Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

It all boils down to this...

It all boils down to this...

Old May 3rd 2012, 1:57 pm
Life goes on.

Uncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: It all boils down to this...

Originally Posted by kimilseung
This is all completely off topic. But Matrix was ace!
It was so refreshing to have a Hollywood action film that asked questions about the nature of existence but is fun. It got a great balance of philosophy and action, It might not be as high faluting as reading Plato, Kant or Baudrillard but it way more entertaining. (I have to admit to having failed to understand a word of Baudrillard, so I do know my limits)
Old May 3rd 2012, 3:40 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter
Well in Seattle it wouldn't be necessary. They have houses and everything there.

Other than that, hang all your food in a bag from a rope slung between two trees.

Or just keep it in the car.
Yes we live in houses, sloping roofs though, gotta have all that water from all that rain drop off.

But you do have to watch for the moron drivers....
Old May 3rd 2012, 3:48 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Primula
You already live in one of the most beautiful states - Massachusetts. Have you considered living in the Berkshires?
Bugger all jobs out in Western Mass though.

But to the OP, if you've looked at the candle place and see any jobs that catch your eye, I know someone pretty senior in the accountancy/finance part of the HQ there if you need someone to pass on deets to.
Old May 3rd 2012, 4:31 pm
Banned

Ethelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
Bugger all jobs out in Western Mass though.

But to the OP, if you've looked at the candle place and see any jobs that catch your eye, I know someone pretty senior in the accountancy/finance part of the HQ there if you need someone to pass on deets to.
Kind of slacked off on the job hunting, but I need to get back on the ball. You're right about western Mass...beautiful, but not so many jobs. Most of the jobs I see seem to be either in Boston itself, or Burlington / Woburn.
Old May 3rd 2012, 4:34 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ethelred_the_Unready
Thanks for the suggestions! Due to circumstances, I haven't been able to do too much exploring. I did drive up to White Mountains though during last fall, which was nothing short of breathtaking. I go into Boston fairly regularly to take pics and explore.

Have you been to the North Adams area? I've heard that's very scenic.

Not having a reliable car doesn't help matters.

The White [Face] Mountains are wonderful. You have to take the cog railway up to the summit of Mt. Washington one day.

North Adams is trying to turn itself around. It was so downtrodden and riddled with drug and crime most people ran from the city. The roadways to NA are lovely as they wind through the Berkshire Mountains (also called the pie crust mountains by the locals). I would recommend Williamstown for sightseeing, North Hampton (a college town for sure), Lenox with a stop at Tanglewood for a summer concept, Stockbridge (sit on the porch of the Red Lion Inn in a rocking chair with a cool drink), ride to the top of Mt. Greylock on the Dalton/Pittsfield city line. Lots of beautiful towns and cities in the Berkshires. But jobs? Few and far between that can be considered "career opportunities".

Last edited by Rete; May 3rd 2012 at 4:36 pm.
Old May 3rd 2012, 5:29 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Kind of slacked off on the job hunting, but I need to get back on the ball. You're right about western Mass...beautiful, but not so many jobs. Most of the jobs I see seem to be either in Boston itself, or Burlington / Woburn.
Aye, hence the mention of candles, out past Northampton, which is a superb town. Close to Sherburne Falls area, lovely place.

There's also Friendlys HQ in the area, but no idea if they'd have much accountancy type jobs but might know someone who could possibly find a contact for them too, she used to be pretty senior in the Maine region but left a few years ago.
Old May 3rd 2012, 5:45 pm
Banned

Ethelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
Aye, hence the mention of candles, out past Northampton, which is a superb town. Close to Sherburne Falls area, lovely place.

There's also Friendlys HQ in the area, but no idea if they'd have much accountancy type jobs but might know someone who could possibly find a contact for them too, she used to be pretty senior in the Maine region but left a few years ago.
Long way from me. I would have to move, which is likely to happen anyway. In hindsight, I should have moved to the western side of Boston in the first place, knowing how dire traffic is on 128. Some nights it takes me 2 hours to get home.
Old May 3rd 2012, 6:15 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Long way from me. I would have to move, which is likely to happen anyway. In hindsight, I should have moved to the western side of Boston in the first place, knowing how dire traffic is on 128. Some nights it takes me 2 hours to get home.
Aye, I figured you'd be moving anyway and if you can land a job in a nicer part of the state.

Anyway, check those companies out and if you see anything, I'll see if I can get you an inside track to get around HR and not having a degree issue
Old May 3rd 2012, 6:44 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Bob
Aye, I figured you'd be moving anyway and if you can land a job in a nicer part of the state.

Anyway, check those companies out and if you see anything, I'll see if I can get you an inside track to get around HR and not having a degree issue
I certainly will. You're a gentleman.
Old May 3rd 2012, 11:22 pm
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

I certainly will. You're a gentleman.
No he's not, he's our Boberino and he is just that way.
Old May 3rd 2012, 11:29 pm
Life goes on.

Uncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cindyabs
No he's not, he's our Boberino and he is just that way.
The Bobster.
Old May 3rd 2012, 11:36 pm
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beaverstate
When you said they are not very good you were talking about the Huskies,right?
That's that other football isn't it? the mother-in-law talks about it, but I don't get it. I do understand that the Huskies are not supposed to be very good.
Old May 3rd 2012, 11:43 pm
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Uncle Ebenezer
The Bobster.
I tried watching the Matrix again this afternoon.
Old May 4th 2012, 3:45 am
Banned

Primula has a spectacular aura aboutPrimula has a spectacular aura aboutPrimula has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by Rete
Lenox with a stop at Tanglewood for a summer concert, Stockbridge (sit on the porch of the Red Lion Inn in a rocking chair with a cool drink.
Love Lenox and Tanglewood. Remember vividly the first time we ever saw the Red Lion Inn. Turned the corner and there it was. Funny thing, we revisited a couple of years ago after more than 20 years and nothing had changed, even the ladies room, which still has old-fashioned wallpaper.

First time I ever stayed there, I asked for a new room in the middle of the night because of clanging pipes. They kindly gave me a new room. When I got back to NYC, a complete refund check for the room was in the mail and Jane Fitzpatrick (the owner) told me to contact her the next time I came up and she would oversee my room, etc., etc.