British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Florida, California or UK?! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/florida-california-uk-824556/)

Hurley1 Feb 9th 2014 11:56 pm

Florida, California or UK?!

Oh boy what a choice! My head tells me one thing, my heart another so I need your input guys! We really are very lucky, just hubby and I, no kids, been travelling for the last four years having taken a sabbatical as well as spending time in our holiday home near Miami. We could live anywhere really and are financially secure, have looked for businesses near our holiday home in Miami but not seen anything suitable or interesting so far. We are here on a B2 visa at mo for another couple of months. Have seen a possibility in South California which is E2 appropriate but not sure about going right over to the West Coast or we could go back home to the UK buy a bigger house in the country and just settle down. The weather is probably the only negative about the UK for us but it is a big negative especially at the moment, in fact the UK may even be washed away at this rate :o)
Anyway I know it's a personal decision but would love to hear your thoughts and experiences. Hubby is really up for an adventure here but he is the risk taker and I'm the thinker, well worrier I guess! Thanks for your input!

markonline1 Feb 10th 2014 12:54 am

Re: Florida, California or UK?!

I'm 100% biased, but I'm gonna say California every time!!!!

Hurley1 Feb 10th 2014 1:02 am

Thanks Mark, whereabouts in CA are you? How long have u lived there?

Poppy girl Feb 10th 2014 1:07 am

I would say California I lived there 7 years and just moved to NV but I like Northern CA I have no time for southern.

Hurley1 Feb 10th 2014 1:14 am

Thanks Poppy Girl, interesting, we have friends in San Ramon and they love it there. The biz we are looking at is an hour inland from LA.

Poppy girl Feb 10th 2014 1:23 am

Originally Posted by Hurley1 (Post 11121080)
Thanks Poppy Girl, interesting, we have friends in San Ramon and they love it there. The biz we are looking at is an hour inland from LA.

San Ramon is really nice :) I am not a fan of the bay area but if I had to live ther it would be in that area!

Hotscot Feb 10th 2014 1:51 am

SoCal here....had a fun 15 years but dying to go back now.
As a business owner myself, scientific services, I'm interested in the type of business?

Be aware though...
http://www.ocregister.com/articles/c...ess-state.html

Sally Redux Feb 10th 2014 1:52 am

A big part of the answer is going to be the business itself.

The UK may get wetter, but Southern California looks like running out of water.

Hurley1 Feb 10th 2014 2:03 am

Interesting article. This biz we have found is a bit different for us! An Artisan Bakery doing over 400k a year and making good growth year on year.

Hotscot Feb 10th 2014 2:16 am

Sorry...didn't realise I was talking with Hurley here:)

Hurley1 Feb 10th 2014 2:20 am

No probs, just trying to pick a few more brains. Thanks for the interesting article though!

N1cky Feb 10th 2014 2:31 am

We disliked living in LA, we found most people insincere and many just outright rude. Too many believe they live the lives of Hollywood stars. Most cities have no community feel, and are filled with the same malls, stores, and chain restaurants. The weather also got us down after a while, it was just too hot to do anything for half the year. We live in the Bay Area now, which we love. I love visiting LA, but would never chose to live there again.

md95065 Feb 10th 2014 2:31 am

Originally Posted by Sally Redux (Post 11121101)
The UK may get wetter, but Southern California looks like running out of water.

While Florida has high humidity and hurricanes which make it somewhere that I would never consider living.

N1cky Feb 10th 2014 2:39 am

Originally Posted by md95065 (Post 11121122)
While Florida has high humidity and hurricanes which make it somewhere that I would never consider living.

LA has wildfires and earthquakes

Pulaski Feb 10th 2014 3:10 am

"None of the above", thank you very much! :rofl: