Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Cities in America that make you feel at home?

Wikiposts

Cities in America that make you feel at home?

Old Jan 28th 2013, 6:22 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Cities in America that make you feel at home?

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...6#post10471436

Thread I started a while back about fun and interesting cities. Has a good list of places to gander through.

Though to answer the question in the thread title, I'd say none.

That's not to say there aren't loads of fab places, some great to live in and great places to be at, but that wasn't what you asked.
Old Jan 28th 2013, 8:50 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
It seems that many of the people who live in my town were born and bred here...or the immediate area. Lots of old money.
We have the Kardashians, Britney Spears and Justin Bieber.
Old Jan 28th 2013, 1:11 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MMcD
Perhaps you should investigate East Anglia? I mean - why move that vast distance to far-off eastern Ky. when (in comparison) East Anglia is practically at your doorstep? At a minimum - it seems a far more realistic option for you. All the seemingly insurmountable hurdles discussed in the 2 threads you've opened today would be averted.

To be fair....I'm being slightly tongue-in-cheek - and know you'll dismiss the East Anglia idea out-of-hand. But it's no more absurd than harboring the foolish notion that there are "warm and welcoming communities" in America. That's a "Leave It To Beaver" myth rooted in 50's TV romanticism. Broad brush generalities are so banal - but if you insist - then I'll label America a success driven culture with little time for or interest in "neighborliness". Yes, there is a tradition of Volunteerism with an implied concern for the other - and 'tho real - the "concern" shouldn't be mistaken for the welcoming embrace of true friendship - which you crave.
Since you've quoted me, I guess this response is for me. I notice that you deliberately failed to include my opening comment... the bit about it being my experience. <<<snip>>>

Ian

Last edited by Jerseygirl; Jan 28th 2013 at 11:51 pm. Reason: insulting comment removed
Old Jan 28th 2013, 2:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

MMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
Since you've quoted me, I guess this response is for me. I notice that you deliberately failed to include my opening comment... the bit about it being my experience. <<<snip>>> Ian
I'm so aghast by your message....that I'm not even going to take the time to scroll back to see what you feel I've done wrong. The important thing is that you feel wronged. And that's awful!
I can only say anything which looks to you to be inappropriate - was certainly not done intentionally. If I've caused you any offense it was equally unintentional. No one should ever be mis-quoted! Never! I'd be equally offended if it happened to me. If you wish - just let me know and I'll happily delete the entire post - because it's not worth this misunderstanding nor is it worth upsetting someone who is a valuable contributor to this forum.

Last edited by Jerseygirl; Jan 28th 2013 at 11:51 pm. Reason: quote edited
Old Jan 28th 2013, 2:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

MMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond repute

OMG.....I just scrolled back - Ian....I think () this is a dreadful misunderstanding....and NO!....my post (to which you were responding) was directed to someone who kept referring to your description of your community in Kentucky........I just think trying to explain will only confuse you further.....but perhaps it'll help if you go back and look at my post. You'll see that after sending it - I realized I'd posted it to the wrong thread.....and requested the Moderators move it if they wished (tho now that I know you are offended - that might only compound the disaster

I'll do whatever you like.
PS: This is the thread to which I meant to send my post:
Investment and new life move from UK to US
I was responding to the OP of that thread - who was, in turn, referring to what you'd written in this one.

Have I clarified anything....or just compounded the misunderstanding?

Last edited by MMcD; Jan 28th 2013 at 2:33 pm. Reason: added PS
Old Jan 28th 2013, 2:27 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Just a misunderstanding between the two threads I think.
Old Jan 28th 2013, 2:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

Thank you Sally.
It is - but I don't want Ian to be upset.....
Old Jan 28th 2013, 8:39 pm
Forum Regular

snufkinette is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by stuexeter
Interesting. I always imagine desert when I think of Arizona. In fact, I saw a film not too long ago set in Arizona (Phoenix, maybe, although I can't remember) and was actually surprised to see leafy suburbs!

