Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Boy Scouts Medical Requirements

Wikiposts

Boy Scouts Medical Requirements

Old Nov 29th 2012, 3:12 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Boy Scouts Medical Requirements

Originally Posted by Yorkieabroad
Things must have changed since I was in Scouts in the UK back in the 1970's. Then there was a loco parentis form that had to be signed for anyone going to camp. On the back was a very brief questionairre about medical history, and a space for my doctor to sign saying I was healthy. We didn't need a specific medical for it as far as I recall, but mam used to take us annually to see Doctor Campbell. (He was a nice man - he used to give me a lollipop after he'd checked me out.....oh crap.....think I may need some threapy now...) I honestly don't know if that was a Boy Scout requirement, or just our scoutleaders being careful. If its no longer required, I would consider that a retrograde step, rather than an improvement - doesn't seem to sit well with "Be Prepared". We had a similar form for School Ski Trips as well. To be honest, I'd have serious reservations about sending my son away on a 1-2 week camp with anybody, without them asking about any pre-existing medical conditions, allergies etc...

If you're not comfortable with the medical requirements, why not try a different camp, or switch to something like the YMCA program..Indian Chiefs or whatever. But I'd be amazed if they didn't require something similar.
Didn't even think of the allergy side of things! Wow the problems that could arise if a child were sent off with, for example, a nut allergy....
Old Nov 29th 2012, 3:20 am
Banned

JRG67 is a name known to allJRG67 is a name known to allJRG67 is a name known to allJRG67 is a name known to allJRG67 is a name known to allJRG67 is a name known to allJRG67 is a name known to allJRG67 is a name known to allJRG67 is a name known to allJRG67 is a name known to allJRG67 is a name known to all

Things must have changed since I was in Scouts in the UK back in the 1970's. Then there was a loco parentis form that had to be signed for anyone going to camp. On the back was a very brief questionairre about medical history, and a space for my doctor to sign saying I was healthy. We didn't need a specific medical for it as far as I recall, but mam used to take us annually to see Doctor Campbell. (He was a nice man - he used to give me a lollipop after he'd checked me out.....oh crap.....think I may need some threapy now...) I honestly don't know if that was a Boy Scout requirement, or just our scoutleaders being careful. If its no longer required, I would consider that a retrograde step, rather than an improvement - doesn't seem to sit well with "Be Prepared". We had a similar form for School Ski Trips as well. To be honest, I'd have serious reservations about sending my son away on a 1-2 week camp with anybody, without them asking about any pre-existing medical conditions, allergies etc...

If you're not comfortable with the medical requirements, why not try a different camp, or switch to something like the YMCA program..Indian Chiefs or whatever. But I'd be amazed if they didn't require something similar.
LOL
Old Nov 29th 2012, 3:22 am
Banned

JRG67 is a name known to allJRG67 is a name known to allJRG67 is a name known to allJRG67 is a name known to allJRG67 is a name known to allJRG67 is a name known to allJRG67 is a name known to allJRG67 is a name known to allJRG67 is a name known to allJRG67 is a name known to allJRG67 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by zululady
wow and i thought Africa was a place to be scared of,our Boy Scouts dont need a medical not even a check up to go on camps,even out the country,all we sign is an indemnity that if anything happens we are responsible
sounds very OTT if you ask me
p.s I run a Troop of 40+ boys in South Africa
Interesting.
Old Nov 29th 2012, 3:23 am
Banned

Originally Posted by dlake02
Well, given that I had a long and detailed reply from one of the leaders telling me all the ails of BSA, how they had no choice but to "comply" or be denied insurance and therefore even basic medical assistance should anything go wrong, and how wrong and bad that is, I suspect that I am not alone in thinking this is a pile of pony.

So, I will do the bare minimum we can get away with, making sure, as I do every 6 months anyway, that my son is the correct height and weight for his age.

IF this camp was being run by the Texan gun-toting neo-cons/Errr sorry, BSA, directly, there is no way I'd be associated with the organisation. However, as I put it before, both our Troop and the local Council here have told BSA to F-off, and consequently we have a very normal, very good multi-cultural, Troop.
Good news.
Old Nov 29th 2012, 3:24 am
Banned

Nah - America is more scary. You've only got wild animals with teeth and venom.

Here, you've got idiots with guns with their "rights" enshrined by law.

It is a very scary place.
LOL
Old Nov 29th 2012, 3:26 am

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=zululady;10407797] Here in SA you dont need tetanus shots,

[UNQUOTE]

You mean they're not compulsory, or you're all immune...

[QUOTE}
they complete a health liability form stating what medical condition their child currently has & any medication they are on
[UNQUOTE]

Thats what is required here for anything less than 72 hours. Anything over 72, or involving scuba etc requires the medical.

The onus is on the parent then again we do not have govt medical scheme we pay for private medical aid so if there are any issues we take them straight to a pvt hospital & they are treated under the scheme
Lol - no government medical here either!!
Old Nov 29th 2012, 3:28 am
Banned

[QUOTE=Yorkieabroad;10407936]
Originally Posted by zululady
Here in SA you dont need tetanus shots,

[UNQUOTE]

You mean they're not compulsory, or you're all immune...

[QUOTE}
they complete a health liability form stating what medical condition their child currently has & any medication they are on
[UNQUOTE]

Thats what is required here for anything less than 72 hours. Anything over 72, or involving scuba etc requires the medical.

