Anyone done N600K recently?

Old Aug 12th 2016, 5:31 pm
Forum Regular

Vasileios has a reputation beyond reputeVasileios has a reputation beyond reputeVasileios has a reputation beyond reputeVasileios has a reputation beyond reputeVasileios has a reputation beyond reputeVasileios has a reputation beyond reputeVasileios has a reputation beyond reputeVasileios has a reputation beyond reputeVasileios has a reputation beyond reputeVasileios has a reputation beyond reputeVasileios has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Anyone done N600K recently?

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
They will process the application wherever it is most convenient for them, but you will interview at the office that is most convenient for you.

Go wherever you want. Getting the application processed is the part that takes all the time. Once the application has finished processing, the interview times will all be roughly the same... so it doesn't matter! Go wherever it's convenient for you.

Ian
Ok, Ian! Thanks again!
Old Aug 15th 2016, 12:40 am
Forum Regular

jmpowell is an unknown quantity at this point

https://egov.uscis.gov/cris/processTimesDisplayInit.do
You can also go to the site above to check the time frames for specific offices.

Appointment Friday, will advise of outcome once I have it. Sister is taking the instructions and law....
Old Aug 19th 2016, 1:10 am
Forum Regular

Visa approved this morning! It seems the prior agent was also not convinced of their return as there was an overstay prior. This time they took school transcripts, enrollment, employment records, and return trip tickets. Different agent and supposedly much friendlier. I feel for people in this process, luck of the draw and hope the agent is having a good day!

Next stop, USCIS appointment on 29 September. Will advise of process and outcome once we're done.

Need to research now about getting his US passport and SSN, I assume he goes to London again for another $200 appointment I've read that he may be able to obtain when he's in MN for the USCIS apt, but not sure how that works. If anyone has any idea...please let me know. I've learned a lot using this forum and now understand the more information you have, the better you are Thx everyone for telling your stories and for the people responding with their knowledge and advise.
Old Aug 19th 2016, 2:00 am
Forum Regular

To clarify...going this route, the grandparent does NOT need to be at the interview. It will state that in the letter you receive with your appointment from USCIS.
Old Aug 19th 2016, 2:02 am
Forum Regular

Grandparents do not need to attend interview....sorry I didn't see your post sooner.
Old Aug 19th 2016, 2:30 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jmpowell
Need to research now about getting his US passport and SSN...
Getting a US passport won't be an issue, but he won't be able to get a SSN. SSA does not issue numbers/cards to people who reside outside the US.

Ian
Old Aug 19th 2016, 2:55 am
Forum Regular

Good to know....thanks for the info.
Old Aug 19th 2016, 7:06 am
Under blue skies

WEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jmpowell
Visa approved this morning! It seems the prior agent was also not convinced of their return as there was an overstay prior. This time they took school transcripts, enrollment, employment records, and return trip tickets. Different agent and supposedly much friendlier. I feel for people in this process, luck of the draw and hope the agent is having a good day!

Next stop, USCIS appointment on 29 September. Will advise of process and outcome once we're done.

Need to research now about getting his US passport and SSN, I assume he goes to London again for another $200 appointment I've read that he may be able to obtain when he's in MN for the USCIS apt, but not sure how that works. If anyone has any idea...please let me know. I've learned a lot using this forum and now understand the more information you have, the better you are Thx everyone for telling your stories and for the people responding with their knowledge and advise.
Great news, Jmpowell! That must be a big relief....

Sorry, I'm not sure about getting the US passport inside the USA (while on a visit?), as I've only renewed mine from the UK in recent years. But I know the post office in the next town from me will give one a US passport application & take the passport photos as well. I've seen it done when I stand in line to buy stamps. However, any large pharmacy will usually take the passport photos for you, too, here in the US.
Old Aug 19th 2016, 7:31 am
Forum Regular

If they can do the passport during their trip, much better than having to go down to London again. Either way....extremely happy that we're still moving forward.
Old Aug 30th 2016, 3:31 am
Just Joined

texpat is an unknown quantity at this point
Post Re: Anyone done N600K recently?

USC expat living in Central England about to embark on the N-600K process.

