Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Probably a dumb question...

Probably a dumb question...

Old Sep 2nd 2009, 5:01 pm
Forum Regular

bohemianprincess is just really nicebohemianprincess is just really nicebohemianprincess is just really nicebohemianprincess is just really nicebohemianprincess is just really nicebohemianprincess is just really nicebohemianprincess is just really nicebohemianprincess is just really nicebohemianprincess is just really nice
Default Probably a dumb question...

A quick, dumb one...

My Scottish boyfriend applied for his passport several months ago, and he's waiting for it's arrival. That's all great... He then intends to travel to US so we can meet and have the fairy tale life we think we're going to have (hehe).

Anyway, is there any special application or paperwork we need to submit to receive a VWP, or does he just buy his airfare and come.

We now realize that this is the first step in our K-1 process (if things work out).

So basically, what do we need to do once his passport arrives?

THANK YOUUU
Old Sep 2nd 2009, 5:03 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Probably a dumb question...

Originally Posted by bohemianprincess
So basically, what do we need to do once his passport arrives?

THANK YOUUU
No paperwork necessary on his part. Just show his passport and get on the plane.

On the plane, he will fill out a green I-94W card. At the POE, they will put a date on that card how long he can stay in the USA (usually 90 days). He hands that card back in when he leaves the USA.

Rene
Old Sep 2nd 2009, 5:03 pm
Instigator of the Post

TracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to behold

Buys his airfare and gets on the plane. Bon voyage!
Old Sep 2nd 2009, 5:04 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Noorah101
No paperwork necessary on his part. Just show his passport and get on the plane.

On the plane, he will fill out a green I-94W card. At the POE, they will put a date on that card how long he can stay in the USA (usually 90 days). He hands that card back in when he leaves the USA.

Rene
Sorry, I should have mentioned ESTA! It's new, so I keep forgetting.

He should complete an ESTA application online before traveling on the VWP, this gives him a pre-clearance to use the VWP.

Rene
Old Sep 2nd 2009, 5:04 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bohemianprincess
Anyway, is there any special application or paperwork we need to submit to receive a VWP, or does he just buy his airfare and come.
He must apply for ESTA online - it's the first step *before* he buys a plane ticket. If ESTA says okay, he's good to go.

https://esta.cbp.dhs.gov

Ian
Old Sep 2nd 2009, 5:09 pm
Instigator of the Post

TracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to behold

Ooh yeah - obviously it's been a while since we've done that! See - good to have so many smart peeps on this site.
Old Sep 2nd 2009, 5:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

YouWantFriesWithThat has a reputation beyond reputeYouWantFriesWithThat has a reputation beyond reputeYouWantFriesWithThat has a reputation beyond reputeYouWantFriesWithThat has a reputation beyond reputeYouWantFriesWithThat has a reputation beyond reputeYouWantFriesWithThat has a reputation beyond reputeYouWantFriesWithThat has a reputation beyond reputeYouWantFriesWithThat has a reputation beyond reputeYouWantFriesWithThat has a reputation beyond reputeYouWantFriesWithThat has a reputation beyond reputeYouWantFriesWithThat has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,

Like Rene said, 90 days is the limit for the VWP. Rule of thumb with the VWP is to spend more time out of the USA than in, in a 12 month period when visiting each other.

When you arrive in the USA you complete an I-94W, the airline will give you this. The officer at the POE will tear off the lower portion and give it to you, usually stapled into your passport.

When you come to leave the USA you hand in this part of the I-94W (with the details of your departure completed) at the airport, to show that you have left the USA. I used to keep a photocopy of this part of the I-94W before handing it in so that I had details of my departure record.
Old Sep 2nd 2009, 5:15 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

A round trip ticket is a requirement of using the VWP.
A couple of people have missed that lately.
Old Sep 2nd 2009, 5:18 pm

Originally Posted by YouWantFriesWithThat
Hi,

Like Rene said, 90 days is the limit for the VWP. Rule of thumb with the VWP is to spend more time out of the USA than in, in a 12 month period when visiting each other.
I don't think it's within a 12-month period, I think it's all the time.

For example, you come visit the USA from Jan - March (starting a 12-month period in Jan). Then you come visit again from Oct - Dec (ending that 12-month period). It's not a good idea to come right back again the next month (Jan -the start of a new 12-month period). You still need to be outside the USA longer between visits than you were inside the USA.

Rene
Old Sep 2nd 2009, 5:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

YouWantFriesWithThat has a reputation beyond reputeYouWantFriesWithThat has a reputation beyond reputeYouWantFriesWithThat has a reputation beyond reputeYouWantFriesWithThat has a reputation beyond reputeYouWantFriesWithThat has a reputation beyond reputeYouWantFriesWithThat has a reputation beyond reputeYouWantFriesWithThat has a reputation beyond reputeYouWantFriesWithThat has a reputation beyond reputeYouWantFriesWithThat has a reputation beyond reputeYouWantFriesWithThat has a reputation beyond reputeYouWantFriesWithThat has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Rene,

Yes, I was referring to a rolling 12 month period (although I did actually ask the officer at the POE about this and was told each case is assessed on its merits, no surprise there).
Old Sep 2nd 2009, 5:49 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Rene,

Yes, I was referring to a rolling 12 month period (although I did actually ask the officer at the POE about this and was told each case is assessed on its merits, no surprise there).

And be sure that he does not have a criminal past, even one from his juvenile stage. A crime of moral turpitude means he cannot use the VWP.

Can use his ties to Scot if asked and has enough money to last his length of stay.

Also to be honest at the Port of Entry (POE). Answer only the questions asked. The infamous example is: Do you know what time it is? Answer: Yes. Do not elaborate.

Last edited by Rete; Sep 2nd 2009 at 5:52 pm.
Old Sep 2nd 2009, 10:15 pm
Forum Regular

bohemianprincess is just really nicebohemianprincess is just really nicebohemianprincess is just really nicebohemianprincess is just really nicebohemianprincess is just really nicebohemianprincess is just really nicebohemianprincess is just really nicebohemianprincess is just really nicebohemianprincess is just really nice

THANK YOU SO MUCH to you ALL for all your help and passing on your knowledge!!! Impressive group. Glad I found you.

I was on that government site for hours last night trying to navigate a notion of WTH I was reading, and I like it much better here. Somebody here should give them a few pointers on how to lay it out. Maybe it would help with a smoother process for everybody. I say this tongue-in-cheek, but hey maybe there's a visa in it for somebody!
Old Sep 2nd 2009, 10:17 pm
Forum Regular

Answer only the questions asked. The infamous example is: Do you know what time it is? Answer: Yes. Do not elaborate.[/QUOTE]

That's cracking me up But duly noted.
Old Sep 2nd 2009, 10:55 pm
Banned

Matthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond repute

When you come to leave the USA you hand in this part of the I-94W (with the details of your departure completed) at the airport, to show that you have left the USA. I used to keep a photocopy of this part of the I-94W before handing it in so that I had details of my departure record.
I recall another attorney I worked with at the beginning of my practice saying that when she would fly in and out of SFO (airport in San Francisco) she would often see the stubs of I-94 cards that were collected by the airline employees upon departure of the visitor, lying on the floor behind the counter. Basically, the proof that the person departed the U.S. would never make it into the system. Back then we would recommend that every time a visitor departs the U.S. that they not assume that information makes it into the system; and to help avoid problems in the future the visitor should collect some evidence upon landing in the foreign destination that the person in fact was in the foreign destination on that particular date.