Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Fancy Experiencing US

Fancy Experiencing US

Old Jul 15th 2006, 1:27 am
Just Joined

Rob B has much to be proud ofRob B has much to be proud ofRob B has much to be proud ofRob B has much to be proud ofRob B has much to be proud ofRob B has much to be proud ofRob B has much to be proud ofRob B has much to be proud ofRob B has much to be proud ofRob B has much to be proud ofRob B has much to be proud of
Default Fancy Experiencing US

I have fancied experiencing the US for years now, I am 18, I haven't really got a very fulfilling or satisfying life here in the UK at present and was thinking of getting a US placement for my year out of University in the webdesign industry so I can experience the place and then if I like it consider moving there.

Does anyone have anything to say, advice, tips, places in the US to avoid, some stern words etc.

Thanks a lot,
ROb
Old Jul 15th 2006, 1:51 am
A lion in your lap

elfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Fancy Experiencing US

Originally Posted by Rob B

Does anyone have .......... some stern words.
well you've come to the right place for that.

sooooo then
which part of the USA do you fancy?
Old Jul 15th 2006, 1:55 am
Renegade who has it made

ladygwennie has a reputation beyond reputeladygwennie has a reputation beyond reputeladygwennie has a reputation beyond reputeladygwennie has a reputation beyond reputeladygwennie has a reputation beyond reputeladygwennie has a reputation beyond reputeladygwennie has a reputation beyond reputeladygwennie has a reputation beyond reputeladygwennie has a reputation beyond reputeladygwennie has a reputation beyond reputeladygwennie has a reputation beyond repute

I have fancied experiencing the US for years now, I am 18, I haven't really got a very fulfilling or satisfying life here in the UK at present and was thinking of getting a US placement for my year out of University in the webdesign industry so I can experience the place and then if I like it consider moving there.

Does anyone have anything to say, advice, tips, places in the US to avoid, some stern words etc.

Thanks a lot,
ROb

A piece of advice: moving here will be very difficult if you don't have a degree and a company wanting to sponsor you or an immediate US relative.
I don't know the ins and outs of being able to work here otherwise, some people on here might have more advice on that.
Do you know where you want to go in the US? Got to keep in mind that costs of living vary drastically across the country.

Otherwise best of luck to you, keep your options open
Old Jul 15th 2006, 1:55 am
Account Closed

gardnma will become famous soon enough

Thanks a lot,
ROb
I'll join in too.
Do you want Historical, Hi speed life, Slow bordering on dead, weird, or just the soulless headlong pursuit of material accumulation ??
Old Jul 15th 2006, 2:12 am
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks a lot,
ROb
Where do you live in the UK? Are you looking for a placement in similar place in the US?

This FAQ includes immigration routes.

NC Penguin
Old Jul 15th 2006, 6:09 am
Powder Maggot

AdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond repute

Have you started uni yet? If not, take a good look at the courses available to you. Don't know anything about web design courses specifically, but there are some courses in other subjects at UK Unis that offer exchange programs with universities in the US. Although it probably would not be paid work, it would be by far the easiest way of testing the water over here. Some students never go back, and by doing so they gain the right (through a series of PITA stages over several years) to work over here. But be warned, web design and IT in general is very competitive in the US, which can make it hard to justify hiring a foreign national.

Best of luck.
Old Jul 15th 2006, 6:14 am
Susie..

Andrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond repute

Just want to wish you good luck, what a great idea and all the best and hope it turns out ok.
Old Jul 15th 2006, 7:19 am
Payed up premium member

evoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks a lot,
ROb
Just book a ticket and welcome to a life of peaches and cream.
Old Jul 15th 2006, 12:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

Tbag has a reputation beyond reputeTbag has a reputation beyond reputeTbag has a reputation beyond reputeTbag has a reputation beyond reputeTbag has a reputation beyond reputeTbag has a reputation beyond reputeTbag has a reputation beyond reputeTbag has a reputation beyond reputeTbag has a reputation beyond reputeTbag has a reputation beyond reputeTbag has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AdobePinon
Have you started uni yet? If not, take a good look at the courses available to you. Don't know anything about web design courses specifically, but there are some courses in other subjects at UK Unis that offer exchange programs with universities in the US. Although it probably would not be paid work, it would be by far the easiest way of testing the water over here. Some students never go back, and by doing so they gain the right (through a series of PITA stages over several years) to work over here. But be warned, web design and IT in general is very competitive in the US, which can make it hard to justify hiring a foreign national.

Best of luck.
I was going to suggest the same........ Uni exchange program would be a good way to test the waters offering program choices in specific states and cities
will help you choose a location more easily I would think. Not to mention you would be around other people in the same situation.
Old Jul 15th 2006, 12:38 pm
Account Closed

Rushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really nice

Originally Posted by elfman
well you've come to the right place for that.

sooooo then
which part of the USA do you fancy?
I can see you there just hoping he replies "Florida".
Old Jul 15th 2006, 1:09 pm
A lion in your lap

elfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rushman
like that didn't cross your mind
Old Jul 15th 2006, 1:10 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rushman
I'm sorry we are closed.......
Old Jul 15th 2006, 1:13 pm
Account Closed

Rushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really nice

Originally Posted by elfman
like that didn't cross your mind
Who moi??? Never entered my head
Old Jul 15th 2006, 1:16 pm
Account Closed

TouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really nice

We let the last one in a few months ago....wish the media would alert people to that fact.....
Old Jul 15th 2006, 1:18 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TouristTrap
We let the last one in a few months ago....wish the media would alert people to that fact.....
South Dakota, North Dakota, Wyoming, and Montana ..
still have some spaces left ...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.