Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Update Forum
Reload this Page >

An update from the Sunshine Coast

An update from the Sunshine Coast

Old Feb 19th 2007, 8:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

glittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: An update from the Sunshine Coast

Originally Posted by Clippies
Righ that's it, sod Perth - I'm coming there, sounds fab
remember inbetween all that you have to work tho! Just got up, raining, will drop kids to school and go to work. Sound familiar?
Old Feb 19th 2007, 8:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

glittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mandoz
Hi,

just wanted to join in your thread, if thats ok?

Bit about me....Six years in sydney- back to uk for 18months.
I agree that the stress of migrating was BAD!. We had such a tough time too.
OH found it impossible to find work and ended up with a career change...I also found it hard to get work. We lived with in-laws for 5months Arrrrgh!

18months on we are in a better position. BUT...I dont want to spend the rest of my life in the UK. Not sure I can go through the whole thing again....plus Sydney...as much as I love that place! Is a financial nightmare to live when you have a young family (part of the reason for coming back to uk)

Anyway just wanted to chat about some positives of going back. My little boys only 2 so at least he cant argue...YET

Anyway he is a true aussie anyway, (born there) bless him
Wound you consider moving up the coast a bit? There are some beautiful places along the NSW coastline (and hinterland for that matter)! Does you have to be near a city for work?

Things we considered re location were:

things to do
schools
work
economy in area and expansion
water restrictions
being close to surf beaches
Old Feb 19th 2007, 10:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

Nikki has a reputation beyond reputeNikki has a reputation beyond reputeNikki has a reputation beyond reputeNikki has a reputation beyond reputeNikki has a reputation beyond reputeNikki has a reputation beyond reputeNikki has a reputation beyond reputeNikki has a reputation beyond reputeNikki has a reputation beyond reputeNikki has a reputation beyond reputeNikki has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

We are in the Hunter Valley which is only 2 hours from Sydney, it is a bit inland, we have the vineyards on our doorstep, there is plenty to see and do. We also have the Port Stephens beaches just 40 minutes away.

We have 3 young children and they love it here!

Nikki

Last edited by Nikki; Feb 19th 2007 at 10:31 pm. Reason: spelling!
Old Feb 20th 2007, 7:00 am

Clippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by glittababe
remember inbetween all that you have to work tho! Just got up, raining, will drop kids to school and go to work. Sound familiar?
No! I don't work here! Full time mom. Hope Dale can get work though wherever we end up
Old Feb 20th 2007, 4:01 pm
Forum Regular

Location: herts-sydney-herts-manchester...next stop mornington peninsula?
mandoz will become famous soon enoughmandoz will become famous soon enough

Wound you consider moving up the coast a bit? There are some beautiful places along the NSW coastline (and hinterland for that matter)! Does you have to be near a city for work?

Things we considered re location were:

things to do
schools
work
economy in area and expansion
water restrictions
being close to surf beaches
Yep we- may have to consider living elsewhere. Sydney is tough, tough, tough! Especially with a young family. Just its hard to blindly pick a spot we've never been to before, IYKWIM!

Any suggestions welcome. Bit drawn to Melbourne actually...but we are complete beach bottoms so not sure on that score.
Old Feb 20th 2007, 4:03 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Nikki
Hi

We are in the Hunter Valley which is only 2 hours from Sydney, it is a bit inland, we have the vineyards on our doorstep, there is plenty to see and do. We also have the Port Stephens beaches just 40 minutes away.

We have 3 young children and they love it here!

Nikki
Hi Nikki

Could work for us...been to hunter many a time it is georgous!
Old Feb 20th 2007, 7:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

Nikki has a reputation beyond reputeNikki has a reputation beyond reputeNikki has a reputation beyond reputeNikki has a reputation beyond reputeNikki has a reputation beyond reputeNikki has a reputation beyond reputeNikki has a reputation beyond reputeNikki has a reputation beyond reputeNikki has a reputation beyond reputeNikki has a reputation beyond reputeNikki has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Nikki

Could work for us...been to hunter many a time it is georgous!
Hi

We love it here, there are lots of rural small towns round and about, but we ar living in Cessnock which is large and has all the things we need! I think years ago the town had a stigma about it high enemployment etc...but it seems to have undergone a regeneration programme and the growth of the vineyards and tourist industry have boosted the town considerably.

It was really the vineyards that sold this are to us, also we can visit the beaches at Port Stephens which are absolutely beautiful. We only found the Lakes area around Lake Macquarie a few weeks ago, finding new things all the time. As I said, Sydney is only 2 hours on the freeway (actually we can get to Hornsby in just over an hour, the rest depends on Sydney traffic!).

As you know we have kids, after a shakey start I have thrown myself into volunteering at the kids school, I have been accepted by the locals who have made us so welcome, it is the kind of place where people recognise you on the street and stop and chat, my old UK villiage was like that so I find it that reminds me of home.

The house prices are still quite decent.

Hope you find an area you like and good luck for the future.
Old Feb 20th 2007, 8:14 pm
Forum Regular

Hi

We love it here, there are lots of rural small towns round and about, but we ar living in Cessnock which is large and has all the things we need! I think years ago the town had a stigma about it high enemployment etc...but it seems to have undergone a regeneration programme and the growth of the vineyards and tourist industry have boosted the town considerably.

It was really the vineyards that sold this are to us, also we can visit the beaches at Port Stephens which are absolutely beautiful. We only found the Lakes area around Lake Macquarie a few weeks ago, finding new things all the time. As I said, Sydney is only 2 hours on the freeway (actually we can get to Hornsby in just over an hour, the rest depends on Sydney traffic!).

