Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Bad time to be a Brit in America?

Bad time to be a Brit in America?

Old Aug 11th 2006, 9:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

Tbag has a reputation beyond reputeTbag has a reputation beyond reputeTbag has a reputation beyond reputeTbag has a reputation beyond reputeTbag has a reputation beyond reputeTbag has a reputation beyond reputeTbag has a reputation beyond reputeTbag has a reputation beyond reputeTbag has a reputation beyond reputeTbag has a reputation beyond reputeTbag has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Bad time to be a Brit in America?

Originally Posted by Tolos
Well I'll have to find one when I get home. John McCririck's arse comes to mind.

Just kidding ladies, prepare to be blown away by the almighty rugged looks of Tolos...coming soon.
ooh err misses......... a virtual toy boy...........how lovely
Old Aug 11th 2006, 9:24 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

britvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tbag
ooh err misses......... a virtual toy boy...........how lovely
I'm getting a bit hot ere might well have to go and do what TruBrit said.
Old Aug 11th 2006, 9:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

Tbag has a reputation beyond reputeTbag has a reputation beyond reputeTbag has a reputation beyond reputeTbag has a reputation beyond reputeTbag has a reputation beyond reputeTbag has a reputation beyond reputeTbag has a reputation beyond reputeTbag has a reputation beyond reputeTbag has a reputation beyond reputeTbag has a reputation beyond reputeTbag has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by britvic
I'm getting a bit hot ere might well have to go and do what TruBrit said.
next it'll be virtual knicker throwing.........

Till later all......off out for yummy Japanese........Have fun

Last edited by Tbag; Aug 11th 2006 at 9:35 pm.
Old Aug 12th 2006, 9:24 am
I'm back!

Just Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tolos
Incidentally, let me make this perfectly clear. If I was ever on board a plane, and saw some muslim looking guy in the middle of something suspicious (ie a battery and some wires) I have no shame in saying I would beat the living shit out of the guy until his face resembled lasagne.
What if he didn't look Muslim-looking? What if it was a white guy? Or a woman? Are you limiting your actions to only people who "look Muslim" (whatever that means) or to anyone who looks suspicious?

~ Jenney
Old Aug 12th 2006, 12:29 pm
You Are All Diseased

rincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Married2aYank
I was wondering if anyone thinks that in light of these terrorist threats coming from England, and of course the idiots who are doing it being English, is going to cast all Brits in a bad light in the USA? I dont want to be viewed as a suspicious outsider over here and be subject to harsher treatment from whoever just because I have a thick accent like the Muslims they broadcasted in their suicide videos on TV last night.
I agree with other posters here. British Muslims will be the most effected.

Most people in my office were concerned that I may have family flying over but luckily they won't be flying for a few months.
Old Aug 12th 2006, 4:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

cinnabar has a reputation beyond reputecinnabar has a reputation beyond reputecinnabar has a reputation beyond reputecinnabar has a reputation beyond reputecinnabar has a reputation beyond reputecinnabar has a reputation beyond reputecinnabar has a reputation beyond reputecinnabar has a reputation beyond reputecinnabar has a reputation beyond reputecinnabar has a reputation beyond reputecinnabar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jenney & Mark
What if he didn't look Muslim-looking? What if it was a white guy? Or a woman? Are you limiting your actions to only people who "look Muslim" (whatever that means) or to anyone who looks suspicious?

~ Jenney
My ex-boss used to travel to the Middle East a lot on business. She said it always freaked her out when she was seated next to Arab women in full black jilbabs. She said they could have anything under there, and the security people at the Middle East airports don't really check the women.

My own experience was totally different on the one occasion I went to Dubai on holiday. I don't know about the more fundamentalist Muslim nations, but in Dubai the security people were being more strict with the women in large loose clothing and they were all ushered into a women-only area for body searches

Seems to me that countries like the UK don't harass such women for fear of being called racist, whereas in their own countries they are singled out routinely.
Old Aug 12th 2006, 5:23 pm
I'm back!

