Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Update Forum
Reload this Page >

An update from the Sunshine Coast

An update from the Sunshine Coast

Old Feb 9th 2007, 10:09 am

RooksieJ is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: An update from the Sunshine Coast

Originally Posted by glittababe
that is unique, I think you're you're right to write it all off and start again! Congrats on littlen, it'll be fab coming back, once the flights are over and done with, kids are settled at school etc Just remember to give it all time, time to settle, time to get a job - you can quickly become very disillusioned with oz when you haven't found reg income after 6 mths!!!! We just stuck it out, enjoyed every day as much as poss and kept on trying (my dad always said I was very trying)! I found work within the first week or so of landing, so I was the one that had to work full time, Mark found this very difficult but being the determined lad he is, he took to doing the house husband stuff and worked evenings stacking shelves. Luckily all thats behind us now.

Try not to get too caught up in what everyone else is doing (expats). Everyone is different and you'll find some folk buying straight away, others renting etc Just do whats best for you, your family and your finances. Don't compare!
THANKS MATE.

Plan A is jed gets plumbing work but we have a Plan B which is me travelling into Brisbane and working until he can get a job so hopefully things should work out.

hopefully see you soon eh!
Old Feb 9th 2007, 10:11 am
BE Forum Addict

glittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scrawni 2
Great to hear from you again. The strange thing is I never thought it would be me thinking about going back and trying again. If you had told me that 12 months ago I would have thought you were insane!

Now that I am thinking about it I cannot seem to shake the idea away. It's like and itch that I can't get rid of. I'm not sure if we will head back up to Cairns (although I loved the place) if we do go.

How did your family react to the idea of you heading back? That's the one of the things that I will dread. Unfortunately if we decide to return I think we are going to have a big struggle with our 12 year old. He didn't want to go last time and doesn't want to go this time. The thing is, I think he was feeding off my feeling and my homesickness and this is the first time I think that I have admitted that to myself.

Hubbie say if we go back then it's for good, so I had better be sure. But how sure is enough? I do love the uk so its not that I want to run away from this country. It has more to do with us as a family and lifestyle.

Mandy
Our situation was different in that we'd discussed it and quickly realised we were living in the wrong area, so the kids were well aware we'd be heading back. The boys were excited more than anything, they didn't really want to go back to the UK in the first place, it was a case of having too! They knew they'd only have 12mths in the UK and we really made the most of it and enjoyed our time back there.

Family also knew we were only back temporarily - not that they cared either way really - nuff said about them (rather disfunctional family)!

We've never said its for good - too much pressure on us. I can't see us going back. We have too much here now; friends, work, lifestyle etc All positive changes.
Old Feb 9th 2007, 10:15 am
BE Forum Addict

glittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RooksieJ
THANKS MATE.

Plan A is jed gets plumbing work but we have a Plan B which is me travelling into Brisbane and working until he can get a job so hopefully things should work out.

definately! Plumbing work will be good! Just get those CV's together and go around all the work sites and building companies handing them in! Lots of grafting and you might not hear anything for a while, but you have to try and it is so much harder here to get a job. Did you know 85% of jobs aren't advertised? Its all word of mouth and who you know! Can be so frustrating! I got my job by cold calling surgeries and clinics. It paid off, 3rd day of letter dropping and cold calling I was offered a job - just 2 days a week at first, but it was a start. After 6 mths I changed companies and got full time work.
Old Feb 9th 2007, 12:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

Scrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RooksieJ
THANKS MATE.

Well what can I say? We have been heading down the same paths haven't we?

It's a shame that you didn't get to try the 'real ozzie experience' what with being ill. We stayed 9mths in the end.

I mentioned it to my son for the first time the other night and he wouldn't even discuss it so yes, I do have some work to do with him if we ever decide to try again. I know our daughter just won't come as she has a boyfriend, job etc.

