Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Update Forum
Reload this Page >

An update from the Sunshine Coast

An update from the Sunshine Coast

Old Feb 18th 2007, 8:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

Nikki has a reputation beyond reputeNikki has a reputation beyond reputeNikki has a reputation beyond reputeNikki has a reputation beyond reputeNikki has a reputation beyond reputeNikki has a reputation beyond reputeNikki has a reputation beyond reputeNikki has a reputation beyond reputeNikki has a reputation beyond reputeNikki has a reputation beyond reputeNikki has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: An update from the Sunshine Coast

Originally Posted by RooksieJ
no mate and get this...........................MY ELDEST DAUGHTER IS NOW KEEN ON THE IDEA!!!!!!!!!!!!

I AM SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO HAPPY

up until today she really hated the idea of going back but she has just told me she wants to go now

fekk me i need a drink!!!!
Told you so...LOL, cannot believe you have the house on the market, I know you said you were considering returning but now you are all guns blazing!!!

I wish you all the luck in the world.

Nikki x
Old Feb 18th 2007, 8:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

chance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond repute

ahh mate thanks you got to come and join me girl
Thats really good news Rooksie, you can start to get excited now !
I wasnt well either (depression) when the first time so feel the unfinished business thing. On the outside ppl v surprised when I said I was going back as good job, lots of friends, good school for kids etc but inside I felt I was dying and I NEEDED to go back in order to get better.
I dont like the thought of something beating me. Its not a better country - they both have good and bad in them, but it was a challenge that I didnt quite finish. Wouldnt even care if I went and came back again provided I thought I could hold my hand up and say i gave it 100%.
Thing is OH (who never wanted to come back) is understandably v apprehensive one, incase it turns out like last time So we will wait til we are both wanting to try again at the same time.
Perhaps itll happen, perhaps not. So for now be grateful for the UK and good lifestyle I have here, and all the other positives of which there are many of this country.
You are right though...Last time we lost all our money, nearly split up, went through so much grief i cant discuss here and here I am trying to tell him it'll be ok this time WE ARE DEFINATELY MAD!
Old Feb 18th 2007, 8:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

Scrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond repute

RooksieJ that's great new about your daughter, I am so pleased for you.

All I have to do now is work on my son and I not sure how to go about it yet

Can I just say to glittababe, sorry we seemed to have hijacked you thread abit

Gawd, it's driving me mad not being able to make a decision, mind, Rome wasn't built in a day!

Chance to be, I know where you are coming from, I cannot belive it is me that is thinking about returning. Like you, I am enjoying my life at the moment and I wonder if my reason for wanting to return is because I feel so settled and secure at the moment??

Oh and welcome to the mad house
Old Feb 18th 2007, 9:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

Nikki has a reputation beyond reputeNikki has a reputation beyond reputeNikki has a reputation beyond reputeNikki has a reputation beyond reputeNikki has a reputation beyond reputeNikki has a reputation beyond reputeNikki has a reputation beyond reputeNikki has a reputation beyond reputeNikki has a reputation beyond reputeNikki has a reputation beyond reputeNikki has a reputation beyond repute

Hey Glittababe

Just to get your thread back on track..... , I have 10 visitors coming over from the UK in April, they are spending time in Perth, Sydney, Cairns, Hunter Valley and Brisbane....at the moment they have no plans for the Brisbane end of the trip and have asked me to help with organising things to see and do!!

I will also be flying to Brisbane with my family so all in all there will be 15 of us, one of the party is currently backpacking and thinks the Sunshine Coast will be the best place to spend our time. Other than Steve Irwins Zoo I don't know where to start. Any suggestions??

I really would like to show them some breathtaking sights (there are plenty of thos on your fantastic blog), some things to do without blowing the budget would help, I think it would be nice to do things the aussie way, rather than eating in restaurants for breakfast, lunch and dinner every day...bbq's on the beach and the like would be nice.

Also, any ideas on accommodation.

Hope you don't mind me bugging you, but personal experiences are far better than picking something from a brochure and then being disappointed.

Nikki x
Old Feb 18th 2007, 10:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

glittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nikki
Hey Glittababe

Just to get your thread back on track..... , I have 10 visitors coming over from the UK in April, they are spending time in Perth, Sydney, Cairns, Hunter Valley and Brisbane....at the moment they have no plans for the Brisbane end of the trip and have asked me to help with organising things to see and do!!

