Coffee

Old Jun 18th 2011, 11:16 am
Sleepless In Chicago

MrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Coffee

Originally Posted by Herpes Simplex
Well I've listened to you all - and by listened I of course mean I've ignored you all and bought a Keurig single cup machine. Price was okay where I was and I got a ton of the K-cup flavors from a friend of mine. I used to drink from one of these in work all day long and was never unhappy with it.

Cheers though.

I wouldn't mind one of them but the water isn't hot enough! It needs a 30 second boost in the microwave! My mother in law has one and the coffee tastes better (than) instant but just not hot enough!

Last edited by MrEmjoy; Jun 18th 2011 at 11:24 am. Reason: Asleep still. Added a word.
Old Jun 19th 2011, 4:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

joto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond repute

I was going to try out our French Press today and grind some beans for it. F**kn grinder won't work. Admittedly, I haven't used the grinder for a while, but it hasn't been used much. It's a Cuisinart one. Has any one got any suggestions for a decent electric coffee grinder that will last.
Old Jun 19th 2011, 4:55 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by joto
I was going to try out our French Press today and grind some beans for it. F**kn grinder won't work. Admittedly, I haven't used the grinder for a while, but it hasn't been used much. It's a Cuisinart one. Has any one got any suggestions for a decent electric coffee grinder that will last.
Mine is a Braun - at least 30 years old. Cost about $8 I think. Krups looks like the major brand nowadays though..
Old Jun 19th 2011, 5:29 pm
Sleepless In Chicago

MrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to behold

Also have a Braun, but if were to get a new one I would go with a burr grinder of some description as it produces a more consistent grind, with the blade grinder that I have now 10% of the bean goes to waste as powder. The Burr grinders eliminate that.

Check out http://www.coffeegeek.com/reviews/grinders for some good reviews.
Old Jun 19th 2011, 6:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

nethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond repute

Blimey, I never thought choosing and making coffee could be so complicated...
Old Jun 19th 2011, 7:15 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nethead
Blimey, I never thought choosing and making coffee could be so complicated...
It's a full time job. That is why I'll be retiring soon, to devote more time to coffee and other life ceremonies.
Old Jun 19th 2011, 7:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

nethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by robin1234
It's a full time job. That is why I'll be retiring soon, to devote more time to coffee and other life ceremonies.
Hahaha, I hope you enjoy your retirement I usually only drink one cup of coffee a day, so I'm no connoisseur of coffee, as long as it's not too bitter tasting I generally buy whatever there's a special offer on (although I draw the line at Folgers bleurghh).
Old Jun 19th 2011, 8:36 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

willmore has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by Herpes Simplex
Can anyone recommend some really tasty ground coffee? I've tried a bunch and quite a lot of them are sour and nasty. And considering people round here think that Dunkin Donuts makes nice coffee leads me to seek outside advice.

And nothing stupidly expensive, or something that has been crapped through an animal first please.
Chock full of nuts is fabulous (if you can find it)......

Last edited by willmore; Jun 19th 2011 at 8:41 pm.
Old Jun 19th 2011, 8:40 pm
Heading for Poppyland

Originally Posted by willmore
Crock full of nuts is fabulous (if you can find it)......
Typo, or another brand?
Old Jun 19th 2011, 8:41 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

willmore has disabled reputation

Typo, or another brand?
Sorry - I corrected it and thanks......
Old Jun 20th 2011, 2:48 am
BE Enthusiast

CAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond repute

try Gold Rush Coffee Hotel California ---from humboldt county
nice!
Old Jun 20th 2011, 2:56 am
BE Enthusiast

Englishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to behold

Yes, sorry I wasn't clear. I was contrasting a French Press (hard to eliminate at least some sediment) with making coffee using filter cone and paper filter, which eliminates sediment. I take your point though, that some French Presses are better at eliminating sediment than others..
The trouble with using paper filters is they also filter out the natural oils in the bean so you end up with a bitter taste.

My recommendation is French Press & grind the beans each morning with a burr grinder, a blade "grinder" doesn't grind but chops the beans in to irregular sized bits which will effect the taste. Oh and only drink Peets - everything else is beyond sub par.

Last edited by Englishman43; Jun 20th 2011 at 2:59 am.
Old Jun 20th 2011, 2:57 am
BE Enthusiast

Englishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by joto
Yup get a Saeco bloody tip top
Old Jun 20th 2011, 12:29 pm
Heading for Poppyland

Originally Posted by Englishman43
The trouble with using paper filters is they also filter out the natural oils in the bean so you end up with a bitter taste.

My recommendation is French Press & grind the beans each morning with a burr grinder, a blade "grinder" doesn't grind but chops the beans in to irregular sized bits which will effect the taste. Oh and only drink Peets - everything else is beyond sub par.
I tried Peets once, never again. It was very poor.

Problem is there are so many variables with coffee. For about two years I've ordered four pounds a month of beans from Zabars in NYC. Usually it is just right, but about 10% of the time it is crap.
  • my well water may vary
  • once in a while they maybe send me a lb of beans not freshly roasted
  • even though fresh and well roasted, the beans may have been sub-par
  • inadvertently didn't clean jug, filter cone or grinder properly
  • etc.
I agree about the burr grinder.. just haven't got around to buying one yet (too much of a tight-wad..)