Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

British Football thread

British Football thread

Old Oct 5th 2003, 10:48 pm
Get em out by Friday

tony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah a GB team is a nice sentiment and would probably even bring the 4 nations a tad closer to each other if it did happen.

Rugby is one thing but a football team would make a big difference. UEFA would definitley make the GB team play in the WC etc, this is why it will never happen.

I would only be for it if a new competition emerged, too much history in the current setup, I'm sure England fans would rather crucify the Queen than merge with us as well

Ryan Giggs, Barry Ferguson,Neil Lennon and maybe Steven Pressley would get in the team, the rst would be made up of English players.
Old Oct 6th 2003, 2:19 am
Up Yir Kilt

scotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of light

I would never want a UK team. I wish that Scotland would represent itslef at the Olympics.
This is only because both England and Scotland have much to offer as independent countries and have a history that I am proud of as a Scotsman.
Old Oct 6th 2003, 2:24 am
100% Pure

DaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by scotch03
I would never want a UK team. I wish that Scotland would represent itslef at the Olympics.
Well there's the Commonwealth games. At least there you don't have to put up with the "English when they're winning / Scottish (or Welsh) when they're losing" from the media.
Old Oct 6th 2003, 2:27 am
Through the square window

Webbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by DaveC
Also, can anyone think of any current Scottish/Welsh/NI players who would get into a GB team (not the squad)?
I wasn't going to there (see how American I'm becoming !) and mention that, because you can't...
That is why I said youth team players.
You would not see first team/senior players in an olympic team.

I agree that if this happened then the football or olympic authorities would come along and say "if you have a GB team you have to have a GB FA.
But then politics would get involved and things would get really nasty.

As I said - don't even go there.
Old Oct 6th 2003, 3:13 am
BE Forum Addict

doctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to behold

Giggs would provide the answer to the problematic left midfield spot in the England team. Other than that it would be 10 Englishmen. Not that the England team are that good in places, just the the othe nations do not have anyone to challenge. Would it make any difference if you included Eire too like they do with the Lions ? Possibly Roy Keane, but he is getting too old for internationals ?

I think the Scots would object a damn site more than the English about merging too ! German manager is ok, but would they ever accept an English one up there ? Somehow I doubt it.
Old Oct 6th 2003, 3:49 am
Get em out by Friday

tony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond repute

How would Giggs solve Englands problem when it's a Great Britain team? Also you're asuming it would be an English guy in charge, who do you have in mind? Bobby Robson?
Old Oct 6th 2003, 6:22 am
BE Forum Addict

doctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to behold

What I meant was that given the England team would make the bulk if nit all the players in the GB team, and that England have a problem at left midfield..Giggs would fill that role nicely.

As for an England manager of a GB team, not suggesting it would automatically have to be an Englishman, merely pointing out that the Scots would not exactly be dancing down Sauchiehall Street to greet English manager. For my money the best manager for a GB team could be Martin O'Niell.
Old Oct 6th 2003, 10:27 am
Skyscrapered

Haggischomper has a spectacular aura aboutHaggischomper has a spectacular aura aboutHaggischomper has a spectacular aura about

Just to throw another thought into the ring re managers of this proposed UK team - when/who was the last English manager to win the top league? A genuine question - cos I don't know the answer!
Old Oct 6th 2003, 12:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally posted by Haggischomper
Just to throw another thought into the ring re managers of this proposed UK team - when/who was the last English manager to win the top league? A genuine question - cos I don't know the answer!

Howard Wilkinson Leeds United 1992.
Old Oct 6th 2003, 3:42 pm
Get em out by Friday

Having an entire team of England players would not work because it would just be England. I also don't think that England has the best players in the entire UK, the majority yes, but not all.

There would have to be a percentage of players from each country...say 4 or 5 split between Scotland, Wales and NI and the rest English.

I don't think an England manager would be a big issue though, after all we had John Barnes at Celtic and Terry Butcher is at Motherwell or something.

