Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Update Forum
Reload this Page >

An update from the Sunshine Coast

An update from the Sunshine Coast

Old Feb 8th 2007, 6:20 am
  #1  
BE Forum Addict
Thread Starter
 
glittababe's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2003
Location: Noosa Heads
Posts: 3,507
glittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond repute
Default An update from the Sunshine Coast

Firstly condolences to the family in WA who so sadly lost their dad, such a tragedy, our thoughts are with you at this terrible terrible time.

We were going to do an update last week, but with such sad news just couldn't bring ourselves to do it.

So in brief;

http://www.glittababe007.blogspot.com/

The children are well, enjoying school and life - free spirited as ever. Work is great, although reduced hours mean less $$$'s. Mark is doing well, he's away from us all week but I'm just grateful we can see him weekend (and annoy him)! We have settled into the community well and have lots of friends both aussie and pom. To look and listen to the boys you'd never even think they'd been to the UK let alone were born there! Next month we have visitors from the UK coming over and also our friends from Melbourne popping up! Social lives busy!

Cameron got his first 7ft longboard the other day! After proving to us he was serious about surfing, signing up to Nippers and practising on the soft board for the past 10 mths we finally brought him his first longboard! He's chuffed to bits (and so are we, cost $220 from local pro surfer who let Cameron have it just cos he felt it was 'right')! Lucky lucky boy. Its a beautiful board and has a lot of history to go with it.

Have no plans to return to the UK for a while, have discussed it with kids and just don't feel the need! Anything I miss???? Yes, Bisto Gravy Granules!!!!!! Anything the kids miss??? Ummm nope! Will also attach some pics. Good luck to everyone moving this way, take care Annie,Mark and boys
Attached Thumbnails An update from the Sunshine Coast-ausday9.jpg   An update from the Sunshine Coast-ausday11.jpg   An update from the Sunshine Coast-ausday12.jpg   An update from the Sunshine Coast-ausday17.jpg   An update from the Sunshine Coast-ausday15.jpg  

glittababe is offline  
Old Feb 8th 2007, 9:33 am
  #2  
BE Forum Addict
Thread Starter
 
glittababe's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2003
Location: Noosa Heads
Posts: 3,507
glittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: An update from the Sunshine Coast

Originally Posted by glittababe View Post
Firstly condolences to the family in WA who so sadly lost their dad, such a tragedy, our thoughts are with you at this terrible terrible time.

We were going to do an update last week, but with such sad news just couldn't bring ourselves to do it.

So in brief;

http://www.glittababe007.blogspot.com/

The children are well, enjoying school and life - free spirited as ever. Work is great, although reduced hours mean less $$$'s. Mark is doing well, he's away from us all week but I'm just grateful we can see him weekend (and annoy him)! We have settled into the community well and have lots of friends both aussie and pom. To look and listen to the boys you'd never even think they'd been to the UK let alone were born there! Next month we have visitors from the UK coming over and also our friends from Melbourne popping up! Social lives busy!

Cameron got his first 7ft longboard the other day! After proving to us he was serious about surfing, signing up to Nippers and practising on the soft board for the past 10 mths we finally brought him his first longboard! He's chuffed to bits (and so are we, cost $220 from local pro surfer who let Cameron have it just cos he felt it was 'right')! Lucky lucky boy. Its a beautiful board and has a lot of history to go with it.

Have no plans to return to the UK for a while, have discussed it with kids and just don't feel the need! Anything I miss???? Yes, Bisto Gravy Granules!!!!!! Anything the kids miss??? Ummm nope! Will also attach some pics. Good luck to everyone moving this way, take care Annie,Mark and boys
and some more pics!
Attached Thumbnails An update from the Sunshine Coast-teatreebaynoosa3.jpg   An update from the Sunshine Coast-teatreebayreef.jpg   An update from the Sunshine Coast-newyearsevenoosa2.jpg   An update from the Sunshine Coast-waterfun5.jpg   An update from the Sunshine Coast-waterfun6.jpg  

glittababe is offline  
Old Feb 8th 2007, 9:49 am
  #3  
BE Enthusiast
 
Joined: Jul 2005
Location: Darwin, NT
Posts: 380
suebrennan is a splendid one to beholdsuebrennan is a splendid one to beholdsuebrennan is a splendid one to beholdsuebrennan is a splendid one to beholdsuebrennan is a splendid one to beholdsuebrennan is a splendid one to beholdsuebrennan is a splendid one to beholdsuebrennan is a splendid one to beholdsuebrennan is a splendid one to beholdsuebrennan is a splendid one to beholdsuebrennan is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: An update from the Sunshine Coast

Originally Posted by glittababe View Post
and some more pics!
Hey - great pics - thanks for taking the time to post.

