British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Update Forum (https://britishexpats.com/forum/update-forum-107/)
-   -   An update from the Sunshine Coast (https://britishexpats.com/forum/update-forum-107/update-sunshine-coast-424926/)

glittababe Feb 8th 2007 6:20 am

An update from the Sunshine Coast

5 Attachment(s)
Firstly condolences to the family in WA who so sadly lost their dad, such a tragedy, our thoughts are with you at this terrible terrible time.

We were going to do an update last week, but with such sad news just couldn't bring ourselves to do it.

So in brief;

http://www.glittababe007.blogspot.com/

The children are well, enjoying school and life - free spirited as ever. Work is great, although reduced hours mean less $$$'s. Mark is doing well, he's away from us all week but I'm just grateful we can see him weekend (and annoy him)! We have settled into the community well and have lots of friends both aussie and pom. To look and listen to the boys you'd never even think they'd been to the UK let alone were born there! Next month we have visitors from the UK coming over and also our friends from Melbourne popping up! Social lives busy!

Cameron got his first 7ft longboard the other day! After proving to us he was serious about surfing, signing up to Nippers and practising on the soft board for the past 10 mths we finally brought him his first longboard! He's chuffed to bits (and so are we, cost $220 from local pro surfer who let Cameron have it just cos he felt it was 'right')! Lucky lucky boy. Its a beautiful board and has a lot of history to go with it.

Have no plans to return to the UK for a while, have discussed it with kids and just don't feel the need! Anything I miss???? Yes, Bisto Gravy Granules!!!!!! Anything the kids miss??? Ummm nope! Will also attach some pics. Good luck to everyone moving this way, take care Annie,Mark and boys

glittababe Feb 8th 2007 9:33 am

Re: An update from the Sunshine Coast

5 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by glittababe (Post 4377080)
Firstly condolences to the family in WA who so sadly lost their dad, such a tragedy, our thoughts are with you at this terrible terrible time.

We were going to do an update last week, but with such sad news just couldn't bring ourselves to do it.

So in brief;

The children are well, enjoying school and life - free spirited as ever. Work is great, although reduced hours mean less $$$'s. Mark is doing well, he's away from us all week but I'm just grateful we can see him weekend (and annoy him)! We have settled into the community well and have lots of friends both aussie and pom. To look and listen to the boys you'd never even think they'd been to the UK let alone were born there! Next month we have visitors from the UK coming over and also our friends from Melbourne popping up! Social lives busy!

Cameron got his first 7ft longboard the other day! After proving to us he was serious about surfing, signing up to Nippers and practising on the soft board for the past 10 mths we finally brought him his first longboard! He's chuffed to bits (and so are we, cost $220 from local pro surfer who let Cameron have it just cos he felt it was 'right')! Lucky lucky boy. Its a beautiful board and has a lot of history to go with it.

Have no plans to return to the UK for a while, have discussed it with kids and just don't feel the need! Anything I miss???? Yes, Bisto Gravy Granules!!!!!! Anything the kids miss??? Ummm nope! Will also attach some pics. Good luck to everyone moving this way, take care Annie,Mark and boys

and some more pics!

suebrennan Feb 8th 2007 9:49 am

Originally Posted by glittababe (Post 4377550)
and some more pics!

Hey - great pics - thanks for taking the time to post.

Sue

Wendy Feb 8th 2007 10:47 am

Nice post Annie :)

Glad you are enjoying this beautiful country, and really pleased that your kiddies are doing well. I know mine have blossomed since being here, and that's what it's all about isn't it ;)

Scrawni 2 Feb 8th 2007 2:05 pm

Originally Posted by Wendy (Post 4377752)
Nice post Annie :)

Glad you are enjoying this beautiful country, and really pleased that your kiddies are doing well. I know mine have blossomed since being here, and that's what it's all about isn't it ;)

I remember you glitterbabe. So gland everything has work out for you and that you are now happy and settled. I loved reading your blog, some lovely photos on there. Anyway, we came back too but we are now thinking about heading out there again. It's just a thought though and we need to look into it further.

