Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Fancy Experiencing US

Fancy Experiencing US

Old Jul 16th 2006, 5:29 am
Powder Maggot

AdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Fancy Experiencing US

Originally Posted by Boiler
For a Private Uni, yes.

A decent one.
And frankly, it ain't worth it. Unless you plan on relying entirely on your network for the rest of your life. And if you follow it up with a trip to grad school, it would be a total waste of money.
Old Jul 16th 2006, 1:44 pm
Just Joined

Rob B has much to be proud ofRob B has much to be proud ofRob B has much to be proud ofRob B has much to be proud ofRob B has much to be proud ofRob B has much to be proud ofRob B has much to be proud ofRob B has much to be proud ofRob B has much to be proud ofRob B has much to be proud ofRob B has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by AdobePinon
OK, Rob, I hate to break this to you, but it's probably not going to happen. There is no '[non-agricultural] guest worker' type program in the US, meaning that you would need an employer to treat as you as a potential permanent employee and go through the whole work visa crap. There is an exchange visitor visa, but it is doubtful if you could find an non-educational organization to do one of those for what you are talking about.
Well I will try at least. I need to talk to my University and ask about this really, it isn't uncommon for people to go abroad on their year out, but I guess it depends what links and arrangements with various companies the University has to offer. It's easier if they can arrange something through their contacts rather than doing it myself.

If, the University has nothing to offer then experiencing America may have to wait until I am graduated.
Old Jul 16th 2006, 2:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

Rompers has a reputation beyond reputeRompers has a reputation beyond reputeRompers has a reputation beyond reputeRompers has a reputation beyond reputeRompers has a reputation beyond reputeRompers has a reputation beyond reputeRompers has a reputation beyond reputeRompers has a reputation beyond reputeRompers has a reputation beyond reputeRompers has a reputation beyond reputeRompers has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rob B
Well I will try at least. I need to talk to my University and ask about this really, it isn't uncommon for people to go abroad on their year out, but I guess it depends what links and arrangements with various companies the University has to offer. It's easier if they can arrange something through their contacts rather than doing it myself.

If, the University has nothing to offer then experiencing America may have to wait until I am graduated.
Rob, what is it that attracts you to the US? are there any other countries that could give you what you're looking for that would be easier to get to?
Old Jul 16th 2006, 3:46 pm
Just Joined

Rob B has much to be proud ofRob B has much to be proud ofRob B has much to be proud ofRob B has much to be proud ofRob B has much to be proud ofRob B has much to be proud ofRob B has much to be proud ofRob B has much to be proud ofRob B has much to be proud ofRob B has much to be proud ofRob B has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Rompers
Rob, what is it that attracts you to the US? are there any other countries that could give you what you're looking for that would be easier to get to?
The other option is Australia, but that is hardely easier to get to, and it's never really appealed to me to be honest. And, I wouldn't want a language barrier taking almost everywhere else out of the equation.

I am attracted to the US because there are a lot of opportunities there, it's where everything is. I'm not really enjoying my life much in the UK at the moment and I want to try something new, like my aunt did 20 years ago when she moved to Arizona because she was fed up here (now in a home so I couldn't really rely on her if I went). This idea of going to the US has't been fuelled by the masses of US TV on show here in the UK, as I am sure some of you may be suspecting, I am fully aware all that is unrealistic for the most part, and if I went I would find it completely different. I want the experience, I want to taste the water. Whether that is feasible or not, I don't know as of yet, but I will try my best.
Old Jul 16th 2006, 3:49 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Australia is much much easier from a visa point of view.
Old Jul 16th 2006, 3:55 pm

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ray
South Dakota, North Dakota, Wyoming, and Montana ..
still have some spaces left ...

Wyoming....heard of that....isn't it where they were always trying to get to on Alias Smith and Jones? Must be nice then!
Old Jul 16th 2006, 3:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

Rompers has a reputation beyond reputeRompers has a reputation beyond reputeRompers has a reputation beyond reputeRompers has a reputation beyond reputeRompers has a reputation beyond reputeRompers has a reputation beyond reputeRompers has a reputation beyond reputeRompers has a reputation beyond reputeRompers has a reputation beyond reputeRompers has a reputation beyond reputeRompers has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Yorkieabroad
Wyoming....heard of that....isn't it where they were always trying to get to on Alias Smith and Jones? Must be nice then!
It's where Dick Cheney is from.
Old Jul 16th 2006, 4:00 pm

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute

Was he the one with the black hat that couldn't shoot straight

Been practising a bit since he left the show.....
Old Jul 16th 2006, 4:03 pm

If your first plan doesn't come together, the other thing to think about is BUNACamp, or Camp America or whatever they call it these days. My nephews girlfriend is on it at the moment during her summer break - sounds like she's having a good time - nephew is worried maybe a little too good!! Not quite what you were after, but its a start....at least you'd be here, and could travel a bit afterwards. I guess the hard part is going to be getting thru a summer of campbrats without killing one.....
Old Jul 16th 2006, 8:09 pm
Being myself

peterbainham has a reputation beyond reputepeterbainham has a reputation beyond reputepeterbainham has a reputation beyond reputepeterbainham has a reputation beyond reputepeterbainham has a reputation beyond reputepeterbainham has a reputation beyond reputepeterbainham has a reputation beyond reputepeterbainham has a reputation beyond reputepeterbainham has a reputation beyond reputepeterbainham has a reputation beyond reputepeterbainham has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=Rob B]The other option is Australia, but that is hardely easier to get to, [QUOTE]

On the contrary, it's infinitely easier to get to Australia than the US (at least for a year). As a British national you'll be allowed a one-year work visa there and it's piss-easy to get. I did that during my gap year - had the best time of my life.
Old Jul 16th 2006, 8:09 pm
Being myself

peterbainham has a reputation beyond reputepeterbainham has a reputation beyond reputepeterbainham has a reputation beyond reputepeterbainham has a reputation beyond reputepeterbainham has a reputation beyond reputepeterbainham has a reputation beyond reputepeterbainham has a reputation beyond reputepeterbainham has a reputation beyond reputepeterbainham has a reputation beyond reputepeterbainham has a reputation beyond reputepeterbainham has a reputation beyond repute

No wonder he's pissed off with world.
Old Jul 16th 2006, 9:11 pm
Just Joined

[QUOTE=peterbainham][QUOTE=Rob B]The other option is Australia, but that is hardely easier to get to,

On the contrary, it's infinitely easier to get to Australia than the US (at least for a year). As a British national you'll be allowed a one-year work visa there and it's piss-easy to get. I did that during my gap year - had the best time of my life.
But, I don't want to go to Australia. No point paying good money to go abroad just for the hell of it.

Could someone clarify clearly what kind of Visa's you can get in the US?
Old Jul 16th 2006, 9:16 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rob B
[Could someone clarify clearly what kind of Visa's you can get in the US?
There must be over 50 different types ...But what is available to you is very limited
http://travel.state.gov/visa/temp/types/types_1268.html
this may help
Old Jul 16th 2006, 9:23 pm
Just Joined

Just looked here: http://www.usvisaservice.org/non-immigrant-visas.htm

It looks very bleak, I can see nothing suitabke
Old Jul 16th 2006, 9:30 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

How about

http://www.wdwcollegeprogram.com/sap...wcp/index.html

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.