About our case
  • Same-sex couple living in the UK since 2012, always living in the USA since birth (late 1970s for both) -- the 5 years + 2 since age 14 are no issue
  • Adopted 2 UK citizen children, who moved in with us in 2013, with the adoption finalised in 2014 -- 2 years legal and physical custody now done
  • We were not married at the time of adoption, but have since been legally married in England -- hopefully this does not present any sort of strange complication! (same-sex marriage was not legal in USA at the time of our adoption)
  • We are both USC by birth
  • Children have travelled to USA many times on ESTA, and never stayed longer than 2 weeks, and intend to travel on ESTA for any appearance/interview required
  • Children are currently both under the age of 10 -- don't want any issue of approaching 18 years so we're getting this done now!

So now we're at the "2 year legal custody" mark which we can prove with the formal adoption decree and the children's adoption certificates that serve as their birth certificates here in the UK. We technically had shared legal custody (with the council) from when they were placed to live with us (which we have formal documentation of, with dates), but after contacting USCIS field office in London, it seemed like that wasn't considered enough legal custody. So we decided to wait until a full 2 years has elapsed per the dates on all the official documents.

My only question at this point is regarding the interview. I see on this USCIS link that sometimes the interview is waived "if all the required documentation necessary to establish the applicant's eligibility is already included in USCIS administrative records..." (see Section G. Citizenship Interview and Waiver​). I'm thinking that this applies to cases where children have some administrative link already, perhaps from a previous sibling having undergone this process with the same parents? I did try many searches and looking through this entire thread but it wasn't obvious.

I look forward to follow-up here with how our process goes so others can benefit from additional data points.
Old Aug 30th 2016, 5:14 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by texpat
So we decided to wait until a full 2 years has elapsed per the dates on all the official documents.
I think yours will be a fairly straight forward case, as you are both USCs, you meet the requirements to pass citizenship to your children, and the adoption process has been finalized.

As for the link - assuming you submit the required documents that clearly indicate your eligibility to pass on citizenship and proof of the adoption, I think that'll establish the required administrative records. If, however, there is an interview - it'll likely be more of a formality than anything else.

Ian
Old Aug 30th 2016, 8:19 am
Forum Regular

gad33 has a reputation beyond reputegad33 has a reputation beyond reputegad33 has a reputation beyond reputegad33 has a reputation beyond reputegad33 has a reputation beyond reputegad33 has a reputation beyond reputegad33 has a reputation beyond reputegad33 has a reputation beyond reputegad33 has a reputation beyond reputegad33 has a reputation beyond reputegad33 has a reputation beyond repute

texpat -
you and the children will have to be interviewed. I don't know why they haven't updated that document. The tip sheet says that the USC parent and child must appear in person.

Also the tip sheet says what has to be provided when a child is born out of wedlock. I do not know how this applies to same sex couples.

https://www.uscis.gov/forms/citizens...te-citizenship
Old Aug 30th 2016, 9:00 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by texpat
  • We were not married at the time of adoption, but have since been legally married in England -- hopefully this does not present any sort of strange complication! (same-sex marriage was not legal in USA at the time of our adoption)
I don't see why it should be a problem, assuming it is a marriage not a civil partnership (the later are not recognized).
Old Sep 10th 2016, 2:53 am
Forum Regular

Vasileios has a reputation beyond reputeVasileios has a reputation beyond reputeVasileios has a reputation beyond reputeVasileios has a reputation beyond reputeVasileios has a reputation beyond reputeVasileios has a reputation beyond reputeVasileios has a reputation beyond reputeVasileios has a reputation beyond reputeVasileios has a reputation beyond reputeVasileios has a reputation beyond reputeVasileios has a reputation beyond repute

I posted today the 2 folders with the applications in one package, asking for convenience sake to be reviewed by the same uscis officer, and for an interview for my two children in the same date. I put all documents quite neatly in each folder, in accordance with the steps of the n600k application...
I hope things will go ok, I spent about 9months to gather all the documents, and countless hours over the phone and the internet/ emailing to get the necessary evidence.
Vasileios
Old Sep 12th 2016, 1:36 am
Just Joined

texpat is an unknown quantity at this point

I posted my 2 applications today, in one package, with a covering letter inside each folder explaining the relationship between the applications. I summarized every single document I include on the covering letter and am hoping that I didn't leave anything out. Now it's the waiting game!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.