Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

British Football thread

British Football thread

Old Oct 3rd 2003, 9:56 pm
Get em out by Friday

tony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by scotch03
Well Tony its Hearts V Dundee this weekend and I guess Hearts have the upper hand.

I'm pondering over a phone call to my old mate - Albert Kidd (ring any bells?).

For those of you outside of Dundee and Edinburgh - Hearts required 1 point to win the SPL.

With something silly like ten minutes to go Dundee introduced Albert Kidd to the game who went on to score twice and breaking the Hearts of errr Hearts! I was a ball boy at that game and remember turning to punch the air to the Hearts fans - bad move as they invaved the pitch and I had to run for my life.

In retrospect I wish Hearts had won instead of Celtic picking up the league again. In the defence of Dundee they had to win and Renagers had to get beat by two goals to see Dundee qualify for the UEFA cup. Sadly Rangers beat Motherwell and scored the goals they needed.

Inside the changing rooms following the games I witnessed Hearts and Dundee players crying and kicking things as both had lost out.

Hope you enjoyed that story.

Scotch
Every Dundee fan I meet brings out this story with such delight that you would think they were the ones who had won the league that year, very weird...closet hibbies?

Truth about that season is we lost the league way earlier than that, we were thrashing the likes of Rangers and getting draws against Clydebank.

I was a kid around that time and will remember the season for the incredible unbeaten run, traveling on the bus to Ibrox and Parkhead and watching us win there. Slagging my schoolmates on the Monday morning. Yeah we got bugger all at the end, but every Hearts fan I know who was around then doesn’t see the game against Dundee as such a big deal anymore....Hibs and Dundee fans think we do though.

The 7-0 game in the 70’s against Hibs is a bigger concern for Hearts fans.

Still I reckon we will thrash Dundee on Saturday.
Old Oct 3rd 2003, 11:10 pm
Up Yir Kilt

scotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of light

Fighting talk ya Jam Tart.

What are the words to the H E A R T S song?
The one that starts
Hearts Hearts Gloreous Hearts
Lalalalalallala

Sounds good.
Old Oct 4th 2003, 2:29 am
BE Forum Addict

doctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to behold

Was that the season when Hearts were sponsored by Mita copiers ? The joke doing the rounds being they Mita won the league, they Mita won the cup etc ? Mid 80s ? Nice to see players getting some passion about not winning something, compared with the ovepaid ponces today.

I believe it is the 1st all-Scotland secterian shouting contest today ? As the 'auld firm' set to trying to have a football match amongst the bigots cries.
Old Oct 4th 2003, 4:26 pm
Get em out by Friday

tony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond repute

Dundee 2-0 up at one point today and Hearts coming back in the second half to level it, I wish i'd got out of my kip to listen to it now
I'll send you an MP3 of the Hearts song if it excites you so much Scotch

Yes scrumpy Scotlands disgrace did indeed play today. Among the usual child killing terrorist songs and songs about a gay prince from the 15th century a football match was played.

I hear Celtic won the game 1-0.
Old Oct 5th 2003, 4:32 am
Up Yir Kilt

scotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of light

Tony,

Send the MP3 to [email protected]

Seems like it was a great game - I listened to the last few minutes and thought H E A R T S were going to steal it!

Going to watch Chelsea tomorrow morning on Fox.
Old Oct 5th 2003, 9:04 am
Skyscrapered

Haggischomper has a spectacular aura aboutHaggischomper has a spectacular aura aboutHaggischomper has a spectacular aura about

Originally posted by tony_2003
Dundee 2-0 up at one point today and Hearts coming back in the second half to level it, I wish i'd got out of my kip to listen to it now
I'll send you an MP3 of the Hearts song if it excites you so much Scotch

Yes scrumpy Scotlands disgrace did indeed play today. Among the usual child killing terrorist songs and songs about a gay prince from the 15th century a football match was played.

I hear Celtic won the game 1-0.
Listened to Hearts/Dundee on the radio - great game. Watched Rangers/Celtic on the telly - terrible stuff. It's sad that many people only know Scottish football for the Old Firm when those games, 90% of the time, are dire. And don't get me started on these media clowns who go on about the "terrific" atmosphere - it's about time someone took a stand about that "terrific" atmosphere and tried to get something done about it. Shameful.

Anyway, another away win for my mob (Motherwell) today, 2-0 at Tannadice. That's 6 points we have taken at Easter Road and Tannadice - traditional Motherwell graveyards. I wonder if we will manage a rare victory at Pittodrie this season? Mind you, most people have....

Terry Butcher's Pampers Army marches on.... The only thing that can stop us now is players calling off because they have homework or sick-notes from their mother's....
Old Oct 5th 2003, 10:51 am
BE Forum Addict

doctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to behold

Originally posted by Haggischomper
Listened to Hearts/Dundee on the radio - great game. Watched Rangers/Celtic on the telly - terrible stuff. It's sad that many people only know Scottish football for the Old Firm when those games, 90% of the time, are dire. And don't get me started on these media clowns who go on about the "terrific" atmosphere - it's about time someone took a stand about that "terrific" atmosphere and tried to get something done about it. Shameful.
Glad to hear someone agreeing with my view on that game. It was bad. How many players eligible to play for Scotland played in that game yesterday ?
Old Oct 5th 2003, 12:49 pm
Skyscrapered

Haggischomper has a spectacular aura aboutHaggischomper has a spectacular aura aboutHaggischomper has a spectacular aura about

Off the top of my head, only two - though I can't recall the entire line-ups. Jackie McNamara and Marice Ross (who came on at half-time). A shocking statistic.
Old Oct 5th 2003, 3:55 pm
100% Pure

DaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Haggischomper
Off the top of my head, only two - though I can't recall the entire line-ups. Jackie McNamara and Marice Ross (who came on at half-time). A shocking statistic.
The sooner the OF **** off to England the better!

