Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

It all boils down to this...

It all boils down to this...

Old May 3rd 2012, 2:03 am
Banned

Ethelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: It all boils down to this...

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter
See? The perfect place.
If there's a labour shortage of British non-degreed, but seriously experienced accountant types, I'll be on the next plane.
Old May 3rd 2012, 2:04 am

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ethelred_the_Unready
So pitching any kind of tent is out of the question?

Well in Seattle it wouldn't be necessary. They have houses and everything there.

Other than that, hang all your food in a bag from a rope slung between two trees.

Or just keep it in the car.
Old May 3rd 2012, 2:05 am
Banned

Ethelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing
Rarely, if ever. That one just popped into my head ...
Guilty pleasure #1,876,976. It's the only Poison song I'll admit to liking.
Old May 3rd 2012, 2:07 am
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Guilty pleasure #1,876,976. It's the only Poison song I'll admit to liking.
Same here, mainly because I liked it when it came out. I always much preferred Guns n Roses and Iron Maiden myself.
Banned

Well in Seattle it wouldn't be necessary. They have houses and everything there.

Other than that, hang all your food in a bag from a rope slung between two trees.

Or just keep it in the car.
There is always a necessity to pitch a tent here & there though.

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

If there's a labour shortage of British non-degreed, but seriously experienced accountant types, I'll be on the next plane.
Get a more lowly job while you get the degree. Try a big not for profit, like the YMCA. They might be better at giving people a chance even if you don't have the paper qualifications, but to progress you will need the degree. I think. I say this form the position of someone who can barely add two and two.
Old May 3rd 2012, 2:10 am

There is always a necessity to pitch a tent here & there though.
Don't startle the horses.
Old May 3rd 2012, 2:10 am
Banned

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing
Same here, mainly because I liked it when it came out. I always much preferred Guns n Roses and Iron Maiden myself.
Same here. Can't beat a bit of Iron Maiden. They have never tried (and failed) to reinvent themselves like Metallica; always stayed true to their timeless style of music.
Old May 3rd 2012, 2:12 am
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Same here. Can't beat a bit of Iron Maiden. They have never tried (and failed) to reinvent themselves like Metallica; always stayed true to their timeless style of music.
Plus, Bruce Dickinson is just an all round cool bloke. Olympic fender, pilot, one of the best voices in heavy metal ...
Old May 3rd 2012, 2:44 am
Banned

Primula has a spectacular aura aboutPrimula has a spectacular aura aboutPrimula has a spectacular aura about

I have to try to find a part of this country that I can be comfortable in
You already live in one of the most beautiful states - Massachusetts. Have you considered living in the Berkshires?

It seems that in the US, the further west you go, the warmer people are.
Could be the sun.

Ok, to summarize, we need to find for Ethelred a part of the country where there are pubs and beer and football
He's already living there - Massachusetts. A state that has everything, IMHO.
Old May 3rd 2012, 3:21 am
Joined on April fools day

Beaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kimilseung
The PNW is the place for football, 38,000 crowds at Seattle; 20,000 sell outs in Portland (but they are not very good).
Lion you forgot the countryside bit, Ethelred needs that, the PNW is trumps again.
I still have a job, so your 'not insane exploiters of their minions' is true here.
Pubs could be better, but I have little to compare within the states.
I think some place in Cascadia might be the answer.
When you said they are not very good you were talking about the Huskies,right?
Old May 3rd 2012, 12:54 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Primula
You already live in one of the most beautiful states - Massachusetts. Have you considered living in the Berkshires?

Could be the sun.

He's already living there - Massachusetts. A state that has everything, IMHO.
MA is nice, but I've always preferred the west coast for some reason. It seems more laid back, the scenery is much more dramatic, whereas it's mostly just native woodland and fairly flat this side of the state (though the coastline is nice).
Old May 3rd 2012, 1:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

HumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond repute

MA is nice, but I've always preferred the west coast for some reason. It seems more laid back, the scenery is much more dramatic, whereas it's mostly just native woodland and fairly flat this side of the state (though the coastline is nice).
MA around the Boston area is pretty flat but then once you get outside 495 to the west it gets extremely hilly. Good thing to do on a clear day in head up Mount Wachusett (you can drive up the summit road or take a chair lift up if you are lazy) - then you get a view all the way to Boston. Rest of the state heading out to the Pioneer Valley and the Berkshires has some dramatic scenery. Not the tallest mountains but pretty nonetheless. The Monadnock region in NH is nice too. It's not in MA but it would have been if the crown authorities hadn't taken a dislike to the state and settled on the side of NH in the boundary dispute.
Old May 3rd 2012, 1:25 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by HumphreyC
MA around the Boston area is pretty flat but then once you get outside 495 to the west it gets extremely hilly. Good thing to do on a clear day in head up Mount Wachusett (you can drive up the summit road or take a chair lift up if you are lazy) - then you get a view all the way to Boston. Rest of the state heading out to the Pioneer Valley and the Berkshires has some dramatic scenery. Not the tallest mountains but pretty nonetheless. The Monadnock region in NH is nice too. It's not in MA but it would have been if the crown authorities hadn't taken a dislike to the state and settled on the side of NH in the boundary dispute.
Thanks for the suggestions! Due to circumstances, I haven't been able to do too much exploring. I did drive up to White Mountains though during last fall, which was nothing short of breathtaking. I go into Boston fairly regularly to take pics and explore.

Have you been to the North Adams area? I've heard that's very scenic.

Not having a reliable car doesn't help matters.
Old May 3rd 2012, 1:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

HumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond repute

Have you been to the North Adams area? I've heard that's very scenic.

Not having a reliable car doesn't help matters.
If you are doing North Adams - then you can do a loop round the Molly Stark trail and the Mohawk trail - both of which are really nice drives. When we do it we head down the Mohawk to Greenfield, then head up to Brattleboro which is a cool town (pretty groovy). Then you take the Molly Stark trail over to Wilmington and there is a great overlook on the way. Next - on to Bennington & stop off at the brew-pub, then south to Williamstown & North Adams and back down the Mohawk trail to Greenfield again. Lot of good scenery on that route.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.