Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Nonimmigrant Visa Waiver of Ineligibility Application

Nonimmigrant Visa Waiver of Ineligibility Application

Old Jun 1st 2019, 9:39 am
Just Joined

Hopetheyletmein is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Nonimmigrant Visa Waiver of Ineligibility Application

Thanks civilservant, I thought exactly that - I'm absolutely devastated and slipping back into criminal habits couldn't be further from the truth. If only they could see me in day to day life, it would appear unbelievable that I'd ever been in trouble at all.

I've done a personal statement, will take lots of supporting documents, mortgage statement, character ref, employer letter etc - I've just got to hope that the consular officer is convinced that I'm a decent person when I go for the interview... fingers crossed :-(
Old Jun 2nd 2019, 10:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

shiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kitty...
Does anybody know if it says 'refused' on the CEAC website, when you log in to see the status of your Visa if that page also would show if you have been referred for a waiver of ineligibility? Or does that always show refused and won't update for the waiver of eligibility?

We don't know if my husband has been referred for the waiver of ineligibility or not. Have tried emailing them but not heard back. We supplied some additional information after the appointment but don't know if it was refused after we submitted the additional info or before.

Thanks
It shows refused until they request your passport for visa issuance.

Did you get a letter at the interview saying you were being referred? If so, it's almost certainly going ahead. What information did they ask for?
Old Jun 2nd 2019, 11:04 pm
Just Joined

Kitty... is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by shiversaint
It shows refused until they request your passport for visa issuance.

Did you get a letter at the interview saying you were being referred? If so, it's almost certainly going ahead. What information did they ask for?
Thank you Shiversaint for your reply.

He just got a letter saying the Visa was declined but we needed to obtain further information on the conviction from ACRO and give them permission to speak with the embassy re the conviction which we have now done. When we initially submitted the ACRO request it came back no live trace so we thought the best thing would be to obtain the details from the court to support it but it was not sufficient.

I guess we will just wait and hope at some point they contact us to send the passport. Fingers crossed it has gone to the waiver of ineligibility. It is helpful to know if won't show anything for that on the Visa page.
Old Jun 10th 2019, 7:34 am
Forum Regular

movida is an unknown quantity at this point

I have a 5 year visa with waiver of ineligibility, this was granted last year and I’ve visited New York since with only a 20 minute delay or so on arrival. I’m interested to fly from Dublin as the taxes and surcharges for redeeming reward flights are far lower. The USA pre screening sounds good but I’m concerned. The reason being that if I flew from London direct to the states and had to face a lengthy wait for my file to be looked at by a border officer in New York, I have the time to do so. My understanding is that doing this in Dublin happens after I’ve checked in for my flight and after duty free etc. So surely there is an extremely limited time frame, what if they held me up for an hour or more? I can only check in for my flight 2 hours before I think, so I’m concerned that as I think I have to face a separate interview due to my situation, I could be held for ages and miss my flight. My only experience of this was jfk last year but the ‘interview’ was all of 45 seconds and the wait was 20 mins or so only as about 3-4 people were in there and I think I was lucky based on previous wait times mentioned here.

Anyone else with a waiver of ineligibility traveled to the USA direct from Dublin?
Old Jun 10th 2019, 8:15 am
Account Closed

materialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by movida

I have a 5 year visa with waiver of ineligibility, this was granted last year and I’ve visited New York since with only a 20 minute delay or so on arrival. I’m interested to fly from Dublin as the taxes and surcharges for redeeming reward flights are far lower. The USA pre screening sounds good but I’m concerned. The reason being that if I flew from London direct to the states and had to face a lengthy wait for my file to be looked at by a border officer in New York, I have the time to do so. My understanding is that doing this in Dublin happens after I’ve checked in for my flight and after duty free etc. So surely there is an extremely limited time frame, what if they held me up for an hour or more? I can only check in for my flight 2 hours before I think, so I’m concerned that as I think I have to face a separate interview due to my situation, I could be held for ages and miss my flight. My only experience of this was jfk last year but the ‘interview’ was all of 45 seconds and the wait was 20 mins or so only as about 3-4 people were in there and I think I was lucky based on previous wait times mentioned here.

Anyone else with a waiver of ineligibility traveled to the USA direct from Dublin?
I've used Dublin preclearance once, back in 2017. No problems at all in my case, and I would definitely recommend it

I checked in early at Heathrow and Aer Lingus offered to bump me to an earlier flight to DUB, which I accepted as I was concerned about the connection time and being delayed in secondary processing.

In the end, I wasn't even asked any questions at secondary in DUB. I waited for 10 minutes and they'd already stamped my passport before they called me to the desk.

It took me less than 45 minutes from leaving my inbound plane from LHR, to walking through Flight Connections, getting to preclearance, going through security, primary and secondary inspections and making it into the US bound departure area.
Old Jul 10th 2019, 8:12 pm
Forum Regular

movida is an unknown quantity at this point

Just a minor update here as I found this thread useful in the past when applying for my first visa. Visited San Fran last week, had to go to secondary processing as is standard. Waited around 5-10 mins max, then was called outside for a quick casual chat with an officer. He asked why I couldn't have used an ESTA, so I explained the very basics of my old conviction, he also wanted to know what i'd be up to (so I whipped out my itinerary). He simply replied OK, let's get you out of here, did a minute or two of admin, stamped me in and that's that. I didn't have to answer any questions on my New York trip, literally just asked me in the secondary processing area how long I was staying for.

