Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Cities in America that make you feel at home?

Wikiposts

Cities in America that make you feel at home?

Old Jan 31st 2013, 2:54 am
Forum Regular

snufkinette is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Cities in America that make you feel at home?

Originally Posted by UkWinds5353
I think you made a very good choice in picking the Triangle area.The locale to most everything can't be beat.You can get to Washington DC in 4 1/2 hours,Asheville in about 4 hours,NYC in 7 1/2 hours drive.Relatively close proximity to so many places yet having the luxury of living in a place that is calm & safe enough to raise children in a nurturing way but interesting in terms of the things to do for the whole family.

You will not struggle to find outdoor activities in North Carolina because this state is the essence of things to do in the outdoors. Boating on the many lakes,camping in some of the most breath taking forrest in the world.Some of the cleanest beaches in America.Hiking and walking trails in many locations. Prepare your stories of that big one that got away because fishing here is nothing short of incredible! One of the things I like about NC is the fact its a place where just about every budget level can still afford to buy a home. That would include 80K,100K,120K,180K which btw buys a very nice house.Spend 230K and the home has just about all the upgrades.And spend 300K and you are living in the lap of luxury.That type of home ownership can not be found in many places in America where people are friendly,crime is low and the place has a out-doorsy appeal.

The outer banks are not too far from my location and yes a stunning place to visit. Just another reason for out-doorsy people to appreciate north carolina. One thing that the Ralrigh,Durham area has "it all over" most of the cities in north carolina is the option of shopping.Prepare your self and your credit cards. Nordstroms happens to be a favorite of mine
You sure you don't work for the tourist board?

Seriously, though, yes, we are hoping that the area will prove more affordable than some of the others we were considering. We've never owned our own home, so hopefully that dream is within our grasp within the next few years!

Absolutely, we'd love to travel to the places you've mentioned and more. It's quite exciting to think that I'll be more towards the middle of the Eastern seaboard and therefore 'closer to everything'. Growing up in GA, my dad always took us either to FL or TN. Not that there is anything wrong with either of those places, but I loved it the few times we went to TN and feel an affinity with mountainous regions. Hope you enjoy it when you reach Asheville.

Thanks so much for your advice. Good luck to you!

Wonder if anyone else on the forum is considering moving to NC . . .
Old Feb 1st 2013, 10:44 am
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

Moving to a new country can be an exciting life experience but it also comes with a variety of changes to what we're us to. One of those challenges is finding a town/city in America which make you feel like you're at home. Where the people are friendly and there are things of interest to do. Where in America do you want to call home that has most of the attributes you want?
At home where? Central London or rural Northern Ireland?

I never really understand why people move to somewhere just to make it like the place they came from, what is the point?

The most British-like place I've ever been in North America is Victoria, BC and many parts of the Fraser Valley in BC also. They even used to drive on the left-hand side of the road in Victoria, occasionally you'll see someone driving an old MG or Triumph that is RHD.

If you're talking about the US, I found some parts of Virginia were quite British-like, e.g. Alexandria.
Old Feb 1st 2013, 10:48 am
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MarylandNed
And then there are the idiots who seem to think that the 2nd Amendment means that they have the right to own any weapons available on the planet without restriction. Is it OK to own ground-to-air missiles, helicopter gunships, torpedoes, nuclear weapons and other weapons of mass destruction?
There are Cobra gunships in private hands, plenty of tanks too.

I seem to recall an old aircraft carrier being in private hands. And there is no law that says you can't for example own an F-16, but GD won't sell you parts even if you got your hands on one. Also the State Dept. won't licence export to private individuals.

But there was loads of stuff left behind in Vietnam that ended up being sold off to civilians.
Old Feb 2nd 2013, 9:51 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat027 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
Forget it here, they wouldn't piss on you if you were on fire.
Absolutely!! Unless there was a photo opportunity.
Old Feb 2nd 2013, 9:54 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat027 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
I heard it gets a a bit feisty.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=5XTiI1e-wVc
That was because of Nessa
Old Feb 3rd 2013, 1:25 am
Banned

Desdemona has a reputation beyond reputeDesdemona has a reputation beyond reputeDesdemona has a reputation beyond reputeDesdemona has a reputation beyond reputeDesdemona has a reputation beyond reputeDesdemona has a reputation beyond reputeDesdemona has a reputation beyond reputeDesdemona has a reputation beyond reputeDesdemona has a reputation beyond reputeDesdemona has a reputation beyond reputeDesdemona has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Have *you* ever taken a cake to a new neighbour who's just moved in? Friendliness begets friendliness! You never know, that new neighbour may well end up being your best friend.

So don't wait for it to come to you, invite your neighbours for drinks, welcome new people, or ask that housewife who's on her own every day if she'd like to join you for coffee.

It's the only way. I've noticed that people are friendlier in smaller communities. Most people in larger cities are too busy to make time for neighbours. My Dad who is American was born and raised in the city where we now live. But he says that the few years he spent in a little rural community where his job took him were the best. Because it was small enough everyone knew everybody else. Me ? I'm a city gal. So quite happy where we live now

Last edited by Desdemona; Feb 3rd 2013 at 3:20 am.
Old Feb 4th 2013, 7:06 am
Still Glazers Out!