Then you have the problem of where to play the games
This is all hypothetical however, nice idea but will never happen.

Last edited by tony_2003; Oct 6th 2003 at 3:45 pm.
Old Oct 6th 2003, 8:00 pm
Get em out by Friday

On the subject of the Old Firm.
Found this story on the BBC website regarding the violence at the last game. These people are insane.
Old Firm Casualties
Old Oct 6th 2003, 8:37 pm
Through the square window

Webbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by tony_2003
Having an entire team of England players would not work because it would just be England. I also don't think that England has the best players in the entire UK, the majority yes, but not all.

There would have to be a percentage of players from each country...say 4 or 5 split between Scotland, Wales and NI and the rest English.

I don't think an England manager would be a big issue though, after all we had John Barnes at Celtic and Terry Butcher is at Motherwell or something.

Then you have the problem of where to play the games
This is all hypothetical however, nice idea but will never happen.
Forget about a possible GB senior team, we know that will never happen.
But at a risk of repeating myself - a GB Olympic team with youth/under 21 players is a real possibility.
As I said before, I would like to see this to see how it pans out.

This team could be coached by Dario Gradi - a bloke who's been the manager at Crewe for how long... 13 years now ?
Why he isn't involved in the England set up I don't know why.
He's managed to keep Crewe in the 1st Division (and sometimes 2nd) with a zero budget and only youth players and free transfers to pick from.
Top bloke and deserves some recognition for his contribution to football.

Changing subject - I read that BBC report about the OF and can't believe these idiots.
All because of religion. (Personal view - ban ALL religions)
I've been in Anfield, Stanley Park, Maine Road and the other place and I've never seen the sort of trouble that the hospital staff in Glasgow have to deal with.
Alright I admit many years ago there were scuffles between supporters down Moss Side way, but nothing ever serious.
The best rivaly I've seen is between Liverpool and Everton.
They've know that it's only a game !
Old Oct 6th 2003, 9:39 pm
Get em out by Friday

I nearly choked on my coffee when I read this part
"Later a skinhead with a red hand of Ulster flag on his t-shirt has a slash wound on his chin taped up by one of the senior nurses.

He says he was out dancing with his girlfriend and has no idea why someone decided to attack him with a broken glass.

What a puzzler eh? I mean it's the latest rage to go clubing with the Northern ireland flag on your chest isnt it?
Hilarious!
Old Oct 7th 2003, 11:40 am
Skyscrapered

Haggischomper has a spectacular aura aboutHaggischomper has a spectacular aura aboutHaggischomper has a spectacular aura about

Originally posted by DaveC

On another topic, could you confirm that the Murderwell bar scarf is quite popular with Harry Potter fans? I seem to recall a story about a year ago that the club shop was being bombarded by orders for them. The mother in law wants me to get a couple some on my next trip home.
Sorry, missed this earlier. Yeah, they produced some extra long one's a year or two ago and they flew off the shelves (now THAT's magic!) but I don't think they have any of those left. However, the 'normal' sized one still looks Potter-esque and you should be able to order online from www.motherwellfc.co.uk
Old Oct 7th 2003, 1:40 pm
100% Pure

DaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Haggischomper
Sorry, missed this earlier. Yeah, they produced some extra long one's a year or two ago and they flew off the shelves (now THAT's magic!) but I don't think they have any of those left. However, the 'normal' sized one still looks Potter-esque and you should be able to order online from www.motherwellfc.co.uk
Cheers for that. I followed the link above and "hey presto" got to the site. Not a bad site, had quick look at the squad pictures and you weren't kidding about the youthfullness of the team. Most of the players with squad numbers 15 and up barely look over 15!

The shop had "not a lot" of the longer scarves but I'm sure the normal length ones will suffice. 5 squid each, not too bad as I have to get 4 for my mother in law. I'm sure she'll be pleased to know she's contributing to help you guys out of administration!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.