Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Fancy Experiencing US

Fancy Experiencing US

Old Jul 17th 2006, 8:41 am
Forum Regular

Drebin is a glorious beacon of lightDrebin is a glorious beacon of lightDrebin is a glorious beacon of lightDrebin is a glorious beacon of lightDrebin is a glorious beacon of lightDrebin is a glorious beacon of lightDrebin is a glorious beacon of lightDrebin is a glorious beacon of lightDrebin is a glorious beacon of lightDrebin is a glorious beacon of lightDrebin is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Fancy Experiencing US

Originally Posted by Boiler
I would go for a course that includes this option.

US Education Costs are high, GBP10,000 plus is not unusual and then of course living costs, probably similar.

Or you could look at a J1 maybe.
Well, if the UK university you study at has a 'deal' with the US ones then you can end up paying *less* tuition than you would over here. I studied at UEA Norwich in the UK, and exchanged at CU Boulder. Here's what I paid:

98/99 in UK - £1000 (first year of tuition fees, thanks Tony! )
99/00 in US - £500 tuition fees
00/01 in UK - £1000 again.

YMMV since it's a fair few years on. ... and living costs IMO were cheaper than that of my time in the UK. But I guess when you factor in that you're likely to do 'extra' things when you're abroad (I went skiing/snowboarding for example), then it's going to be a bit pricier. San Francisco though you're probably looking at quite an expensive year. I was on a J-1, the UK university I went to organised the paperwork for me. I'd suggest if you haven't chosen your University here yet, then you shop around for one that'll get you to the part of the US that you want to study. Mine for example only did Boulder, and two Uni's in Canada.

I echo what people say about a full-blown job placement. You'd be pretty lucky to get a position out here, and unless you've done something pretty outstanding (I mean from a commercial POV, not a hobbyist/Uni project) then you probably won't get paid much if at all.

And mate, don't listen to the naysayers. A lot of people on this board have a "we're here, and we're special, you're not." attitude. "Just kidding" as they have to say over here of course. If the US appeals to you a lot more than Australia, then go for it!
Old Jul 17th 2006, 2:25 pm
Senior Moment

Sarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond repute

If you do a degree in American Studies, you often have the opportunity to do a year of your course in the USA. Otherwise....
Have a look at these:

http://www.mountbatten.org/
http://www.britishcouncil.org/learning-fulbright.htm
http://www.bunac.org/uk/workamerica/

Old Jul 17th 2006, 2:51 pm
Just Joined

Rob B has much to be proud ofRob B has much to be proud ofRob B has much to be proud ofRob B has much to be proud ofRob B has much to be proud ofRob B has much to be proud ofRob B has much to be proud ofRob B has much to be proud ofRob B has much to be proud ofRob B has much to be proud ofRob B has much to be proud of

Thank You for all the information guys, appreciated.

I have contacted head of department at my Uni, Salford, and will see what he has to say about it.
Old Jul 17th 2006, 4:41 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Drebin
Well, if the UK university you study at has a 'deal' with the US ones then you can end up paying *less* tuition than you would over here. I studied at UEA Norwich in the UK, and exchanged at CU Boulder. Here's what I paid:

98/99 in UK - £1000 (first year of tuition fees, thanks Tony! )
99/00 in US - £500 tuition fees
00/01 in UK - £1000 again.

YMMV since it's a fair few years on. ... and living costs IMO were cheaper than that of my time in the UK. But I guess when you factor in that you're likely to do 'extra' things when you're abroad (I went skiing/snowboarding for example), then it's going to be a bit pricier. San Francisco though you're probably looking at quite an expensive year. I was on a J-1, the UK university I went to organised the paperwork for me. I'd suggest if you haven't chosen your University here yet, then you shop around for one that'll get you to the part of the US that you want to study. Mine for example only did Boulder, and two Uni's in Canada.

I echo what people say about a full-blown job placement. You'd be pretty lucky to get a position out here, and unless you've done something pretty outstanding (I mean from a commercial POV, not a hobbyist/Uni project) then you probably won't get paid much if at all.

And mate, don't listen to the naysayers. A lot of people on this board have a "we're here, and we're special, you're not." attitude. "Just kidding" as they have to say over here of course. If the US appeals to you a lot more than Australia, then go for it!

CU Boulder is currently $3,000 a semester.

Well that was the amount of the cheque I wrote. Would vary according to exactly what you were doing.

In State Tuition.
Old Jul 17th 2006, 5:22 pm
Forum Regular

Drebin is a glorious beacon of lightDrebin is a glorious beacon of lightDrebin is a glorious beacon of lightDrebin is a glorious beacon of lightDrebin is a glorious beacon of lightDrebin is a glorious beacon of lightDrebin is a glorious beacon of lightDrebin is a glorious beacon of lightDrebin is a glorious beacon of lightDrebin is a glorious beacon of lightDrebin is a glorious beacon of light

CU Boulder is currently $3,000 a semester.

