Anyone done N600K recently?

Old Feb 22nd 2015, 12:45 am
  #1  
Under blue skies
Thread Starter
 
WEBlue's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2011
Location: East Anglia->New England
Posts: 3,624
WEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond repute
Default Anyone done N600K recently?

I asked about this here a couple of years ago and gained an understanding of the process of making an application to register US citizenship for a child born overseas to a USC parent who cannot transmit USC automatically to the child at birth.

Just wondering if anyone has actually done this recently...and how it worked.

I'm not clear as to which Field Office this application (from England, where the parents live) would be handled by, but all the FOs I've checked seem to process the N600 applications pretty quickly....

Any feedback greatly appreciated.
WEBlue is offline  
Old Feb 22nd 2015, 1:21 am
  #2  
Account Closed
 
Joined: Aug 2002
Location: Kentucky
Posts: 38,865
ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Anyone done N600K recently?

Originally Posted by WEBlue
Just wondering if anyone has actually done this recently...and how it worked.
The process hasn't changed any since you last inquired about it. The form seems pretty straight forward.

I'm not clear as to which Field Office this application ... would be handled by...
There is only one address where the N-600K goes. They will determine where it gets processed.

Ian
ian-mstm is offline  
Old Feb 22nd 2015, 2:34 am
  #3  
Under blue skies
Thread Starter
 
WEBlue's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2011
Location: East Anglia->New England
Posts: 3,624
WEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Anyone done N600K recently?

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
The process hasn't changed any since you last inquired about it. The form seems pretty straight forward.

There is only one address where the N-600K goes. They will determine where it gets processed.

Ian
Thanks, good to hear things haven't changed.

I'm wondering where it should be sent. One guide I think mentioned the Pheonix address. The instructions with the application, though, say to call an 800 number (USCIS National Customer Service Center) to find "the latest information on where to file the application", which I suppose is a good thing to do.....?

Last edited by WEBlue; Feb 22nd 2015 at 2:45 am. Reason: Added a bit
WEBlue is offline  
Old Feb 22nd 2015, 5:14 am
  #4  
MODERATOR
 
Noorah101's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2003
Location: Phoenix, Arizona
Posts: 58,678
Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Anyone done N600K recently?

Originally Posted by WEBlue
Thanks, good to hear things haven't changed.

I'm wondering where it should be sent. One guide I think mentioned the Pheonix address. The instructions with the application, though, say to call an 800 number (USCIS National Customer Service Center) to find "the latest information on where to file the application", which I suppose is a good thing to do.....?
Do you have a link to that "one guide"?

I would go with whatever is listed on the official Homepage | USCIS website.

Application for Citizenship and Issuance of Certificate Under Section 322 | USCIS

Actually, the N600K instructions (under Where to File) say that you should check the Homepage | USCIS website OR call the 1-800 number.

Rene
Noorah101 is offline  
Old Feb 22nd 2015, 1:26 pm
  #5  
Account Closed
 
Joined: Aug 2002
Location: Kentucky
Posts: 38,865
ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Anyone done N600K recently?

Originally Posted by WEBlue
One guide I think mentioned the Pheonix address.
AFAIK, the Phoenix address is the only one - and it's clearly posted on the USCIS web site.

Ian
ian-mstm is offline  
Old Feb 22nd 2015, 5:37 pm
  #6  
Under blue skies
Thread Starter
 
WEBlue's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2011
Location: East Anglia->New England
Posts: 3,624
WEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Anyone done N600K recently?

Originally Posted by Noorah101
Do you have a link to that "one guide"?

I would go with whatever is listed on the official Homepage | USCIS website.
Yep, that's the one.

Originally Posted by Noorah101
Application for Citizenship and Issuance of Certificate Under Section 322 | USCIS

Actually, the N600K instructions (under Where to File) say that you should check the Homepage | USCIS website OR call the 1-800 number.
Yes, I was wondering if we'd be better off calling, but it sounds as if we're overthinking this.... I assume we can believe the Pheonix address on the website is valid.

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
AFAIK, the Phoenix address is the only one - and it's clearly posted on the USCIS web site.
Just needed confirmation of that, thanks! The mum-to-be is finding some of the info on the USCIS website confusing/conflicting.

Thank you both for your input. It's very much appreciated!
WEBlue is offline  
Old Feb 23rd 2015, 2:37 pm
  #7  
Just Joined
 
Joined: Feb 2015
Posts: 13
uscda is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Anyone done N600K recently?

I am going to use the N-600K to claim citizenship. What proof do you use for the physical and legal custody requirement?

There is no minimum of time you have to be in custody, is there?

Last edited by uscda; Feb 23rd 2015 at 2:40 pm.
uscda is offline  
Old Feb 23rd 2015, 7:08 pm
  #8  
Under blue skies
Thread Starter
 
WEBlue's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2011
Location: East Anglia->New England
Posts: 3,624
WEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Anyone done N600K recently?

Originally Posted by uscda
I am going to use the N-600K to claim citizenship. What proof do you use for the physical and legal custody requirement?