Cainess has a reputation beyond reputeCainess has a reputation beyond reputeCainess has a reputation beyond reputeCainess has a reputation beyond reputeCainess has a reputation beyond reputeCainess has a reputation beyond reputeCainess has a reputation beyond reputeCainess has a reputation beyond reputeCainess has a reputation beyond reputeCainess has a reputation beyond reputeCainess has a reputation beyond repute

Been in Houston, Texas for over 2 months now, and I have to say the Texan people, by & large, are very friendly, well-mannered people.

Yes, it's a huge, huge city (4th largest in the U.S.) with traffic problems that no engineer will EVER fix (only a nutter would live in the opposite side of the city from where they need to get to work... the commute would take you about 3 hours every morning!!) and the crime rates are obviously high (plenty of scumbags, many of whom apparently drifted here after Katrina emptied New Orleans) in such a large place, but the people are genuine, down-to-earth decent people in my experience.

What do I miss from home..?? Football (the NFL is fine, but it'll never rival 'our' sport), fresh air (pollution is obviously going to be an issue in a city with so many vehicles) and genuinely COLD water (the cold taps here issue water which is only marginally less warm than the hot taps, and that's me here during the winter months... NOT looking forward to summer...!)
Old Feb 6th 2013, 3:44 am
Banned

UkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Cainess
Been in Houston, Texas for over 2 months now, and I have to say the Texan people, by & large, are very friendly, well-mannered people.

Yes, it's a huge, huge city (4th largest in the U.S.) with traffic problems that no engineer will EVER fix (only a nutter would live in the opposite side of the city from where they need to get to work... the commute would take you about 3 hours every morning!!) and the crime rates are obviously high (plenty of scumbags, many of whom apparently drifted here after Katrina emptied New Orleans) in such a large place, but the people are genuine, down-to-earth decent people in my experience.

What do I miss from home..?? Football (the NFL is fine, but it'll never rival 'our' sport), fresh air (pollution is obviously going to be an issue in a city with so many vehicles) and genuinely COLD water (the cold taps here issue water which is only marginally less warm than the hot taps, and that's me here during the winter months... NOT looking forward to summer...!)
Tap water in the UK is actually cold? I thought tap water is slightly cool no matter the country.
Old Feb 6th 2013, 4:09 am
Still Glazers Out!

Cainess has a reputation beyond reputeCainess has a reputation beyond reputeCainess has a reputation beyond reputeCainess has a reputation beyond reputeCainess has a reputation beyond reputeCainess has a reputation beyond reputeCainess has a reputation beyond reputeCainess has a reputation beyond reputeCainess has a reputation beyond reputeCainess has a reputation beyond reputeCainess has a reputation beyond repute

Tap water in the UK is actually cold? I thought tap water is slightly cool no matter the country.
Er, cold tap water in Northern Ireland is... cold. Not tepid, not warmish...cold.
Old Feb 6th 2013, 4:41 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Englishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond repute

Er, cold tap water in Northern Ireland is... cold. Not tepid, not warmish...cold.
I missed that too! We ended up buying one of those hot/cold water coolers that plug in, you can usually find a 'fix' for most things....especially if you mention it on here.
Old Feb 6th 2013, 4:46 am
Still Glazers Out!

Originally Posted by Englishtart
I missed that too! We ended up buying one of those hot/cold water coolers that plug in, you can usually find a 'fix' for most things....especially if you mention it on here.
Indeed, lass, indeed... credit to the Yanks, if you think of a problem they can usually come up with a solution....
Old Feb 6th 2013, 4:55 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Englishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond repute

Indeed, lass, indeed... credit to the Yanks, if you think of a problem they can usually come up with a solution....
Yeah, but you can't 'fix' stupid!! That can sometimes be a big problem here!
Old Feb 6th 2013, 4:56 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

In summer the water in NJ out of the cold water tap water is warm...in winter it's freezing cold. Probably has something to do with the outside temperature.
Old Feb 19th 2013, 11:53 am
Forum Regular

chris197337 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Steve_
At home where? Central London or rural Northern Ireland?

I never really understand why people move to somewhere just to make it like the place they came from, what is the point?

The most British-like place I've ever been in North America is Victoria, BC and many parts of the Fraser Valley in BC also. They even used to drive on the left-hand side of the road in Victoria, occasionally you'll see someone driving an old MG or Triumph that is RHD.

If you're talking about the US, I found some parts of Virginia were quite British-like, e.g. Alexandria.
For me, the thing that I'd like to find in American city that is like home is the layout. As far as I've experienced most places don't have what we would call a town (downtown) and haven't got years. There are malls, strip malls, grocery stores, Churches and random road-side bars/ bar and grills.

So if I'm looking for something that makes me feel at home it's somewhere with a pub and a town for shopping/ going out.

NYC, Vegas, San Francisco and Chicago aside, is there anywhere anybody would recommend as a good night out in the US?
Old Feb 19th 2013, 12:58 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chris197337
So if I'm looking for something that makes me feel at home it's somewhere with a pub and a town for shopping/ going out.
Check out some towns in Maine. Portland, Bangor, Rockland, Camden, Belfast, Ellesworth, Bar Harbor etc.

In Mass - Boston, Concord, Lincoln, Cambridge, Northampton, Wellesley, Holliston etc.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.