Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Fancy Experiencing US

Fancy Experiencing US

Old Jul 15th 2006, 2:22 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

britvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Fancy Experiencing US

Originally Posted by evoal2003
Just book a ticket and welcome to a life of peaches and cream.
PMSL
Old Jul 15th 2006, 2:45 pm
Payed up premium member

evoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by britvic
PMSL
Should I hold my breath for the karma.
Old Jul 15th 2006, 2:46 pm
Payed up premium member

evoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ray
South Dakota, North Dakota, Wyoming, and Montana ..
still have some spaces left ...
Wonder why......
Old Jul 15th 2006, 2:52 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

britvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by evoal2003
Should I hold my breath for the karma.
You got some karma that is and the front to ask
Old Jul 15th 2006, 3:15 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

He said:

He is 18

At Uni

Looking for a webdesign placement in the US for his gap year.

If you are looking at being paid, I would forget it. Otherwise you best bet is to see what exchange programs your Uni has.
Old Jul 15th 2006, 10:45 pm
Just Joined

Rob B has much to be proud ofRob B has much to be proud ofRob B has much to be proud ofRob B has much to be proud ofRob B has much to be proud ofRob B has much to be proud ofRob B has much to be proud ofRob B has much to be proud ofRob B has much to be proud ofRob B has much to be proud ofRob B has much to be proud of

I am actually awaiting exam results which will tell me if I am off to Uni in September, and if I get in (optimistic), then my year out will be in 08/09 if all goes well, the third of the four years of the course.

I am not overly choosey at present regarding what part of the US I go to, I was wondering if you could all help me in that regard. I currently live in Manchester, UK, but that doesn't mean I can't cop some hot sun (although not the Las Vegas level of heat!) and do quite enjoy it. I am not overly sociable, so am not bothered about having super friendly communities, just as long as the community is safe and the people are easily approachable. I have always liked the look of San Francisco though, I must add.

What sort of finance would I be looking at raising if I ended up doing this? I am not counting on getting paid whilst I am there.

Thanks
Old Jul 15th 2006, 10:49 pm
Account Closed

I would go for a course that includes this option.

US Education Costs are high, GBP10,000 plus is not unusual and then of course living costs, probably similar.

Or you could look at a J1 maybe.
Old Jul 15th 2006, 11:38 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler
I would go for a course that includes this option.

US Education Costs are high, GBP10,000 plus is not unusual and then of course living costs, probably similar.

Or you could look at a J1 maybe.

GBP10k - are you sure? That would be ... very reasonable!

"International students will need approximately $43,830 to cover expenses for one year at UC Berkeley. Tuition and fees are about $25,830 and living expenses are approximately $18,000. Tuition and fees are subject to change without notice."

:scared:

(Particularly since UC fees are still considerably lower than most other public colleges.)
Old Jul 16th 2006, 12:06 am
Just Joined

Rob B has much to be proud ofRob B has much to be proud ofRob B has much to be proud ofRob B has much to be proud ofRob B has much to be proud ofRob B has much to be proud ofRob B has much to be proud ofRob B has much to be proud ofRob B has much to be proud ofRob B has much to be proud ofRob B has much to be proud of

I wouldn't be going to a US University, my University is in the UK. I would just be spending 7 or 8 months in the US on a placement, in theory.
Old Jul 16th 2006, 12:14 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Elvira

"International students will need approximately $43,830 to cover expenses for one year at UC Berkeley. Tuition and fees are about $25,830 and living expenses are approximately $18,000. Tuition and fees are subject to change without notice."

(Particularly since UC fees are still considerably lower than most other public colleges.)
Well that is $18k + vs $25, so in the ballpark.

I do not know if when you do an exchange year or 8-9 months you can avoid paying the fee's, I am guessing not.

Otherwise getting an Intern might be an option? - modern day slave labour.
Old Jul 16th 2006, 12:28 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Elvira

On TV this morning they were saying expect to pay $40K+ per year, excluding accommodaton and food for a private uni. This sounds about right to me.
Old Jul 16th 2006, 12:40 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
On TV this morning they were saying expect to pay $40K+ per year, excluding accommodaton and food for a private uni. This sounds about right to me.
For a Private Uni, yes.

A decent one.
Old Jul 16th 2006, 12:56 am
Forum Regular

NeilW has much to be proud ofNeilW has much to be proud ofNeilW has much to be proud ofNeilW has much to be proud ofNeilW has much to be proud ofNeilW has much to be proud ofNeilW has much to be proud ofNeilW has much to be proud ofNeilW has much to be proud ofNeilW has much to be proud ofNeilW has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Rob B
I have always liked the look of San Francisco though, I must add.
I went to San Francisco for a weekend a couple of years ago and it is a really nice place and the temperatures are similar to England. The majority of the Californian IT jobs seem to be located just south of SF (Silicon Valley) - I don't know the area well enough to know if it's commutable from SF though.
Old Jul 16th 2006, 5:25 am
Powder Maggot

AdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rob B
I wouldn't be going to a US University, my University is in the UK. I would just be spending 7 or 8 months in the US on a placement, in theory.
OK, Rob, I hate to break this to you, but it's probably not going to happen. There is no '[non-agricultural] guest worker' type program in the US, meaning that you would need an employer to treat as you as a potential permanent employee and go through the whole work visa crap. There is an exchange visitor visa, but it is doubtful if you could find an non-educational organization to do one of those for what you are talking about.
Old Jul 16th 2006, 5:27 am
Powder Maggot

AdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler
Well that is $18k + vs $25, so in the ballpark.

I do not know if when you do an exchange year or 8-9 months you can avoid paying the fee's, I am guessing not.

Otherwise getting an Intern might be an option? - modern day slave labour.
I was an exchange student in the US - the LEA paid all my tuition/fees and up to three return flights a year. That was before student loans in the UK, so I don't know what the story would be now.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.