Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Boy Scouts Medical Requirements

Wikiposts

Boy Scouts Medical Requirements

Old Nov 29th 2012, 7:00 am
Banned

JRG67 is a name known to allJRG67 is a name known to allJRG67 is a name known to allJRG67 is a name known to allJRG67 is a name known to allJRG67 is a name known to allJRG67 is a name known to allJRG67 is a name known to allJRG67 is a name known to allJRG67 is a name known to allJRG67 is a name known to all
Default Re: Boy Scouts Medical Requirements

I hate to break it to you lady, but both my husand and I are doctors and so are our parents (boring I know).
WTF is this about DLake home schooling his children?? He's not Rick Santorum!!
The issue is whether a medical for a summer camp should be compulsary or not, and what should be included in said medical.
Old Nov 29th 2012, 7:01 am
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dlake02
Should I go and see if Dr Quack has a miracle cure for me ? Only $200 per visit at the local surgery....
Old Nov 29th 2012, 7:03 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Made me think of something we were saying the other day, "El Swanko restaurant", my daughter said, "Oh, where's that?"
Old Nov 29th 2012, 7:03 am
Banned

JRG67 is a name known to allJRG67 is a name known to allJRG67 is a name known to allJRG67 is a name known to allJRG67 is a name known to allJRG67 is a name known to allJRG67 is a name known to allJRG67 is a name known to allJRG67 is a name known to allJRG67 is a name known to allJRG67 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by kodokan
This is very true. Every time we go to the docs (so far, for well person checks and vaccinations for our Green Cards), we get asked what medications we're currently taking - not whether we're taking any, but which ones - and the nurse taking the notes is visibly surprised that two people in their 40s aren't taking anything.

(The other odd doctor question that threw me at first was 'Do you use alcohol?' I genuinely misunderstood and wondered briefly what they thought I was using it FOR - some kind of wound disinfectant, perhaps..? - and was just about to ask for clarification when I suddenly twigged they were asking it in the same way that they'd ask 'Do you use heroin?')
LOL! The last paragraph is very revealing.
Old Nov 29th 2012, 7:09 am
BE Forum Addict

kodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
They'll certainly do their level best to find something wrong.
Have I just been stunningly lucky with our medical practitioners? We bowled up here, signed up to the company insurance scheme, and asked them for a list of doctors/ dentists closest to our house that were in-network, so no personal recommendation, just admin and price convenience.

We've seen the adult doctor twice, and the kid doctor twice. Both are fantastic - competent professionals who treat us like grown-ups, not grubby pharmaceutical sales reps. The only thing they've mentioned - mentioned, not pushed like crack - is that the kids might want to consider a Hep A vac, as it's not done in the UK and we're now living in a slightly riskier area. They honestly didn't care overmuch when we declined (the poor kids had just had all the other school-mandated ones like Hep B and Meningitis, and I'd promised them a break from jabs).

Our dentist is the same - he did a full exam, commented on how well my British NHS silver fillings are lasting as they're mostly over 20 years, and suggested one tooth where the filling was failing and should be replaced with a crown. It was exactly the same tooth my Swiss dentist had had on a 'we'll get onto that one in the next year or so' watch list.

Why is everyone else going to such dreadful clinics?
Old Nov 29th 2012, 7:11 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Have I just been stunningly lucky with our medical practitioners?
It would appear so.
Old Nov 29th 2012, 7:13 am
BE Enthusiast

dlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond repute

I'm assuming then that DLake (and apologies to you, DL, I know this isn't your quote but I'm using you to make the point ) is homeschooling his son. Because otherwise DL is happily and unquestioningly having his kid's academics examined annually in a process which is almost exclusively to the benefit of the school rather than the individual child (because it will be a total surprise to the teacher who's had him all year that Little Johnny doesn't know how to do subtraction with regrouping. Not.).

Yet he doesn't want to have his kid's body examined, which could possibly reveal something underlying that the individual child would hugely benefit by knowing, and will definitely be a good step on the path to his kid developing a healthy doctor-patient relationship as he goes into adulthood.

All the ones I looked at had a qualified nurse in residence the whole time, who therefore had full access to that child's completed medical form and insurance details should a referral to the local doctor prove necessary. Like I said, a proper medical system in place, not quiet words with untrained adults. I'm guessing you don't have kids..? I can't otherwise see why you'd think any of this was a bad thing.
What utter tosh.

Home schooling is wrong - before visiting here I wasn't even aware it existed and frankly it should be banned.

The benefit to my son of being in a school is both personal and societal. He is being educated to meet he needs of society as set in place by national standards. I vehemently dislike private schools as they do not build social cohesion.

And frankly, in the Western World, the role of civilized government is to provide education, healthcare and social support.

I have faith and trust in the schools becuse their motivation is education and development, not money. In the UK, I have the same faith in the NHS or any of he other systems in the EU as they are not motivated by money.

But, I cannot trust the system here in the same way I would not trust any private corporation to make a long-term, societal judgement - their motivation and that of society are at odds.

Yet, in order for my son to attend a camp, it is not sufficient for me to say as his PARENT that he has allergy A or B, is fully up-to-date with immunisations.

And as a responsible parent, I can guarantee that if I had any doubts as to his well-being I would do the right thing - and that would be to get on a plane back to a doctor in the UK or France where I can trust that they will diagnose for the right reasons, not which nasty American pharmaceutical company is going to line their pockets !

