Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Boy Scouts Medical Requirements

Wikiposts

Boy Scouts Medical Requirements

Old Nov 28th 2012, 3:18 pm
Banned

JRG67 is a name known to allJRG67 is a name known to allJRG67 is a name known to allJRG67 is a name known to allJRG67 is a name known to allJRG67 is a name known to allJRG67 is a name known to allJRG67 is a name known to allJRG67 is a name known to allJRG67 is a name known to allJRG67 is a name known to all
Default Re: Boy Scouts Medical Requirements

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter
The rationale, here, is that the child is away from home and the camp is responsible for the child. I'm pretty sure insurance companies require it. The camp where my son goes (not the Boy Scouts, I dislike their politics and some of their values) requires proof of a physical check up within the last two years. They also check them for fever and such when they arrive, because ill children are often sent to camp (the reservations are made and paid for well in advance, so the parents aren't going to make the child miss camp because of a fever or something, so the little darlings often bring their microbes with them). The proof is simply a doctor's record, they don't require that their own forms be filled out. At the check up they do height/weight, blood pressure, eyes, ears, listen to chest, etc. Given the number of hugely overweight children here, I don't find it out of order. And yes, at physical exams boys are checked for signs that puberty is proceeding normally.Frankly, if it isn't, I would want to know. There is a good deal of hypochondria in this country, but a simple physical exam before sending your child off in the hands of strangers really isn't a big deal. A simple physical exam for a child once a year to make sure everything as it should be doesn't strike me as hypochondria, either. If a camp is requiring its own "special" exam, and doesn't accept the normal medical check up that one might get for one's child anyway so that you have to get two, then it is a bit of a pain, but I've never met that, personally.
I understand this. However, who is to say that the kids aren't engaging in sex? Why is this issue ignored (taboo)?
Old Nov 28th 2012, 3:32 pm
Forum Regular

_Clueless$y$t€m_ has much to be proud of_Clueless$y$t€m_ has much to be proud of_Clueless$y$t€m_ has much to be proud of_Clueless$y$t€m_ has much to be proud of_Clueless$y$t€m_ has much to be proud of_Clueless$y$t€m_ has much to be proud of_Clueless$y$t€m_ has much to be proud of_Clueless$y$t€m_ has much to be proud of_Clueless$y$t€m_ has much to be proud of_Clueless$y$t€m_ has much to be proud of_Clueless$y$t€m_ has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by JRG67
Why don't the American summer camps test for STDs if the purpose of a medical is prevention rather than cure?

Frankly, the whole idea of a medical for a summer camp seems preposterous to me.
As preposterous as a middle aged woman still up posting inane ramblings at 4am on a Thursday morning? Might be a sign for a medical of your own..get those meds adjusted!!
Your Nazi references weren't amusing first time around and certainly haven't become any more witty third or fourth time!
Old Nov 28th 2012, 3:35 pm
Banned

JRG67 is a name known to allJRG67 is a name known to allJRG67 is a name known to allJRG67 is a name known to allJRG67 is a name known to allJRG67 is a name known to allJRG67 is a name known to allJRG67 is a name known to allJRG67 is a name known to allJRG67 is a name known to allJRG67 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by KTBFFH12
As preposterous as a middle aged woman still up posting inane ramblings at 4am on a Thursday morning? Might be a sign for a medical of your own..get those meds adjusted!!
Your Nazi references weren't amusing first time around and certainly haven't become any more witty third or fourth time!
Miaow!
Old Nov 28th 2012, 3:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

dlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond repute

Tim Jeal, who wrote the biography Baden-Powell, argued that Baden-Powell's distrust of communism led to his implicit support, through naïveté, of fascism. In 1939 Baden-Powell noted in his diary: "Lay up all day. Read Mein Kampf. A wonderful book, with good ideas on education, health, propaganda, organisation etc. – and ideals which Hitler does not practise himself."[7]:550 Baden-Powell admired Benito Mussolini early in the Italian fascist leader's career.

