Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Evolution...new poll

Evolution...new poll

Old Oct 27th 2005, 4:43 pm
You Are All Diseased

rincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Evolution...new poll

Originally Posted by ctwickman
this is a good place to start if you are open minded enough to hear and be part of the debate
I love it when the "open minded" card comes out.

For me personally, I have done all the research necessary to reach my conclusion.

Masking faith as a science will not push me any nearer to warrant any attention to Intelligent Design. Same old story, different marketing.
Old Oct 27th 2005, 4:45 pm

Shahlax is a glorious beacon of lightShahlax is a glorious beacon of lightShahlax is a glorious beacon of lightShahlax is a glorious beacon of lightShahlax is a glorious beacon of lightShahlax is a glorious beacon of lightShahlax is a glorious beacon of lightShahlax is a glorious beacon of lightShahlax is a glorious beacon of lightShahlax is a glorious beacon of lightShahlax is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by ctwickman
^

I think the point of people who "don't believe in evolution" like myself is simply a matter of symantecs. Arguing over apples and oranges never gets us anywhere, so let me just say I don't know of ANYONE who does not believe in microevolution. It is scientific and TESTABLE. There is a big difference between naturally selecting what information is already there or via a point mutation in bacterial R-conjugation (which is how bacteria can become resistant) and leaping from that scientific fact all the way to the imagination that you literally came from a rock, and that rock literally came from nothing. The evolution you speak of is testable and does not create a new species, simply a current species that is resistant to a current environmental insult. This is natural selection which is completely testable and scientific. In order to get it to change, you have to have the insult, and the bacteria in absence of the insult is actually WORSE off and doesn't live as long. Read also sickle cell disease and the resistance in Africans to Plasmodium vivax. The individual is now resistant to malaria, but in the absence of malaria or otherwise lives only to be 40 years old, and has a lot of problems with morbidity in life. The mutation has resulted in a human that has evolved to a.... human, and one who is WORSE off than before in absence of the environmental insult.

That is a far cry from what some propose, that there is no intelligence above ourselves and that we have no conscious origin. This is called pure Darwinism or Macroevolution. I know of no scientist that doesn't believe in Microevolution, but I know quite a few that realize that Macroevolution is totally non-scientific, and may in fact not even be true as evidence for the Cambrian "explosion of life" mounts. Macroevolution (you and I came from a rock, and that rock came from nothing at all) is a leap of FAITH and is totally non-scientific no matter how you want to argue it. It is not testable and if you REALLY read up on it, the evidence is sorely lacking. There are a couple fossil icons of evolution such as Lucy and a couple jawbones, but even the lead curator of the British Museum admits that there are no real transitional fossil forms and has been quoted on it. I am not going to say that Macroevolution is not logical. It totally is. You can IMAGINE it happening logically based on what we know of Microevolution, which is testable. There is a big difference between a logical conclusion and a truthful conclusion, however, and a distinction should be made as for some people the logic that follows from Microevolution leads one to believe Macroevolution has already been proven, which is hasn't. You will be hard pressed to find anyone who will tell you that Macroevolution has been proven, whether they believe in it or not.

Re: Intelligent Design... The information is out there--there is a very large intelligent design movement among scientists and it is growing as we learn more about the complexities of life. This isn't a movement of radical Christians who want you to come to church with them.... these are people who have dedicated their life to scientific research and finding out the truth to our origins, as the debate itself is far from over and there is no reason to believe we have solved this puzzle yet, unless you are so stubborn that your mind is made up based on what you have been taught. http://www.origins.org is a good place to start and has some good debates on the subject, and is lead by a renown professor from Berkeley.