I will also be flying to Brisbane with my family so all in all there will be 15 of us, one of the party is currently backpacking and thinks the Sunshine Coast will be the best place to spend our time. Other than Steve Irwins Zoo I don't know where to start. Any suggestions??

I really would like to show them some breathtaking sights (there are plenty of thos on your fantastic blog), some things to do without blowing the budget would help, I think it would be nice to do things the aussie way, rather than eating in restaurants for breakfast, lunch and dinner every day...bbq's on the beach and the like would be nice.

Also, any ideas on accommodation.

Hope you don't mind me bugging you, but personal experiences are far better than picking something from a brochure and then being disappointed.

Nikki x
Ahh Mandi, you lot can hijack my thread anytime! OK things to do on sunshine coast (free things that is). Depends on what you like doing really. We love the outside so we spend time kayaking, cycling and bush walking. Beaches are always free, expecially if you prepare in advance and take a picnic and drinks!

Glasshouse Mountains - BBQ's and toilets, nice walks and views
Australia Zoo - not free but well worth the money as its the whole day
Moloolabah Wharf - plenty to do for kids, shopping, play parks etc
Mapleton Falls NP - walks, views, great 4WD trek (we got bogged)!
Kondilia Falls NP (long walk there through rainforest, over 54km) - picnic areas, bbq facilities, toilets and of course the swimming holes
Montville - beautiful hinterland village, shopping, play park, Lake Baroon just down the road
Kenilworth 4WD - takes you into the forest, more swimming holes, day use areas with BBQ's and toilets
Eumundi Markets (wed and sats) - bit of culture! Treefellers restaurant there great! Eumundi Winery - Sunday irish music bands playing whilst you sip the wine!
Noosa NP (walks, swims, views, koalas, turtles and dolphins etc)
Ferry rides - think its $39 for a family day pass on the Noosa Ferry, leaves from Noosa Harbour at Tewantin, drop offs and pick ups along the river, good fun
Noosa sunset - take cheese and wine, watch sunset over Laguna Bay whilst kids play on beach
Noosa River - lovely walk, playparks, BBQ facilities, can go for a paddle too
Noosa Everglades - can do a tour ($$$'s) or you can hire a kayak and go it alone! (no crocs apparently). Harry's Hut swimming hole pretty popular
Noosa snorkelling
Mount Tinbeerwah - fab lookout over Noosa and hinterland - takes 10 mins to climb, mossie up there evening and early morning!
Peregian Originals - held alternate Sundays behind the surf club, markets from 6-12 followed by gigs from local bands. Take a picnic and a bottle of wine!
Mount Coolum - great views!
Emu Mountain - again great views only takes 10 mins to get to the top!
Noosa North Shore - need a 4WD for this one, toilets at Teewah Beach day use area, coloured sands, great views, camal riding (yeah we haven't done that one). 4WD track through to Double Island Point and lighthouse. Great fishing!
Boreen Point - about 20mins from Tewantin, bath hot lake, great for sailing/kayking and also mud bathing! Lots of bush walks, history, day use areas and campsite.
Valley Rattler! Good old fashioned train trip across the Mary Valley through Imbil. Good fun, cheap!
Gold digging! Gympie, we haven't been, our kids not really interested in this one!
Maroochy River - again parks, bbq's, swimming etc Quite a busy area, wouldn't recommend it if you have small children as its close to main road.
Shopping - Maroochy Plaza - have to get here early for parking!
Lake Mcdonald - Cooroy, Noosa botanical gardens just gorgeous, plenty of bbq's, toilets, views, great for kayaking again

Hope this helps X
Old Feb 19th 2007, 1:33 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by glittababe
Ahh Mandi, you lot can hijack my thread anytime! OK things to do on sunshine coast (free things that is). Depends on what you like doing really. We love the outside so we spend time kayaking, cycling and bush walking. Beaches are always free, expecially if you prepare in advance and take a picnic and drinks!

