Anyone done N600K recently?

Old Feb 26th 2015, 11:58 am
Under blue skies

WEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Anyone done N600K recently?

Originally Posted by wolfft
In addition to copies of passport/birth certificates we also submitted evidence substantiating the length of time my mum had lived in the US. For this we used her High School and University graduation certificates/transcripts as well as the fact that her 1st US passport was issued in the US when she was 21. That was all accepted without any questions.

I would imagine that Social Security statements showing the years I've worked in the USA should be sufficient.

Best of luck with the application
Thanks for your kind wishes! And thanks again for posting your experience. It seems there aren't so many who undertake this application. I don't think it's very widely known.

Though it's not lengthy enough to give me full right to an American Social Security pension payment, my Social Security record is at least good evidence that I've lived and worked in the USA long enough as an adult to qualify my grandchild for the citizenship that his USC mother can't pass on due to her birth abroad & insufficient residence here in the USA.

I was also uncertain as to whether an interview was necessary in the case of babies, but in your case it was so we'll prepare for that.
Old Mar 13th 2015, 11:43 am
Just Joined

uscda is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by wolfft
I recently used the N600K to successfully apply for USC for my son shortly after he was born. This application was via my mum as I hadn't lived in the US for the required length of time. We applied from England.

We posted the N600k along with the required document to the Phoenix address and although a bit long (aprox 7 months) it was all relatively straight forward. The required interview has to be in the US so we initially opted for LA but then was able to change the location to Chicago. After a bit of chasing we were able to choose a convenient date for the interview. The interview at the USCIS office in Chicago lasted less than 10 minutes and was more of a formality. Everyone was very friendly and helpful and we left with our son's USC certificate!

We were never supplied nor were asked for proof that our child really lives with us. Though that may have been because he was only 9 months old!
Can you please tell me how you paid the $600 dollar fee? How do they know you've paid the fee? Do you need to send proof of payment with the N-600K form? I am able to send te money from the US.

Thank you!
Old Mar 13th 2015, 12:05 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by uscda
Can you please tell me how you paid the $600 dollar fee? How do they know you've paid the fee? Do you need to send proof of payment with the N-600K form?
Have you read the N-600K instructions? It's a separate form from the N-600K. It's all in there.

Ian
Old Mar 13th 2015, 12:16 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
Have you read the N-600K instructions? It's a separate form from the N-600K. It's all in there.

Ian
Yes I did. This is what I found:
Use the following guidelines when you prepare your check or money order for your Form N-600K fee:

1. The check or money order must be drawn on a bank or other financial institution located in the United States and must be payable in U.S. currency; and
2. Make the check or money payable to U.S. Department of Homeland Security

If you live outside the United States, contact the nearest U.S. Embassy or consulate for instructions on the method of payment.
I don't understand how the USCIS knows from who the payment is.. Is it possible in the US to send money to U.S. Department of Homeland Security without more information?

Contacting the consulate would take a long time..
Old Mar 13th 2015, 2:00 pm
Forum Regular

wolfft is an unknown quantity at this point

Yes I did. This is what I found:

I don't understand how the USCIS knows from who the payment is.. Is it possible in the US to send money to U.S. Department of Homeland Security without more information?

When I submitted the N600K I went to the local branch of my bank (Santander) and for a fee (I think £15 + the actual amount needed) they were able to issue a check, drawn on their main US branch located in the United States, payable to the U.S. Department of Homeland Security. I then included the check with the form in the N600K package that I posted. This was all very easy to do and I believe most UK banks can do this for you.

Hope this helps
Old Mar 13th 2015, 2:08 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

I don't understand how the USCIS knows from who the payment is.
Generally, the applicant's name is on the cheque or money order. Even if it's not, though, the cheque or money order will be attached to the application... so I'm pretty sure they'll know who it's from.

Is it possible in the US to send money to U.S. Department of Homeland Security without more information?
Yes... as long as it's attached to the application. Or, the person writing the cheque or money order can post it to you, and you can attach it to the application.

I guess I just don't understand why you're having difficulty with this.