Well that was the amount of the cheque I wrote. Would vary according to exactly what you were doing.

In State Tuition.
Well, I guess I should add that my experience was a 'cultural exchange'. The tuition fees I paid that year went to the UK gov't, and the deal I believe was just reciprocal. The Americans coming in the other direction paid smaller fees than usual for their year which effectively paid for my studies.

Privately I thought CU Boulder was more than that TBH! A friend of mine went back to do a Masters and I think it cost him a pretty-penny to do it.

If you do a degree in American Studies, you often have the opportunity to do a year of your course in the USA.
I did Comp Sci, and spent a year of that course abroad. Credits transferred back to the UK system based on percentage grade. My UK Uni offered quite a few degrees with the exchange option. They also IIRC allowed you to switch from the 'regular' flavour degree to the exchange-one midway through your first year if you wanted. I knew one guy who managed to do that.
Old Jul 17th 2006, 6:12 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

Rob

I know for a fact that some faculties of the University of Salford have exchange programs with the University of Toledo in Ohio.

I didn't go in the end, becasue, well it's Salford..........
Old Jul 18th 2006, 12:07 am
Powder Maggot

AdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Manc
Rob

I know for a fact that some faculties of the University of Salford have exchange programs with the University of Toledo in Ohio.

And I did go because, errr...., well...... yeah.

Rob, I would aggresively enquire about this. At one point (before Salford forgot it was a scientific university and became a 'university for the 21st century'), multiple departments participated in the Salford-UT exchange program. The interesting thing is that those departments shared resources and knowledge to do it. There's no reason (other than laziness) that another program could not piggyback on top of what was built for those earlier programs. Several were added because of student requests.

As for Toledo, it's a nice campus. It's fun for a year. Really. But then you'll be ready to go somewhere else.
Old Jul 18th 2006, 12:13 am
Back where I belong!

Location: Melbourne, Oz to Banbury, England to El Mirage, AZ & now back to England!
Partystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by evoal2003
Should I hold my breath for the karma.
Whore!
Old Jul 18th 2006, 12:19 am
Back where I belong!

Location: Melbourne, Oz to Banbury, England to El Mirage, AZ & now back to England!
Partystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rob B
The other option is Australia, but that is hardely easier to get to, and it's never really appealed to me to be honest. And, I wouldn't want a language barrier taking almost everywhere else out of the equation.

I am attracted to the US because there are a lot of opportunities there, it's where everything is. I'm not really enjoying my life much in the UK at the moment and I want to try something new, like my aunt did 20 years ago when she moved to Arizona because she was fed up here (now in a home so I couldn't really rely on her if I went). This idea of going to the US has't been fuelled by the masses of US TV on show here in the UK, as I am sure some of you may be suspecting, I am fully aware all that is unrealistic for the most part, and if I went I would find it completely different. I want the experience, I want to taste the water. Whether that is feasible or not, I don't know as of yet, but I will try my best.
I wouldn't if I were you, it tastes like crap!
Old Jul 18th 2006, 4:00 am
Payed up premium member

evoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Partystar
Whore!
Your in an exceptionally good mood.
Old Jul 18th 2006, 4:02 am
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

I see you missed this thread
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=384742
Old Jul 18th 2006, 4:36 am
Just Joined

patbrit7 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Rob B
I have fancied experiencing the US for years now, I am 18, I haven't really got a very fulfilling or satisfying life here in the UK at present and was thinking of getting a US placement for my year out of University in the webdesign industry so I can experience the place and then if I like it consider moving there.

Does anyone have anything to say, advice, tips, places in the US to avoid, some stern words etc.

Thanks a lot,
ROb
If you can get here on a student visa, and IF you can afford to attend University here, and IF you are outdoorsy, you should consider Colorado, as in University of Colorado, or Colorado State University. You could look them up on the web and see if they offer the courses you want.
Old Jul 18th 2006, 3:24 pm
Back where I belong!

Yeah, I'm a ray of f**kin' sunshine!!!
Old Jul 18th 2006, 4:34 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

I do not know if when you do an exchange year or 8-9 months you can avoid paying the fee's, I am guessing not.
no, you have to pay the fee and to get the visa you have to show you have the funds, but there are things like ERASAMUS and the other one, can't remember that will sponsor most EU students to do a year exchange who can't afford it...still need living expense money though...
Old Jul 18th 2006, 4:36 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Manc
Rob

Brunel does an exchange with San Fran State, about 20 students a semester...need to show you can get your hands on £10K tho

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.