Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Nonimmigrant Visa Waiver of Ineligibility Application

Nonimmigrant Visa Waiver of Ineligibility Application

Old Jun 10th 2016, 8:55 am
Forum Regular

yum2yum is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Nonimmigrant Visa Waiver of Ineligibility Application

Originally Posted by serenawell

Relatives/partners are not allowed to join you, you have to sit on your own , unless you ask strange men if they are married to people you chat online with LOL .
Presumably if you are travelling with kids (and no other adult) then the kiddies can join in there?

Im flying through Dublin this time to avoid but in future wont always be the case..
Old Jun 10th 2016, 9:29 am
Forum Regular

Newyork is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by yum2yum
Presumably if you are travelling with kids (and no other adult) then the kiddies can join in there?

Im flying through Dublin this time to avoid but in future wont always be the case..
Hi yum2yum,
Yes I did see children and babies in buggies in secondary so no problem there.

Would be interested to hear of your experience going through pre check in Dublin.
I did review the process of US pre checking on the Dublin website with video and , perhaps others can clarify, the impression I got was that it was a quick pre clearance for Esta travellers and their luggage so that upon arriving in the U.S. they are treated as if they are domestic travellers and go straight out of the airport with no checks. I did not see where it says they do a secondary check for visa travellers and as they have no legal authority in Ireland to arrest people with dodgy visas I would assume the U.S. DHS would prefer to do those checks in the U.S.
I may be wrong so any input from Ian or others who may have been through Dublin would be useful.

Newyork
Old Jun 10th 2016, 9:35 am
Forum Regular

yum2yum is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Newyork
Hi yum2yum,
Yes I did see children and babies in buggies in secondary so no problem there.

Would be interested to hear of your experience going through pre check in Dublin.
I did review the process of US pre checking on the Dublin website with video and , perhaps others can clarify, the impression I got was that it was a quick pre clearance for Esta travellers and their luggage so that upon arriving in the U.S. they are treated as if they are domestic travellers and go straight out of the airport with no checks. I did not see where it says they do a secondary check for visa travellers and as they have no legal authority in Ireland to arrest people with dodgy visas I would assume the U.S. DHS would prefer to do those checks in the U.S.
I may be wrong so any input from Ian or others who may have been through Dublin would be useful.

Newyork
My understanding is that secondary is completed in Dublin before boarding and that once you are on the plane you land as a domestic traveller and go straight out of the terminal building. Which to me seems worth the connection time given how long those bloody passport queues can be in the US in the summer.
Old Jun 10th 2016, 11:41 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by yum2yum
My understanding is that secondary is completed in Dublin before boarding and that once you are on the plane you land as a domestic traveller and go straight out of the terminal building. Which to me seems worth the connection time given how long those bloody passport queues can be in the US in the summer.
Yum2yum, yes that's what I first thought, great, but upon researching the info on the following Dublin Airport website
https://www.dublinairport.com/at-the-airport/passenger-Information/us-preclearance-facility
It only references pre clearance not secondary for US citizens and ESTA visa waiver travellers and not visa waivers of inelegibility.

If it is a you understand , great, I will fly via Dublin when I next go to the U.S. but I have a nagging doubt that it is not the case.
If anyone on this forum who has transitioned through Dublin can confirm what is the process,that would be useful.

Also if there is a secondary clearance as well as a pre clearance the time factor spent in secondary could impact on how long you have to catch your connecting flight to the US.
I think I would prefer to get to the U.S. and spending however long it takes in secondary knowing I have at least arrived in the U.S. on my paid for ticket.
I would like a book/chapter/verse reference or actual experience to put into my growing travel reference folder. 😀😀😀
Old Jun 10th 2016, 12:12 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

... so that upon arriving in the U.S. they are treated as if they are domestic travellers and go straight out of the airport with no checks.
This is correct.

I did not see where it says they do a secondary check for visa travelers...
They do... and the web site says so: "... a purpose built facility that allows US bound passengers to undertake all US immigration, customs and agriculture inspections...".

... as they have no legal authority in Ireland to arrest people with dodgy visas...
Your comment is baffling. Why would there be a need to arrest anyone? The worst that could happen is that you're not allowed to get on the plane.

I may be wrong...
Yes.

Ian
Old Jun 10th 2016, 1:34 pm
Forum Regular

[QUOTE=ian-mstm;11969844]This is correct.

They do... and the web site says so: "... a purpose built facility that allows US bound passengers to undertake all US immigration, customs and agriculture inspections...".

Your comment is baffling. Why would there be a need to arrest anyone? The worst that could happen is that you're not allowed to get on the plane.