There is no minimum of time you have to be in custody, is there?
I have no idea about the answer to this question, but I'm curious about which situations require this proof.
WEBlue is offline  
Old Feb 23rd 2015, 11:33 pm
  #9  
Just Joined
 
Joined: Feb 2015
Posts: 13
uscda is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Anyone done N600K recently?

One of the requirements is that the child has to be in the legal and physical custody of the US citizen parent. So, you need to proof that the child really lives with the parent (papers that show that the child has the same adress as the parent).
uscda is offline  
Old Feb 24th 2015, 1:08 am
  #10  
MODERATOR
 
Noorah101's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2003
Location: Phoenix, Arizona
Posts: 58,678
Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Anyone done N600K recently?

Depending on the age of the child, such proof could be medical records, school records, day care records, for example.

Rene
Noorah101 is offline  
Old Feb 24th 2015, 8:50 am
  #11  
Just Joined
 
Joined: Feb 2015
Posts: 13
uscda is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Anyone done N600K recently?

Originally Posted by Noorah101
Depending on the age of the child, such proof could be medical records, school records, day care records, for example.

Rene
Do you think they will accept a paper from my municipality where you can see both of our adresses (without more proof)? Do you know anything about a minimum you have to live with the parent? Could I, for example, live with my parent one week before we send the form until the process is done?

Thank you
uscda is offline  
Old Feb 24th 2015, 12:19 pm
  #12  
Account Closed
 
Joined: Aug 2002
Location: Kentucky
Posts: 38,865
ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Anyone done N600K recently?

Originally Posted by uscda
Do you think they will accept a paper from my municipality where you can see both of our adresses (without more proof)? Do you know anything about a minimum you have to live with the parent? Could I, for example, live with my parent one week before we send the form until the process is done?
In the grand scheme of things, most parents would find it relatively easy to demonstrate that their child is in their legal and physical custody. Since you seem overly concerned about this... is there an actual reason why you believe you can't demonstrate this?

Ian
ian-mstm is offline  
Old Feb 24th 2015, 2:40 pm
  #13  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Apr 2014
Posts: 72
wolfft is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Anyone done N600K recently?

I recently used the N600K to successfully apply for USC for my son shortly after he was born. This application was via my mum as I hadn't lived in the US for the required length of time. We applied from England.

We posted the N600k along with the required document to the Phoenix address and although a bit long (aprox 7 months) it was all relatively straight forward. The required interview has to be in the US so we initially opted for LA but then was able to change the location to Chicago. After a bit of chasing we were able to choose a convenient date for the interview. The interview at the USCIS office in Chicago lasted less than 10 minutes and was more of a formality. Everyone was very friendly and helpful and we left with our son's USC certificate!

We were never supplied nor were asked for proof that our child really lives with us. Though that may have been because he was only 9 months old!
wolfft is offline  
Old Feb 24th 2015, 10:21 pm
  #14  
Under blue skies
Thread Starter
 
WEBlue's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2011
Location: East Anglia->New England
Posts: 3,624
WEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Anyone done N600K recently?

Originally Posted by wolfft
I recently used the N600K to successfully apply for USC for my son shortly after he was born. This application was via my mum as I hadn't lived in the US for the required length of time. We applied from England.

We posted the N600k along with the required document to the Phoenix address and although a bit long (aprox 7 months) it was all relatively straight forward. The required interview has to be in the US so we initially opted for LA but then was able to change the location to Chicago. After a bit of chasing we were able to choose a convenient date for the interview. The interview at the USCIS office in Chicago lasted less than 10 minutes and was more of a formality. Everyone was very friendly and helpful and we left with our son's USC certificate!

We were never supplied nor were asked for proof that our child really lives with us. Though that may have been because he was only 9 months old!
Thank you so much for posting your family's experience, Wolfft!! That's exactly what we're going to do, use my residence time in the USA (as the grandmother) to pass on citizenship to my daughter's baby.

Was the 'required document' you mention something to prove that your mum had lived in the US for 5 years, 2 of them after age 14? I'm planning to use my Social Security statement showing the years I've worked in the USA, but I'm wondering if that will be sufficient....

Good to hear that you had no problem getting the certificate, but a bit disheartening to hear it took as long as 7 months. Ah well, lucky we're starting early in the baby's life...as you did!

Last edited by WEBlue; Feb 24th 2015 at 10:30 pm.
WEBlue is offline  
Old Feb 26th 2015, 9:54 am
  #15  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Apr 2014
Posts: 72
wolfft is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Anyone done N600K recently?

Originally Posted by WEBlue
Was the 'required document' you mention something to prove that your mum had lived in the US for 5 years, 2 of them after age 14? I'm planning to use my Social Security statement showing the years I've worked in the USA, but I'm wondering if that will be sufficient....
In addition to copies of passport/birth certificates we also submitted evidence substantiating the length of time my mum had lived in the US. For this we used her High School and University graduation certificates/transcripts as well as the fact that her 1st US passport was issued in the US when she was 21. That was all accepted without any questions.

I would imagine that Social Security statements showing the years I've worked in the USA should be sufficient.

Best of luck with the application
wolfft is offline  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.