Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

British Football thread

British Football thread

Old Nov 9th 2004, 4:05 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: British Football thread

Originally Posted by Webbie
I feel that I've just been punched in the throat.

Last week I found out my best friend from childhood had died.
He was a year younger than me.

Now Emlyn.
He was a Barrow lad too.
Old Nov 9th 2004, 4:19 pm
Through the square window

Webbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Manc
He was a Barrow lad too.
Yeah he used to live near Abbot's Vale, next to the Park.
Occasionally you would see him kicking a ball around with a few of the kids.
After he signed for Liverpool he still came home to Barrow after a match. My Dad told me he always went in the Bay Horse on a Saturday. Sometimes he would bring Ray Clemence in for a pint.

Supported Barrow AFC when he was a kid but never played for them, played for Roose and Holker I think. Barrow's manager at the time thought he was too small or thin or something. He then went for a trial at Blackpool and you know the rest.
Old Nov 10th 2004, 4:16 am
UK & US Citizen

ScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by James Box
Emlyn Hughes dies.. He'll be greatly missed
Better Days

RIP Crazy Horse
Old Nov 10th 2004, 7:41 am
Get em out by Friday

tony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond repute

Sad news on Em...a great character on and off the field. Always a great laugh on a question of sport. He deserved a knighthood before twats like Mick Jagger.
Old Nov 10th 2004, 12:34 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

Luke Beckett, our only asset, prolific scorer in the lower divisions.
sold to Hull City for a pittance.

jesus christ.
Old Nov 11th 2004, 3:14 am

Webbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Manc
Luke Beckett, our only asset, prolific scorer in the lower divisions.
sold to Hull City for a pittance.

jesus christ.
New runners in the sack race:
The manager of the Saints - haven't heard of him before, didn't even know Southampton had employed him.

(Tony Adams has fell at the first)

Blackburn are bottom of the league so if they hang on long enough - Wales can have him back.

Neck and neck with a furlong to go is Sammy Mac and G Rix.

S McIlroy's record:
Macclesfield P135 W48 L52 D35
Northern Ireland P29 W5 L17 D7
Stockport: Played-56 Won-13 Lost-25 Drawn-18

G Rix record:
Prison - 6 months.
Portsmouth P56 W16 L23 D17
Oxford: Played-28 Won-6 Lost-14 Drawn-8

Incidently - Bryan Robson has just got the West Brom job. Before that he was at Bradford where he lost 20 out of 28 games.
What is wrong with the Chairmen/Board of Directors at football clubs ?
Have they got selective memories ?

The three above named as you can see from the evidence M'lud are completely shite at managing a football team.

Imagine if they had to submit a C.V like the rest of us:

(Made up random example)

1999-2001
Manager - Birmingham City
Reason for leaving:
Dismissed because of relegation.

1997-2000
Manager - Cambridge Utd
Reason for leaving:
Dismissed because I lost 50 out of 56 games.

1995-1996
Manager - Carlisle
Reason for leaving:
Dismissed because I got the team relegated from the Football League.

----------------------------------

"Oh yes Mr Ron Manager - you have an impressive C.V there, welcome to the club. You are more than qualified to manage our [top three premier league] team. I'm sure we'll win lots of things under you."
Yeah right.
Get off the coke there Mr Chairman.
Read the ****ing papers !
Check the websites:
http://www.soccerbase.com/managers.sd

I've said it before - weirdest job in the world being a footie team manager.
Your employees get paid 5 times more than you do.
If they all **** it up you get the sack.
But it doesn't matter because you'll do some pundit work for ITV.
Get paid to watch some Prem League games and you'll have the gall to sit there and criticize another manager even though you got your team relegated.
And then....and THEN !
You'll be given a cushty Premier League job, coin it in, get them relegated and STILL get rewarded for your failed job. (cf Terry Venables, et al.)

</rant off>

In other snooze:

- Rooney has smacked his big American ve-hi-cul into a truck:
Manchester United striker Wayne Rooney emerged unscathed after a 23-ton builder's lorry hit his car.

Rooney's vehicle, a 4x4 Cadillac Escalade, worth £40,000, was damaged in the collision in Wilmslow, Cheshire which happened on Tuesday.

The 19-year-old England international was able to continue driving to training after the accident.

A spokesman for Rooney told The Sun newspaper: "We can confirm Wayne was involved in a collision."
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/foot...td/3998341.stm

They are selling Escalades in Blighty now ?
How the **** is that going to fit on the roads ?
I've driven behind them and they are like a moving black brick wall, you can't see beyond them.
I thought the king of chav's would be in a Golf GTI or something.
Old Nov 11th 2004, 4:02 pm
You fat bastard

adeshell is just really niceadeshell is just really niceadeshell is just really niceadeshell is just really niceadeshell is just really niceadeshell is just really niceadeshell is just really niceadeshell is just really niceadeshell is just really nice

I reckon Rixey takes it because he pantsed up a promotion chasing team in six months and took us into the bottom four. We were top for half of last season. I rather be playing boot and run football and be successful than pretty football and be crap.
Old Nov 11th 2004, 4:58 pm

May I enter into evidence exibit A:
Mansfield suspend manager Curle

Mansfield have confirmed Keith Curle has been suspended and Carlton Palmer placed in temporary charge of the club.

Curle has been told to stay away from Field Mill pending the outcome of an inquiry but assistant boss John Gannon has not been suspended.

Palmer will take charge of the Stags' FA Cup first-round tie with Colchester at Field Mill on Saturday.

"The inquiry should end by Monday and exonerate Keith Curle so he can report back to duty," said a club statement.

"We must stress that contrary to some news bulletins in the press, assistant boss John Gannon has not been suspended but is taking a couple of days' leave on full pay whilst the enquiry is going ahead," added the statement.