I don't think you'll have much luck against the Sheep, they'll be coming off of a heavy defeat away to the Tims the week before so will be anxious to bounce back quickly.

On another topic, could you confirm that the Murderwell bar scarf is quite popular with Harry Potter fans? I seem to recall a story about a year ago that the club shop was being bombarded by orders for them. The mother in law wants me to get a couple some on my next trip home.
Old Oct 5th 2003, 4:25 pm
Through the square window

Webbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by DaveC
The sooner the OF **** off to England the better!
Hey we don't want them ! Better off where they are.

Butinallseriousness on that:
I am a football purist and I don't want to see British football go the way of American Football teams (single ownership/franchises) and even move when the team is not happy with the city.
- It's already happened with Wimbledon (who I now call Milton Keynes FC)

Rangers or Celtic will not move physically that is (went off on a tangent there) but moving to play in another league would be bad for Scottish football.
If the old firm play in the 1st Div/Prem league then you would lose two of the biggest teams and as a result the attention that these teams bring Scottish football as a whole.
Without the old firm the Scottish League would end up being seen as and treated like the Welsh League.

I know people will disagree with this and say that Dundee and Hearts are big teams and the SPL would survive. But would it ?

Leave things as is I say.
Lets hope that we don't have any more talk of moves, or any more teams playing 75 miles away from where they were founded.
I don't want to see our game go the way of American Football teams !
(Haven't the Raiders moved three times already ? Would you like to see Celtic do that ?)

*Gets off soapbox/goes to watch the Panthers*
Old Oct 5th 2003, 4:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

Playing devil's advocate for a moment...If the OF went south, then the rest of the SPL would at least be playing meaningful football where the likes of the Dons' Hearts' Dundee etc would be fighting for a title in a reasonable league challenge. At the moment hearts are 3rd & 7 points adrift ?
Old Oct 5th 2003, 4:51 pm
100% Pure

DaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Webbie
Hey we don't want them!
If only the OF would get that into their thick skulls! Most of the English clubs, quite rightly, don't want to give up lucrative positions in the EPL or Division 1. If there are any proponents of them playing in an English league, let's see if their opinion changes after a few visits from the OF fans with their bigoted nonsense.

I'm sure the police are looking forward to the extra security involved too.

I know people will disagree with this and say that Dundee and Hearts are big teams and the SPL would survive. But would it ?
The main argument for life without the OF is that the league would be more competitive so more fans would turn up to watch their team play and this money would mitigate against the potential loss of TV revenue.

I can't see the OF ever playing in an English league. A British cup competition may be the compromise. I would say that there is more chance of a European league being formed, for all the other big fish in small European countries.
Old Oct 5th 2003, 7:30 pm
Get em out by Friday

The evil 2 will never move to England because they are not wanted as has been said. If there was even a remote posibility of them going there then they should start in the English Division 3.

I think the most they can hope for is a league outwith Britain, such as the Atlantic league that was sugested a while back...still dont think it will happen.

I disagree about a move being bad for the SPL, I think the league would get stronger with the likes of Hearts, Aberdeen and the Dundee teams finally having a chance of winning the title.

How much revenue do the terrible two actually bring for the other ten? I would guess not a hell of a lot...the cost of policing there games for the home team is higher than your average game as well. I would pretty much guarentee if Aberdeen, Hearts, dundee, utd were scrapping for the league title we would see full houses at all these grounds week in week out.

Hearts have also had several youngsters poached by the old firm, players who went on to become Scotland internationals...many of the other teams have also had there best players nicked by them.

Sky have already ditched the SPL and only show the old firm games so thats not such a big deal. I think the league would take a couple of years to flourish but would definitley be a great thing for Scottish football...it certainly would be light years ahead of the welsh league lol.
Old Oct 5th 2003, 9:04 pm
Through the square window

Webbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond repute

I think we are all agreed that the moving of the OF to English Leagues is a bad idea and will never happen.
The Scottish and English FA's would have none of it anyway.
As well as UEFA/FIFA.

There was some (small) talk about a Great Britain team to play football in the Olympics.
Now that would be an interesting experiment, I would like to see that.
Hopefully some good would come of it and the youth players would get some exposure.
- It would show the EPL/SPL teams that we have some damned good player and they should give them a chance !

I know, take off your rose-tinted glasses.

We could get into a discussion about foreign players being good or bad for the game, etc, but I think there isn't any disagreement on that.
Everybody wants to see Ravi/Annelka/Henry/Larsson playing for their team.
But it does mean the youth players have to try harder/be better than the rest, but again - isn't that better for the teams !
Old Oct 5th 2003, 9:50 pm
100% Pure

There was some (small) talk about a Great Britain team to play football in the Olympics.
Tony Banks used to bang on about this. I think it would be a nightmare as it would most likely result in FIFA/UEFA making the home nations combine teams for the Euro Championships and World Cup.

Also, can anyone think of any current Scottish/Welsh/NI players who would get into a GB team (not the squad)?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.