In other words, with Google and the Internet, there is no excuse to be ignorant about intelligent design theories or at the very least the evidence against macroevolution, which you will find there is plenty of. The information and journals are a click away. The only reason certain people don't know much about this, however, is that they either 1) Weren't taught it (i.e., most of us)., or 2) Anything involving intelligence in the design of our bodies is demonized by certain people who simply want to cover their ears because they think it is religious, and they hate religion. Curiousity got the best of me though, and that curious nature has made me, I feel, a fantastic physician and researcher. From the beginning of my medical career I can't think of a single instance where having to believe in macroevolution and origins science is ever relevant in medical science. It certainly isn't taught or integrated into the medical science curriculum they teach at medical schools.

It is not to say that there is direct evidence for "God" but that with the realities we are faced with, when you research what exactly we and this universe are made of, and you learn more about it, you are at least faced with the conclusion that it is totally reasonable to believe that there was intelligence involved in how and why we are here. I am not hear to argue for ID, just to give some information on it because it is currently where I am leaning as I get older and learn more. I have not concluded that Macroevolution is completely false, just that it is as just as non-scientific as ID. The more you read, the more you at least come to the conclusion that those who believe intelligence was involved (whether you call it "God" or aliens, or whatever) are not crazy and merely just ignorant and "stupid," that is such a cop out for those who simply don't feel there can be any debate. Some of the smartest and most informed colleagues that I know are ID proponents. Just the mere fact that our bodies contain vast amounts of design information, which in EVERY aspect of our life is a hallmark of intelligence, at least points us away from the view that our lives have no conscious origin. Then you absolutely must conclude that the universe is either conscious and always has been, or it never was and spontaneously become conscious of itself through us, a product of it. That is what you believe if you are a pure Darwinist.

None of these debates is important to moving medical science forward BTW, it is just fun discussion, though most people's minds seem made up on this forum. If you are interested there is a lot of information out there... like I've said, this is a good place to start if you are open minded enough to hear and be part of the debate:

http://www.origins.org/menus/evolution.html
http://www.origins.org/menus/debates.html
Thanks for giving us a different view point. I agree that people who hate religion jump onto the evolution band wagon. They don't necessarily look at the lack of evidence holding up darwinism. For instance, how come there are no fossils records showing the intermediary species? All the fossil records show that each species suddenly appeared on earth, fully formed.

Take the human cell. Scientists agree it is one of the most complex structures in the human body. All the basic components of the cell, each performing many vital functions, have to be intact in order for the cell to survive. If evolution created the cell, then millions of its components had to simultaneously exist in the same place and had to come together in a particular order and plan.

Sir Fred Hoyle (English mathematician and astronomer and an evolutionist) said that the "odds that higher life forms might have emerged in this way was comparable to the odds of a tornado sweeping through a junk-yard assembling a Boeing 747 from the materials in it."

Even evolutionists are struggling to find really scientific evidence to support Darwin's theory. It is a theory anyway, not a scientific law (for instance, like Newton's laws).
Old Oct 27th 2005, 4:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

Rompers has a reputation beyond reputeRompers has a reputation beyond reputeRompers has a reputation beyond reputeRompers has a reputation beyond reputeRompers has a reputation beyond reputeRompers has a reputation beyond reputeRompers has a reputation beyond reputeRompers has a reputation beyond reputeRompers has a reputation beyond reputeRompers has a reputation beyond reputeRompers has a reputation beyond repute

Why isn't it possible to believe in God and evolution? Surely one deals with "how" and the other "why" man was created.
Old Oct 27th 2005, 5:17 pm
Wurzel turned redneck

nxylas is a glorious beacon of lightnxylas is a glorious beacon of lightnxylas is a glorious beacon of lightnxylas is a glorious beacon of lightnxylas is a glorious beacon of lightnxylas is a glorious beacon of lightnxylas is a glorious beacon of lightnxylas is a glorious beacon of lightnxylas is a glorious beacon of lightnxylas is a glorious beacon of lightnxylas is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Sallyanne
Why not let God decide who lives and dies
Someone once told me that Jim Henson died of some easily treatable disease like pneumonia, but that he belonged to some sect that basically took that attitude, and so refused treatment. Anyone know if there's any truth in this?
Old Oct 27th 2005, 5:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

