Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Cities in America that make you feel at home?

Cities in America that make you feel at home?

Old Jan 30th 2013, 4:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Cities in America that make you feel at home?

Originally Posted by kodokan
I'm in Phoenix - the dull desert-and-cactus bit that fatbrit pictured earlier in the thread. The bit I live in (Mesa) is renowned for being very religious and conservative: it's a heavily Mormon-populated area, and it seemed like 9 out of 10 houses had a Romney-Ryan placard on the front lawn last November. One of my pre-move worries was fitting in socially: I don't go to any church let alone a Mormon one, and whilst I'm no keener than the next person on being heavily taxed and given away to the very poor/non-working, I don't actually want them to suffer and die, and am bewildered by the vitriol against Obamacare.
Yeah it's completely idiotic given that they usually don't even understand the provisions of Obamacare. It's actually pretty close to what Mitt Romney introduced as Governor of MA.

And then there are the idiots who seem to think that the 2nd Amendment means that they have the right to own any weapons available on the planet without restriction. Is it OK to own ground-to-air missiles, helicopter gunships, torpedoes, nuclear weapons and other weapons of mass destruction?

As for the OP asking for cities that make you feel at home, that's very subjective. It's like asking what is the best city to live in. It depends on a lot of different factors. You'll find any number of people for and against any particular city. Even within a city there are different neighborhoods. Even there different people will like or dislike. As someone else said, for the most part you make yourself feel at home.

Last edited by MarylandNed; Jan 30th 2013 at 4:31 pm.
Old Jan 30th 2013, 6:01 pm
Banned

Dirty Dog is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Libby75
Very interested in answers to this question.

I know there are areas of the US that are very friendly and welcoming and have a culture of community and good neighbours.

The UK is very different to this, at least in my experience. Although people are kind and lovely, they keep themselves to themselves and are almost fearful of making any form of contact. I find this very sad (we only have one life) and rather dull.
"almost fearful of making any form of contact"

Agreed...Although a bit apprehensive, I'm looking forward to experiencing the friendly, engaging, outgoing and honest American culture (Chicago). Anyone have any thoughts on the North side of Chicago?
Old Jan 30th 2013, 6:06 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Englishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MarylandNed
<snip>

And then there are the idiots who seem to think that the 2nd Amendment means that they have the right to own any weapons available on the planet without restriction. Is it OK to own ground-to-air missiles, helicopter gunships, torpedoes, nuclear weapons and other weapons of mass destruction?
Oh don't start that again!!!!
Old Jan 30th 2013, 6:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

MMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MarylandNed
As for the OP asking for cities that make you feel at home, that's very subjective. It's like asking what is the best city to live in. It depends on a lot of different factors. You'll find any number of people for and against any particular city. Even within a city there are different neighborhoods.
As someone else said, for the most part you make yourself feel at home.
Agreed!
IMHO - for this thread to have useful, meaningful relevance and not just be a string of banal generalizations - shouldn't people disclose a few relevant facts about their individual circumstances?
For example, a single, unmarried, unemployed mother in her 20s or 30s will more than likely experience an entirely different interaction with any given community than - lets say - a married couple in their 50s with no kids at home who both work 9-5. That couples interaction with and need for neighbors will be markedly different from that of the single mom. Hence their description of their community will spring from an entirely different vantage point. The qualities of a community that make one "feel at home" are enmeshed in an amalgem of indivdual psyche and objective personal circumstances, are they not?
Old Jan 30th 2013, 6:44 pm
Banned

No..I don't think so MMcD
Old Jan 30th 2013, 7:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

MMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dirty Dog
No..I don't think so MMcD
Really ? Really?

But then wouldn't the same place make us ALL "feel at home (or not) ALWAYS - no matter our circumstances?
Well - I know that's not true:
The place I loved most - where I felt not only "at home" but deeply, organically, intrinsically tied to in a quite profound way - suddenly - when there was an abrupt and seismic change in my own personal circumstances - it was no longer a place where I felt "at home".
It didn't change. I did.
Old Jan 30th 2013, 7:06 pm
Banned

I disagree
Old Jan 30th 2013, 7:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

I disagree
ok
You're in America
That's allowed.
....and you can even disagree with that
Old Jan 30th 2013, 7:25 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Surely the whole thread idea is purely subjective. A Mormon might feel at home in Salt Lake City, a big city person in New York and a plastic twonk in LA.
Old Jan 30th 2013, 7:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
Surely the whole thread idea is purely subjective. A Mormon might feel at home in Salt Lake City, a big city person in New York and a plastic twonk in LA.
My point is that knowing it's the opinion of "a (self-described) plastic twonk in LA" would give the thread relevance.
Old Jan 30th 2013, 7:38 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MMcD
My point is that knowing it's the opinion of "a (self-described) plastic twonk in LA" would give the thread relevance.
I was agreeing with you.
Old Jan 30th 2013, 7:47 pm
Banned

Before being relegated to Mr Mom status in my family I traveled extensively, and if there is one thing I learned, I learned that people are people, no matter where they are.
Old Jan 30th 2013, 7:50 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Before being relegated to Mr Mom status in my family I traveled extensively, and if there is one thing I learned, I learned that people are people, no matter where they are.
So everyone feels at home everywhere. Great. Next thread.
Old Jan 30th 2013, 7:54 pm
Banned

So everyone feels at home everywhere. Great. Next thread.
Nothing more need be said here
Old Jan 30th 2013, 9:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

I was agreeing with you.
You were?
Oh
?¿?
!¡¡¡!!! turvy topsy

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.