I didn't work whilst we were there, we choose the wrong location house wise, so that's something I would change. My husband would be made up if I decide to go for it but the thought of all that stress again is not making it any easier. It seems that Australia has been in our lives for the last 5 years and keeps bugging us!

Mandy
Old Feb 11th 2007, 12:16 am
BE Forum Addict

s-jmelbournewannabe has a reputation beyond reputes-jmelbournewannabe has a reputation beyond reputes-jmelbournewannabe has a reputation beyond reputes-jmelbournewannabe has a reputation beyond reputes-jmelbournewannabe has a reputation beyond reputes-jmelbournewannabe has a reputation beyond reputes-jmelbournewannabe has a reputation beyond reputes-jmelbournewannabe has a reputation beyond reputes-jmelbournewannabe has a reputation beyond reputes-jmelbournewannabe has a reputation beyond reputes-jmelbournewannabe has a reputation beyond repute

Lovely post Annie, I do enjoy your stories. Your gonna have to teach me how to take piccies like that! Your Boys are adorable, Abi might agree with me....

They look like Aussie kids to me thou, are you sure they're yours!

keep up the good work hun! S-j x
Old Feb 11th 2007, 2:30 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by s-jmelbournewannabe
Lovely post Annie, I do enjoy your stories. Your gonna have to teach me how to take piccies like that! Your Boys are adorable, Abi might agree with me....

They look like Aussie kids to me thou, are you sure they're yours!

keep up the good work hun! S-j x
wouldn't it be fab to hand them over to someone else for a few hours! Can't escape them, every 5 mins its 'Muummmmmmm'! Just got back from brunch at Moondoggy Cafe in Noosa, lovely but we're feeling very hot and very tired! Time for a cool shower!
Old Feb 11th 2007, 11:15 am

tiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond repute

wouldn't it be fab to hand them over to someone else for a few hours! Can't escape them, every 5 mins its 'Muummmmmmm'! Just got back from brunch at Moondoggy Cafe in Noosa, lovely but we're feeling very hot and very tired! Time for a cool shower!

oi, im first in the queue for handing out my kids ... lol

fab update annie, kids look like they are having a whale of a time!!!

sue x
Old Feb 13th 2007, 2:45 pm
Forum Regular

MRS G will become famous soon enough

Hi there Annie, we are thinking of going to the Sunshine Coast if we eventually get there but how do you and the kids find the heat and humidity? That's one thing thats starting to worry me. We want to go for the weather but don't know how the kids will find it.

Claire
Old Feb 13th 2007, 3:57 pm
Forum Regular

theyoungs has much to be proud oftheyoungs has much to be proud oftheyoungs has much to be proud oftheyoungs has much to be proud oftheyoungs has much to be proud oftheyoungs has much to be proud oftheyoungs has much to be proud oftheyoungs has much to be proud oftheyoungs has much to be proud oftheyoungs has much to be proud oftheyoungs has much to be proud of

Rooksie and Scrawnie2 we're all reading and following the same threads!

Our situations are sssooo similiar it is untrue. My uncooperative one is coming10. However, following our first negative experience I suppose you can't blame him really.

When/if you return where are you planning on heading to?

I think to myself, why do I want to put us all through that again?

Usually, sacrifices have to be made to obtain something really worthwhile.

Expensive sacrifice though

Michelle
Old Feb 13th 2007, 4:02 pm

RooksieJ is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by theyoungs
Rooksie and Scrawnie2 we're all reading and following the same threads!

Our situations are sssooo similiar it is untrue. My uncooperative one is coming10. However, following our first negative experience I suppose you can't blame him really.

When/if you return where are you planning on heading to?

I think to myself, why do I want to put us all through that again?

Usually, sacrifices have to be made to obtain something really worthwhile.

