Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Class 2 NI. What about us poor expats paying voluntary contributions?

Class 2 NI. What about us poor expats paying voluntary contributions?

Old Nov 16th 2023, 6:04 am
Forum Regular

ckusa is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Class 2 NI. What about us poor expats paying voluntary contributions?

My wife and I called them the other day - I had a query about some years incorrectly showing as not counting (that was an error on their system), and my wife was querying a former query (totally wrong calculations of contributions). For the latter the agent said the response time was probably in excess of one year - but it was in the queue. Thankfully they have a few years to sort it out!
Old Nov 22nd 2023, 12:29 pm
Forum Regular

EdgeAA has a reputation beyond reputeEdgeAA has a reputation beyond reputeEdgeAA has a reputation beyond reputeEdgeAA has a reputation beyond reputeEdgeAA has a reputation beyond reputeEdgeAA has a reputation beyond reputeEdgeAA has a reputation beyond reputeEdgeAA has a reputation beyond reputeEdgeAA has a reputation beyond reputeEdgeAA has a reputation beyond reputeEdgeAA has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Class 2 NI. What about us poor expats paying voluntary contributions?

Well it looks like they’re abolishing Class 2 NI again. Just read it on the BBC website.
Old Nov 22nd 2023, 12:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

tdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond repute

"We are abolishing Class 2 National Insurance altogether ...," Hunt says.

Does this mean everyone paying voluntary Class 2 now has to pay the higher Class 3 from 2024/25? I think we need to wait until the detailed notes accompanying the Autumn Statement are released; hopefully this will happen soon.
Old Nov 22nd 2023, 1:16 pm
Furby

Glasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond repute

Depends upon whether they are abolishing Class 2 for the self employed as he stated, or if they are abolishing Class 2 altogether. Could be the same thing or not. Meaning that the self employed are no longer mandated to pay Class 2 but voluntary payments can still be made, or Class 2 no longer exists and therefore voluntary Class 2’s are gone as well. The latter did not go as planned when they tried this some years back and they had to back track, so you would hope it is better thought through this time. But it’s the government so probably not. Anyway, we will all have to wait and see. It is what it is. Class 3 is still a good deal but not the outstanding deal that Class 2 is. Even more important to back fill as many years as possible, I think the option to backfill 2006 to 2016 for those who qualify is now open until 2025, extended from the deadline in April of this year

On a positive note, the 8.5% pension increase is pretty nice on top of last years large increase of more than 10%.

Last edited by Glasgow Girl; Nov 22nd 2023 at 1:22 pm.
Old Nov 22nd 2023, 1:46 pm
Just Joined

WalesToUSA has much to be proud ofWalesToUSA has much to be proud ofWalesToUSA has much to be proud ofWalesToUSA has much to be proud ofWalesToUSA has much to be proud ofWalesToUSA has much to be proud ofWalesToUSA has much to be proud ofWalesToUSA has much to be proud ofWalesToUSA has much to be proud ofWalesToUSA has much to be proud ofWalesToUSA has much to be proud of

The accompanying information to the Autumn Statement notes:

From 6 April 2024, self-employed people with profits above £12,570 will no longer be required to pay Class 2 NICs, but will continue to receive access to contributory benefits including the State Pension.

Those with profits under £6,725 and others who pay Class 2 NICs voluntarily to get access to contributory benefits including the State Pension, will continue to be able to do so. The weekly rate they pay will be frozen at £3.45 for 2024-25, rather than rising by CPI to £3.70.
Old Nov 22nd 2023, 2:38 pm
Forum Regular

stephend- is just really nicestephend- is just really nicestephend- is just really nicestephend- is just really nicestephend- is just really nicestephend- is just really nicestephend- is just really nicestephend- is just really nicestephend- is just really nicestephend- is just really nicestephend- is just really nice

I was just wondering what that might mean for us - thanks for the post!
Old Dec 12th 2023, 2:29 am
Forum Regular

stephend- is just really nicestephend- is just really nicestephend- is just really nicestephend- is just really nicestephend- is just really nicestephend- is just really nicestephend- is just really nicestephend- is just really nicestephend- is just really nicestephend- is just really nicestephend- is just really nice

I just received my letter from HMRC approving Class 2 NICs.