Anyway all the best and carry on enjoying life!

Mandy

RooksieJ Feb 8th 2007 5:00 pm

Originally Posted by glittababe (Post 4377080)

So in brief;

didnt realise you were on Sunshine Coast lady!!!! :thumbup: Good move :D

Happy Days J x

glittababe Feb 8th 2007 8:44 pm

Originally Posted by Scrawni 2 (Post 4378264)
I remember you glitterbabe. So gland everything has work out for you and that you are now happy and settled. I loved reading your blog, some lovely photos on there. Anyway, we came back too but we are now thinking about heading out there again. It's just a thought though and we need to look into it further.

Anyway all the best and carry on enjoying life!

Mandy

OMG where have you been? (aside from the UK)! Its a very diffciult decision, the UK does have a lot to offer. We found the decision to return very diffcult as we loved where we were and had good jobs etc. Something just wasn't right though. This time settling wasw so much easier, partly cos we chose the right area and partly cos we knew what to expect. No feelings of homesickness (even when hubby hadn't got a job after 10 mths - well aside from stacking shelves at Big W)!!! It really feels as if we hadn't left, just moved up the coast a bit. Our mates are mainly Aussie, but we have a few close expats too - all are great sounding boards if we ever need to talk! Our life in terms of general happiness is the same as the UK. We never came out here expecting life to be perfect, it helps that we're optimistic and just generally go with the flow.

The boys are also very laid back in their approach to life, they love living here although we have to remind them just how lucky they are. They're definately spoilt in terms of culture, but not material things!!! (no hope of that) Hope this helps if you're thinking of ping ponging! Its not as bad as it seems and it actual fact, a good aussie mate of mine told me that in her experience, those poms that stay are the ones who have ping ponged and the ones that appreciate and love not only Australia but the UK too.

RooksieJ Feb 8th 2007 9:01 pm

god i so hope youre right!!! :confused:

mark 'n' joe Feb 8th 2007 9:12 pm

Thanks for the update. Sounds like you are having a great time. Lovely pics

All the best.

Joex

Clippy Feb 9th 2007 7:39 am

Fantastic pics, great post :)

Scrawni 2 Feb 9th 2007 7:46 am

Originally Posted by glittababe (Post 4379549)
OMG where have you been? (aside from the UK)! Its a very diffciult decision, the UK does have a lot to offer. We found the decision to return very diffcult as we loved where we were and had good jobs etc. Something just wasn't right though. This time settling wasw so much easier, partly cos we chose the right area and partly cos we knew what to expect. No feelings of homesickness (even when hubby hadn't got a job after 10 mths - well aside from stacking shelves at Big W)!!! It really feels as if we hadn't left, just moved up the coast a bit. Our mates are mainly Aussie, but we have a few close expats too - all are great sounding boards if we ever need to talk! Our life in terms of general happiness is the same as the UK. We never came out here expecting life to be perfect, it helps that we're optimistic and just generally go with the flow.

The boys are also very laid back in their approach to life, they love living here although we have to remind them just how lucky they are. They're definately spoilt in terms of culture, but not material things!!! (no hope of that) Hope this helps if you're thinking of ping ponging! Its not as bad as it seems and it actual fact, a good aussie mate of mine told me that in her experience, those poms that stay are the ones who have ping ponged and the ones that appreciate and love not only Australia but the UK too.

Great to hear from you again. The strange thing is I never thought it would be me thinking about going back and trying again. If you had told me that 12 months ago I would have thought you were insane!

Now that I am thinking about it I cannot seem to shake the idea away. It's like and itch that I can't get rid of. I'm not sure if we will head back up to Cairns (although I loved the place) if we do go.

How did your family react to the idea of you heading back? That's the one of the things that I will dread. Unfortunately if we decide to return I think we are going to have a big struggle with our 12 year old. He didn't want to go last time and doesn't want to go this time. The thing is, I think he was feeding off my feeling and my homesickness and this is the first time I think that I have admitted that to myself.

Hubbie say if we go back then it's for good, so I had better be sure. But how sure is enough? I do love the uk so its not that I want to run away from this country. It has more to do with us as a family and lifestyle.