Expensive sacrifice though

Michelle

Hi - i am so glad i am not the only one who is loco

We are looking at Gold Coast and Sunshine Coast. At least we know what the sunshine coast is like i guess!!

i am constantly beating myself up over the whole thing. i cant go on like this so i think i just need to take a leap of faith and get on with it otherwise im going to end up a total basket case
Old Feb 13th 2007, 4:32 pm
Forum Regular

theyoungs has much to be proud oftheyoungs has much to be proud oftheyoungs has much to be proud oftheyoungs has much to be proud oftheyoungs has much to be proud oftheyoungs has much to be proud oftheyoungs has much to be proud oftheyoungs has much to be proud oftheyoungs has much to be proud oftheyoungs has much to be proud oftheyoungs has much to be proud of

But don't you find that once you have made up your mind you are really positive with all guns blazing and then for no apparent reason mr negative starts rearing his ugly head again and then you start to doubt yourself.

I feel as though I'm stuck on a bloody roundabout

I think I'm getting to a point now where I might just take the plunge and step off .........perhaps!

I'm quite envious of you and hiddenpaw because I think that you have reached that point where the needle is well and truly in the "let's go" stage.

When are you thinking about going?

Michelle
Old Feb 13th 2007, 4:37 pm
Forum Regular

I'm reading back through my threads and I am suddenly realising how negative I sound!!!!

Looks so different when it is in black and white.

I think I may have just given myself some therapy!!!

Long overdue perhaps.

Michelle
Old Feb 13th 2007, 5:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by MRS G
Hi there Annie, we are thinking of going to the Sunshine Coast if we eventually get there but how do you and the kids find the heat and humidity? That's one thing thats starting to worry me. We want to go for the weather but don't know how the kids will find it.

Claire
we survive better with the heat and humidity! Kids have asthma made worst when temps drop below 20, in the UK it was a huge prob (nebulisers, oral steroids etc), here we've only had one episode of wheeziness (caused by climbing up a mountain on a cooler day, cloud descending, rain etc etc)!

The boys complain of feeling chilly when it's around 25 degrees. I think you just adapt and aclimatise. The one thing we've found is when its hot (around 38 degrees) the Aussies moan about 'how hot it is'! I had one lady seek refuge from the heat in our air conditioned building at work. She was in her 60's, born and bred here and she was telling me how she just can't cope with the heat, this was closely followed by a lengthy discussion with other patients and our receptionist telling me how awful it all was. You'd think they'd be used to it by now?

We haven't got air con at home, manage with ceiling fans on hot days. No air con at the school either - poor kids!
Old Feb 13th 2007, 6:15 pm
Forum Regular

MRS G will become famous soon enough

we survive better with the heat and humidity! Kids have asthma made worst when temps drop below 20, in the UK it was a huge prob (nebulisers, oral steroids etc), here we've only had one episode of wheeziness (caused by climbing up a mountain on a cooler day, cloud descending, rain etc etc)!

The boys complain of feeling chilly when it's around 25 degrees. I think you just adapt and aclimatise. The one thing we've found is when its hot (around 38 degrees) the Aussies moan about 'how hot it is'! I had one lady seek refuge from the heat in our air conditioned building at work. She was in her 60's, born and bred here and she was telling me how she just can't cope with the heat, this was closely followed by a lengthy discussion with other patients and our receptionist telling me how awful it all was. You'd think they'd be used to it by now?

We haven't got air con at home, manage with ceiling fans on hot days. No air con at the school either - poor kids!

Thanks for that. I think I would rather be too hot than too cold anyway lol. Hope to see you on the sunshine coast but it will be a couple of years before we get out there though.

Claire
Old Feb 13th 2007, 6:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

Scrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi all,

Well, we originally moved to Cairns, now it gets very humid up their but we arrived in July and had to wear jumpers in the evening. However summer are very warm but to be honest you get used to it. Saying that we went to Brisbane first and it was bloody freezing in the mornings in July.

It helped our sons asthma no end and we had no problems on that front. They all have to wear hats at school and alot take ice drinks with them. The only problem we found was he sports, he used to flake out cause of the weather.

By the time we left the aircon was on less and less

Mandy

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.