Just Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cinnabar
My own experience was totally different on the one occasion I went to Dubai on holiday. I don't know about the more fundamentalist Muslim nations, but in Dubai the security people were being more strict with the women in large loose clothing and they were all ushered into a women-only area for body searches
I was more interested in the fact that Tolos said he would beat someone to a bloody pulp who was suspicious and "Muslim-looking".

Suspicious-looking I can understand, but I'm not sure what qualifies as "Muslim-looking". Just because someone wears a hijab or something similar doesn't mean they're Muslim. Likewise, Muslims aren't always Arabic or wear turbans or have long beards. That's why I questioned his comments.

~ Jenney
Old Aug 12th 2006, 5:34 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jenney & Mark
I was more interested in the fact that Tolos said he would beat someone to a bloody pulp who was suspicious and "Muslim-looking".
Unfair comment Jenney ..he did add something like ..playing with batteries and wires... that changed the whole story ...
Old Aug 12th 2006, 5:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

Patrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond repute

All I have got from this is that each American I talk to praises the British security and tells me that if it had ben over the attacks would have gone through. From what I have seen on my many flights to the UK they are probably right. I found security at US airports lax compared to the UK ones.
You have to remember that there are lots of US citizens who are as suspicious.
Old Aug 12th 2006, 6:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Married2aYank
I was wondering if anyone thinks that in light of these terrorist threats coming from England, and of course the idiots who are doing it being English, is going to cast all Brits in a bad light in the USA?
In ethnic terms, recent reports show that only one of them was fully English, one was half-English and half-Iranian, and the other twenty-odd were Pakistanis with British citizenship.

I like to think most Americans realise the threat is not likely to be found in the average "English" Somerset tea-room. Let's not forget that while the term "British" is a legal term and can be endowed on someone, the term "English" relates to an ethnic grouping teutonic in base, as opposed to say "Irish" which relates to the Celtic ethnic group.
Old Aug 12th 2006, 6:26 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by tableland
In ethnic terms, recent reports show that only one of them was fully English, one was half-English and half-Iranian, and the other twenty-odd were Pakistanis with British citizenship.

I like to think most Americans realise the threat is not likely to be found in the average "English" Somerset tea-room. Let's not forget that while the term "British" is a legal term and can be endowed on someone, the term "English" relates to an ethnic grouping teutonic in base, as opposed to say "Irish" which relates to the Celtic ethnic group.
What about the Welsh!

I think most Americans use the term British and English interchangably, some are perhaps aware of the Pakistani Community in the UK, but would not use either term to include them as a general term.

Wonder how long the VWP will last?
Old Aug 12th 2006, 6:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

cinnabar has a reputation beyond reputecinnabar has a reputation beyond reputecinnabar has a reputation beyond reputecinnabar has a reputation beyond reputecinnabar has a reputation beyond reputecinnabar has a reputation beyond reputecinnabar has a reputation beyond reputecinnabar has a reputation beyond reputecinnabar has a reputation beyond reputecinnabar has a reputation beyond reputecinnabar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tableland

Phew, what a relief ... I think I can qualify as "Irish" there (dark hair, blue eyes, Irish grandparents on one side).

Fortunately there have never been any Irish terrorists, as far as Americans are concerned, so I should be fine.

Begorrah.
Old Aug 12th 2006, 6:42 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by cinnabar
Fortunately there have never been any Irish terrorists, as far as Americans are concerned, so I should be fine.
Everytime I hear US Politicians bleat about world support for the was against terrorism I can not help think how times have changed.
Old Aug 12th 2006, 7:06 pm
The Unmod

paddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler
What about the Welsh!

I think most Americans use the term British and English interchangably, some are perhaps aware of the Pakistani Community in the UK, but would not use either term to include them as a general term.

Wonder how long the VWP will last?
You're kidding right? Britain and England are both in London. You foreigners are so ignorant. Pity you didn't get the opportunity to go to our schools!
Old Aug 12th 2006, 7:11 pm
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Boiler
Everytime I hear US Politicians bleat about world support for the was against terrorism I can not help think how times have changed.

haha wasn't it the red carpet treatment for gerry adams

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.