Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Boy Scouts Medical Requirements

Wikiposts

Boy Scouts Medical Requirements

Old Nov 29th 2012, 10:21 am
L2, GC, Surrey, OH, TX!

MsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Boy Scouts Medical Requirements

we have annual medicals done for each of the kids here. they do all their shots at the same time. my daughter hasnt seen the doc since her annual visit last year but she needs a 'medical declaration' form (required in Ohio) to go to preschool/school which they do based on the last annual.

in England - we took the kids for regular checkups - whatever the 'redbook' suggested - and it was considered normal - so we carried on here.
Old Nov 29th 2012, 10:24 am
BE Enthusiast

dlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MsElui
we have annual medicals done for each of the kids here. they do all their shots at the same time. my daughter hasnt seen the doc since her annual visit last year but she needs a 'medical declaration' form (required in Ohio) to go to preschool/school which they do based on the last annual.

in England - we took the kids for regular checkups - whatever the 'redbook' suggested - and it was considered normal - so we carried on here.
Ah the Redbook. We carried that half-way round the world. Regular doctor visits stop at age 6. I have it in front of me now.... My son is 11, not 5 which could explain the difference.

Anyway, sounds like I just have to go through the charade of compliance. Orders Must Be Obeyed. I'm sure we'll find some leeway with the doctor - after all, all he is interested in is creaming $250 from our medical insurance policy....
Old Nov 29th 2012, 10:34 am
Banned

JRG67 is a name known to allJRG67 is a name known to allJRG67 is a name known to allJRG67 is a name known to allJRG67 is a name known to allJRG67 is a name known to allJRG67 is a name known to allJRG67 is a name known to allJRG67 is a name known to allJRG67 is a name known to allJRG67 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by dlake02
Ah the Redbook. We carried that half-way round the world. Regular doctor visits stop at age 6. I have it in front of me now.... My son is 11, not 5 which could explain the difference.

Anyway, sounds like I just have to go through the charade of compliance. Orders Must Be Obeyed. I'm sure we'll find some leeway with the doctor - after all, all he is interested in is creaming $250 from our medical insurance policy....
Hi. You seem really stressed out, and who can blame you. If I were you, I would go to a spa for the weekend and forget about your problems for a short while.
Old Nov 29th 2012, 10:38 am

Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond repute

My gut feel, having lived here 2 years, is that people in the UK and EU in general are much more comfortable telling a jumped-up official or stupid rule-maker exactly where to get off. In both my personal and professional life here, I generally find that people obey, without question, rules, regulations, forms, mandates, etc, etc.
I've generally found the opposite. The moms I've met here are much more likely to raise petitions, start organizations and generally create a fuss if they feel something is wrong. In the UK equivalent it was much more "meh, what can you do". The exception to that is they will put up with the hell of drivers license offices and car registration places etc.

Last edited by Sue; Nov 29th 2012 at 1:54 pm. Reason: Oh bugger. I give up fixing the quote.
Old Nov 29th 2012, 10:40 am
The worse half of Weeze

Mr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond repute

Why do kids need to be glued to their parents 24/7 and 365/365 ? Cub Scouts here is SO lame with far too much parental involvement and molly-coddling.

We take two/three "family" holidays per year, one back to the UK to see family, two doing "things" whilst we are here. See the country, etc.

As he is an only-child, it is important that he learns to interact with other children, and Scouts and camp is a great place to do that - to learn independence from their parents. So, for 2-3 weeks per year, he LOVES to go out camping with other kids, get away from his parents, etc. Makes it all the more lovely when he comes back - after he's had a shower....

Didn't you used to go away several times a year with school, Cubs, Scouts, etc ? I know I did from age 5, as did my wife.....
It was an alternative suggestion because you're moaning like hell about the evils that have to be done to your well-adjusted child who hates needles and injections. If you dislike the thought of it that much, do it yourself. Go with a group of like minded people with kids and have your own "camp" where you could have way more fun. No need for medicals or anything else that doesn't fit your view of the world.