Sue
suebrennan is offline  
Old Feb 8th 2007, 10:47 am
  #4  
Naughty but nice...
 
Wendy's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2005
Location: at the bottom of a wine glass
Posts: 28,176
Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: An update from the Sunshine Coast

Nice post Annie

Glad you are enjoying this beautiful country, and really pleased that your kiddies are doing well. I know mine have blossomed since being here, and that's what it's all about isn't it
Wendy is offline  
Old Feb 8th 2007, 2:05 pm
  #5  
BE Forum Addict
 
Scrawni 2's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2007
Posts: 1,187
Scrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: An update from the Sunshine Coast

Originally Posted by Wendy View Post
Nice post Annie

Glad you are enjoying this beautiful country, and really pleased that your kiddies are doing well. I know mine have blossomed since being here, and that's what it's all about isn't it
I remember you glitterbabe. So gland everything has work out for you and that you are now happy and settled. I loved reading your blog, some lovely photos on there. Anyway, we came back too but we are now thinking about heading out there again. It's just a thought though and we need to look into it further.

Anyway all the best and carry on enjoying life!

Mandy
Scrawni 2 is offline  
Old Feb 8th 2007, 5:00 pm
  #6  
 
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 945
RooksieJ is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: An update from the Sunshine Coast

Originally Posted by glittababe View Post
Firstly condolences to the family in WA who so sadly lost their dad, such a tragedy, our thoughts are with you at this terrible terrible time.

We were going to do an update last week, but with such sad news just couldn't bring ourselves to do it.

So in brief;

http://www.glittababe007.blogspot.com/

The children are well, enjoying school and life - free spirited as ever. Work is great, although reduced hours mean less $$$'s. Mark is doing well, he's away from us all week but I'm just grateful we can see him weekend (and annoy him)! We have settled into the community well and have lots of friends both aussie and pom. To look and listen to the boys you'd never even think they'd been to the UK let alone were born there! Next month we have visitors from the UK coming over and also our friends from Melbourne popping up! Social lives busy!

Cameron got his first 7ft longboard the other day! After proving to us he was serious about surfing, signing up to Nippers and practising on the soft board for the past 10 mths we finally brought him his first longboard! He's chuffed to bits (and so are we, cost $220 from local pro surfer who let Cameron have it just cos he felt it was 'right')! Lucky lucky boy. Its a beautiful board and has a lot of history to go with it.

Have no plans to return to the UK for a while, have discussed it with kids and just don't feel the need! Anything I miss???? Yes, Bisto Gravy Granules!!!!!! Anything the kids miss??? Ummm nope! Will also attach some pics. Good luck to everyone moving this way, take care Annie,Mark and boys
didnt realise you were on Sunshine Coast lady!!!! Good move

Happy Days J x
RooksieJ is offline  
Old Feb 8th 2007, 8:44 pm
  #7  
BE Forum Addict
Thread Starter
 
glittababe's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2003
Location: Noosa Heads
Posts: 3,507
glittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: An update from the Sunshine Coast

Originally Posted by Scrawni 2 View Post
I remember you glitterbabe. So gland everything has work out for you and that you are now happy and settled. I loved reading your blog, some lovely photos on there. Anyway, we came back too but we are now thinking about heading out there again. It's just a thought though and we need to look into it further.

Anyway all the best and carry on enjoying life!

