Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Nonimmigrant Visa Waiver of Ineligibility Application

Nonimmigrant Visa Waiver of Ineligibility Application

Old Jun 2nd 2016, 6:40 am
Forum Regular

yum2yum is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Nonimmigrant Visa Waiver of Ineligibility Application

Originally Posted by mikelincs
Visas to VISIT the US can get waivers, especially as, in your case, it was over 10 years ago, however you would NEVER get a visa to allow you to do any work in the US, that will never change, a drug offence is still a complete no-no if you want to get a work visa, unless you are someone like Mick Jagger.
I don't think this is even remotely true.

A green card (immigrant visa) is the only thing he can't get with a drug conviction
Old Jun 2nd 2016, 7:05 am
Just Joined

ontherox has a reputation beyond reputeontherox has a reputation beyond reputeontherox has a reputation beyond reputeontherox has a reputation beyond reputeontherox has a reputation beyond reputeontherox has a reputation beyond reputeontherox has a reputation beyond reputeontherox has a reputation beyond reputeontherox has a reputation beyond reputeontherox has a reputation beyond reputeontherox has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by yum2yum
I don't think this is even remotely true.

A green card (immigrant visa) is the only thing he can't get with a drug conviction
Hope so. It is a non-immigrant visa I am after, and the visa I require is B1 to travel to the US for business travel. I am still working for the UK company. As far as I know, the B1 and B2 visa come as a package, so I would also be eligible for tourism, but it is the business travel visa I have applied for.
Old Jun 2nd 2016, 10:47 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mikelincs
... you would NEVER get a visa to allow you to do any work in the US, that will never change...
This simply isn't true. While there are absolutely no waivers for immigrant visas, they are available for non-immigrant visas including those that allow work - and they're handed out regularly as far as I can determine.

Ian
Old Jun 2nd 2016, 11:05 am
Just Joined

samkevs564 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello all,

This post is to gather some opinions more than anything.

I've been lurking on this thread for about 10 months. I never realised how long a visa could take before reading it. I booked a holiday to Florida in October 2015 and took the first available appointment for interview at the American Embassy in London which was December the 14th 2015. I was recommended for a Waiver and was told 6 months (much like many others in the thread).

Now I know it was never going to be bang on 6 months and it can take longer. For me the issue is slightly different to actually missing the flight date. My actual holiday is not until September the 16th (I booked well in advance to try and avoid this Visa wait.)

The issue is that I have to pay the balance of my holiday this month and I still haven't had the email. May the 30th was 24 weeks after interview, June 27th would be 28 weeks after interview, I will have to pay before that date.

32 weeks after interview is July 25th. These dates are well before I go on holiday. I'm assuming it will only take about 2 weeks to send the passport off and for it to be sent back, so ideally I'd need the visa to be with me 29th August which is week 37.

The opinions I am looking for are; should I pay the balance knowing that I will have up to week 37 to receive the visa? I have seen on here some wait times at around 28-32 weeks but not longer than that.

What are chances that at this point I can still be denied a visa and what are the chances of it not arriving by week 37? (I understand this is completely skeptical.)

Demographics - I am 23, with one conviction of assault (ABH). I have travelled to Florida roughly 12 times prior to this visa application.

I guess predominantly this is aimed at Ian, but I welcome any other experienced members to input.

Cheers,
Sam
Old Jun 2nd 2016, 12:23 pm
Forum Regular

Newyork is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
This simply isn't true. While there are absolutely no waivers for immigrant visas, they are available for non-immigrant visas including those that allow work - and they're handed out regularly as far as I can determine.

Ian
Ian , can you clarify the bit about absolutely no waivers for immigrant visas as I came across form I-601 on the uscis.gov website which states...

Purpose of Form
If you are inadmissible to the United States and are seeking an immigrant visa, adjustment of status, certain nonimmigrant statuses or certain other immigration benefits, you must file this form to seek a waiver of certain grounds of inadmissibility. Please refer to the instructions to determine whether you should use this form.

Perhaps I am misunderstanding something here so any advice would be welcome.
Thanks

Newyork
Old Jun 2nd 2016, 1:14 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Newyork
Perhaps I am misunderstanding something here so any advice would be welcome.
Sorry, I should have been more precise... there are no immigrant visa waivers available if the inadmissibility is the result of a drug conviction.

Ian
Old Jun 2nd 2016, 1:19 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Sorry, I should have been more precise... there are no immigrant visa waivers available if the inadmissibility is the result of a drug conviction.

Ian
Not quite right but no immigrant waivers for drug dealers.
Old Jun 2nd 2016, 1:32 pm
Forum Regular

Newyork is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Boiler
Not quite right but no immigrant waivers for drug dealers.
Agree , 212(h) immigrant waiver possible for single conviction of possession of marijuana 30 grams or less.

Newyork
Old Jun 2nd 2016, 8:56 pm
Just Joined

Mr Jones is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by samkevs564
Hello all,

This post is to gather some opinions more than anything.

I've been lurking on this thread for about 10 months. I never realised how long a visa could take before reading it. I booked a holiday to Florida in October 2015 and took the first available appointment for interview at the American Embassy in London which was December the 14th 2015. I was recommended for a Waiver and was told 6 months (much like many others in the thread).

Now I know it was never going to be bang on 6 months and it can take longer. For me the issue is slightly different to actually missing the flight date. My actual holiday is not until September the 16th (I booked well in advance to try and avoid this Visa wait.)