My application was received by HMRC on 10-May-23, and the approval letter was dated 09-Nov-23 so a quicker turnaround than I was expecting - almost 6 months to-the-day. Took nearly a month to work its way through the postal system though. As direct Debit mandates expire 6 months after you sign them they said for the most part they can't set them up even if you requested it as it is taking longer than 6 months to receive and process the forms. But you can pay online as detailed here: https://www.gov.uk/pay-class-2-national-insurance
Old Dec 13th 2023, 1:43 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by WalesToUSA
.... and others who pay Class 2 NICs voluntarily to get access to contributory benefits including the State Pension, will continue to be able to do so. The weekly rate they pay will be frozen at £3.45 for 2024-25, rather than rising by CPI to £3.70.
Wow! A discount on those pricy Class 2 contributions!
Old Dec 14th 2023, 4:47 pm
Forum Regular

00derek is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by stephend-
I just received my letter from HMRC approving Class 2 NICs.

My application was received by HMRC on 10-May-23, and the approval letter was dated 09-Nov-23 so a quicker turnaround than I was expecting - almost 6 months to-the-day. Took nearly a month to work its way through the postal system though. As direct Debit mandates expire 6 months after you sign them they said for the most part they can't set them up even if you requested it as it is taking longer than 6 months to receive and process the forms. But you can pay online as detailed here: https://www.gov.uk/pay-class-2-national-insurance
Was your application on form CF83?
Website says my application was received 10 AUG 2023, and I can expect a reply by 13 JUNE 2024.
Feels like the process is getting quicker compared with the last 12-24 months....Will update if that changes.
Old Dec 24th 2023, 11:40 pm
LT1
Forum Regular

LT1 has a reputation beyond reputeLT1 has a reputation beyond reputeLT1 has a reputation beyond reputeLT1 has a reputation beyond reputeLT1 has a reputation beyond reputeLT1 has a reputation beyond reputeLT1 has a reputation beyond reputeLT1 has a reputation beyond reputeLT1 has a reputation beyond reputeLT1 has a reputation beyond reputeLT1 has a reputation beyond repute

Interesting update in the online HMRC NI portal:

You can soon check if you can make voluntary National Insurance contributions, and pay using the online service

You will soon be able to use your Personal Tax account to check if you can make voluntary National Insurance contributions. You will also be able to approve a payment through your online bank account using the online service.

Old Dec 25th 2023, 12:56 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

morpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by LT1
Interesting update in the online HMRC NI portal:

You can soon check if you can make voluntary National Insurance contributions, and pay using the online service

You will soon be able to use your Personal Tax account to check if you can make voluntary National Insurance contributions. You will also be able to approve a payment through your online bank account using the online service.
Interesting. for years I could check my NIC payments on line, and paid visa standing order or one time payment through my bank account.
Old Jan 2nd 2024, 3:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

Derrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond repute

I have a question regarding the UK state pension. I have lived in the US for well over half my life (I am 70 and claiming social security here). I didn't work in the UK for very long at all. I worked for 5 years full time until I had my children - then I was a stay at home mum for many years. When my children were older I worked part time for a few years. Then I moved to the US. I didn't bother contributing to my UK state pension all the time I lived here (I guess I should have). My husband (we have since divorced) contributed to his UK pension and apparently now collects it. I don't believe that I am entitled to anything from the UK and don't expect anything. However I was talking to my sister on the phone yesterday and she said that although you need 10 years work to get "a small pension" (not sure what she means by that) the government has a thing called Home Responsibilites Protection - she said all the years I was living in England and taking care of my children is taken into account. Has anyone ever heard of such a thing??????????????? My sister said I should apply, but to be honest, I don't feel comfortable doing that. I don't think I am entitled to anything and shouldn't get anything. As I said - most of my working life was here in the US. Thoughts anyone?
Old Jan 2nd 2024, 3:53 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute

This link might help you decide
https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/re...pension-boost/
Old Jan 2nd 2024, 4:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

Derrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mrken30
Thank you!
Old Jan 2nd 2024, 4:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

tdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Derrygal
she said that although you need 10 years work to get "a small pension" (not sure what she means by that)
It means you get a pro-rated pension, so if you have 10 years' contributions out of the 35 required for a full new state pension, you get 10/35ths of the full pension amount.

You might have 2 credited years if you were at school for 6th form. The part-time working years may also count, and you may be due some credits for your child care years. The best option is to make a note of the dates you were at school, worked, were a stay at home mum, etc., read the guidance in the MSE link mrken30 provided to work out what credits or anything else you might be entitled to, and contact the Pension Service. Patience will probably be required, as getting a response could be slow but it'll be worth it if you are due a pension.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.