Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Florida, California or UK?!

Wikiposts

Florida, California or UK?!

Old Feb 12th 2014, 1:34 am

Cardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Florida, California or UK?!

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing
Yes, but aren't you in Essex?

I'm not sure any amount of nice weather or lack of immigrants is worth that sacrifice

I don't work 9-5 either, I should point out. I work 7:30 - 4:00. That's 1-0 to me, I think ...
Nuffink wrong wiv Essex.

You may not work 9-5, but I noticed you had lunch yesterday….
Old Feb 12th 2014, 1:34 am
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Cardienscarf
Nuffink wrong wiv Essex.

You may not work 9-5, but I noticed you had lunch yesterday….
I was being needlessly facetious. 7:30 - 4:00 is the same as 9-5; I just get to leave earlier
Old Feb 12th 2014, 1:40 am

Cardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond repute

I was being needlessly facetious. 7:30 - 4:00 is the same as 9-5; I just get to leave earlier
I don't think there is such a thing as 9-5 in the US. It's their sneaky way of describing 8-5. Maybe it's 9-5 if you don't take lunch.
Old Feb 12th 2014, 1:53 am
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Cardienscarf
I don't think there is such a thing as 9-5 in the US. It's their sneaky way of describing 8-5. Maybe it's 9-5 if you don't take lunch.
It is, but you have to take at least half an hour lunch for every 6 hours worked. I have ran into this on days when I offered to work through lunch to get stuff done and I was told because I'm hourly, they get in trouble if I don't clock out for half an hour. I just clocked out and worked anyway.

But yeah, 9-5 is in line with a 37.5 hour work week, which is more a UK thing. I remember when I was a civil servant, we worked a 37 hour week which they further complicated by making our schedule 7h25' a day, with Wednesday at 7h20'. WTF

In the US, it's 8 hours plus lunch. I take half an hour, so I do 7:30-4. But if I were more successful I'd be salary and could come and go as I pleased, of course.
Old Feb 12th 2014, 2:02 am
Banned

hungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond repute

It is, but you have to take at least half an hour lunch for every 6 hours worked. I have ran into this on days when I offered to work through lunch to get stuff done and I was told because I'm hourly, they get in trouble if I don't clock out for half an hour. I just clocked out and worked anyway.

But yeah, 9-5 is in line with a 37.5 hour work week, which is more a UK thing. I remember when I was a civil servant, we worked a 37 hour week which they further complicated by making our schedule 7h25' a day, with Wednesday at 7h20'. WTF

In the US, it's 8 hours plus lunch. I take half an hour, so I do 7:30-4. But if I were more successful I'd be salary and could come and go as I pleased, of course.
This is interesting. When I moved over to the US the guy running the office told me the work hours were 0830-1730. I gave him a funny look, as it's 0900-1730 in the UK. I didn't relocate to work at 0830 each morning for the same pay, that would be ridiculous, so I just refused to come in until 0900.

Are you saying this is the norm in the US? ie, 0830-1730 work hours? What about 0900-1800 instead?
Old Feb 12th 2014, 2:06 am
I have a comma problem

Originally Posted by hungryhorace
This is interesting. When I moved over to the US the guy running the office told me the work hours were 0830-1730. I gave him a funny look, as it's 0900-1730 in the UK. I didn't relocate to work at 0830 each morning for the same pay, that would be ridiculous, so I just refused to come in until 0900.

Are you saying this is the norm in the US? ie, 0830-1730 work hours? What about 0900-1800 instead?
They probably factored an hour's lunch into that - because that is a 9 hour day and the standard 'work week' is 40 hours. The bank my wife works at has the same hours.

Both companies I have worked for operate a flexible 8 hour day (though your start time has to be consistent each day) with a minimum half hour lunch, so it depends on the type of business I suppose.
Old Feb 12th 2014, 2:24 am
Banned

hungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond repute

They probably factored an hour's lunch into that - because that is a 9 hour day and the standard 'work week' is 40 hours. The bank my wife works at has the same hours..
Guess I need to get myself on a US level salary then if US firms expect 9 hour days (!) rather than the direct UK>USD port I had. Which i now realise was a real error on my behalf, but cest la vie. Easily fixed.
Old Feb 12th 2014, 2:26 am
I have a comma problem

Originally Posted by hungryhorace
Guess I need to get myself on a US level salary then if US firms expect 9 hour days (!) rather than the direct UK>USD port I had. Which i now realise was a real error on my behalf, but cest la vie. Easily fixed.
Worth a try anyway.

Of course, if you are a salary employee and not hourly, the unwritten rule is that you're expected to work more than 40 hours as a matter of course.
Old Feb 12th 2014, 2:30 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

It is, but you have to take at least half an hour lunch for every 6 hours worked. I have run into this on days when I offered to work through lunch to get stuff done and I was told because I'm hourly, they get in trouble if I don't clock out for half an hour. I just clocked out and worked anyway.

There, FIFY
Old Feb 12th 2014, 2:39 am
I have a comma problem

Originally Posted by mikelincs
There, FIFY
That's your one. Go back to sleep now.
Old Feb 12th 2014, 2:49 am
BE Forum Addict

jmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
It has good bacon though.
I'm not a bacon expert. Please educate me on what constitutes good bacon. And what's wrong with the bacon in the US? And which brand is the best bacon in the US?
Old Feb 12th 2014, 2:53 am
I have a comma problem

Originally Posted by jmood
I'm not a bacon expert. Please educate me on what constitutes good bacon. And what's wrong with the bacon in the US? And which brand is the best bacon in the US?
Back bacon vs streaky. Both have their uses, but back bacon makes the best bacon butties. With loads of butter and HP Sauce, of course.
Old Feb 12th 2014, 2:59 am
BE Forum Addict

jmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond repute

Will the pack say "back bacon"? Does it mean it has minimal fat?
Old Feb 12th 2014, 3:00 am
BE Forum Addict

My husband is the better cook of bacon between the 2 of us. Mind you, I cook everything else (much) better than he. He manages to get the bacon crispy while I always seem to fail.
Old Feb 12th 2014, 3:37 am
I have a comma problem

Originally Posted by jmood
Will the pack say "back bacon"? Does it mean it has minimal fat?
In the US, it will more likely say 'Irish style bacon' if you can find it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.