Some very early Scouting "Thanks" badges had a swastika symbol on them.[45] According to biographer Michael Rosenthal, Baden-Powell used the swastika because he was a Nazi sympathiser. Jeal, however, argues that Baden-Powell was ignorant of the symbol's growing association with Nazism and that he used the symbol for its centuries-old meaning of "good luck" in India. Also, Baden-Powell was named by the Nazis in "The Black Book of people to be arrested during the conquest of Great Britain. Scouting was regarded as a dangerous spy organisation by the Nazis.[46] Finally, when Nazi use of the swastika became well-known, the Scouts stopped using it.

Don't send your son to summer camp!
Frankly, I agree with you. If it wasn't for the enlightened views of the Santa Clara Council and the Troop my son is a member of, the right-wing, neo-con religious morons that are in charge of BSA would take both bores of my wrath.

The Scout Association in the UK distanced itself fully from Baden-Powell and most of his militaristic tendencies a long while ago and is totally different organsation from what the Americans have done to it. Having spent nearly 35 years associated with Scouts in the UK in some way, the BSA makes me weep.

My son's Troop - EXCELLENT. They have a healthy dis-regard for the nonsense that comes out of BSA and consequently a very strong Troop of over 90 boys from all races and religions (including none as in my case).

Now, back to the medical question. Looks like I DO actually have the ability to tell the doc that some "procedures" are unacceptable. The requirement is the docs assessment that my son is able to take part in a week's camp - not that he is a world-class cycling champion/all-star fighter/etc.

Still think it's wrong. I'd much rather that rich/healthy Americans had 50% less healthcare and the savings spent on a universal service for those that currently have nothing, but hey-ho, that puts my views out-of-line with 47% of the country.
Old Nov 28th 2012, 3:44 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by KTBFFH12
Just what I would expect from jerry springer fan! LOL! Get your facts right!
Old Nov 28th 2012, 3:47 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by dlake02
Frankly, I agree with you. If it wasn't for the enlightened views of the Santa Clara Council and the Troop my son is a member of, the right-wing, neo-con religious morons that are in charge of BSA would take both bores of my wrath.

The Scout Association in the UK distanced itself fully from Baden-Powell and most of his militaristic tendencies a long while ago and is totally different organsation from what the Americans have done to it. Having spent nearly 35 years associated with Scouts in the UK in some way, the BSA makes me weep.

My son's Troop - EXCELLENT. They have a healthy dis-regard for the nonsense that comes out of BSA and consequently a very strong Troop of over 90 boys from all races and religions (including none as in my case).

Now, back to the medical question. Looks like I DO actually have the ability to tell the doc that some "procedures" are unacceptable. The requirement is the docs assessment that my son is able to take part in a week's camp - not that he is a world-class cycling champion/all-star fighter/etc.

Still think it's wrong. I'd much rather that rich/healthy Americans had 50% less healthcare and the savings spent on a universal service for those that currently have nothing, but hey-ho, that puts my views out-of-line with 47% of the country.
That was pasted from a wikipedia entry.

I hope your son enjoys his vacation, no matter what he/you decide to do.
Old Nov 28th 2012, 3:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

dlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond repute

The rationale, here, is that the child is away from home and the camp is responsible for the child. I'm pretty sure insurance companies require it. The camp where my son goes (not the Boy Scouts, I dislike their politics and some of their values) requires proof of a physical check up within the last two years. They also check them for fever and such when they arrive, because ill children are often sent to camp (the reservations are made and paid for well in advance, so the parents aren't going to make the child miss camp because of a fever or something, so the little darlings often bring their microbes with them). The proof is simply a doctor's record, they don't require that their own forms be filled out. At the check up they do height/weight, blood pressure, eyes, ears, listen to chest, etc. Given the number of hugely overweight children here, I don't find it out of order. And yes, at physical exams boys are checked for signs that puberty is proceeding normally.Frankly, if it isn't, I would want to know. There is a good deal of hypochondria in this country, but a simple physical exam before sending your child off in the hands of strangers really isn't a big deal. A simple physical exam for a child once a year to make sure everything as it should be doesn't strike me as hypochondria, either. If a camp is requiring its own "special" exam, and doesn't accept the normal medical check up that one might get for one's child anyway so that you have to get two, then it is a bit of a pain, but I've never met that, personally.

