Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Differences between UK and USA culture/living

Differences between UK and USA culture/living

Old Jul 14th 2007, 6:57 pm
Banned

Lord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Differences between UK and USA culture/living

Originally Posted by Lycanthrop
Yeah, I thought of that.......you could apply that logic to the issue of racism. Sort of......"how can Americans possibly be racist???"

No, my point was........there are some things which define a nations culture which you can point your finger at and say "That is English (Rugby/Cricket), or that is German (Sauerkraut/Showers).......the same surely applies to the US......just wondering what other people could see as Uniquely American.

Fish and Chips are Jewish ??? .........never!
Just a quick post as I'm on my way out the door. Here is a a copy of one of my blog entries where I sat down and thought of great Americans and their influences on the world.

http://britishexpats.com/blogs/lionh...bout+Lucy.html

A few uniquely American things of the top of my head;

Hamburgers - Macdonalds, fast food
Baseball
Football - Grid iron
Skyscrapers - New York's skyline and it's influence on other world cities
Slang
Hip-hop, breakdancing, rapping
Creole and Cajun food
Cocktails
The atomic bomb - Manhattan project
Rodeo
BBQ

I'd also wager a bet that the majority of Nobel prizes are now being awarded to Americans in the sciences. A century ago it probably would have been British. Maybe someone can find a link to substantiate this??

Here's your link on the origins of Fish and chips;
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/3380151.stm

I read they were developed in the east end by immigrant Jews.

Not sure about your analogy on racism, little wide of the mark IMHO
Old Jul 14th 2007, 7:01 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

The world series ...
Old Jul 14th 2007, 7:08 pm

Lycanthrop is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Lord Lionheart
A few uniquely American things of the top of my head;
Hamburgers - Macdonalds, fast food
Baseball
Football - Grid iron
Skyscrapers - New York's skyline and it's influence on other world cities
Slang
Hip-hop, breakdancing, rapping
Creole and Cajun food
Cocktails
The atomic bomb - Manhattan project
Rodeo
BBQ
Drive thru's
Rock'n'Roll
Serial killers (and before you get started, Ghengis Khan doesn't really count here.. )
Mass factory production (Henry Ford....)
Old Jul 14th 2007, 7:25 pm
Unmitigated Gall

another bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond repute

Since the original post has gone by the wayside........as is to be expected, here's a thought:

If you strip away anything borrowed by other countries from American culture what are you left with? In a truer sense of the word.......culture would be something unique to the US.:
I think in recent years other countries have borrowed many things from American culture. Some folks aren't exactly happy about it either.

Or, do you mean borrowed from other countries by American culture?

Here you grow up realizing that nearly everything and everyone originated somewhere else. American culture is the cultures of the world mixed up in one. Even the Cowboys you mentioned originated with the Spanish. The Cajun and Creoles are a mixture of French, Spanish and African influences. Blues, Jazz, Rock and Roll all derived from African roots. Even the Appalacian mountain music was developed by Americans but the instruments evolved
from African origins.

So, what sort of unique things do you have here?

The Cowboy and his way of life....
The various flavours of Southern life (Nascar, family dining, zealous religion...)

.......well, that sucks......those are the only ones I can think of.

Nascar is a good one. It originated with rum Runners during prohibition. Possibly drag racing/ hot rodding as well as it developed post war, but this might have been going on simutaneously in the U.K. I 'm not sure what you mean by family dining and in light of recent world events I think The US hardly has a monopoly on religious zealots!

Last edited by another bloody yank; Jul 14th 2007 at 7:30 pm.
Old Jul 14th 2007, 7:30 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by another bloody yank
American culture is the cultures of the world mixed up in one. Even the Cowboys you mentioned originated with the Spanish.
Despite my scepticism, I once found culture here in Phoenix. The electric had failed while I was away, and there was a pile of slimy green culture growing in the bottom of my fridge. Never seen it since.
Old Jul 14th 2007, 7:37 pm
Unmitigated Gall

another bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fatbrit
Despite my scepticism, I once found culture here in Phoenix. The electric had failed while I was away, and there was a pile of slimy green culture growing in the bottom of my fridge. Never seen it since.
Penicillin was devoped in the U.K.
Old Jul 14th 2007, 7:54 pm

hatfield1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Since the original post has gone by the wayside........as is to be expected, here's a thought:

If you strip away anything borrowed by other countries from American culture what are you left with? In a truer sense of the word.......culture would be something unique to the US.

The various flavours of Southern life (Nascar, family dining, zealous religion...)

Big cars, ketchup, being loud, think they are better tan everyone else (Could be the brit in them) Oh and fat
Old Jul 14th 2007, 8:07 pm
Unmitigated Gall

Originally Posted by hatfield1
better tan everyone else (Could be the brit in them) Oh and fat
I hardly think our ability to tan is due to our Brit blood...
Fat? We are better at that than any other country in the world!
Old Jul 14th 2007, 8:18 pm

Originally Posted by another bloody yank
I hardly think our ability to tan is due to our Brit blood...
Fat? We are better at that than any other country in the world!
Sorry tan =than, brain is off for the weekend. I meant big and fat (gut=fast-food). Although I tan rather nicely thank you.
Old Jul 14th 2007, 8:22 pm
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Ray
The world series ...
Old Jul 14th 2007, 8:25 pm
Account Closed

southern comfort is an unknown quantity at this point

If you strip away anything borrowed by other countries from American culture what are you left with? In a truer sense of the word.......culture would be sohttp://www.mnsu.edu/emuseum/cultural/northamerica/mething [U]

http://www.mnsu.edu/emuseum/cultural/northamerica/

Last edited by southern comfort; Jul 14th 2007 at 8:29 pm. Reason: error
Old Jul 14th 2007, 8:34 pm
Account Closed

southern comfort is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by southern comfort
OOOPs.........same link you posted, but that is original american culture

Last edited by southern comfort; Jul 14th 2007 at 8:34 pm. Reason: error
Old Jul 14th 2007, 8:37 pm
Unmitigated Gall

Originally Posted by hatfield1
Sorry tan =than, brain is off for the weekend. I meant big and fat (gut=fast-food). Although I tan rather nicely thank you.

Oh, gotcha. You meant gross obesity as a uniquely American cultural phenomenon. Have a nice weekend!
Old Jul 14th 2007, 8:37 pm

Originally Posted by TruBrit
Why is that so funny?
Old Jul 14th 2007, 8:40 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond repute

Well I came up with graham crackers, fortune cookies and tap dancing to add to the list from a google search. Somewhat random!

and soul food of course

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.