Kondilia Falls NP (long walk there through rainforest, over 54km) - picnic areas, bbq facilities, toilets and of course the swimming holes
Montville - beautiful hinterland village, shopping, play park, Lake Baroon just down the road
Kenilworth 4WD - takes you into the forest, more swimming holes, day use areas with BBQ's and toilets
Eumundi Markets (wed and sats) - bit of culture! Treefellers restaurant there great! Eumundi Winery - Sunday irish music bands playing whilst you sip the wine!
Ferry rides - think its $39 for a family day pass on the Noosa Ferry, leaves from Noosa Harbour at Tewantin, drop offs and pick ups along the river, good fun
Noosa sunset - take cheese and wine, watch sunset over Laguna Bay whilst kids play on beach
Noosa Everglades - can do a tour ($$$'s) or you can hire a kayak and go it alone! (no crocs apparently). Harry's Hut swimming hole pretty popular
Noosa snorkelling
Mount Tinbeerwah - fab lookout over Noosa and hinterland - takes 10 mins to climb, mossie up there evening and early morning!
Peregian Originals - held alternate Sundays behind the surf club, markets from 6-12 followed by gigs from local bands. Take a picnic and a bottle of wine!
Noosa North Shore - need a 4WD for this one, toilets at Teewah Beach day use area, coloured sands, great views, camal riding (yeah we haven't done that one). 4WD track through to Double Island Point and lighthouse. Great fishing!
Boreen Point - about 20mins from Tewantin, bath hot lake, great for sailing/kayking and also mud bathing! Lots of bush walks, history, day use areas and campsite.
Valley Rattler! Good old fashioned train trip across the Mary Valley through Imbil. Good fun, cheap!
Gold digging! Gympie, we haven't been, our kids not really interested in this one!
Maroochy River - again parks, bbq's, swimming etc Quite a busy area, wouldn't recommend it if you have small children as its close to main road.
Lake Mcdonald - Cooroy, Noosa botanical gardens just gorgeous, plenty of bbq's, toilets, views, great for kayaking again

Hope this helps X
Awwww Glittababe, what can I say, thanks so much for going to all that trouble!! Will digest all that info and sned it on to my friend in the UK.

Is Noosa a good place as a base, my Dad has been there and fell in love with it and I notice it appears as several things to do around there. I think we will definately do a dau at the zoo, other than that we will work round your suggestions! How far would Noosa be driving from Brisbane Airport?

Thanks again

Nikki
Old Feb 19th 2007, 5:26 am
BE Forum Addict

glittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond repute

Awwww Glittababe, what can I say, thanks so much for going to all that trouble!! Will digest all that info and sned it on to my friend in the UK.

Is Noosa a good place as a base, my Dad has been there and fell in love with it and I notice it appears as several things to do around there. I think we will definately do a dau at the zoo, other than that we will work round your suggestions! How far would Noosa be driving from Brisbane Airport?

Thanks again

Nikki
Hi Nikki, it takes about 2 hrs to drive from the airport. Noosa's a good base but be warned holiday season near Hastings Street can be a nightmare for parking and driving.

Try these websites;

http://www.verano-noosaville.com.au/
http://www.tourismnoosa.com.au/
http://www.montvilleaccommodation.com.au/
http://www.sunshinecoast.org/
http://www.noosaferry.com/
http://www.eumundimarkets.com.au/
http://www.peregian-beach.com/
http://www.epa.qld.gov.au/projects/p....cgi?parkid=53
http://www.noosa.qld.gov.au/Services...lGardens.shtml
http://www.noosaeguide.com/around_no...ound_noosa.php
http://www.eumundibed.com/
http://www.beyondnoosa.com.au/
http://www.montvillegetaways.com.au/walks/index.html

Just a few to try! We stayed at the Verano when we first arrived, its just lovely, spacious and above all clean! Also stayed at Secrets on the Lake Montville - beautiful tho procey $285 per night (but it was a special occasion)!
Old Feb 19th 2007, 9:18 am

RooksieJ is an unknown quantity at this point

Told you so...LOL, cannot believe you have the house on the market, I know you said you were considering returning but now you are all guns blazing!!!

I wish you all the luck in the world.

