Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Bad time to be a Brit in America?

Bad time to be a Brit in America?

Old Aug 11th 2006, 6:40 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Bad time to be a Brit in America?

Originally Posted by Texas_Dave
I wonder how the allocation of resources will change with the sudden rise in 'home grown' terrorists?
]
The domestic will double that for sure ...for a while anyway ..
Old Aug 11th 2006, 7:10 pm
Moaning Like A Pro

Tolos has a reputation beyond reputeTolos has a reputation beyond reputeTolos has a reputation beyond reputeTolos has a reputation beyond reputeTolos has a reputation beyond reputeTolos has a reputation beyond reputeTolos has a reputation beyond reputeTolos has a reputation beyond reputeTolos has a reputation beyond reputeTolos has a reputation beyond reputeTolos has a reputation beyond repute

I think it's quite telling that 90% of the people I've encountered aren't all that interested in it, or even aware of it. Like someone said earlier, unless it happens on US soil, the yanks don't give a shit.
Old Aug 11th 2006, 7:18 pm
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tolos
I think it's quite telling that 90% of the people I've encountered aren't all that interested in it, or even aware of it. Like someone said earlier, unless it happens on US soil, the yanks don't give a shit.
This greatly depends on who you hang with.

Since I work with a very international group of colleagues, and we travel on business around the world, we definitely care. Since I live in an anti-war liberal university town, a LOT of people in my city.
Old Aug 11th 2006, 7:20 pm
Moaning Like A Pro

Tolos has a reputation beyond reputeTolos has a reputation beyond reputeTolos has a reputation beyond reputeTolos has a reputation beyond reputeTolos has a reputation beyond reputeTolos has a reputation beyond reputeTolos has a reputation beyond reputeTolos has a reputation beyond reputeTolos has a reputation beyond reputeTolos has a reputation beyond reputeTolos has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by snowbunny

Since I work with a very international group of colleagues, and we travel on business around the world, we definitely care. Since I live in an anti-war liberal university town, a LOT of people in my city.
Eugh...you said the L-word. Wash your mouth out.

I'm surrounded by white collar Houstonites, and right now it ranks next to Michael Bolton's breakup in terms of newsworthy topics of conversation.
Old Aug 11th 2006, 7:23 pm
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

Eugh...you said the L-word. Wash your mouth out.

I'm surrounded by white collar Houstonites, and right now it ranks next to Michael Bolton's breakup in terms of newsworthy topics of conversation.
I'm a liberal. Proud of it too. On the European scale I'm a boring centrist.

I don't think I could handle being in a crowd like you describe. I'd be listening to my iPod or the internet radio/news all day and running for the door at quitting time.
Old Aug 11th 2006, 7:27 pm
Moaning Like A Pro

I'm a liberal. Proud of it too. On the European scale I'm a boring centrist.

I don't think I could handle being in a crowd like you describe. I'd be listening to my iPod or the internet radio/news all day and running for the door at quitting time.
Trust me, as much of a snobbish brute that I can be myself, it does get very tough dealing with the "Sports, Beer & George Bush" crowd. Most of these peope think Brahms is a baseball player.

As for liberal, it's interesting. As far as I'm concerned, I think Jesse Ventura said it best: "Sociall liberal, but fiscally conservative." That's me.
Old Aug 11th 2006, 7:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

Tbag has a reputation beyond reputeTbag has a reputation beyond reputeTbag has a reputation beyond reputeTbag has a reputation beyond reputeTbag has a reputation beyond reputeTbag has a reputation beyond reputeTbag has a reputation beyond reputeTbag has a reputation beyond reputeTbag has a reputation beyond reputeTbag has a reputation beyond reputeTbag has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Married2aYank
I was wondering if anyone thinks that in light of these terrorist threats coming from England, and of course the idiots who are doing it being English, is going to cast all Brits in a bad light in the USA? I dont want to be viewed as a suspicious outsider over here and be subject to harsher treatment from whoever just because I have a thick accent like the Muslims they broadcasted in their suicide videos on TV last night.
I can't for see this being cause for concern, If you have a strong accent I don't believe most would be able to place it anyway. It seems racial profiling will be on the increase if anything Most Americans I know seem to have sympathy for the situation and think we are all best friends especially since 9/11
Old Aug 11th 2006, 7:32 pm
Maño-Americano

ironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond repute

Hell, I live in the Conservative Bible Belt, Red necks- Pro Bush, Pro Iraq war...and it has been the discussion of choice yesterday and today here at the office. And they actually knew where England is...though the whole 'England-Britain-UK-London' thing is a bit confusing to most.
Old Aug 11th 2006, 7:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

cinnabar has a reputation beyond reputecinnabar has a reputation beyond reputecinnabar has a reputation beyond reputecinnabar has a reputation beyond reputecinnabar has a reputation beyond reputecinnabar has a reputation beyond reputecinnabar has a reputation beyond reputecinnabar has a reputation beyond reputecinnabar has a reputation beyond reputecinnabar has a reputation beyond reputecinnabar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tbag
I can't for see this being cause for concern, If you have a strong accent I don't believe most would be able to place it anyway. It seems racial profiling will be on the increase if anything Most Americans I know seem to have sympathy for the situation and think we are all best friends especially since 9/11
90% of the Americans I meet ask me if I'm Australian, based on me having some kind of a foreign accent (it's actually Mancunian, mostly). If Australian Pakistani Muslims start blowing up planes, I might worry then.
Old Aug 11th 2006, 7:36 pm
Moaning Like A Pro

Originally Posted by ironporer
Hell, I live in the Conservative Bible Belt, Red necks- Pro Bush, Pro Iraq war...and it has been the discussion of choice yesterday and today here at the office. And they actually knew where England is...though the whole 'England-Britain-UK-London' thing is a bit confusing to most.
LOL I get that ALL the time. Someone was doing a mail merge to send some documents to a ton of UK companies, and I had a fun time explaining how to format addresses and the meanings of towns, cities, counties, countries. Then the difference between UK and Great Britain, where Wales is, and the history of Ireland's division.

All that simply to print an envelope.

"So...is Liverpool in Merseyside? So Merseyside is the state, like Houston? Eh? Liverpool is the city? Then what is Merseyside - the state? So Britain is the country then? Wait, England is? HUH???"

Usually ends with my saying, "Look, just fock off."
Old Aug 11th 2006, 7:46 pm
Pass me the Marmite..

franc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond repute

They need to change the rules about WHAT IT MEANS TO BE BRITISH and I'd say also WHAT IT MEANS TO BE AN AMERICAN.

And Terrorists and Ismlamic no-fun-da-MENTAL-ists are NOT EITHER.

Just because you are born in Britain or USA and get Citizenship should not mean you are REALLY a TRUE LOYAL SUBJECT or Citizen. There's more to it, or at least there should be. Pride in Patriotism,

Guatanimo Bay or whatever it's called is where they should be sent until they die since we can't REALLY sent them to HELL to ROT..

Just me 2 cents.
Old Aug 11th 2006, 7:48 pm
Moaning Like A Pro

Originally Posted by franc11s
They need to change the rules about WHAT IT MEANS TO BE BRITISH and I'd say also WHAT IT MEANS TO BE AN AMERICAN.

And Terrorists and Ismlamic no-fun-da-MENTAL-ists are NOT EITHER.

Just because you are born in Britain or USA and get Citizenship should not mean you are REALLY British.

Guatanimo Bay or whatever it's called is where they should be sent since we can't REALLY sent them to HELL to ROT..

Just me 2 cents.
Well said. These 'people' should be raped with scalding bicycle pumps, branded on the face with a hot iron, and then hung naked from the rafters while being pelted with eggs.
Old Aug 11th 2006, 7:50 pm
Moaning Like A Pro

Incidentally, let me make this perfectly clear. If I was ever on board a plane, and saw some muslim looking guy in the middle of something suspicious (ie a battery and some wires) I have no shame in saying I would beat the living shit out of the guy until his face resembled lasagne.

And I'd go to prison for it quite happily. A principle is a principle.
Old Aug 11th 2006, 7:53 pm
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

bit of a stutter going on there tolos

there that's better
Old Aug 11th 2006, 7:55 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

britvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond repute

Usually ends with my saying, "Look, just fock off."
LOL do you really I still try and act like a Lady, so there for dont waist my breath

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.