Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

British Football thread

British Football thread

Old Oct 9th 2003, 1:07 pm
100% Pure

DaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond repute
Default Media and public turn on England Players

Originally posted by tony_2003
This is indeed quite humourous. I do commend the English team for this stance though. I'm sure it will get resolved by Saturday, my guess is because Ferdinand has urged them to play the game they will do it.

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/031009/325/eanog.html

Of course it'll all be forgotten if they get a result this weekend.
Old Oct 9th 2003, 1:14 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by tony_2003
I do commend the English team for this stance though.
Tony, I don't agree.
It should be an honor to play for the team. Nothing is a right when it comes to international caps. Ferdinand ****ed up. I doubt he would have been so absent minded if it had been a lucrative sponsorship deal or something along those lines.
I wanted the English players not to travel.
And then I wanted Sven to pick a bunch of no-bodies out of the first division. Sure we may have lost the game, but I can guarantee you that they would have played with more pride and heart than this current bunch of ponces.

I'd give my right arm to play for England (not as a goalie though, a one armed goalie would be useless.) and if I was a player you can bet your arse I wouldn't put my international career on the line for some self centered prick who couldn't be arsed to follow a very simple rule.

IMO of course.
Old Oct 9th 2003, 2:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

doctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to behold

Interesting how that in athletics you would be bannedfor 2 years without delay.

Ferdinand should be banned pure & simple, he broke the rules & are you going to have one rule for man u & one for the rest ?
Old Oct 9th 2003, 4:12 pm
100% Pure

DaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond repute
Default Some good news for England

Nielson has pulled out of the chance to red card Beckham again and the big bald bugger is taking over!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/foot...nd/3166446.stm
Old Oct 9th 2003, 5:24 pm
Through the square window

Webbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Some good news for England

Originally posted by DaveC
Nielson has pulled out of the chance to red card Beckham again and the big bald bugger is taking over!
Top bloke Collina. Used to love watching matches reffed by him in the Seria A.
(Message to Channel 4 - you GIMPS ! Losing the Italian Football and what do you get instead ? Some cricket.)

With Collina there it is a good omen.
He seems to be a lucky charm and England always do well with him in the middle.
I feared that with all these arguments, injuries (Owen not going now), etc, that England would go over there and get spanked, but I don't think so now.
(Radio Five can broadcast home England games, but now away, so I'll be watching the commentry on Soccernet and fiddling with the radio to see if the World Service has any coverage.)

My prediction: 1-0 to England.

The Scotland match:
A crucial one that they have to win, but I don't have to tell you guys about how many times they've been and this position and....
I won't say it.
Lots of players missing, with be brown trousers until the final whistle.
(Don't know if this will be on Five Live or not)

Scotland to win 1-0

Wales have got a crucial game as well, they need to win but Italy could help them by winning their match.
I think they'll do it.
(BBC are broadcasting the game online)

Wales to win 2-1

Republic Of Ireland's group.... really tight. I don't know how this will play out.
See the BBC report on all the permutations-->
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/foot...ls/3168158.stm

Lets have all your predictions then.
Old Oct 9th 2003, 5:46 pm
100% Pure

Live commentary on the Scotland game is on Sportsound:

Predictions:

Scotland 2-1 Lithuania (but Iceland to beat Germany)
Turkey 2-2 England (late-ish equaliser for England by Beckham.)
Wales 3- 0 Serbia
Ireland 2-0 Switzerland
Old Oct 9th 2003, 5:49 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

Scotland 3-0 Lithuania
Turkey 0-0 England
Wales 2-1 Serbia
Eire 2-1 Suisse.
Old Oct 9th 2003, 5:56 pm

Webbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond repute

(but Iceland to beat Germany)
Okaaaay...

*Slowly moves one seat down the bench*

We all here would love to see Germany get beat, but Iceland ?!
Old Oct 9th 2003, 6:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

footie chick is an unknown quantity at this point

The Scotland match can be listened to online at BBC Sports Scotland.

As already said we`ve been here many times before lets hope a little luck is shining on Hampden Park Saturday afternoon.

Good luck to the rest of the teams

footie chick
Old Oct 9th 2003, 6:14 pm
Just Joined

Paul W is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Setanta; England Turkey

I know I can travel to a bar to see the game if I could but I can't so why is Setanta and once again screwing over football fans this time not showing through private homes on PPV. Aren't there a group of weathy ex-pats who can club together and get the rights off this bunch of ..
And while we are at it. When are the BBC going to put some games on live? The Italians, Turks, Mexicans manage to get there national broadcasters to do it, the BBC America endless home improvement shows and Graham Norton...
Old Oct 9th 2003, 6:19 pm
100% Pure

Originally posted by Webbie
We all here would love to see Germany get beat, but Iceland ?!
1. Germany's home form is not exactly stunning with 2 draws and 2 narrow victories. The Faroes were a pubic hair away from equalising in one of these matches.
2. They've only managed to draw with Iceland away.
3. The worst that could happen is that they go into the playoffs so they may not be as up for the match as Iceland.

And most importantly,

4. This is Scotland we're talking about. We have a habit of being glorious in defeat!
Old Oct 9th 2003, 6:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

footie chick is an unknown quantity at this point

1. Germany's home form is not exactly stunning with 2 draws and 2 narrow victories. The Faroes were a pubic hair away from equalising in one of these matches.
2. They've only managed to draw with Iceland away.
3. The worst that could happen is that they go into the playoffs so they may not be as up for the match as Iceland.

And most importantly,

4. This is Scotland we're talking about. We have a habit of being glorious in defeat!

`Glorious in Defeat` oh yes we most certainly are and the hangovers the morning after usually takes more than a day or two to get over !!

footie chick
Old Oct 9th 2003, 7:02 pm
@matthewb76

Default Re: Setanta; England Turkey

Originally posted by Paul W
. Aren't there a group of weathy ex-pats who can club together and get the rights off this bunch of .....

Sentanta was set up by a bunch of wealthy expats.......

They also demand a cover charge of $20 per person who enters the bar to see the game. This stops people going round to a mates house, and them all watching it for $20 job lot. They get more money that way.

It sucks I know........but it is the way it is.
Old Oct 9th 2003, 7:16 pm

Default Re: Setanta; England Turkey

Originally posted by manc1976
Sentanta was set up by a bunch of wealthy expats.......

They also demand a cover charge of $20 per person who enters the bar to see the game. This stops people going round to a mates house, and them all watching it for $20 job lot. They get more money that way.

It sucks I know........but it is the way it is.
Being a bit presumptious here - but I'm thinking about the actual finals and who will be broadcasting them this side of the pond.
Hope it's not the above bunch of pirates.

The people with cable or satellite here - does any of the Spanish speaking channels show any footie ?
How about Fox Sports Net > Will they be our saviour ?
Old Oct 9th 2003, 7:20 pm
@matthewb76

I watched the England v Sweden world cup game on Galavision or something like that last year

GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.