Because of customs, immigration contraventions or outstanding warrants they are able to arrest you on entry to the U.S. and question and investigate you. But in Ireland all they can do, as you say, is refuse you to fly and turn you away.
I think the U.S. authorities would prefer to get their hands on such people and add the info they get from interrogation to their enormous database rather than just letting them go free.

This is the info on the Dublin Airport website

Departures Gates
US Preclearance in 3 easy steps
Complete TSA security screening (this is the American security screening standard)
Self-process using one of our 18 self–service kiosks. These are available to US citizens and ESTA* passengers. US Citizens transaction time is 40 seconds and ESTA passengers 80 seconds at the kiosks.
- Scan your passport
- Have your photo taken
- ESTA passengers: scan your fingerprints
- Approval receipt is issued
Now present your approval receipt and passport to a US Preclearance of officer for a brief inspection

Nowhere does it mention what to do if you have visa waiver of ineligibility.
Preclearance is in reality moving the passport check desk in the U.S. to Dublin Airport but you still have the secondary check beyond the passport check in the U.S. I just wanted confirmation that they also moved the secondary check as well, or do they inform you you will need to go to secondary when you get to the U.S.

Could do with confirmation from someone has been through Dublin , that's all.

How do they know when you get to the U.S. that you have been through pre clearance or not. They must still do some kind of check at which point they could still pull you for secondary check.

Newyork
Old Jun 10th 2016, 3:38 pm
Forum Regular

[QUOTE=ian-mstm;11969844]This is correct.

Oops missed a bit

I totally agree with you Ian when it says "ALL" etc inspections but what it does not say is what happens when they have done their checks. Do they say, you need to go to secondary here in Dublin or do they say, sorry you will need to go to secondary in the U.S. when you arrive.
Now I may be wrong as you say but it is not about being wrong or right but about the finding out the correct procedure which if it is as you say (have you yourself been through a pre clearance desk at any airport ? ) then ,fantastic, it means many people on here from the UK including myself will no doubt use this facility at Dublin but we need actual experience rather than assumptions.

Newyork
Old Jun 10th 2016, 4:12 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Nowhere does it mention what to do if you have visa waiver of ineligibility.
Nothing happens... don't you understand that? You have a valid visa. The fact that you needed a waiver is not only irrelevant - it is, in fact, in your favor. The default assumption is not that you were an idiot in your youth, but that you have already been deemed suitable for travel by the US government.

Preclearance is in reality moving the passport check desk in the U.S. to Dublin Airport but you still have the secondary check beyond the passport check in the U.S.
No, you don't. Once you're on the plane it's considered a US domestic flight and lands at a domestic terminal - not at an international one. Result: no US immigration on landing.

How do they know when you get to the U.S. that you have been through pre clearance or not.
How? Because they aren't idiots. They know which airports pre-clear you and who's on which flight.

Do they say, you need to go to secondary here in Dublin or do they say, sorry you will need to go to secondary in the U.S. when you arrive.
Secondary is done in Dublin. If you are allowed on the plane, the flight is treated as domestic. US immigration doesn't do only half their job!

... have you yourself been through a pre clearance desk at any airport
Yes - many times.

To reiterate - you seem to think that having needed a waiver to get a visa is somehow a bad thing when you actually travel. It isn't.

Ian
Old Jun 10th 2016, 5:45 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
Nothing happens... don't you understand that? You have a valid visa. The fact that you needed a waiver is not only irrelevant - it is, in fact, in your favor. The default assumption is not that you were an idiot in your youth, but that you have already been deemed suitable for travel by the US government.

No, you don't. Once you're on the plane it's considered a US domestic flight and lands at a domestic terminal - not at an international one. Result: no US immigration on landing.

How? Because they aren't idiots. They know which airports pre-clear you and who's on which flight.

Secondary is done in Dublin. If you are allowed on the plane, the flight is treated as domestic. US immigration doesn't do only half their job!

Yes - many times.

To reiterate - you seem to think that having needed a waiver to get a visa is somehow a bad thing when you actually travel. It isn't.

Ian
Calm down Ian
All you had to do to answer my question about pre clearance which I know nothing about, that is why I am on this forum asking questions,which is the purpose of a forum, is say

Yes I have been through pre clearance at airports and this is how it works and what you do and where you go with your visa instead of using the self help kiosks and yes they do have secondary rooms at the pre clearance airports and you board a plane that has people on it who have all been precleared and you land at a domestic gate.
That would have answered everything I needed to know in an informative , straightforward friendly way. But no you come on in short staccato putdowns , aggressive and personally abusive rant. I hope everyone on here now realises that Ian regards you as all idiots for what you did in your past and in consequence will treat you with contempt and disrespect for asking reasonable questions
You might have lots of knowledge on here that people including me respect but your attitude leaves a lot to be desired.
Where did I ever say or indicate needing a waiver to get a visa is a bad thing and why do you presume to know what I think, are you clairvoyant or something.

