Coffee

Old Jun 11th 2011, 9:49 pm
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Coffee

Originally Posted by another bloody yank
Chock full o' nuts still comes in a metal can. I like that.
True enough. That said, I remember when a one-pound can had 16 oz of coffee in it.

Personally, I buy the 2 lb bag of Kirkland beans from Costco [which they get from a Seattle firm called "Starbucks."] For my morning java, it is just fine.

BTW, when I was in law school I would make cold extraction coffee by dumping a pound of Chock Full O Nuts into a 5 quart pot, fill it up with cold water and then let it sit for 24 hours. I would then drain it through cheesecloth. Kept the result in the refrigerator. For morning coffee, fill up a 1/3 of a cup and then top off with boiling water. It was smooth and acid free. Once I graduated, I went over to drip.
Old Jun 11th 2011, 9:53 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dyqik
I bought a Black and Decker filter machine from Target earlier - the one with a Thermos style carafe. It seems to work, and make a decent cup of coffee, and keeps it warm for a couple of hours without making it taste foul from heating it.

At least it'll do until my Gaggia Classic espresso machine arrives with my stuff (£30 from Ebay 3 years ago...) and I can rewire it for 110V. Then I just need to find a grinder and the right kind of popcorn maker for roasting beans (or spend some money on a proper roaster).

Sweet Maria's is my main source for information on roasting and beans, and I guess they might be my main source for beans now I'm in the US.
I used to roast my own beans years ago, I used to deal with Sweet Marias and they are very good. I think (if I remember correctly) I got my "starter" roaster from them. Cost about $100.. After a few months I realised that I needed a proper drum roaster ... now your looking at $600 - $1,000 or more. At that point I retired the coffee roaster and went back to ready-roasted beans, that's when I discovered Zabars and I've bought from them ever since..
Old Jun 11th 2011, 10:02 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter
Um, how long have you been away?

I tried a Cafe Nero in Winchester. Bad plan. It tasted like burnt ditchwater.

For good coffee in the U.S., go to Portland, Oregon. I don't think it's possible to get a bad cup there, they take it VERY seriously.

http://www.stumptowncoffee.com/

Of course this is less than practical for those not living there.
You'd hate MA then, where there's a Dunkin D on every street corner, perhaps even more
Old Jun 12th 2011, 12:24 am
Yeah that guy.

Captain Cheesestick has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Cheesestick has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Cheesestick has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Cheesestick has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Cheesestick has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Cheesestick has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Cheesestick has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Cheesestick has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Cheesestick has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Cheesestick has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Cheesestick has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
You'd hate MA then, where there's a Dunkin D on every street corner, perhaps even more
At my last real place of employment you could get free Green Mountain coffee all day long in multiple falvors - and yet still the locals would insist on going out to Dunkin Donuts several times a day for the mixture of earwax and rotted raccoon semen they call coffee.
Old Jun 12th 2011, 9:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

joto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Herpes Simplex
At my last real place of employment you could get free Green Mountain coffee all day long in multiple falvors - and yet still the locals would insist on going out to Dunkin Donuts several times a day for the mixture of earwax and rotted raccoon semen they call coffee.
I'm sure it really wasn't just for the coffee. They just had to have a reason to have some time out of there.
Old Jun 13th 2011, 6:56 pm
Daft.. not Stoopid

lyonsden1193 has much to be proud oflyonsden1193 has much to be proud oflyonsden1193 has much to be proud oflyonsden1193 has much to be proud oflyonsden1193 has much to be proud oflyonsden1193 has much to be proud oflyonsden1193 has much to be proud oflyonsden1193 has much to be proud oflyonsden1193 has much to be proud oflyonsden1193 has much to be proud oflyonsden1193 has much to be proud of

sorry to tell you that it isnt rotted raccoon semen. the raccoons have free range of the dumpsters for their efforts.
Old Jun 16th 2011, 4:02 pm
Banned

Ant Farm is an unknown quantity at this point

Can anyone recommend some really tasty ground coffee? I've tried a bunch and quite a lot of them are sour and nasty. And considering people round here think that Dunkin Donuts makes nice coffee leads me to seek outside advice.

