Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

The Duggars Are At It Again

The Duggars Are At It Again

Old Sep 2nd 2009, 7:18 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The Duggars Are At It Again

Originally Posted by nethead
Oh? You seemed to be agreeing with him/her.
You seem to be taking an offhand comment personally. Did I say that anyone w/more than a certain number were stupid? No, but if you were approaching 20, I'd say there are a few screws loose. There is a significant different between 5 and 20. Take it from my personal experience from living in a state with people that are not generally known for an intelligence factor. I've seen more than my fair share of large families here, and the vast majority are not families where the parents would be considered smart. Take my generalization however you want.
Old Sep 2nd 2009, 7:30 pm
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sunflwrgrl13
You seem to be taking an offhand comment personally. Did I say that anyone w/more than a certain number were stupid? No, but if you were approaching 20, I'd say there are a few screws loose. There is a significant different between 5 and 20. Take it from my personal experience from living in a state with people that are not generally known for an intelligence factor. I've seen more than my fair share of large families here, and the vast majority are not families where the parents would be considered smart. Take my generalization however you want.
I think it's pretty common knowledge that uneducated people have a tendency to procreate earlier and more often than those with an education. I think it has less to do with intelligence and more to do with poverty and ignorance. And of course there are exceptions to every rule.

This may be a relatively new trend ... it seems like in the old days rich/poor, educated/ignorant ... everybody had a bunch of kids. I don't have the data though, these are just my observations. It's actually unfortunate as medium/biggish families are great fun. I'm talking about 4 - 7 kids though because 20 is really just taking the piss.

In my parent's generation having lots of kids wasn't really expensive and they were necessary to help with the farm or family business. That is not the case any longer.

Last edited by Leslie; Sep 2nd 2009 at 9:07 pm.
Old Sep 2nd 2009, 8:28 pm

chartreuse is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Leslie66
In my parent's generation having lots of kids wasn't really expensive and they were necessary to help with the farm or family business. That is not the case any longer.
I think you might be on to something there. I'm not referring to the Duggars, here, who appear to be managing from their own resources, but...

Sometimes it seems (certainly back in the UK) that a majority of those popping out sprogs like there's no tomorrow are on benefits of some kind, while those who are paying for those benefits are having fewer kids, because they are very much aware of the cost of raising them.
Old Sep 2nd 2009, 8:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

CelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chartreuse
I think you might be on to something there. I'm not referring to the Duggars, here, who appear to be managing from their own resources, but...

Sometimes it seems (certainly back in the UK) that a majority of those popping out sprogs like there's no tomorrow are on benefits of some kind, while those who are paying for those benefits are having fewer kids, because they are very much aware of the cost of raising them.
'Cradle to grave care', perhaps?
Old Sep 2nd 2009, 8:32 pm
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chartreuse

Yeah, that's my point exactly.
Old Sep 2nd 2009, 8:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

nethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sunflwrgrl13
Yup, I did take it personally, even though I tried not to, it's difficult when someone questions my intelligence because I have more than the average number of children.