Nikki x
Thanks Nikki - i feel so much better knowing Grace is on board. once house is sold (please God) we will be leaving on a jet plane!!
Old Feb 19th 2007, 9:20 am

Originally Posted by chance to be
Thats really good news Rooksie, you can start to get excited now !
I wasnt well either (depression) when the first time so feel the unfinished business thing. On the outside ppl v surprised when I said I was going back as good job, lots of friends, good school for kids etc but inside I felt I was dying and I NEEDED to go back in order to get better.
I dont like the thought of something beating me. Its not a better country - they both have good and bad in them, but it was a challenge that I didnt quite finish. Wouldnt even care if I went and came back again provided I thought I could hold my hand up and say i gave it 100%.
Thing is OH (who never wanted to come back) is understandably v apprehensive one, incase it turns out like last time So we will wait til we are both wanting to try again at the same time.
Perhaps itll happen, perhaps not. So for now be grateful for the UK and good lifestyle I have here, and all the other positives of which there are many of this country.
You are right though...Last time we lost all our money, nearly split up, went through so much grief i cant discuss here and here I am trying to tell him it'll be ok this time WE ARE DEFINATELY MAD!
have you jumped into my skin and taken over my life!?!? totally bizarre. emigrating can really put a strain on your relationship but coming back to UK and then back AGAIN to australia now that takes some beating in the strain on relationship stakes huh
Old Feb 19th 2007, 9:21 am

Noosa snorkelling

Hope this helps X

Bloody hell have you stopped for breath????

any chance of a guided tour mate
Old Feb 19th 2007, 9:24 am

Clippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond repute

Noosa snorkelling

Hope this helps X

Righ that's it, sod Perth - I'm coming there, sounds fab
Old Feb 19th 2007, 2:00 pm
Forum Regular

Location: herts-sydney-herts-manchester...next stop mornington peninsula?
mandoz will become famous soon enoughmandoz will become famous soon enough

Hi,

just wanted to join in your thread, if thats ok?

Bit about me....Six years in sydney- back to uk for 18months.
I agree that the stress of migrating was BAD!. We had such a tough time too.
OH found it impossible to find work and ended up with a career change...I also found it hard to get work. We lived with in-laws for 5months Arrrrgh!

18months on we are in a better position. BUT...I dont want to spend the rest of my life in the UK. Not sure I can go through the whole thing again....plus Sydney...as much as I love that place! Is a financial nightmare to live when you have a young family (part of the reason for coming back to uk)

Anyway just wanted to chat about some positives of going back. My little boys only 2 so at least he cant argue...YET

Anyway he is a true aussie anyway, (born there) bless him
Old Feb 19th 2007, 6:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

Scrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond repute

mandoz,

Hi and welcome! Well, as you probably know their are a few of us that are thinking of heading back, some more certain than others. It seems to be that most of us like both countries for different reasons. I can't really describe why the change of heart after 2 years of being back and it has shocked me to be honest.

All I do know is that it is a scary process and if you are like me you change your mind daily At least your son is young enough not to argue and refuse to go

Mandy
Old Feb 19th 2007, 6:31 pm
egghead4+becky

egghead4 has much to be proud ofegghead4 has much to be proud ofegghead4 has much to be proud ofegghead4 has much to be proud ofegghead4 has much to be proud ofegghead4 has much to be proud ofegghead4 has much to be proud ofegghead4 has much to be proud ofegghead4 has much to be proud ofegghead4 has much to be proud ofegghead4 has much to be proud of
Smile Re: An update from the Sunshine Coast

i think the penny just finally dropped. hey, i aint asking questions, know what i mean!!

well house is on the market. the two viewings we have had both like it and are sorting out finances but im not getting my hopes up on that score. took us 9 months to sell last time!!

yeeeaaah, I'm really pleased for you. fingers crossed that someone will fall in love with the house and you'll be on your way.
bec and egg
Old Feb 19th 2007, 6:33 pm
egghead4+becky

egghead4 has much to be proud ofegghead4 has much to be proud ofegghead4 has much to be proud ofegghead4 has much to be proud ofegghead4 has much to be proud ofegghead4 has much to be proud ofegghead4 has much to be proud ofegghead4 has much to be proud ofegghead4 has much to be proud ofegghead4 has much to be proud ofegghead4 has much to be proud of
Smile Re: An update from the Sunshine Coast

[QUOTE=glittababe;4419868]Ahh Mandi, you lot can hijack my thread anytime! OK things to do on sunshine coast (free things that is). Depends on what you like doing really. We love the outside so we spend time kayaking, cycling and bush walking. Beaches are always free, expecially if you prepare in advance and take a picnic and drinks!

SOLD!! thats the life I want, I gotta get me some of that!
you are a very good sales woman
bec and egg

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.