax' but close enough for all conveniences.

Works for me.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.