Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Evolution...new poll

Evolution...new poll

Old Oct 27th 2005, 10:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

Rompers has a reputation beyond reputeRompers has a reputation beyond reputeRompers has a reputation beyond reputeRompers has a reputation beyond reputeRompers has a reputation beyond reputeRompers has a reputation beyond reputeRompers has a reputation beyond reputeRompers has a reputation beyond reputeRompers has a reputation beyond reputeRompers has a reputation beyond reputeRompers has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Evolution...new poll

Originally Posted by rushman
Religion told us that the sun and universe revolved around the Earth. Galileo found the truth and was persecuted by the catholic church for daring to say that the Earth revolved around the sun. Persecuted to the point that scientists of that period had to meet and discuss their beliefs and findings in secret to avoid punishment from the Pope.

I suppose religion was right then and is still right now?
History is littered with examples of people who arrogantly believe that their world view is right and persecute anyone who disgrees with it.

Didn't science once tell us the world was flat?
Old Oct 27th 2005, 11:22 pm
Account Closed

Sally is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Shahlax
Not to be pedantic, but regardless of wingspan, they are still dragonflies! I am talking about transitional animals, something that is nearly a dragonfly but not quite. That is how evolution supposedly works.
Not exactly. Mutations occur naturally and if they are better adapted to their environment, they will become more numerous and dominant.
Old Oct 27th 2005, 11:24 pm
Account Closed

[QUOTE=

Didn't science once tell us the world was flat?[/QUOTE]

Not that I recall. Which time period are you referring to? It was known that the earth was spherical in ancient Greece.
Old Oct 28th 2005, 12:00 am
You Are All Diseased

rincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rompers
Yet unlike religion, science changes with the times
Old Oct 28th 2005, 12:17 am
BE Forum Addict

Rompers has a reputation beyond reputeRompers has a reputation beyond reputeRompers has a reputation beyond reputeRompers has a reputation beyond reputeRompers has a reputation beyond reputeRompers has a reputation beyond reputeRompers has a reputation beyond reputeRompers has a reputation beyond reputeRompers has a reputation beyond reputeRompers has a reputation beyond reputeRompers has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rincewind
Yet unlike religion, science changes with the times
I don't think it's fair to say religion hasn't changed. It's been a while since we had a good inquisition or witch burning
Old Oct 28th 2005, 12:19 am
Account Closed

I don't think it's fair to say religion hasn't changed. It's been a while since we had a good inquisition or witch burning
...in our part of the world.
Old Oct 28th 2005, 12:32 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Sallyanne
...in our part of the world.
Don't make me try to defend every nut case cult or tribe. Thats no fair :scared:
Old Oct 28th 2005, 1:25 am
Account Closed

Rushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really nice

History is littered with examples of people who arrogantly believe that their world view is right and persecute anyone who disgrees with it.

I wouldn't say that "science" told us that, I don't recall any "scientists" of that period claiming that. I think it was more of a general consensus.

"If" science did initially claim that the Earth was flat, I think it also went some way to proving it wasn't with Newtons principle of gravity. I dont think that Columbus can be credited with discovering the earth was not flat because all he did was sail across the Atlantic, not circumnavigate the globe.
Old Oct 28th 2005, 1:31 am
Not dead yet

Thydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond repute

not circumnavigate the globe.
The earth's jewish?
Old Oct 28th 2005, 1:38 am
BE Forum Addict

I wouldn't say that "science" told us that, I don't recall any "scientists" of that period claiming that. I think it was more of a general consensus.

"If" science did initially claim that the Earth was flat, I think it also went some way to proving it wasn't with Newtons principle of gravity. I dont think that Columbus can be credited with discovering the earth was not flat because all he did was sail across the Atlantic, not circumnavigate the globe.
I think the consensus by the time Colombus made his trip was that the world was round - he was trying to find a short cut to the Far East by going west.

The point I was making is that the the scientific consensus in one century can look pretty stupid by the next. I wonder which of our firmly held scientific beliefs will be getting laughed at by 5th grade pupils in a hundred years time. It isn't just religious leaders who make arses of themselves by claiming they know all the answers.
Old Oct 28th 2005, 2:17 am
Account Closed

Rushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really nice

It isn't just religious leaders who make arses of themselves by claiming they know all the answers.
couldnt agree more
Old Oct 28th 2005, 11:51 am
You Are All Diseased

rincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond repute

Try living in Georgia
Old Oct 28th 2005, 1:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by rincewind
Try living in Georgia
I refer the honourable gentlemen to the answer I gave earlier.

Don't make me try to defend every nut case cult or tribe. Thats no fair