Anyway, I'm from Georgia, so therefore very comfortable around lots of trees. Would be nice to see features like the Granite Dells, though. We hope to make it out west one day, especially to see places like the Grand Canyon.
^^ This was meant to be posted by me as follow-up to the previous post. Oh, dear, when will my husband and I learn to check we're not posting using each others' logins!

Thanks for the info, fatbrit.
Old Jan 28th 2013, 8:52 pm
Forum Regular

Libby75 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by HumphreyC
It's probably another of those things that vary massively depending on where you live. Round here there is something of a 'blitz spirit'. So for instance I have lived in this house for just over a year. Whenever there is a bad snowfall my neighbor gets his snowblower out and does my drive for me. The other day his kids came round and brought me a peach cobbler which they had cooked themselves. If they go away I look after their pets and vice versa. Speak to them once a week usually and we borrow each other stuff - we even borrowed his car the other day so we could get a massive christmas tree which wouldn't fit in our little Yaris.

Probably wouldn't be the same if I moved just a couple of blocks in the other direction - then I would probably be complaining about the neighbor's noise and worried about them stabbing one another.

My MIL on the other side of town lives in a more typical American suburb. She has the best neighbors - pretty much every time she has a crisis her immediate neighbor comes round and deals with it whether it be fixing her fridge or her garage door. There is a couple down the street that are always buying her presents - they even bought me a six pack of beer the other day and I don't even live there!!

Frankly living here makes me feel like a bad person because I do bugger all for my neighbors.
Thanks for this - personal experience info
Old Jan 28th 2013, 8:55 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Englishtart
After 26 yrs married to my US hubby and having lived in 5 US States so far. 10 yrs over two seperate tours in England. Both hubby and I would not hesitate in saying that England is where we felt more 'at home'!

We lived in the Oxfordshire, Buckinghamshire areas and loved it there (I grew up nr Manchester) All the friends we have here in the US are people we met through the Military, not one neighbor. We still keep in touch with at least 6 families in England, (12 yrs since we lived there) they were either neighbors or same school parents.

One of the biggest differences here from England is, you will not walk your kids to school and chat to other Mums at the school gate (not in many places anyway) Most kids get on buses to/from school, or are dropped off (from the car) at the school, in my experience, most neighbors get into their cars inside the garage to go to work/shopping etc and drive back into the garage when they return, so you are lucky to even get to say hi or wave to them.

Believe me, the grass is not always greener across (this) side of the pond!
Thanks for posting your personal experiences, the differences in communities, as expected, is vastly different, which was expected.
Old Jan 28th 2013, 8:57 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Poppy girl
Yes I have a wonderful social network and the folk in my area are very reseptive and go out of their way to help you, always an event or evening get together going on and I often laugh and tell them I was born a yank with a british accent
Sounds lovely
Old Jan 28th 2013, 9:02 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
In my experience, yes. The entire region has some of the friendliest people I've ever met. People are very polite and respectful here. I'm not sure if it's necessarily genuine, but it does seem to be deeply ingrained in the local culture. There is a culture of helping and of assisting that is quite refreshing compared to some of the larger regions in the US. Neighbors here are genuine neighbors... not just "hello" or "good day" when passing each other.

Ian
Love polite and respectful. And that neighbours are more than just "hello". Sounds like you were lucky and ended up in a great area.
Old Jan 28th 2013, 10:05 pm
Banned

UkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Libby75
Great post, thank you, just the type of info I'm looking for! Please keep posting if you think of anything else or other areas

A warm community can make a HUGE difference to life quality. I have no doubt this applies to everyone, but especially to me and my daughter who are suddenly left with very few true people in our lives.