Nope. BSA of Texas (and therein lies the problem...) REQUIRES that every child and leader has a medical every 12 months to IT'S standards on IT'S forms.

No standard doctor form or other medical will be accepted ( should that be "vill be accepted ?")

And they dictate religious belief and sexual orientation.
Old Nov 28th 2012, 3:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

That was pasted from a wikipedia entry.

I hope your son enjoys his vacation, no matter what he/you decide to do.
I know.... :-)
Old Nov 28th 2012, 3:50 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

I understand this. However, who is to say that the kids aren't engaging in sex? Why is this issue ignored (taboo)?
I don't understand what you are talking about, frankly.

Adolescents who are sexually active obviously need the same check ups the rest of us get. It's all part of the education and medical process. Who is ignoring it?
Old Nov 28th 2012, 3:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

kodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond repute

I'm sure this'll be fine. Doctors are quite au fait with these forms, and the largely pointless nature of them. There's sure to be some flexibility - my kids' forms said that the medical had to be completed within a certain period prior to camp, 3 months or some such (so any time March to June). But my son had had a medical in Feb as part of enrolling at the doctors and filling in a missing vaccination for school, so the doc just phoned the camp and asked if putting down the results from that physical would be ok instead, as our insurance only covers the cost once a year. Everyone was completely fine with that; they're aware that for 99% of kids it is, as you say, a CYA exercise.

That said, however, do consider just getting the standard medical done. I personally think it's a good idea to get kids comfortable with the notion that private parts are just body parts too, and that although special touching rules apply, it's nothing to get neurotic about. Women get quite cavalier about such things due to the screenings they have, but as UK men can go decades or a lifetime without any such contact, they sometimes leave going to see the doctor about 'that funny lump' too long out of embarrassment, with serious repercussions.
Old Nov 28th 2012, 3:53 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

And they dictate religious belief and sexual orientation.
I know. This is why I never sent my son there. Their beliefs run contrary to everything I have taught my son. So their camp stuff was never an issue, never would have got that close to them.

If they also have their own medical requirements, that is a separate issue from whether or not physicals are absurd for kids per se.
Old Nov 28th 2012, 3:54 pm
Banned

I don't understand what you are talking about, frankly.

Adolescents who are sexually active obviously need the same check ups the rest of us get. It's all part of the education and medical process. Who is ignoring it?
From what I gather, adolescents going on summer camps in the states HAVE to take a medical that does not include STD/AIDS testing. The whole thing is so arbitrary as to be ridiculous.

I don't understand why you don't understand.
Old Nov 28th 2012, 3:55 pm

From what I gather, adolescents going on summer camps in the states HAVE to take a medical that does not include STD/AIDS testing. The whole thing is so arbitrary as to be ridiculous.

Why would you mandate STD testing for children? It isn't arbitrary. Kids get a physical that cover the usual sorts of things that are tested for at their age, be it 8 or 16. Compulsory testing for STDs isn't on the cards for anyone, adult or adolescent, camp or no camp. You might as well complain that they aren't tested for autism or bipolar disorder or leukemia in order to go to camp.

Last edited by Lion in Winter; Nov 28th 2012 at 3:57 pm.
Old Nov 28th 2012, 3:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

kodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond repute

Probably because the rest of us were talking about 11 and 12 yr olds. My kids' camp only takes kids from 6-12 years; I rather hope that they don't need STD/ AIDS tests and aren't sneaking into each other's cabins. Although I think the other 7 campers and the two counsellors in my son's cabin might've put them off.
Old Nov 28th 2012, 3:59 pm

Originally Posted by kodokan
Probably because the rest of us were talking about 11 and 12 yr olds. My kids' camp only takes kids from 6-12 years; I rather hope that they don't need STD/ AIDS tests and aren't sneaking into each other's cabins. Although I think the other 7 campers and the two counsellors in my son's cabin might've put them off.
The camp my son goes to doesn't test the teenagers for std either. In fact, the camp itself doesn't test for anything. The kids get a routine physical from a doctor - their own doctor. If a doctor during a routine physical saw evidence of infection of any sort, presumably he/she would do something about it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.