Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Bound to be controversial

Bound to be controversial

Old Oct 9th 2005, 6:59 am
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Bound to be controversial

Originally Posted by CaliforniaBride
Ok Ray. Let's do this slowly. I magine the same situation in the UK. What would be the response?
Note to Ray: I don't have to agree with you
What would happen in the UK has nothing to do with it ..

I don't want you to agree with me ..I want you to tell me how you think it should have been handled...
Old Oct 9th 2005, 8:19 am
Account Closed

Angry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to behold

OK heres the deal. Everytime as a copper you do a traffic stop you have NO IDEA what you are going to face. Every single person in the car you have stopped is a potentially deadly threat and that goes for anywhere not just in the US. Dont believe me? Consider the three Leeds coppers who made a stop on a vehicle last year. The car had a single male in it. So here we have 3 cops one male...easy right? Wrong! The guy pulled a hand gun and shot all 3 killing one. And that, my friends, was in Leeds, England. Some of the most viscious and physically difficult arrests have been on people you wouldnt normally look twice at.

In my professional opinion the copper handled it to a T. The female driver failed to comply following several reasonable and clear commands to do so. For all the copper new she could have been about to pull a gun, knife, pepper spray or attempt to run him over. When someone has such a confrontational attitude to the most mundane request - ie please show me your drivers license - then they are capabale of anything. He ended the confrontation with minimal threat of injury to all involved.

Last edited by Angry White Pyjamas; Oct 9th 2005 at 8:25 am.
Old Oct 9th 2005, 8:24 am
Account Closed

Angry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to behold

Ok Ray. Let's do this slowly. I magine the same situation in the UK. What would be the response?

Note to Ray: I don't have to agree with you

The response in england may well have ended the same. A number of forces are now trialling tasers and have used them. If not then she certainly would have risked a face full of CS followed by arrest for obstruction. And yes, it would have been a justifiable use of force. I dont care how "right" someone thinks they are you dont get confrontational and expect the copper to just say "Oh ok madam you are obviously right. Please go on your way."

I got a bullshit ticket the other day for making an "Improper right turn". The cop wanted to stick it on me and nothing I could have said would change it. My response? "Thank you officer. Have a nice day." and walk away. If you genuinely think the copper has it wrong, take the ticket and challenge it in court. Screaming and shouting and refusing to do as requested will NOT make him change his mind.
Old Oct 9th 2005, 8:33 am
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

Question-is it the same in the UK, that domestics are not a popular kind of call to answer? Reason here is that you never know how those are going to end up.
Old Oct 9th 2005, 8:41 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by cindyabs
Question-is it the same in the UK, that domestics are not a popular kind of call to answer? Reason here is that you never know how those are going to end up.

Too bloody right. I used to hate domestic shouts. Never know what you were getting into, who the real victim was and the emotions were the highest you've ever seen. And if there were kids involved it was 10 times as bad. Ive been to some where you can calm it down and get them talking to each other Ive been to others where you literally end up physically restraining and locking someone up (and not always the bloke) just to stop them attempting murder. Then you have to deal with the little 'uns who have just witnessed their mam and dad beating the sh!t out of each other and now mam or dad is getting carted away in the back of a police car....not good at all.
Old Oct 9th 2005, 8:48 am
CA to TX to Jamaica

CaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Partystar
How many babies have you had without drugs?!?!
Just the one. And it's grossly overrated.
Old Oct 9th 2005, 8:49 am
CA to TX to Jamaica

CaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ray
What would happen in the UK has nothing to do with it ..

I don't want you to agree with me ..I want you to tell me how you think it should have been handled...
Nah you just want to bully me into submission.
Old Oct 9th 2005, 8:53 am
CA to TX to Jamaica

Originally Posted by Angry White Pyjamas
The response in england may well have ended the same. A number of forces are now trialling tasers and have used them. If not then she certainly would have risked a face full of CS followed by arrest for obstruction. And yes, it would have been a justifiable use of force. I dont care how "right" someone thinks they are you dont get confrontational and expect the copper to just say "Oh ok madam you are obviously right. Please go on your way."