As you know we have kids, after a shakey start I have thrown myself into volunteering at the kids school, I have been accepted by the locals who have made us so welcome, it is the kind of place where people recognise you on the street and stop and chat, my old UK villiage was like that so I find it that reminds me of home.

The house prices are still quite decent.

Hope you find an area you like and good luck for the future.
Sorry ,you might have said this in earlier post, but how long have you been there now?

Couldnt help but notice as well that you had your meds in manchester? Not from around that neck of the woods are you? Thats where we are now.

Thanks for the advice, I will have a look at prices on domain. Seems even the rents are too steep in sydney these days
Old Feb 20th 2007, 8:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

Sorry ,you might have said this in earlier post, but how long have you been there now?

Couldnt help but notice as well that you had your meds in manchester? Not from around that neck of the woods are you? Thats where we are now.

Thanks for the advice, I will have a look at prices on domain. Seems even the rents are too steep in sydney these days
Hi

We have been here since sept. 06, almost 6 months!! Yes we are/were from Manchester, we still have our house in East Didsbury which is rented out.

Nikki
Old Feb 20th 2007, 8:33 pm
Forum Regular

Smart move...re renting your place out.

We are in Sale

Quite like it...it will feel better in the summer tho. How are you coping with the heat there?
Have you managed to buy over there as well or are you renting?

Just looking at domain....and weighing up pros and cons
Old Feb 20th 2007, 8:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

Smart move...re renting your place out.

We are in Sale

Quite like it...it will feel better in the summer tho. How are you coping with the heat there?
Have you managed to buy over there as well or are you renting?

Just looking at domain....and weighing up pros and cons
We are in rented and have bought some land, our plans have gone into coucil and it should be ready in 6 months or so......

Will feel much better when we have our own place, my 2 boys are sharing at them moment, the house is too small for a family of 5!!!!

Off on the school run now, catch you again.

Nikki
Old Feb 20th 2007, 8:39 pm
Forum Regular

We are in rented and have bought some land, our plans have gone into coucil and it should be ready in 6 months or so......

Will feel much better when we have our own place, my 2 boys are sharing at them moment, the house is too small for a family of 5!!!!

Off on the school run now, catch you again.

Nikki
Hope so Nikki- nice talking to you-
Old Feb 23rd 2007, 9:48 am
Forum Regular

beckyandmarv will become famous soon enough

hi i thought i would jump in too, hope thats ok

We are about to embark on the dreaded visa application...........
and The Sunshine Coast is where we want to go, so badly, It looks beautiful, the pics of your kids and the scenery are stunning, and now i want to cry...........

Is live as good out there as i keep reading?

Becky
Old Feb 24th 2007, 9:49 pm
egghead4+becky

egghead4 has much to be proud ofegghead4 has much to be proud ofegghead4 has much to be proud ofegghead4 has much to be proud ofegghead4 has much to be proud ofegghead4 has much to be proud ofegghead4 has much to be proud ofegghead4 has much to be proud ofegghead4 has much to be proud ofegghead4 has much to be proud ofegghead4 has much to be proud of

[QUOTE=beckyandmarv;4445385]hi i thought i would jump in too, hope thats ok

We are about to embark on the dreaded visa application...........
and The Sunshine Coast is where we want to go, so badly,

hi becky and marv
my name is also becky, OH is chris. we have just had our tra accepted so we too are about to embark on the visa app. we also love the look of the sunshine coast, and feel this will probably be the place for us.
its great reading about how well people are doing on the SC isn't it.
what type of vias are you applying for?
we are 136 modl
keep in touch
bec
Old Apr 22nd 2007, 5:42 am
BE Enthusiast

raven is a splendid one to beholdraven is a splendid one to beholdraven is a splendid one to beholdraven is a splendid one to beholdraven is a splendid one to beholdraven is a splendid one to beholdraven is a splendid one to beholdraven is a splendid one to beholdraven is a splendid one to beholdraven is a splendid one to beholdraven is a splendid one to behold

Firstly condolences to the family in WA who so sadly lost their dad, such a tragedy, our thoughts are with you at this terrible terrible time.

We were going to do an update last week, but with such sad news just couldn't bring ourselves to do it.

So in brief;

http://www.glittababe007.blogspot.com/

The children are well, enjoying school and life - free spirited as ever. Work is great, although reduced hours mean less $$$'s. Mark is doing well, he's away from us all week but I'm just grateful we can see him weekend (and annoy him)! We have settled into the community well and have lots of friends both aussie and pom. To look and listen to the boys you'd never even think they'd been to the UK let alone were born there! Next month we have visitors from the UK coming over and also our friends from Melbourne popping up! Social lives busy!

Cameron got his first 7ft longboard the other day! After proving to us he was serious about surfing, signing up to Nippers and practising on the soft board for the past 10 mths we finally brought him his first longboard! He's chuffed to bits (and so are we, cost $220 from local pro surfer who let Cameron have it just cos he felt it was 'right')! Lucky lucky boy. Its a beautiful board and has a lot of history to go with it.

Have no plans to return to the UK for a while, have discussed it with kids and just don't feel the need! Anything I miss???? Yes, Bisto Gravy Granules!!!!!! Anything the kids miss??? Ummm nope! Will also attach some pics. Good luck to everyone moving this way, take care Annie,Mark and boys
Hey Glitterbabe. dont know if u know but u can get bisto from the english shop in Caloundra
Enjoy
Raven

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.