Lol - no government medical here either!!
Please elaborate on the doctor and the lollipop episode. I'm intrigued.
Old Nov 29th 2012, 3:29 am

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AmerLisa
Didn't even think of the allergy side of things! Wow the problems that could arise if a child were sent off with, for example, a nut allergy....
I arrange the campouts, and am one of the first-aiders for my young ones Pack, so I see all the forms. I was amazed first time I collected them - more than 2/3 of the Pack had either serious allergies, asthma or were on meds for something. Scary.
Old Nov 29th 2012, 3:31 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JRG67

Please elaborate on the doctor and the lollipop episode. I'm intrigued.
Really? Why?
Old Nov 29th 2012, 3:49 am
BE Forum Addict

GeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond repute

I arrange the campouts, and am one of the first-aiders for my young ones Pack, so I see all the forms. I was amazed first time I collected them - more than 2/3 of the Pack had either serious allergies, asthma or were on meds for something. Scary.
The first summer camp I went to, I was given a form with all the kids' main medical issues. Considering I was supposed to be working in maintenance rather than looking after kids, and then seeing all this personal stuff raised my eyebrows somewhat - I was actually uncomfortable reading it. And yes, the majority of the kids had some sort of issue that needed medication.

The second camp was more on an only if you need to know basis thankfully.
Old Nov 29th 2012, 4:57 am

N1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond repute

My daughter has been to 4-5 different summer camps now, they all require physicals. She has been at the YMCA for the last 2 summers, they require physicals every 2 years.

In a country where parents take out law suits over the slightest thing, organizations have got to make sure that the children in their care are fit enough to take part.

It's easy to say what a waste of time, money... when you have a fit and healthy kid. There are so many kids here who are overweight and sometimes the parents don't understand the risks. Making sure these kids get physicals gives doctors the opportunity to talk to the parents about the dangers associated and what they can do to reduce those risks.

My sister-in-law deals with this on a daily basis as a primary school teacher, and we've had her on the phone in tears telling us about some of the children in her care. They get training in spotting abuse and neglect, and in the course of her 20+ year career, I know that she has had to provide witness in having children taken into care by Social Services. I hope and trust that the US education system does the same here - school teachers pick up so much from their children. It never ends well - going into care and splitting from a family is a double-edged sword. Very, very sad.
Is she trained to spot cancer or diabetes in a child though?

Originally Posted by kodokan
That said, however, do consider just getting the standard medical done. I personally think it's a good idea to get kids comfortable with the notion that private parts are just body parts too, and that although special touching rules apply, it's nothing to get neurotic about. Women get quite cavalier about such things due to the screenings they have, but as UK men can go decades or a lifetime without any such contact, they sometimes leave going to see the doctor about 'that funny lump' too long out of embarrassment, with serious repercussions.
This is an excellent point. My husband hasn't been to the doctors in over 10 years, however scowls at me if I don't go for my annual exam

I broke a tooth soon after moving here. I was ripped off to the tune of $2000 for a root canal. I then needed posts which dentist A couldn't do so sent me to his "friend" that cost me another $4000.

Dentist B didn't do crowns. He sent me to dentist C who placed a Cerec crown for $6500. I got an infection. I was sent to Doctor D who charged me $200 just to walk in through the door, and then cost me nearly $100 in antibiotics.
You seriously need to get a new dentist, I've just recently had root canal, cost me $196 after insurance. My hubby had root canal a few months ago with a different dentist, $198.
Old Nov 29th 2012, 5:03 am
BE Enthusiast

dlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond repute

Nope they didn't. They'd been scared into believing that they had by a medical profession. Which benefits who ? The medical profession.

Having lived in France, I LOVE this:

Do not mention the word "allergy" : the French do not think they exist (except for serious and medically established cases) (same with hypo or hyperglycemia, etc...)
http://www.understandfrance.org/French/Dos&Donts.html
Old Nov 29th 2012, 5:49 am
Banned

Nope they didn't. They'd been scared into believing that they had by a medical profession. Which benefits who ? The medical profession.

Yes. And it's not entirely the doctors' faults. The pharmaceutical companies have A LOT of leverage in policy making in the USA>
The pharmaceutical companies have way too much money.
Old Nov 29th 2012, 5:57 am
BE Forum Addict

SarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond repute

And you know that how? You know what the allergies were? I am allergic to coffee and if I drink it I am violently ill. My daughter is allergic to gummies. If she eats them she is violently ill. Neither of us take medication. We just avoid those things. However, if she is with someone other than her father and I then we need to make sure they know this. She went on a campout with her Girl Scouts and I had to put on the form I was given that she is allergic to gummies and I didn't want her to accidentally have any and then be sick.
Old Nov 29th 2012, 6:05 am
Banned

Originally Posted by SarahG
And you know that how? You know what the allergies were? I am allergic to coffee and if I drink it I am violently ill. My daughter is allergic to gummies. If she eats them she is violently ill. Neither of us take medication. We just avoid those things. However, if she is with someone other than her father and I then we need to make sure they know this. She went on a campout with her Girl Scouts and I had to put on the form I was given that she is allergic to gummies and I didn't want her to accidentally have any and then be sick.
Sorry to hear about that. But surely in such cases, the parent of the child concerned could have a quiet word with the leader of the camp, without having all the other children forced to taking some dumb medical?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.