Coffee

Old Jun 9th 2011, 7:33 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Coffee

Originally Posted by MrEmjoy
You can get an O.K cup-o-joe with cheap beans. Its more to do with the method. French presses call for a fairly coarse ground and good timing but it's not complicated.

My method at the moment using a regular blade grinder involves the following:

Boil kettle, when it clicks off start a two minute timer, grind the beans, how long they grind depends on the size of the bean, normally about 15 short jabs of the grind button with the present Ruta Maya Mexican coffee. When the two minute timer is up I add the water, its just below boiling point, stir until you get the 'brown cream' on the top of the beans and then set a 3 minute timer, stir half way through if I've not been rugby tackled by the little one then stir again when the 3 minutes are up, then slowly push down.

Zing.

If I had my way I'd have burr grinder rather than the current blade grinder, burr grinders give you less powder, also, one of the french presses I have has a few extra doo-dads that stop most of the sediment getting in.

This one

It really doesn't take long to get it, and once you do most other coffee with the exception of one from a good espresso machine taste like shit. Drip machines take a lot of cleaning to keep a good consistent taste. I think the last one we had got us slowly used to coffee that tasted worse each time we used it as it was so damn hard to clean the reservoir properly, the french press is a quick rinse and its done and even the cheap ones are good.
Yes, my main problem with the French Press is the inevitable sediment. I've never owned a burr grinder but I would imagine that (compared with my cheapo blade grinder) the burr grinder would partially eliminate the sediment. But again, using a paper filter totally eliminates even the finest sediment.
Old Jun 9th 2011, 7:58 pm
Sleepless In Chicago

MrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to behold

How do you use a paper filter in a french press? I've poured coffee from a french press through a filter into a travel mug before, is that how?
Old Jun 9th 2011, 8:05 pm
Senior Moment

Sarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by robin1234
Yes, the water in a drip machine is not hot enough.. however you can manually pour boiling water straight from your electric kettle through a filter cone/paper filter. I have several such plastic filter cones (some Mr. Coffee style, some Melitta style) that I've saved from defunct drip machines.

As someone mentioned earlier, another totally different way of making good coffee is using a stovetop macchinetta (Bialetti or similar.) This makes a superb satisfying cup of coffee. But, as someone mentioned, beware of potentially fatal accidents.
Yeah they're very good especially if you just want the one cup of coffee.
I quite like the stove top machines, I miss having a gas stove to put them on.
Old Jun 9th 2011, 8:06 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MrEmjoy
How do you use a paper filter in a french press? I've poured coffee from a french press through a filter into a travel mug before, is that how?
Yes, sorry I wasn't clear. I was contrasting a French Press (hard to eliminate at least some sediment) with making coffee using filter cone and paper filter, which eliminates sediment. I take your point though, that some French Presses are better at eliminating sediment than others..
Old Jun 9th 2011, 8:08 pm
Sleepless In Chicago

MrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to behold

Yes, sorry I wasn't clear. I was contrasting a French Press (hard to eliminate at least some sediment) with making coffee using filter cone and paper filter, which eliminates sediment. I take your point though, that some French Presses are better at eliminating sediment than others..
I've been thinking of trying to put a filter over the grounds just before pushing the press down but keep forgetting to try it!
Old Jun 9th 2011, 8:09 pm
Senior Moment

Sarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, my main problem with the French Press is the inevitable sediment. I've never owned a burr grinder but I would imagine that (compared with my cheapo blade grinder) the burr grinder would partially eliminate the sediment. But again, using a paper filter totally eliminates even the finest sediment.
If you're getting sediment in your cup of coffee from your french press its time to replace the filter, as that shouldn't happen (unless you're draining the dregs of liquid from an almost empty pot) you should be able to get a replacement in a decent kitchen shop or online, if you know the cup size of your press.
Ahh the fruits of having spent my university years working in a kitchen shop. I think I have more knowledge about pans, juicers and knives than I do about my degree subject.
Old Jun 9th 2011, 8:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

Bomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond repute

Being from that area, and knowing my folks can't make a decent cuppa either, and God knows I've tried - it may be your water.

Well water out there is too hard. Do you have a well or city water?

That said, sometime mail order is your best bet. We love Katz coffee, which is to be had down here Texas way. Whilst in upstate, I buy Green Mountain.

Also, learn about beans. Only accept 100% Arabica, the oils tend to cause less tummy upset. Robusta beans are the cheap grade beans; you'll find that in Folgers and anything bulk sized and in a can. Kona beans are different from Jamaican and from African from Brasilian. I found out long ago that Konas rarely upset my stomach, but anything from South America does.

Yes, its about terroir.

Last edited by Bomjeito; Jun 9th 2011 at 8:33 pm.
Old Jun 9th 2011, 11:09 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sarah
Yeah they're very good especially if you just want the one cup of coffee.
I quite like the stove top machines, I miss having a gas stove to put them on.
They still work on an electric hob...
Old Jun 10th 2011, 12:45 am
Senior Moment

Originally Posted by Bob
They still work on an electric hob...
Yeah I know, but for some reason I like cooking with gas better
Old Jun 10th 2011, 1:11 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah I know, but for some reason I like cooking with gas better
yeah, same here...but can ya get gas here, nope, plus we're renting
Old Jun 10th 2011, 2:54 am
Senior Moment

Originally Posted by Bob
yeah, same here...but can ya get gas here, nope, plus we're renting
Gas stoves are awesome! Halogen hobs are pants
Old Jun 10th 2011, 12:50 pm
Heading for Poppyland

Gas stoves are awesome! Halogen hobs are pants
I agree, would much rather have gas. We live out in the country, and only have electricity. We did talk about getting a propane set-up in our house, which would give us a gas stove AND gas hot water heater (much cheaper to run than electricity.) But, when we bought the house 15 years ago, we bought a new electric stove which is still (unfortunately) running fine, so no compelling incentive to invest in the propane.
Old Jun 10th 2011, 1:11 pm
Yeah that guy.

Captain Cheesestick has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Cheesestick has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Cheesestick has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Cheesestick has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Cheesestick has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Cheesestick has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Cheesestick has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Cheesestick has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Cheesestick has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Cheesestick has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Cheesestick has a reputation beyond repute

I agree, would much rather have gas. We live out in the country, and only have electricity. We did talk about getting a propane set-up in our house, which would give us a gas stove AND gas hot water heater (much cheaper to run than electricity.) But, when we bought the house 15 years ago, we bought a new electric stove which is still (unfortunately) running fine, so no compelling incentive to invest in the propane.
So break the stove. It's so simple and yet so genius.

Northern NY eh? Are we talking Massena? Watertown? Potsdam?
Old Jun 10th 2011, 1:34 pm
Heading for Poppyland

Originally Posted by Herpes Simplex
So break the stove. It's so simple and yet so genius.

Northern NY eh? Are we talking Massena? Watertown? Potsdam?
Out in the sticks, 7 miles from Canton, 16 miles from Potsdam.
Old Jun 10th 2011, 1:47 pm
Yeah that guy.

Captain Cheesestick has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Cheesestick has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Cheesestick has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Cheesestick has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Cheesestick has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Cheesestick has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Cheesestick has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Cheesestick has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Cheesestick has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Cheesestick has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Cheesestick has a reputation beyond repute

Out in the sticks, 7 miles from Canton, 16 miles from Potsdam.
Nice place up there. My family live in Old Forge and Tupper Lake.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.