Rompers has a reputation beyond reputeRompers has a reputation beyond reputeRompers has a reputation beyond reputeRompers has a reputation beyond reputeRompers has a reputation beyond reputeRompers has a reputation beyond reputeRompers has a reputation beyond reputeRompers has a reputation beyond reputeRompers has a reputation beyond reputeRompers has a reputation beyond reputeRompers has a reputation beyond repute

There's a big flood. A bloke is sitting on his rooftop when a boat comes along to rescue him. "I'm OK he says...God will save me." The water continues rising and another boat comes along. Again he sends the boat away saying "God will save me." Finally, with the water up to his waist, a helicopter comes along. "I don't need you" he tells the pilot, "God will save me."
Soon after he is swept way and drowned. At the pearly gates he meets God and asks "Why didn't you save me." God looks angry, "You idiot, I sent you two boats and a helicopter, what more do you want!"
Old Oct 27th 2005, 5:50 pm
You Are All Diseased

rincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shahlax
I agree that people who hate religion jump onto the evolution band wagon. They don't necessarily look at the lack of evidence holding up darwinism. For instance, how come there are no fossils records showing the intermediary species? All the fossil records show that each species suddenly appeared on earth, fully formed.
You've been ill informed. Try more research. Fossil records DO NOT show that each species showed up fully formed. Far from it.

Look into the fossil records from these periods (forgive me if I missed any, my memory isn't what it used to be):

Permian Period
Triasic Period
Jurasic Period
Cretaceous
Eocene Epoch
Oligocene Epoch

And you maybe surprised to know that not all people who "hate religion" jump on to the "evolution band wagon." I know many people that really don't give a damn and live their life however they wish and without worrying over how they got here (beyond the usual Mother and Father route.)

Last edited by rincewind; Oct 27th 2005 at 5:52 pm.
Old Oct 27th 2005, 6:35 pm

Shahlax is a glorious beacon of lightShahlax is a glorious beacon of lightShahlax is a glorious beacon of lightShahlax is a glorious beacon of lightShahlax is a glorious beacon of lightShahlax is a glorious beacon of lightShahlax is a glorious beacon of lightShahlax is a glorious beacon of lightShahlax is a glorious beacon of lightShahlax is a glorious beacon of lightShahlax is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by rincewind
You've been ill informed. Try more research. Fossil records DO NOT show that each species showed up fully formed. Far from it.
What you are referring to are still individual species, e.g. there are fossils showing dinasaurs with wings (half reptile, half bird type creature). Yes there are some fossils like this. You cannot use similarities between species to conclude that one evolved from the other.

There is no fossil record for millions of transitional forms that should have been found. Take the dragonfly for instance. The oldest dragonfly fossil is exactly the same as the newest one. There is no dragonfly with half wings or 4 legs. Same for other insects. Did they suddenly develop 6 legs from no legs?

I am no scientist but the 'missing link' debate is a very valid one.
Old Oct 27th 2005, 7:08 pm
Forum Regular

UJ_99 has a brilliant futureUJ_99 has a brilliant futureUJ_99 has a brilliant futureUJ_99 has a brilliant futureUJ_99 has a brilliant futureUJ_99 has a brilliant futureUJ_99 has a brilliant future

There is no fossil record for millions of transitional forms that should have been found. Take the dragonfly for instance. The oldest dragonfly fossil is exactly the same as the newest one. There is no dragonfly with half wings or 4 legs.
No, but ancient dragonflies were much larger. Meganeura from the Carboniferous era had a wing span of 700mm, but the modern wing span of a dragonfly is only 100mm.

I am no scientist but the 'missing link' debate is a very valid one.
Not really - just because a theory has some gaps means you have to throw it out?!? Or because it cannot explain everything, then it is wrong and God must exist? Because that is the argument being put forward by ID proponents, who do little but point at the 'gaps' in Evolution, and say because there are gaps, ID must be right.