I got a bullshit ticket the other day for making an "Improper right turn". The cop wanted to stick it on me and nothing I could have said would change it. My response? "Thank you officer. Have a nice day." and walk away. If you genuinely think the copper has it wrong, take the ticket and challenge it in court. Screaming and shouting and refusing to do as requested will NOT make him change his mind.
Reasoned response. I believe that US police officers use force before UK officers do. I know thats part of the training but it's still different.

I agree with what the response from the driver should have been. But if tazering somebody for being mouthy is a punishment then that means the officer is playing judge, jury and executioner.

I also think that we are Brits expecting to see a Brit attitude towards police officers when this is America where the attitude is very different. Consent of the people and such like.
Old Oct 9th 2005, 9:13 am

gruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond repute

A case in point about being nice and smiling, my wife got pulled over for speeding for the second time this year (Nutter in a Mini Cooper) She smiled and said sorry, the local cop made a joke about the size of her speedo and gave her a ticket for not wearing a seatbelt instead (no points) There's no way you're going to win with them if you get arsey about it, especially bored local cops in low crime areas.

Last edited by gruffbrown; Oct 9th 2005 at 10:00 am. Reason: 're
Old Oct 9th 2005, 9:14 am
Account Closed

I believe that US police officers use force before UK officers do. I know thats part of the training but it's still different.
Not really. Certainly british officers have less options when it comes to force and so try to defuse a situation verbally first but in the event thats not possible then force is still an option.

I agree with what the response from the driver should have been. But if tazering somebody for being mouthy is a punishment then that means the officer is playing judge, jury and executioner.
As far as I could tell the officer in this case gave her every opportunity to co-operate verbally. She chose not to. It was not her mouthy attitude that appears to have got her tasered but her uniwillingness to get out of the car. She could at any moment have sped off then you have a situation with a car chase, potential harm to innocent motorists and bystanders and also to the officers and driver herself. In the event she was shaken up but everyone was completely unharmed. A safe, minimal force outcome. I would imagine she argued and was unwilling to cooperate since she was more than aware she was driving on a suspended license and hence faced arrest. Considering that and her generaly demeanour I think its probably fair to say she would have attempted evasion if she had the opportunity.

I also think that we are Brits expecting to see a Brit attitude towards police officers when this is America where the attitude is very different. Consent of the people and such like.
Yep British police are far more civil and polite. To a point. Believe me I and my colleagues would and did cease to become polite if neccessary.

Last edited by Angry White Pyjamas; Oct 9th 2005 at 9:16 am.
Old Oct 9th 2005, 9:34 am
A lion in your lap

elfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Angry White Pyjamas
Consider the three Leeds coppers who made a stop on a vehicle last year. The car had a single male in it. So here we have 3 cops one male...easy right? Wrong! The guy pulled a hand gun and shot all 3 killing one. And that, my friends, was in Leeds, England.
not trying to make any kind of point here, but the shooter happened to be an American in that case:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/4058795.stm
Old Oct 9th 2005, 9:47 am
Back where I belong!

Location: Melbourne, Oz to Banbury, England to El Mirage, AZ & now back to England!
Partystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond repute

Just the one. And it's grossly overrated.
I have one too, a little boy, he's now 15 months old. It was the best experience of my entire life & I've had a superb, fun filled life too!
Old Oct 9th 2005, 9:53 am
Back where I belong!

Location: Melbourne, Oz to Banbury, England to El Mirage, AZ & now back to England!
Partystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gruffbrown
A case in point about being nice and smiling, my wife got pulled over for speeding for the second time this year (Nutter in a Mini Cooper) She smiled and said sorry, the local cop made a joke about the size of her speedo and gave her a ticket for not wearing a seatbelt instead (no points) There's no way your going to win with them if you get arsey about it, especially bored local cops in low crime areas.
I think being arsey just makes them more determined to give you the biggest fine possible!!!
Old Oct 9th 2005, 10:00 am
Back where I belong!

Originally Posted by elfman
not trying to make any kind of point here, but the shooter happened to be an American in that case:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/4058795.stm
That is awful. It made me feel sick.
Old Oct 9th 2005, 10:03 am
CA to TX to Jamaica

Originally Posted by Partystar
I have one too, a little boy, he's now 15 months old. It was the best experience of my entire life & I've had a superb, fun filled life too!
I think you missed my point. Natural birth being overrated, not the product.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.