And nothing stupidly expensive, or something that has been crapped through an animal first please.
I only read the first page of responses and some of the initial suggestions given are quite frankly ridiculous. The best beans in the world are from the fog shrouded Blue Mountains in Jamaica and from the volcanic hillside near Kona Hawaii. I go back and fourth over which is the best but i'm drinking Blue Mountain this morning. In 2004 and 5 Kona was the best, but since then the Blue Mountain crop has been superior. Warning, don't buy the Kona Blends, it has to be 100% Kona coffee. I buy them both online and yes it's very expensive (around $40/10Lbs) but if you drink it every morning, it's worth it.
Old Jun 16th 2011, 4:27 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ant Farm
I only read the first page of responses and some of the initial suggestions given are quite frankly ridiculous. The best beans in the world are from the fog shrouded Blue Mountains in Jamaica and from the volcanic hillside near Kona Hawaii. I go back and fourth over which is the best but i'm drinking Blue Mountain this morning. In 2004 and 5 Kona was the best, but since then the Blue Mountain crop has been superior. Warning, don't buy the Kona Blends, it has to be 100% Kona coffee. I buy them both online and yes it's very expensive (around $40/10Lbs) but if you drink it every morning, it's worth it.
But would you agree that there is some interesting and drinkable coffee between Jamaican Blue Mountain (priced between $40 and $50 a pound) and Folgers from the supermarket? That is what some posters were getting at..
Old Jun 16th 2011, 4:32 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by robin1234
But would you agree that there is some interesting and drinkable coffee between Jamaican Blue Mountain (priced between $40 and $50 a pound) and Folgers from the supermarket? That is what some posters were getting at..
I've been called a coffee snob, but in my opinion putting flavors in coffee is like putting flavors in beer or on tobacco. Its an abomination.
Old Jun 16th 2011, 5:10 pm
Heading for Poppyland

Originally Posted by Ant Farm
I've been called a coffee snob, but in my opinion putting flavors in coffee is like putting flavors in beer or on tobacco. Its an abomination.
I agree with you there, but I think most posters were talking about coffee choices, and choices of methods to make the coffee .. very little mention (if any) of flavoured coffee..
Old Jun 16th 2011, 5:15 pm
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

Old Jun 16th 2011, 5:30 pm
Banned

I agree with you there, but I think most posters were talking about coffee choices, and choices of methods to make the coffee .. very little mention (if any) of flavoured coffee..
Oh

Maybe I should have read the entire thread
Old Jun 16th 2011, 7:11 pm
Sleepless In Chicago

MrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to behold

40 dollars for ten pounds not a pound. then again, online it's $150 for a 3lb bag. What a load fo shit.

I really doubt it's 'the best', how do you rate, 'the best', it can be really really really good but not, 'the best', that's only opinion. I think the french press makes 'the best' cup of regular coffee but it's only because I've not tried every other way of making it.

Last edited by MrEmjoy; Jun 16th 2011 at 7:14 pm.
Old Jun 16th 2011, 7:22 pm
Heading for Poppyland

Originally Posted by MrEmjoy
40 dollars for ten pounds not a pound. then again, online it's $150 for a 3lb bag. What a load fo shit.

I really doubt it's 'the best', how do you rate, 'the best', it can be really really really good but not, 'the best', that's only opinion. I think the french press makes 'the best' cup of regular coffee but it's only because I've not tried every other way of making it.
Well I assumed that the "10 lbs" was a typo so I didn't comment on it.
Old Jun 16th 2011, 11:16 pm
Banned

Thats was a typo

I just told my daughter I want this for Fathers Day.
http://catalog.huladaddy.com/category-s/57.htm

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.