I'm sure this is totally normal, I still am fearful for whatever reason they'd turn me away. However, surely those turning up with waivers of ineligibility are highly regarded as having gone to an awful lot of trouble and effort through the correct channels plus they've had Visas issued as an incredibly strong sign of approval-so I probably shouldn't worry. Just a shame that a very old silly mistake will presumably mean secondary processing (and visas, of course) for life, making us feel like second class citizens/criminals again!
Old Jul 10th 2019, 8:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

BenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by movida
Just a minor update here as I found this thread useful in the past when applying for my first visa. Visited San Fran last week, had to go to secondary processing as is standard. Waited around 5-10 mins max, then was called outside for a quick casual chat with an officer. He asked why I couldn't have used an ESTA, so I explained the very basics of my old conviction, he also wanted to know what i'd be up to (so I whipped out my itinerary). He simply replied OK, let's get you out of here, did a minute or two of admin, stamped me in and that's that. I didn't have to answer any questions on my New York trip, literally just asked me in the secondary processing area how long I was staying for.

I'm sure this is totally normal, I still am fearful for whatever reason they'd turn me away. However, surely those turning up with waivers of ineligibility are highly regarded as having gone to an awful lot of trouble and effort through the correct channels plus they've had Visas issued as an incredibly strong sign of approval-so I probably shouldn't worry. Just a shame that a very old silly mistake will presumably mean secondary processing (and visas, of course) for life, making us feel like second class citizens/criminals again!
I don't know if 'waiver of ineligibility' and 'high regard' really go in the same sentence but, congratulations on getting it and being let through your POE for your vacation!
Old Jul 12th 2019, 6:31 pm
Forum Regular

Shark013 has a reputation beyond reputeShark013 has a reputation beyond reputeShark013 has a reputation beyond reputeShark013 has a reputation beyond reputeShark013 has a reputation beyond reputeShark013 has a reputation beyond reputeShark013 has a reputation beyond reputeShark013 has a reputation beyond reputeShark013 has a reputation beyond reputeShark013 has a reputation beyond reputeShark013 has a reputation beyond repute

Has anyone had any success of gaining waiver after b2 212 denial status with not being recommended for a waiver ? If so please advise what you applied for ? Many thanks
Old Jul 13th 2019, 2:03 am
BE Enthusiast

shiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shark013
Has anyone had any success of gaining waiver after b2 212 denial status with not being recommended for a waiver ? If so please advise what you applied for ? Many thanks
You've got a thread going already chap. You've had the best advice you can get in there.

I remember one case where someone went back and it was about 5 years later. ConOff said good job for taking some time out and being rational and he got a 5 year waiver. That is consistent with what everyone is advising you.
Old Jul 13th 2019, 5:09 am
Forum Regular

Shark013 has a reputation beyond reputeShark013 has a reputation beyond reputeShark013 has a reputation beyond reputeShark013 has a reputation beyond reputeShark013 has a reputation beyond reputeShark013 has a reputation beyond reputeShark013 has a reputation beyond reputeShark013 has a reputation beyond reputeShark013 has a reputation beyond reputeShark013 has a reputation beyond reputeShark013 has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you ! this post was to see if anyone actually had any success and the route they took. I appreciate everyone’s views and advise and am taking it all on board to help decide what our next step will be to take to gain entry even if we have to play the waiting game, what will be will be 🙏🤞🏻
Old Jul 25th 2019, 7:50 pm
Just Joined

Hi

We have received confirmation today to send the passport for Visa issuance (a few days short of 2 months if that helps anybody still waiting).

I am confused, it says not to send any other documents but do we not need to send a photo? Or do they use the scanned ones from the original application?

It's a UK passport and we applied in London.

Thanks
Old Jul 25th 2019, 8:16 pm
Account Closed

materialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kitty...
Hi

We have received confirmation today to send the passport for Visa issuance (a few days short of 2 months if that helps anybody still waiting).

I am confused, it says not to send any other documents but do we not need to send a photo? Or do they use the scanned ones from the original application?

It's a UK passport and we applied in London.

Thanks
All you need to do is follow the instructions and send them the passport. They will use the photo from your DS160 application for the visa.
Old Jul 25th 2019, 8:21 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by materialcontroller
All you need to do is follow the instructions and send them the passport. They will use the photo from your DS160 application for the visa.

Great. Thank you for confirming. I thought that may be the case but wanted to double check.

Can't believe how quick a turn around we got on it thouin. Was worried that we might not even have it back for December!

Thank you to you all for your advice.
Old Jul 26th 2019, 9:50 am
Just Joined

Claraclack is an unknown quantity at this point

Just an update on my partners waiver of ineligibility application. Had a letter today over a week before the three months was due saying they have refused him. They haven’t said why so we can only assume it’s the length of time although it’s been nearly ten years since he was released from prison for gbh with intent and he’s completely changed his life round since. Was a silly fight that escalated out of hand when he was 20. Any advice on what to do now? Who do we speak to in order to find out the exact reason it was refused to see if it’s worth applying again in the future?
Old Jul 26th 2019, 11:43 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Claraclack
Just an update on my partners waiver of ineligibility application. Had a letter today over a week before the three months was due saying they have refused him. They haven’t said why so we can only assume it’s the length of time although it’s been nearly ten years since he was released from prison for gbh with intent and he’s completely changed his life round since. Was a silly fight that escalated out of hand when he was 20. Any advice on what to do now? Who do we speak to in order to find out the exact reason it was refused to see if it’s worth applying again in the future?
I'm surprised that you haven't been told the reason for the refusal. Normally, the letter you are sent should at least indicate which section of the INA the refusal falls under.

What you do now is accept that he cannot travel to the USA in the short to medium term future and simply get on with the rest of your life. There are no hard and fast rules about this (deliberately so), but I don't think it's even worth attempting a further application for at least another five years or more.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.