Mandy

RooksieJ Feb 9th 2007 8:16 am

Originally Posted by Scrawni 2 (Post 4380672)
Great to hear from you again. The strange thing is I never thought it would be me thinking about going back and trying again. If you had told me that 12 months ago I would have thought you were insane!

Now that I am thinking about it I cannot seem to shake the idea away. It's like and itch that I can't get rid of. I'm not sure if we will head back up to Cairns (although I loved the place) if we do go.

How did your family react to the idea of you heading back? That's the one of the things that I will dread. Unfortunately if we decide to return I think we are going to have a big struggle with our 12 year old. He didn't want to go last time and doesn't want to go this time. The thing is, I think he was feeding off my feeling and my homesickness and this is the first time I think that I have admitted that to myself.

Hubbie say if we go back then it's for good, so I had better be sure. But how sure is enough? I do love the uk so its not that I want to run away from this country. It has more to do with us as a family and lifestyle.

Mandy

BLOODY HELL are we leading parallel lives!?!?!?

exactly the same here. i cannot believe i am even contemplating going back i had such a rough time last year but like you i cant seem to get the idea out of my head. again, we also have an 11 year old (coming 12) who hated the idea of going before let alone for a second time!!

we got to keep in touch for sure!! ;)

snow-white Feb 9th 2007 8:46 am

Originally Posted by RooksieJ (Post 4380729)
BLOODY HELL are we leading parallel lives!?!?!?

exactly the same here. i cannot believe i am even contemplating going back i had such a rough time last year but like you i cant seem to get the idea out of my head. again, we also have an 11 year old (coming 12) who hated the idea of going before let alone for a second time!!

we got to keep in touch for sure!! ;)

so theres a few of you on here who have been came back and want to go again?
how long were you all there before you decided you wanted to come back and was it just missing friends and family that made you come back
lesley

RooksieJ Feb 9th 2007 8:57 am

Originally Posted by lesleyhunter79 (Post 4380806)
so theres a few of you on here who have been came back and want to go again?
how long were you all there before you decided you wanted to come back and was it just missing friends and family that made you come back
lesley

bit unique really - i discovered i was pregnant the day we landed in brisbane!!!! i get very bad hyperemesis and spent the whole time we were there (grand total of 6 weeks!!!) in bed. i thought "fekk this" and we came home. baby born last november (we now have 3 girls) and we are thinking "bugger! why didnt we stay!?!" :o

yeah i missed friends and family but to be honest we really didnt experience life in Oz at all. i think we need to write off last year and start over! my main concern is our eldest daughter who didnt want to go first time round let alone second! she is going to be a nightmare! :eek:

glittababe Feb 9th 2007 10:04 am

Originally Posted by RooksieJ (Post 4380819)
bit unique really - i discovered i was pregnant the day we landed in brisbane!!!! i get very bad hyperemesis and spent the whole time we were there (grand total of 6 weeks!!!) in bed. i thought "fekk this" and we came home. baby born last november (we now have 3 girls) and we are thinking "bugger! why didnt we stay!?!" :o

yeah i missed friends and family but to be honest we really didnt experience life in Oz at all. i think we need to write off last year and start over! my main concern is our eldest daughter who didnt want to go first time round let alone second! she is going to be a nightmare! :eek:

that is unique, I think you're you're right to write it all off and start again! Congrats on littlen, it'll be fab coming back, once the flights are over and done with, kids are settled at school etc Just remember to give it all time, time to settle, time to get a job - you can quickly become very disillusioned with oz when you haven't found reg income after 6 mths!!!! We just stuck it out, enjoyed every day as much as poss and kept on trying (my dad always said I was very trying)! I found work within the first week or so of landing, so I was the one that had to work full time, Mark found this very difficult but being the determined lad he is, he took to doing the house husband stuff and worked evenings stacking shelves. Luckily all thats behind us now.

Try not to get too caught up in what everyone else is doing (expats). Everyone is different and you'll find some folk buying straight away, others renting etc Just do whats best for you, your family and your finances. Don't compare!