ID is a stealth way to teach Christianity in schools, that is all.
Old Oct 27th 2005, 7:26 pm

Originally Posted by UJ_99
No, but ancient dragonflies were much larger. Meganeura from the Carboniferous era had a wing span of 700mm, but the modern wing span of a dragonfly is only 100mm.
Not to be pedantic, but regardless of wingspan, they are still dragonflies! I am talking about transitional animals, something that is nearly a dragonfly but not quite. That is how evolution supposedly works.

Not really - just because a theory has some gaps means you have to throw it out?!? Or because it cannot explain everything, then it is wrong and God must exist? Because that is the argument being put forward by ID proponents, who do little but point at the 'gaps' in Evolution, and say because there are gaps, ID must be right.

ID is a stealth way to teach Christianity in schools, that is all.

Of course a theory can have gaps. but the more gaps it has the less believable it is. The scientists who believe in ID are not the same people who care about Christianity being taught in schools. That's the US government.
Old Oct 27th 2005, 8:08 pm
Forum Regular

UJ_99 has a brilliant futureUJ_99 has a brilliant futureUJ_99 has a brilliant futureUJ_99 has a brilliant futureUJ_99 has a brilliant futureUJ_99 has a brilliant futureUJ_99 has a brilliant future

Not to be pedantic, but regardless of wingspan, they are still dragonflies! I am talking about transitional animals, something that is nearly a dragonfly but not quite. That is how evolution supposedly works..
They are still dragonflies, but a decrease in size by 700% seems like quite a transition. Dragonflies adapted early, and the only further adaptation needed was size. Same with cockroaches.

And for every dragonfly there are hundreds and hundreds of other transitionary fossils. Again, pointing out the gaps in a theory doesn't make an alternative more credible.

Of course a theory can have gaps. but the more gaps it has the less believable it is...
Which doesn't make the alternative (ID) more believable: ID doesn't have an answer for who the designer is! If the central tenat of your arguement is an intelligent designer, but you have no idea (and no research is being done by ID-ers to find out), who the designer is, that is a HUGE gap!

The scientists who believe in ID are not the same people who care about Christianity being taught in schools. That's the US government
No, Michael Behe has testified in front of a number of school boards about teaching ID, and the Discovery Institute works for this also. And whether you want to admit it or not, ID is saying that the God of Christianity designed us. Bush wants it taught in schools as a sop to the religious right, which proves the point.
Old Oct 27th 2005, 8:23 pm
Account Closed

Rushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really nice

Religion told us that the sun and universe revolved around the Earth. Galileo found the truth and was persecuted by the catholic church for daring to say that the Earth revolved around the sun. Persecuted to the point that scientists of that period had to meet and discuss their beliefs and findings in secret to avoid punishment from the Pope.

I suppose religion was right then and is still right now?
Old Oct 27th 2005, 8:53 pm

Originally Posted by rushman
Religion told us that the sun and universe revolved around the Earth. Galileo found the truth and was persecuted by the catholic church for daring to say that the Earth revolved around the sun. Persecuted to the point that scientists of that period had to meet and discuss their beliefs and findings in secret to avoid punishment from the Pope.

I suppose religion was right then and is still right now?
Correction, the Bible, told us the sun and universe revolve around the earth. Not all believers of ID are Christian or believe in the bible.
Old Oct 27th 2005, 8:53 pm
Not dead yet

Thydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rincewind
Replace viruses with bacteria and that's what I was getting at.

I knew what you meant was just being as smart as you
Old Oct 27th 2005, 8:59 pm
Not dead yet

Thydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Yorkieabroad
Religious Education - we actually had a class debate about bible vs darwin

Well that explains it I was asleep
Old Oct 27th 2005, 9:02 pm
Not dead yet

You should see the size of some of the things down here. I'm surprised they haven't been conscripted to serve in Iraq

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.