Mandy
OMG where have you been? (aside from the UK)! Its a very diffciult decision, the UK does have a lot to offer. We found the decision to return very diffcult as we loved where we were and had good jobs etc. Something just wasn't right though. This time settling wasw so much easier, partly cos we chose the right area and partly cos we knew what to expect. No feelings of homesickness (even when hubby hadn't got a job after 10 mths - well aside from stacking shelves at Big W)!!! It really feels as if we hadn't left, just moved up the coast a bit. Our mates are mainly Aussie, but we have a few close expats too - all are great sounding boards if we ever need to talk! Our life in terms of general happiness is the same as the UK. We never came out here expecting life to be perfect, it helps that we're optimistic and just generally go with the flow.

The boys are also very laid back in their approach to life, they love living here although we have to remind them just how lucky they are. They're definately spoilt in terms of culture, but not material things!!! (no hope of that) Hope this helps if you're thinking of ping ponging! Its not as bad as it seems and it actual fact, a good aussie mate of mine told me that in her experience, those poms that stay are the ones who have ping ponged and the ones that appreciate and love not only Australia but the UK too.
glittababe is offline  
Old Feb 8th 2007, 9:01 pm
  #8  
 
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 945
RooksieJ is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: An update from the Sunshine Coast

god i so hope youre right!!!
RooksieJ is offline  
Old Feb 8th 2007, 9:12 pm
  #9  
visa holder
 
Joined: Jan 2006
Location: Thornlands, Bayside
Posts: 1,964
mark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond reputemark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond reputemark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond reputemark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond reputemark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond reputemark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond reputemark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond reputemark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond reputemark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond reputemark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond reputemark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: An update from the Sunshine Coast

Thanks for the update. Sounds like you are having a great time. Lovely pics

All the best.

Joex
mark 'n' joe is offline  
Old Feb 9th 2007, 7:39 am
  #10  
 
Clippy's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2005
Location: Mount Tamborine
Posts: 17,426
Clippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: An update from the Sunshine Coast

Fantastic pics, great post
Clippy is offline  
Old Feb 9th 2007, 7:46 am
  #11  
BE Forum Addict
 
Scrawni 2's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2007
Posts: 1,187
Scrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: An update from the Sunshine Coast

Originally Posted by glittababe View Post
OMG where have you been? (aside from the UK)! Its a very diffciult decision, the UK does have a lot to offer. We found the decision to return very diffcult as we loved where we were and had good jobs etc. Something just wasn't right though. This time settling wasw so much easier, partly cos we chose the right area and partly cos we knew what to expect. No feelings of homesickness (even when hubby hadn't got a job after 10 mths - well aside from stacking shelves at Big W)!!! It really feels as if we hadn't left, just moved up the coast a bit. Our mates are mainly Aussie, but we have a few close expats too - all are great sounding boards if we ever need to talk! Our life in terms of general happiness is the same as the UK. We never came out here expecting life to be perfect, it helps that we're optimistic and just generally go with the flow.

The boys are also very laid back in their approach to life, they love living here although we have to remind them just how lucky they are. They're definately spoilt in terms of culture, but not material things!!! (no hope of that) Hope this helps if you're thinking of ping ponging! Its not as bad as it seems and it actual fact, a good aussie mate of mine told me that in her experience, those poms that stay are the ones who have ping ponged and the ones that appreciate and love not only Australia but the UK too.
Great to hear from you again. The strange thing is I never thought it would be me thinking about going back and trying again. If you had told me that 12 months ago I would have thought you were insane!

Now that I am thinking about it I cannot seem to shake the idea away. It's like and itch that I can't get rid of. I'm not sure if we will head back up to Cairns (although I loved the place) if we do go.

How did your family react to the idea of you heading back? That's the one of the things that I will dread. Unfortunately if we decide to return I think we are going to have a big struggle with our 12 year old. He didn't want to go last time and doesn't want to go this time. The thing is, I think he was feeding off my feeling and my homesickness and this is the first time I think that I have admitted that to myself.

Hubbie say if we go back then it's for good, so I had better be sure. But how sure is enough? I do love the uk so its not that I want to run away from this country. It has more to do with us as a family and lifestyle.

Mandy
Scrawni 2 is offline  
Old Feb 9th 2007, 8:16 am
  #12  
 
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 945
RooksieJ is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: An update from the Sunshine Coast

Originally Posted by Scrawni 2 View Post
Great to hear from you again. The strange thing is I never thought it would be me thinking about going back and trying again. If you had told me that 12 months ago I would have thought you were insane!