How long have you lived in the US? Where? Are you happy there? Don't have to answer, I'm nosy, I know!
I have lived in America more years than I care to admit and have called home several states from the west to the east coast.When I was young and looking for excitement the California area was my favorite place.Of course that was in the late 1980's, and at a time when buying a home was far more reasonable in that state.Not the case now.I think picking a place depends on where you are in your life,your economics, and how far away you're willing to travel to the UK for visits,if that to, is important. The east coast has the upside of being only 7 hours travel time by flight.

Being a single mom, the questions you need to decide are related to which regions of America has the least affected economy? Although single now, does dating options matter to you in the future? Are you more comfortable in a potential relationship which is formed organically,ie meeting out and bout the town,a neighbor who is the fireman,ect? Or do you enjoy a place that has a real nite scene,pubs,night clubs, out door activities such as tennis clubs,hiking,walking trails ect.? I personally like meeting people via activities because it gives us a good starting point in sharing similar interest. You also need to go online and check to see which schools are highest rated in a particular city and/or state. There are websites which contain that information. So as you see there are many decisions to put at the top of your list but once you've done that then you can narrow the places on that list which offer the kind of lifestyle that suits you.

For example, the fact that I don't like extreme weather, which rules florida out for me.Plus imo florida doesn't have that community spirit, which I personally prefer.Others might disagree because florida might work for them. My favorite place on the east coast is North Carolina because the people there still have that "traditional southern hopitality" which is nice to see in the year 2013. People are friendly even toward strangers.Neighbors take the time to befriend a new person in the community.The British assent seem to drive people quite wild,and I mean that in a very good way. Children thrive in their respective schools.I really like how the educational sytems have smaller class sizes in the better rated schools at all grade levels. My favorite cities in North Carolina to live near or in are,Asheville,Raleigh,Durham, and smaller towns are Boone,Carey. I really enjoy the cities and towns in the moutains of North Carolina. Again,that is a personal preference. I'm very happy here.

But there are more progressive states that have friendly people. I would say Washington state would be at the top of the list for progressive thinking,excellent night life, beautiful scenery, quality health care and education.Far more expensive to live there but you get what you pay for, and you increase your travel time back to the UK by 5 additional hours. Not a big deal really depending on the person.If I were moving to the Seattle area I would live about 30 minutes away from Seattle to lower my cost and to have a slower and calmer lifestyle. Lots to consider but you have many options to pick from. Make a list of what you want to spend for rent/mortgage,and your other expenses then decide what other factors are most important to you. Also make a list of the things which are deal breakers, ie things you do or don't like, weather,type of culture,is diversity important,near a major airport,crime level,nite life,decent size british expat population, ect ect.
Old Jan 28th 2013, 10:20 pm
Forum Regular

snufkinette is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by UkWinds5353
My favorite place on the east coast is North Carolina because the people there still have that "traditional southern hopitality" which is nice to see in the year 2013. People are friendly even toward strangers.Neighbors take the time to befriend a new person in the community.The British assent seem to drive people quite wild,and I mean that in a very good way. Children thrive in their respective schools.I really like how the educational sytems have smaller class sizes in the better rated schools at all grade levels. My favorite cities in North Carolina to live near or in are,Asheville,Raleigh,Durham, and smaller towns are Boone,Carey. I really enjoy the cities and towns in the moutains of North Carolina. Again,that is a personal preference. I'm very happy here.
Ooh, I was excited to read this! The Triangle is exactly where we are moving this spring. I note you don't mention Chapel Hill, though, UKWinds. Can I ask your opinion of it? Just curious because we aren't sure which bit of the Triangle to settle in. Of course, we'll rent initially so that we can test the waters. Do you live in NC now?
Old Jan 28th 2013, 11:34 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing

It's worth it. About a 3 hour drive for me, add an hour for you I guess - but once you get well up towards Madison, the scenery gets more interesting than you'd ever see in IL.

The House on the Rock is cool though; we plan to go back in June when my parents are out as they liked it last time as well. I have some photos at home I can send/post of that and the caves.
Strange looking thing. Yeah, post some more pics. Probably better to wait until it's a bit warmer though, to go.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.