Now, what is MOST surprising for me is that in a country that has them checked annually, Americans seem to be spineless and lacking the balls to stand up to this nonsense.

Last edited by dlake02; Nov 29th 2012 at 7:16 am.
Old Nov 29th 2012, 7:18 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Now, what is MOST surprising for me is that in a country that has them checked annually, Americans seem to be spineless and lacking the balls to stand up to this nonsense.

A steady diet of TV ads telling you all the things you've got wrong with you probably doesn't help.
Old Nov 29th 2012, 7:19 am
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

I'm worried about you old boy. It almost sounds like you do not appreciate your freedoms.
Old Nov 29th 2012, 7:21 am
BE Forum Addict

kodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JRG67
The issue is whether a medical for a summer camp should be compulsary or not, and what should be included in said medical.
No - the issue originally was:

'What do other parents do ? It seems that opting out of the medical will simply mean he can't go to summer camp (he has been camping with Cubs in England since he was 6 years old).

Thanks !'

Other parents have therefore been saying that yes, don't worry, this is pretty universal, explaining what we do, and how we viewed the whole thing. Ultimately, DL's son is getting the medical if he wants to go to camp, so we've been outlining our experiences and generally trying to put DL's mind at rest and put a positive spin on the whole thing, because it's helpful to reframe something compulsory into having at least some vague personal benefit rather than inculcating a burning resentment in the mind of an 11 yr old.

Well, that's what I've been doing, as have several others. You, on the other hand, appear to have been amusing yourself posting emoticons and making juvenile cracks. How about some helpful information from a real doctor, then - in which country, what do medicals consist of there, how many have you ever carried out personally on pre-adolescent boys, how many have ever revealed a condition the parents were unaware of? Or are you the rare medical professional arguing themselves out of a job by saying that all conditions can simply be detected by parents looking at a child, and that routine check ups on apparently healthy kids are a total waste of time? Which would be interesting, given every developed country in the world appears to disagree with you.
Old Nov 29th 2012, 7:25 am
Banned

What utter tosh.

Home schooling is wrong - before visiting here I wasn't even aware it existed and frankly it should be banned.

The benefit to my son of being in a school is both personal and societal. He is being educated to meet he needs of society as set in place by national standards. I vehemently dislike private schools as they do not build social cohesion.

And frankly, in the Western World, the role of civilized government is to provide education, healthcare and social support.

I have faith and trust in the schools becuse their motivation is education and development, not money. In the UK, I have the same faith in the NHS or any of he other systems in the EU as they are not motivated by money.

But, I cannot trust the system here in the same way I would not trust any private corporation to make a long-term, societal judgement - their motivation and that of society are at odds.

Yet, in order for my son to attend a camp, it is not sufficient for me to say as his PARENT that he has allergy A or B, is fully up-to-date with immunisations.

And as a responsible parent, I can guarantee that if I had any doubts as to his well-being I would do the right thing - and that would be to get on a plane back to a doctor in the UK or France where I can trust that they will diagnose for the right reasons, not which nasty American pharmaceutical company is going to line their pockets !

+1 America is not the land of the free, and everyone wants to conform. I love the English for their stronger sense of individuality.
Old Nov 29th 2012, 7:29 am
Banned

'What do other parents do ? It seems that opting out of the medical will simply mean he can't go to summer camp (he has been camping with Cubs in England since he was 6 years old).

Thanks !'

Other parents have therefore been saying that yes, don't worry, this is pretty universal, explaining what we do, and how we viewed the whole thing. Ultimately, DL's son is getting the medical if he wants to go to camp, so we've been outlining our experiences and generally trying to put DL's mind at rest and put a positive spin on the whole thing, because it's helpful to reframe something compulsory into having at least some vague personal benefit rather than inculcating a burning resentment in the mind of an 11 yr old.

Well, that's what I've been doing, as have several others. You, on the other hand, appear to have been amusing yourself posting emoticons and making juvenile cracks. How about some helpful information from a real doctor, then - in which country, what do medicals consist of there, how many have you ever carried out personally on pre-adolescent boys, how many have ever revealed a condition the parents were unaware of? Or are you the rare medical professional arguing themselves out of a job by saying that all conditions can simply be detected by parents looking at a child, and that routine check ups on apparently healthy kids are a total waste of time? Which would be interesting, given every developed country in the world appears to disagree with you.
I doubt you have the intellectual capacity to fully understand any of the issues you out-line above.
How I like to spend the little free time I have should be of no consequence to you. And I LOVE emoticons as they are very KAWAII CUTE
Old Nov 29th 2012, 7:32 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
It would appear so.
I've been very satisfied with the medical professionals I've used here. It's the system of health care access that's insanely broken. But I do think you have to do way more legwork here to work out how to use the system to your advantage. The NHS it ain't.
Old Nov 29th 2012, 7:35 am
Banned

Originally Posted by Giantaxe
I've been very satisfied with the medical professionals I've used here. It's the system of health care access that's insanely broken. But I do think you have to do way more legwork here to work out how to use the system to your advantage. The NHS it ain't.
+1
Old Nov 29th 2012, 7:37 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Thanks !'

This is a bit weird. Sounds like you're saying we all have to go along with something we know isn't necessary just to make a kid feel better about it.

I think there is far too much screening/testing here, there have been serious concerns raised in the UK about too many mammograms and last time I went for a smear the doctor actually admitted that smears aren't necessary every year but you might as well get one because that's the system.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.