Coffee

Old Jun 10th 2011, 1:50 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Coffee

I've probably been through Vernon, NY.. our daughter went to SUNY Cortland for her undergrad, the cross-country route from here to there goes through Rome & Morrisville.
Old Jun 10th 2011, 2:24 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Post Re: Coffee

The only coffee I like is Nescafe Gold Blend (freeze dried) which isn't sold in the US.

My spouse (who never drinks tea or coffee) gave me a gift of a Nespresso coffee maker to make espressos, cappucinnos and lattes...you have to buy little 'pots' to put in it and they have a guide book with all the different flavours and strenghts of their various coffees.

I've rarely used the bloody thing. Give me a decent cup of tea anytime (and I'm not talking about that horrible Liptons stuff either, or ice tea!). However, it's really hard to get a decent cuppa in the US unless you're at the home of another Brit or an Aussie
Old Jun 10th 2011, 3:04 pm
Yeah that guy.

Captain Cheesestick has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Cheesestick has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Cheesestick has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Cheesestick has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Cheesestick has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Cheesestick has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Cheesestick has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Cheesestick has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Cheesestick has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Cheesestick has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Cheesestick has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by robin1234
I've probably been through Vernon, NY...
You'd remember the smell. The marriage of horses from the racetrack and rotting sour cream from the Hood plant is rather unique.
Old Jun 10th 2011, 4:25 pm
Daft.. not Stoopid

lyonsden1193 has much to be proud oflyonsden1193 has much to be proud oflyonsden1193 has much to be proud oflyonsden1193 has much to be proud oflyonsden1193 has much to be proud oflyonsden1193 has much to be proud oflyonsden1193 has much to be proud oflyonsden1193 has much to be proud oflyonsden1193 has much to be proud oflyonsden1193 has much to be proud oflyonsden1193 has much to be proud of

I'm with the bouncing sheep.. Ikea sell some swedish stuff in the stores ... not half bad... eight o clock isnt bad on most occasions, but you can get a bad batch every now and then. If you go back to blighty it has now been overrun with COSTAS... ... never a more apt name! Cost us ... and its c@#p!!
Old Jun 10th 2011, 5:30 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lyonsden1193
I'm with the bouncing sheep.. Ikea sell some swedish stuff in the stores ... not half bad... eight o clock isnt bad on most occasions, but you can get a bad batch every now and then. If you go back to blighty it has now been overrun with COSTAS... ... never a more apt name! Cost us ... and its c@#p!!
In the UK supermarkets have fewer choices of coffee on the shelf, but a much higher proportion of good-quality coffee, in my experience. I've noticed Costa everywhere but never been in one. I was looking for a Lyons teashop but couldn't seem to find one? Or an Aërated Bread Company teashop?
Old Jun 11th 2011, 3:07 am
BE Forum Addict

ottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Englishmum
The only coffee I like is Nescafe Gold Blend (freeze dried) which isn't sold in the US.

My spouse (who never drinks tea or coffee) gave me a gift of a Nespresso coffee maker to make espressos, cappucinnos and lattes...you have to buy little 'pots' to put in it and they have a guide book with all the different flavours and strenghts of their various coffees.

I've rarely used the bloody thing. Give me a decent cup of tea anytime (and I'm not talking about that horrible Liptons stuff either, or ice tea!). However, it's really hard to get a decent cuppa in the US unless you're at the home of another Brit or an Aussie
My first choice is Nescafe Blend 37 like Gold Blend not sold in the USA, we get it from British Supermarket online. We tried various contraptions but still prefer two 20oz cups of Blend 37 in the morning
Old Jun 11th 2011, 5:29 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

One word: Illy.
Old Jun 11th 2011, 12:35 pm
Heading for Poppyland

Originally Posted by Giantaxe
Nice! I definitely have space on my counter-top for one of these. When is Father's Day??
Old Jun 11th 2011, 12:35 pm
Unmitigated Gall

another bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond repute

Chock full o' nuts still comes in a metal can. I like that.
Old Jun 11th 2011, 1:00 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

I was looking for a Lyons teashop but couldn't seem to find one? Or an Aërated Bread Company teashop?

Um, how long have you been away?

I tried a Cafe Nero in Winchester. Bad plan. It tasted like burnt ditchwater.

For good coffee in the U.S., go to Portland, Oregon. I don't think it's possible to get a bad cup there, they take it VERY seriously.

http://www.stumptowncoffee.com/

Of course this is less than practical for those not living there.
Old Jun 11th 2011, 1:41 pm
Heading for Poppyland

Originally Posted by another bloody yank
Chock full o' nuts still comes in a metal can. I like that.
Those cans are good for storage of hardware etc. Back in the days when all supermarket coffee came in cans, we had hundreds of them. And in England, the coffee came in half pound cans, even better for nails, screws etc. than a one pound can.
Old Jun 11th 2011, 2:06 pm
Unmitigated Gall

another bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond repute

Those cans are good for storage of hardware etc. Back in the days when all supermarket coffee came in cans, we had hundreds of them. And in England, the coffee came in half pound cans, even better for nails, screws etc. than a one pound can.

That's what I use them for, along with many other things.
I had a bunch stored up, tossed them when we moved. I'm building up my collection again...

Chock full o' nuts also comes in smaller cans, but my consumption is such that buying the smaller cans doesn't make good fiscal sense.

The only thing I've found the plastic type cans that Folger's and the others use useful for is for storage and dispensing of string. Punch a hole just slightly larger than the diameter of the string in the side of the can. Put the ball of string in the can and pull the end of it through the hole. Cut off what you need, but leave the end hanging out.
Old Jun 11th 2011, 7:42 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Giantaxe
Word.
Old Jun 11th 2011, 7:43 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter
For good coffee in the U.S., go to Portland, Oregon. I don't think it's possible to get a bad cup there, they take it VERY seriously.

http://www.stumptowncoffee.com/

Of course this is less than practical for those not living there.
Word Word.
(wait, that contradicts my last post, doesn't it? )
Old Jun 11th 2011, 9:28 pm
Just Joined

dyqik is an unknown quantity at this point

I bought a Black and Decker filter machine from Target earlier - the one with a Thermos style carafe. It seems to work, and make a decent cup of coffee, and keeps it warm for a couple of hours without making it taste foul from heating it.

At least it'll do until my Gaggia Classic espresso machine arrives with my stuff (£30 from Ebay 3 years ago...) and I can rewire it for 110V. Then I just need to find a grinder and the right kind of popcorn maker for roasting beans (or spend some money on a proper roaster).

Sweet Maria's is my main source for information on roasting and beans, and I guess they might be my main source for beans now I'm in the US.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.