Now that I am thinking about it I cannot seem to shake the idea away. It's like and itch that I can't get rid of. I'm not sure if we will head back up to Cairns (although I loved the place) if we do go.

How did your family react to the idea of you heading back? That's the one of the things that I will dread. Unfortunately if we decide to return I think we are going to have a big struggle with our 12 year old. He didn't want to go last time and doesn't want to go this time. The thing is, I think he was feeding off my feeling and my homesickness and this is the first time I think that I have admitted that to myself.

Hubbie say if we go back then it's for good, so I had better be sure. But how sure is enough? I do love the uk so its not that I want to run away from this country. It has more to do with us as a family and lifestyle.

Mandy
BLOODY HELL are we leading parallel lives!?!?!?

exactly the same here. i cannot believe i am even contemplating going back i had such a rough time last year but like you i cant seem to get the idea out of my head. again, we also have an 11 year old (coming 12) who hated the idea of going before let alone for a second time!!

we got to keep in touch for sure!!
RooksieJ is offline  
Old Feb 9th 2007, 8:46 am
  #13  
 
Joined: Jan 2007
Posts: 948
snow-white is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: An update from the Sunshine Coast

Originally Posted by RooksieJ View Post
BLOODY HELL are we leading parallel lives!?!?!?

exactly the same here. i cannot believe i am even contemplating going back i had such a rough time last year but like you i cant seem to get the idea out of my head. again, we also have an 11 year old (coming 12) who hated the idea of going before let alone for a second time!!

we got to keep in touch for sure!!
so theres a few of you on here who have been came back and want to go again?
how long were you all there before you decided you wanted to come back and was it just missing friends and family that made you come back
lesley
snow-white is offline  
Old Feb 9th 2007, 8:57 am
  #14  
 
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 945
RooksieJ is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: An update from the Sunshine Coast

Originally Posted by lesleyhunter79 View Post
so theres a few of you on here who have been came back and want to go again?
how long were you all there before you decided you wanted to come back and was it just missing friends and family that made you come back
lesley
bit unique really - i discovered i was pregnant the day we landed in brisbane!!!! i get very bad hyperemesis and spent the whole time we were there (grand total of 6 weeks!!!) in bed. i thought "fekk this" and we came home. baby born last november (we now have 3 girls) and we are thinking "bugger! why didnt we stay!?!"

yeah i missed friends and family but to be honest we really didnt experience life in Oz at all. i think we need to write off last year and start over! my main concern is our eldest daughter who didnt want to go first time round let alone second! she is going to be a nightmare!
RooksieJ is offline  
Old Feb 9th 2007, 10:04 am
  #15  
BE Forum Addict
Thread Starter
 
glittababe's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2003
Location: Noosa Heads
Posts: 3,507
glittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: An update from the Sunshine Coast

Originally Posted by RooksieJ View Post
bit unique really - i discovered i was pregnant the day we landed in brisbane!!!! i get very bad hyperemesis and spent the whole time we were there (grand total of 6 weeks!!!) in bed. i thought "fekk this" and we came home. baby born last november (we now have 3 girls) and we are thinking "bugger! why didnt we stay!?!"

yeah i missed friends and family but to be honest we really didnt experience life in Oz at all. i think we need to write off last year and start over! my main concern is our eldest daughter who didnt want to go first time round let alone second! she is going to be a nightmare!
that is unique, I think you're you're right to write it all off and start again! Congrats on littlen, it'll be fab coming back, once the flights are over and done with, kids are settled at school etc Just remember to give it all time, time to settle, time to get a job - you can quickly become very disillusioned with oz when you haven't found reg income after 6 mths!!!! We just stuck it out, enjoyed every day as much as poss and kept on trying (my dad always said I was very trying)! I found work within the first week or so of landing, so I was the one that had to work full time, Mark found this very difficult but being the determined lad he is, he took to doing the house husband stuff and worked evenings stacking shelves. Luckily all thats behind us now.

Try not to get too caught up in what everyone else is doing (expats). Everyone is different and you'll find some folk buying straight away, others renting etc Just do whats best for you, your family and your finances. Don't compare!
glittababe is offline  

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.