Now I know from previous posts to others you don't care what people think and I dont care what you think of me and I will continue to post questions on here but hope I get replies from like minded people who respect and want to help you in a decent manner.

Last edited by Newyork; Jun 10th 2016 at 5:52 pm.
Old Jun 10th 2016, 7:27 pm
Account Closed

All you had to do to answer my question...
I did - everyone of them, including responding to comments you made!

Yes I have been through pre clearance at airports and this is how it works and what you do and where you go with your visa instead of using the self help kiosks and yes they do have secondary rooms at the pre clearance airports and you board a plane that has people on it who have all been precleared and you land at a domestic gate.
Isn't that just about what I wrote? Why should I write one long sentence when several shorter ones do the same thing... in a much more succinct and specific manner? I'm not sure why you think my response was "personally abusive"!

I hope everyone on here now realises that Ian regards you as all idiots for what you did in your past and in consequence will treat you with contempt and disrespect for asking reasonable questions
As it turns out, I don't regard all people as idiots (although many are). This, by the way, is why I almost never use absolutes in anything I write... although I note that many others do! You say "everyone" and "all idiots" as though the mere statements themselves prove your point... they don't. That said, I have no tolerance for stupidity... and have said as much on many occasions.

Ian
Old Jun 10th 2016, 9:37 pm
Just Joined

ontherox has a reputation beyond reputeontherox has a reputation beyond reputeontherox has a reputation beyond reputeontherox has a reputation beyond reputeontherox has a reputation beyond reputeontherox has a reputation beyond reputeontherox has a reputation beyond reputeontherox has a reputation beyond reputeontherox has a reputation beyond reputeontherox has a reputation beyond reputeontherox has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ontherox
I received an e-mail yesterday saying that they have released my documents to the courier service. I should be able to collected my passport today according to the tracking information on the DX website. I assume further details are included too though as I don't reallly know any details.
Passport received with one page having the US Visa attached. One year and multiple entries. I guess I'll start applying again in two months for a renewal.

I'm just surprised though that I have not received any letter or e-mail letting me know what has happened or what I've been given. Most is self-explanatory and I assumed Entries=M meant multiple entries but this didn't ease nerves of the girlfriend. A quick google confirmed this but even still I would have thought a standard letter would be sent at least.

Now planning a trip to New York
Old Jun 10th 2016, 10:02 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by ontherox
I have not received any letter or e-mail letting me know what has happened...
But you have - a notice from the US Consular Service requesting your passport... the underlying reason being that your waiver was approved as was your visa. What more were you expecting that wasn't answered by simply looking at the visa?

Ian
Old Jun 11th 2016, 7:31 am
Just Joined

Pointsmeanprizes is an unknown quantity at this point

What would happen if I spent so long at the immigration / visa / secondary check thingie at JFK airport (I hear this can be quite a lengthy process) and miss my connecting flight? Would they put me on the next available flight or would I have to pay for that myself?
Old Jun 11th 2016, 12:02 pm
Just Joined

ontherox has a reputation beyond reputeontherox has a reputation beyond reputeontherox has a reputation beyond reputeontherox has a reputation beyond reputeontherox has a reputation beyond reputeontherox has a reputation beyond reputeontherox has a reputation beyond reputeontherox has a reputation beyond reputeontherox has a reputation beyond reputeontherox has a reputation beyond reputeontherox has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
But you have - a notice from the US Consular Service requesting your passport... the underlying reason being that your waiver was approved as was your visa. What more were you expecting that wasn't answered by simply looking at the visa?

Ian
It's just the norm and common courtesy surely?

Whenever a bill comes through, you can find out what the bill is for but there will be an accompanying letter. When I send documents to a client by e-mail they will be able to find out what they are but I will always give a brief explanation of what they are and any key points. I just thought there may have been some text or a letter with it. There was when I went to London, but not here.

Anyway no big thing. Have it sorted and just relieved that I no longer have to give any awkward answers when asked to go to the US for work
Old Jun 11th 2016, 12:22 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Pointsmeanprizes
What would happen if I spent so long at the immigration / visa / secondary check thingie at JFK airport (I hear this can be quite a lengthy process) and miss my connecting flight?
You should schedule a connecting flight 2-3 hours after your international flight lands.

Would they put me on the next available flight or would I have to pay for that myself?
If by "they" you mean US immigration... they won't do anything. It's not their concern if you miss your connecting flight. The airline also isn't obligated to rebook you on another flight unless they know, in advance, that you're going to miss your scheduled flight. I suggest you keep your cell phone handy and know the airline's phone number. In most cases, you won't be required to pay for another flight.

Ian

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.