Ian
Old Mar 13th 2015, 4:45 pm
Under blue skies

WEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond repute

Uscda, is it that the surnames of applicant and parent are different?

This will be true in my case--application by the parent for her child using the grandparent's physical presence proof. All three surnames are different. But I don't see it being a problem, since the documents included will include all three names, thus tying them to the application (and to the cheque or money order)....

I would make copies of everything you send, including the cheque/MO. (Always recommended for any application.)

Last edited by WEBlue; Mar 13th 2015 at 4:47 pm.
Old Mar 13th 2015, 7:30 pm
Just Joined

Thank you for your replies!

I was not sure what to do because I live in the Netherlands, and it is here really unusual to pay with cheques. Now I'm going to send the application to my grandfather in the U.S. first, and he will attach a cheque and sends it to USCIS. I will make copies of everything, thank you! I saw there are a lot of offices in the area of Los Angeles. Which office is the fastest? I am going in August to the U.S., so I hope that I can come for an interview then.

Thank you!
Old Mar 14th 2015, 12:35 pm
Just Joined

Instructions for N-600K says that you also have to give proof of legitimation. Is my birth certificate with my dad's name on it enough? I am born out of wedlock. I am now in the custody of my father and I am living with him, I am also sending proof of this. This is okay, isn't it?

Last edited by uscda; Mar 14th 2015 at 12:38 pm.
Old Mar 14th 2015, 5:37 pm
Account Closed

Is my birth certificate with my dad's name on it enough?
No.

I am now in the custody of my father and I am living with him, I am also sending proof of this.
This should do it. Keep in mind that this is not your application... it's your father's application. He must submit the N-600K on your behalf. Having his cooperation in this process is also proof.

Ian
Old Mar 14th 2015, 11:34 pm
Just Joined

Thank you so much!!

So does my father has to fill the form or can I fill the form? I am 16 years old so it seems that I have to sign the form..

Last edited by uscda; Mar 15th 2015 at 12:16 am.
Old Mar 15th 2015, 1:52 am
Under blue skies

So does my father has to fill the form or can I fill the form? I am 16 years old so it seems that I have to sign the form..
I think your father--as the USC by birth or naturalization--must make the application. So he is the actual applicant, I believe, even though he is making the application on your behalf, using the required US physical presence years of either himself or one of his USC parents (i.e. your grandparent) to transmit HIS US citizenship to you....

You have to sign Part 7 of the application (unless you're a child under 14... which you aren't) but it's not you that's filing the application.

At least this is what I understand so far. If I'm wrong, I'm sure I'll be corrected soon....
Old Mar 15th 2015, 10:08 am
Just Joined

Thank you!

My father has now filled the form, I have signed at Part 7 and my father has filled Part 8 (who prepared this form for you).

Again thanks!
Old Mar 15th 2015, 12:36 pm
Account Closed

My father has now filled the form, I have signed at Part 7 and my father has filled Part 8 (who prepared this form for you).
Stop! Right Now! I'm not sure what you're looking at, but you don't sign Part 7, and your father doesn't complete Part 8.

This is not an N-600 application... it is an N-600K application. The "K" is very important. They are two completely different forms. Here is the N-600K form. Here are the instructions for the N-600K.

Part 1 is about you - the child.
Part 2 is about you.
Part 3 is about your USC parent - the applicant.
Part 4 does not get completed in this case.
Part 5 is about your USC parent.
Part 6 does not get completed in this case.
Part 7 is about the location of the interview.
Part 8 is for either your signature (because you're over 14) or the USC parent's signature... one or the other, but not both.
Part 9 is completed by the USC parent.
Part 10 is completed by the USC parent at the interview and not before.
Part 11 is completed by the USCIS officer at the interview.

Both you and your father must attend the interview.

Ian
Old Mar 15th 2015, 1:05 pm
Under blue skies

I have a question about the documents/evidence that need/s to be sent. The official instructions say:

You may submit copies of documents unless USCIS requests original documents. Original documents submitted when not required may remain a part of the record and will not be automatically returned to you.

http://www.uscis.gov/sites/default/f...-600kinstr.pdf

Does this mean that it's best to send copies of ALL one's documents rather than originals?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.