"The chairman would like to thank Carlton Palmer who, despite having other commitments with the BBC's Grandstand programme, has kindly agreed to fill the temporary void by conducting the daily training sessions in preparation for our big game against Colchester United on Saturday."
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/foot...wn/4002655.stm
Looks into crystal ball - Mansfield nil - Colchester - many.

See ! SEE !

Someone call the police and let them know that the Chairman of Mansfield is freebasing in his office. He's coked up off his tits and thinks that Carlton Palmer is good cover whilst they investigate Keith Curle.

*Hoots of delight emit from Michigan*

I've no idea what Curle has done. Something dodgy by the looks. I'll do some digging.

Last edited by Webbie; Nov 11th 2004 at 5:03 pm.
Old Nov 12th 2004, 8:14 am
BE Forum Addict

doctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to behold

Just a quick heads up for you Webbie. 11th December Cambridge City v Hawks, not the other way round. Least ways better be, Mensahib & I are planning a cultural weekend in Cambridge. Thought you might care to adjust the predictions site accordingly.
Old Nov 12th 2004, 10:21 am
UK & US Citizen

ScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond repute

Woohoo! Post number 4000! Don't go deleting any previous one now you buggers

Back on a footballing topic.... Webbie, you forgot to mention that when aforementioned managers do get the chop, they also get paid for the remainder of their contract. WTF! Contracts need to have a "if you turn out to be crap" clause inserted. Bit like a pre-nup
Old Nov 12th 2004, 1:18 pm

James Box has a brilliant futureJames Box has a brilliant futureJames Box has a brilliant futureJames Box has a brilliant futureJames Box has a brilliant futureJames Box has a brilliant futureJames Box has a brilliant future

And reply number 4000

Now to do my predicts!
Old Nov 12th 2004, 2:46 pm
Blindside Fumbler

Tone is a glorious beacon of lightTone is a glorious beacon of lightTone is a glorious beacon of lightTone is a glorious beacon of lightTone is a glorious beacon of lightTone is a glorious beacon of lightTone is a glorious beacon of lightTone is a glorious beacon of lightTone is a glorious beacon of lightTone is a glorious beacon of lightTone is a glorious beacon of light

Wales appoint Tosh, a dead ex copper as new manager

Originally Posted by Tosh

Didn't I drink myself to death?
Should work well.

Just as well Gerard Houllier didn't get the job - if he suffered a heartattack at Liverpool, god only knows what he'd get with Wales!!

Last edited by Tone; Nov 12th 2004 at 3:02 pm.
Old Nov 12th 2004, 6:39 pm

Originally Posted by ScousePete
Woohoo! Post number 4000! Don't go deleting any previous one now you buggers
...you forgot to mention that when aforementioned managers do get the chop, they also get paid for the remainder of their contract.
I mentioned about the payoffs and contracts in a previous rant. Hinted at it with Venables as well.

Now that Wales have got the highly popular choice for manager.
Once again - more evidence that the fat bastards in the boardroom - at international level this time, are too busy supping the brandy and haven't got a ******* clue about football.
What's even more laughable is that they've given him a five year contract !
I bet he has the clause in there - if he gets sacked or walks then they have to pay off the remainder of the contract.
Walked out/paid off after 1 match last time - we'll give him 2 games before he fecks off back to Spain with his suitcase stuffed with cash.

Mark Hughes very surprised by the appointment and took out his revenge on Tony Parks by sacking him.
34 years he's been at Blackburn.
Every time they sacked a Manager he took temp charge he always won his games and improved their standing.
"Thanks very much for your long service. You will find out about your dismissal in this morning's papers:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/foot...rs/4006073.stm
That is just not right.

But you reap what you sow - Blackburn at the bottom and Division 1 (or whatever it's called) beckons.

Scotland have still got to appoint their popular choice, so Dalglish has got to be a shoe-in for that one.

Had a look around to find out what Keith Curle had been suspended for, but not many people out there know the real reason.
Found an unofficial Mansfield forum which some posters allude to his "training ground punishments" :
http://boards.rivals.net/default.asp...d=3267&style=2
Quote:"ALLEGEDLY made a youth team player run round the pitch with his shorts round his ankles."

This is all good preparation for tomorrow's FA cup match against Macc Town.
Suspend your manager two days before and then get in Carlton Palmer.
As mentioned in a previous post - the chairman here has been on the white powder.

Scrumps: Have altered the Hawks Dec 11th match.
Bring back a programme and scan it in.
I'm getting a septic now - is it (football) program or programme ?

Completely changing the subject:
Everyone here is familiar with the Subserviant Chicken ?
(IF you are not go and Google it)

How about the Virtual Barmaid then ?
(Don't ask for a pint, ask for a tshirt)

Because of the country we all now live in - this is possibly NSFW.
Then again, anything slightly risqué is no longer suitable.
How long before every goes puritanical and we start burning witches again ?

Never thought I would actually miss seeing a pair of tits in my newspaper, or hearing someone in a film telling someone else to go **** themselves.
Old Nov 12th 2004, 7:29 pm
Get em out by Friday

tony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Webbie

Scotland have still got to appoint their popular choice, so Dalglish has got to be a shoe-in for that one.
I hope and pray that Tommy ****ing Burns doesnt get the job...I had to pinch myself when I heard he was "putting himself forward" for the position.I know it's Scotland and all that but I wonder who put it into his head that he was actually capable of managing the countries football team? As far as I know popular opinion is that he's utter shite. I'm not convinced that Dalglish is any good either. I'd still like to see Strachan take the post.
Old Nov 12th 2004, 7:32 pm
@matthewb76

Is George Graham not in the running, how come no one has ever mentioned him?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.