The issue is that I have to pay the balance of my holiday this month and I still haven't had the email. May the 30th was 24 weeks after interview, June 27th would be 28 weeks after interview, I will have to pay before that date.

32 weeks after interview is July 25th. These dates are well before I go on holiday. I'm assuming it will only take about 2 weeks to send the passport off and for it to be sent back, so ideally I'd need the visa to be with me 29th August which is week 37.

The opinions I am looking for are; should I pay the balance knowing that I will have up to week 37 to receive the visa? I have seen on here some wait times at around 28-32 weeks but not longer than that.

What are chances that at this point I can still be denied a visa and what are the chances of it not arriving by week 37? (I understand this is completely skeptical.)

Demographics - I am 23, with one conviction of assault (ABH). I have travelled to Florida roughly 12 times prior to this visa application.

I guess predominantly this is aimed at Ian, but I welcome any other experienced members to input.

Cheers,
Sam
Sam - quite right, Ian is the best one to answer this one and I can guess his reply, however, like you, I have been a lurker since starting my application and the site has been extremely useful. Just as a guide, my timeline is as follows.
London interview - 16th December
Recommended for waiver and advised 6 month wait!!!!
Received 2 emails today at 15.59 to submit passport for visa issuance. I will send passport off courier tomorrow and let you know how long it takes to come back. So far 24 weeks gone.
Old Jun 2nd 2016, 10:00 pm
Just Joined

ontherox has a reputation beyond reputeontherox has a reputation beyond reputeontherox has a reputation beyond reputeontherox has a reputation beyond reputeontherox has a reputation beyond reputeontherox has a reputation beyond reputeontherox has a reputation beyond reputeontherox has a reputation beyond reputeontherox has a reputation beyond reputeontherox has a reputation beyond reputeontherox has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mr Jones
Sam - quite right, Ian is the best one to answer this one and I can guess his reply, however, like you, I have been a lurker since starting my application and the site has been extremely useful. Just as a guide, my timeline is as follows.
London interview - 16th December
Recommended for waiver and advised 6 month wait!!!!
Received 2 emails today at 15.59 to submit passport for visa issuance. I will send passport off courier tomorrow and let you know how long it takes to come back. So far 24 weeks gone.
I have the same!! I was in London on the same day as you and have also received my 2 e-mails today. No statement on how long the visa is for though. Do I need to see the visa in my hands? I'm sure I've seen other people state the length of their visa when they have found out they have been given a visa?

The slightly unfortunate thing for me though is that I travel to Switzerland for a couple of days soon. I return 14th June though, so 15th June I'll be driving to my nearest courier drop-off. 30 days given to provide your passport so this should be fine.
Old Jun 2nd 2016, 10:08 pm
Just Joined

Mr Jones is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ontherox
I have the same!! I was in London on the same day as you and have also received my 2 e-mails today. No statement on how long the visa is for though. Do I need to see the visa in my hands? I'm sure I've seen other people state the length of their visa when they have found out they have been given a visa?

The slightly unfortunate thing for me though is that I travel to Switzerland for a couple of days soon. I return 14th June though, so 15th June I'll be driving to my nearest courier drop-off. 30 days given to provide your passport so this should be fine.
No info on my length of visa so will have to wait and see what comes back!! Will let you know 👍
Old Jun 2nd 2016, 11:17 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Mr Jones
Ian is the best one to answer this one and I can guess his reply...
Since you can probably guess my reply pretty accurately, I'm not going to add any more to this!

Ian
Old Jun 3rd 2016, 7:29 am
Just Joined

samkevs564 is an unknown quantity at this point

Since you can probably guess my reply pretty accurately, I'm not going to add any more to this!

Ian
Fair enough!

Although it was a pointless post for me in the end; like the two other guys in here that had applications in December, I too received my two emails yesterday, literally about 2 hours after I posted on this forum! How lucky!

So in summary for all you others;

Interview 14/12/15
Emails to submit passport 02/06/16

That's just under 25 weeks, so it does seem like the wait for these is going down!

Finally, may seem daft, but I've followed the instructions for the courier, it says to include any supporting documents but doesn't list any? Is this only for fresh applicants? It's my understanding that all I need to submit is my passport and the printed out courier certificate is that correct?

Thanks in advance and good luck to all you others waiting on their emails - they will come eventually!

Sam

P.S I will return to let you guys know how long the visa is for

Last edited by samkevs564; Jun 3rd 2016 at 7:46 am.
Old Jun 3rd 2016, 11:56 am
Just Joined

Yes, just the passport. The e-mails should say that no other document is required.

My business trip has been cancelled so I am now on my way to send my passport off!
Old Jun 7th 2016, 12:58 am
Just Joined

Brynteg996 is an unknown quantity at this point

My timeline and it still ongoing. . .

5th June 2015 - Attended interview in London, advised that I would be recommended for a waiver of ineligibility but didn't have by Police certificates with me.

30th June 2015 - Email received from Embassy saying that they had received my Police Certificate

08th July 2015 - Visa status shows as "Refused"

13th July 2015 - Email received from Embassy "Confirmation decision to recommend to grant a waiver of your ineligibility with an average waiting time of 6 months"

No further confirmation/emails since the 13th July 2015. Believe me I have checked my "junk" emails on a daily basis also. . .

I've now been waiting over a year since original interview in London, nothing has changed in my circumstances but I am losing hope as everyday passes.

Question

If the US decide that they will not issue me with a visa, will I be notified of this by either email or letter? As the checking the emails everyday and finding nothing is driving me crazy!!

Hope the rest of you are having more success. . .

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.