Or, bitch and moan on the internet about it, feel smug and morally superior about it, and then do what you're complaining about anyway. Sell out on something that has you so furious to run to an utterly pointless 13 pages (or however many this up to). Which is worse, those that do it because they follow the herd or those that will argue and argue about it but then do it anyway? But it's OK, you can lower yourself to do it now because you've complained on the internet. Yay for you.
Old Nov 29th 2012, 10:44 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JRG67
Hi. You seem really stressed out, and who can blame you. If I were you, I would go to a spa for the weekend and forget about your problems for a short while.
Yup. Worse things happen at sea.
Old Nov 29th 2012, 10:47 am

N1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond repute

Been here two years. Never been to see a GP. Isn't a pediatrician a bit OTT for a 5 minute check-up ? Bit like insisting that The Queen personally signs your next passport....

Yes - it's every part if away for over 72 hours. YMCA overnight camps require a psychological assessment in California !!!!

Now what is really winding me up about this is that a) when we told them at Cubs that son had been away for 4 or 5 night camps 3 times a year with Cubs in the UK since aged 5, they looked at us with utter disbelief ! The FIRST time some of the children had ever spent a night away from their parents was for 5th Grade Science camp !

So, he is used to being away from home, under canvass, etc, etc. Very well-adjusted child, highly independent, very much an individual with his own thoughts and a VERY healthy dis-regard for authority and rules, but a very strong sense of moral right-and-wrong and building some political views (aged 11 !) that are to the left of mine. I have hope for the future....

But, I'm obviously a nasty horrible ogre that really cares nothing for the medical health of his child and would gladly palm him off at the first opportunity.
We have never been asked for a psych exam and my daughter has been away with the YMCA numerous times
Old Nov 29th 2012, 11:08 am
BE Enthusiast

dlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
Yup. Worse things happen at sea.
Totally stressed out by several crazy things like this at the moment, quite frankly.

Got 4 weeks business travel coming up in January; UK, France, Spain. Can't wait.....

Frankly, the best thing about life right now is "Masterchef - The Professionals." And the other half of that bottle of Cab Sauv.
Old Nov 29th 2012, 11:10 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mr Weeze
It was an alternative suggestion because you're moaning like hell about the evils that have to be done to your well-adjusted child who hates needles and injections. If you dislike the thought of it that much, do it yourself. Go with a group of like minded people with kids and have your own "camp" where you could have way more fun. No need for medicals or anything else that doesn't fit your view of the world.

Or, bitch and moan on the internet about it, feel smug and morally superior about it, and then do what you're complaining about anyway. Sell out on something that has you so furious to run to an utterly pointless 13 pages (or however many this up to). Which is worse, those that do it because they follow the herd or those that will argue and argue about it but then do it anyway? But it's OK, you can lower yourself to do it now because you've complained on the internet. Yay for you.
Old Nov 29th 2012, 11:10 am
Banned

JRG67 is a name known to allJRG67 is a name known to allJRG67 is a name known to allJRG67 is a name known to allJRG67 is a name known to allJRG67 is a name known to allJRG67 is a name known to allJRG67 is a name known to allJRG67 is a name known to allJRG67 is a name known to allJRG67 is a name known to all

Totally stressed out by several crazy things like this at the moment, quite frankly.

Got 4 weeks business travel coming up in January; UK, France, Spain. Can't wait.....

Frankly, the best thing about life right now is "Masterchef - The Professionals." And the other half of that bottle of Cab Sauv.
Been there. Hang on in there until the hols
Old Nov 29th 2012, 11:13 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JRG67
Been there. Hang on in there until the hols
Hols - as we don't believe in anything to do with religion, we tend to think of them as a good excuse for yet another long-weekend away. San Diego this year - we've got tickets for "Jungle Bells" at the Zoo on the evening of the 25th December :-)

Can't wait....
Old Nov 29th 2012, 11:16 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds good
Old Nov 29th 2012, 11:18 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond repute

Mr Weeze..
Old Nov 29th 2012, 11:19 am
Banned

Hols - as we don't believe in anything to do with religion, we tend to think of them as a good excuse for yet another long-weekend away. San Diego this year - we've got tickets for "Jungle Bells" at the Zoo on the evening of the 25th December :-)

Can't wait....
Only a few more weeks. You can do it.
Old Nov 29th 2012, 11:23 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

On the other hand, sometimes people do need to work things through if they're struggling.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.